• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I googled "Malcolm the Hedgehog" and this was the first result:

iu

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fun thread and all, but what the tonedeaf hell is up with this?
That's not a joke. At least in script stage this was a popular ongoing rumor, with sonic being criminal who dislikes cops and movie makes him realize how great they are.

Also, I super appreciate the effort to marginalize the African American struggle in the most disingenuous way possible.
That's an unapt statement in my opinion. I mean, I'll start off with saying I'm whiter then Vanilla Ice, so my opinion is iffy in general, but I'm gonna explain.

I think taking elements of black figures you find inspiring and putting them into other characters is something that happens all the time. For explain, Xavier and Magneto from X-Men are heavily based on MLK and Malcolm X, but both are white old guys. The genius of the concept here may be that they're white to allow those who wouldn't relate to such figures have a way to finally understand them in some way, even if through a fantasy setting, but still there is a element of taking what you want from activist figures throughout pop culture (it sucks Malcolm X got Magento considering how varying and radical he gets though to a point I think X would even go "...yeah no").

Now as others have said, Sonic already takes from multiple sources. Santa, Michael Jackson, Bill Clinton, etc. For his personality. As a marginlized group in universe and freedom fighter it wouldn't be hard to find elements of X in Sonic, as others have done, and it's even curious if there was some original intent on the creators.

I'm sorry if I offended here, but my point sums up to I think even if a character seems ridiculous in comparison and a bit silly with how far it is I don't think that makes any possible inspiration for important black figures insulting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this topic was made retroactively, someone linked you to the song and you made a thread? Since you say it's a song that places "through a level Sonic races through", but that's the final boss song from Sonic Rush when you're Super Sonic flying in space fighting this Dinosaur mecha thing with a saber sword.

But to answer, the soundtrack was made by the same person who did the soundtrack for Jet Set Radio, who loves using samples in his songs.

I'm aware of hideki naganuna and his use of samples until they become something wonderful. Its a pretty great use of the sample. I also consider that segment a "level" from memory, but yeah looking at it, it's just a boss fight.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of Serious answer to your joke thread.

All sonic characters are pretty much anti establishment, anti discrimination and all that. That's kind of a pervasive theme in a lot of sonic stuff, ( along with eviroment friendly themes ) treating people how they want to be treated no matter who they are, fighting the ( egg) MAN , and in some cases the actual man in the case of GUN.

The only characters who even associate themselves with an establishment figure in universe, are a thief, and her Two friends who dont like the establishment but it pays them to puch monsters in the face. One of them ( shadow ) being a hedgehog who Canonically strait up kills cops and Feds before that point. Thematically relevant to the sample, was too black and too strong for the feds so they just hired him to stop beating them up.

If we were to talk about knuckles, there's legit a lot of very intentional invocation of some native American stuff in his backstory. The last of people, guy coming though trying to deceive knuckles and take his land direct imagery in some cases like the aztech inspired stuff like in sonic adventure

And if we were to jump into more recent stuff, Sonic forces Is legit all of them fighting against a dictatorship headed by the only human, the embodyment of industrialism that literally wants to enslave them. The (egg) MAN

So yeah, Sonic and friends are very much anti establishment, anti discrimination , anti fascism , anti environmental destruction. So yeah sonic and crew feels the plight of the animals and actively fights for them.

Knuckles is a bit of a libertarian though

Best post so far tbh

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought that it was common knowledge that the Freedom Fighters took a lot of inspiration from ANTIFA

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
That's not a joke. At least in script stage this was a popular ongoing rumor, with sonic being criminal who dislikes cops and movie makes him realize how great they are.

That's an unapt statement in my opinion. I mean, I'll start off with saying I'm whiter then Vanilla Ice, so my opinion is iffy in general, but I'm gonna explain.

I think taking elements of black figures you find inspiring and putting them into other characters is something that happens all the time. For explain, Xavier and Magneto from X-Men are heavily based on MLK and Malcolm X, but both are white old guys. The genius of the concept here may be that they're white to allow those who wouldn't relate to such figures have a way to finally understand them in some way, even if through a fantasy setting, but still there is a element of taking what you want from activist figures throughout pop culture (it sucks Malcolm X got Magento considering how varying and radical he gets though to a point I think X would even go "...yeah no").

Now as others have said, Sonic already takes from multiple sources. Santa, Michael Jackson, Bill Clinton, etc. For his personality. As a marginlized group in universe and freedom fighter it wouldn't be hard to find elements of X in Sonic, as others have done, and it's even curious if there was some original intent on the creators.

I'm sorry if I offended here, but my point sums up to I think even if a character seems ridiculous in comparison and a bit silly with how far it is I don't think that makes any possible inspiration for important black figures insulting.

How the fuck are old white men with powers more relatable exactly

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
It's okay, to be honest I think most played Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid and didn't catch on about the game's plot. The plot is kinda' strange, but it's not actually a terrible plot honestly, just a bit strange. To summarize it a bit more, the core of the story is about Dr. Eggman's grandfather, who was the first person to build a space colony and was a genius, and created Shadow (after another failed experiment, who is the final boss of SA2). Shadow was made to be a weapon but found humanity in the little girl, Maria, but when the government tried to seize Eggman's grandfather's research, they shot down Maria, captured Shadow, and made him spiteful. He now wants to carry out revenge for what the government did to Maria, and put into motion Robotnik's grandfather revenge scheme, since he also lost Maria to the government, and though he is imprisoned he uses Shadow to put into motion a plot to collide the Space Colony with the Earth to eradicate all of it.

Meanwhile, Sonic is hunted as a stand-in for government to save face for their actions, to which Sonic isn't going to have any of that and puts into motion to stop the revenge plot in motion and clear his name, and some other elements involving the other characters. It's kinda' a wacky plot, but it was a 2001 game, and video game plots were kinda' strange but fascinating back then (Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil games, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Super Mario Sunshine, and other such games kinda' show the weird era of video game storytelling that period of time was).
Shadow was actually created as a way to cure Maria's NIDS, the Sonic universe's version of AIDS. I'm not making this up.