• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
it is heavily inspired by the things that inspired dark souls, yes.

i first found out about this movie because a person who goes to school for religious history was excited it was the type of stuff she had been studying.

im not gonna be too mean about this because everyone starts learning from different places, but try to remember that nothing springs fully formed from nowhere. there's always a long history.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I can't believe they ripped off Dark Souls in Arturian legends centuries before the west and japan even met!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are butts. I'll bump this thread in a year when the director does an interview and calls it out
David Lowery is not a gamer. On Davids episode of Blank Check he says he doesn't play video games/own a console( 42 minutes in).

Maybe whoever is doing the production/art design for the film likes dark souls. But its just as likely they like Berserk or a thousand other dark fantasy properties.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If Miyazaki was so lacking in influences outside recent video games you wouldn't have a Dark Souls.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
OP should probably start off by saying that Dark Souls is just basically From's homage to the Berserk manga. Dark Souls didn't create dark fantasy either and its pretty obvious a good portion of its designs are heavily inspired by Kentaro Miura's art.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I'm not going to lie I jokingly said to my friends the green knight at the end looks just like the giant dad mask but like come on lol

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
gIJeAb4.jpg

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I was ready to disagree with you until I watch it and compare it to the director's past works. Yeah, the movie or the way this trailer was edited made it seems like it was inspired by it.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I saw none of that, especially considering that it's an adapatation, so really feels like you're reaching. I'm really not a fan of how so many are quick to slap the 'soulslike' label to everything. It sure didn't reinvent the wheel nor rock the gaming world, though it sure has its fair share of omages.

Trailer was super dope though, and movie looks great. Hope it holds up

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just curious what the OP saw in the trailer that was specifically Dark Souls inspired and not dark medieval fantasy in general, because I can't see it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is like "BOTW invented open world" narrative but way worse. It feels like OP is just trolling us though lol

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I'll defend you OP.

The shot of the hand reaching over the hill did remind me of the scale and tone of some soulsborne stuff.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
The adaptation of the 14th century poem that's a literary classic, riffing on Dark Souls? Yes OP, I can see it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely see the relationship there.

Just because dark souls didn't invent dark fantasy doesn't mean there can't be dark souls vibes. The big hand especially and the way it was presented felt VERY much FROM's style.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The adaptation of the 14th century poem that's a literary classic, riffing on Dark Souls? Yes OP, I can see it.

OP isn't saying that the subject matter is inspired by dark souls. They're saying stylistically the presentation is very dark souls. And it is. Just because dark souls didn't invent it doesn't matter. Plus...I'm struggling to think of something that conveys dark fantasy the same way dark souls does.

Because I've read the poem. It's like impossible to parse, and even translated it's not exactly the scariest thing ever, even if the subject matter is somewhat scary/dark iirc. It absolutely doesn't have to be turned into dark fantasy or be presented how it is.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Just because dark souls didn't invent dark fantasy doesn't mean there can't be dark souls vibes. The big hand especially and the way it was presented felt VERY much FROM's style.
The movie doesn't look like FROM style, FROM uses the most common dark fantasy aesthetic.
Jesus.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Spot on! I can't wait to see a movie inspired by Bloodborne next, the way it combines gothic and horror is something that's never been done before!

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

...reminds me of Slan's introduction during the Eclipse before the Band of the Hawk were slaughtered and devoured.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The movie doesn't look like FROM style, FROM uses the most common dark fantasy aesthetic.
Jesus.

...so it looks like dark souls.

Can you show me some other movie trailers that fit this aesthetic if it's so well established?

...reminds me of Slan's introduction during the Eclipse before the Band of the Hawk were slaughtered and devoured.

Berzerk doesn't have cinematic language and camera motion to resemble.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...what? It physically doesn't. Berzerk is not a movie. You absolutely could look to it's presentation as a physical medium for inspiration for cinematic display, but that's not the same as the actual techniques used.
Just because we all want to forget it happened doesn't change the fact that this is still a thing
O7rNvB.gif