• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Going with no, but kudos for bringing this movie to my attention, that soundtrack has me salivating, that's my shit.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are we finally getting a sequel to Black Knight!?
images
One of my buddies had a Berenstain moment where he SWORE Martin Lawrence was in a King Arthur movie called "Mertlin", like a combo of Martin and Merlin.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Finally the Dark Souls of movies are upon us! Looking forward to the coming soulsbornekiro movie.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There is an episode of Doctor Who called Heaven Sent that seems more inspired by the uniqueness of Dark Souls than this ever will be

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not seeing it, OP, sorry. They both have a creepy medieval fantasy vibe? But that's kind of it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The Dark Souls of This Summer

I'm partially with you OP, it's taking some of Souls' atmosphere for sure. Might be by chance, might be on purpose.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Sometimes, just sometimes, it's a nice idea to turn the console off and go for a walk, read a book or watch a film...anything to broaden your horizon and points of reference a bit.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
this is hilarious because

1. no, obviously, but

2. the guy ritchie king arthur movie that came out a couple years ago has a CGI boss fight with a respawn mechanic and circle strafing

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
This is the reason why i am not a huge fan of the dark souls community. Some people really think these games are the centre of the universe. I will never forget how a german website (i forgot who it was) said that Monster Hunter World is inspired by Dark Souls. Like... wtf? A series way older than Dark Souls...

It is pretty annoying.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For strange reasons I expected a dude "fat rolling" in the trailer.

But I think you may be on to something. Dark Souls is such a cultural phenomenon that its art style has started to flow over into architecture and art.
Dark Fantasy is the new black.

milan_cathedral_from_wfk9u.jpg

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone knows it's the first film in the Castle Crashers cinematic universe.

Shows the origin of the Green Knight.

latest

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but to me it doenst look at all like DS...
DS is a ruined world, were there are merely human beings... dark and magic.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Would be nice if OP came back to this backfire and at least gave examples of why he thinks the film looks like Dark Souls.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Well it clearly bears no resemblence to Dark Souls in particular whatsoever, but thanks for bringing this movie to my attention I guess LOL

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
...what? It physically doesn't. Berzerk is not a movie. You absolutely could look to it's presentation as a physical medium for inspiration for cinematic display, but that's not the same as the actual techniques used.
Wait, even if you reference the 90s TV show, Berserk still has cinematic properties. It doesn't have to be direct-to-cinema to be 'cinematic'.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason why i am not a huge fan of the dark souls community. Some people really think these games are the centre of the universe. I will never forget how a german website (i forgot who it was) said that Monster Hunter World is inspired by Dark Souls. Like... wtf? A series way older than Dark Souls...

It is pretty annoying.
Depending on what they mean, MH could both be an old series and taking cues from Dark Souls in a new entry.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Good lord, no. What the hell is wrong with people? I like Dark Souls as much as the next person, but it does not have exclusive rights to medieval / gothic fantasy.

As for the film itself, A24 put out some hugely misleading trailers, but given that this comes from David Lowery - who has never made a bad film - I'm optimistic. I don't think I've seen Dev Patel play anything close to an "action" lead before, so I'm interested to see how that turns out as well.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Wait, even if you reference the 90s TV show, Berserk still has cinematic properties. It doesn't have to be direct-to-cinema to be 'cinematic'.

And Berserk's take on fantasy is heavily inspired by the work of Michael Moorkcock's Eternal Champion Saga, in particular the Eric stories.
Everyone rips everyone else off :)

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to make a snarky reply but OP has been beaten to death already.