• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah it does look like it was inspired by dark souls visually. A24 has a style that is Gothic and eastern European looking much more DS.

So I'll go to bat for you OP.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Can't wait for the scene where Gawain rests at a bonfire for the night during his travels and then everything respawns the following morning.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the intro with a king getting crowned and immediately bursting into flames is pretty Dark Souls-like, but I wouldn't have made that connection without the OP prompting it. And that's about where anything remotely resembling souls stops.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
This thread is viral marketing and you all fell for it.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Poor OP is getting murdered.

To take the heat off, everyone should check out this trailer to Excalibur (1981), which no doubt had a great influence on Berserk, and eventually Dark Souls.

Where did you get this idea from? Any interviews from the creators to support this or are you making an assumption on simply seeing similar elements?

Edit:
And Berserk's take on fantasy is heavily inspired by the work of Michael Moorkcock's Eternal Champion Saga, in particular the Eric stories.
Everyone rips everyone else off :)

I pose same question to you as well.

Last edited:

OcelotUnit64

Jan 22, 2020
7Lu9n15.jpg

I actually read this pretty recently. Definitely not inspired by Dark Souls, if anything it's the other way round.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
With 5 pages in I'm sure this was pointed out dozens of times, but OP... Dark Souls was inspired by Arthurian legends, my guy. The Green Knight is an Arthurian legend.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense that the 500 year old poem based on even older legendary cycle that are part of the foundations of modern fantasy such that common elements can be found in works of that lineage?

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Tonally, I 100% see it OP. Dark Souls took a lot of fantasy tropes and applied a very specific tone to them, and this trailer definitely has vibes of that same tone. If it turned out that Dark Souls was an inspiration, I wouldn't be surprised.

To all the people shitting on the OP, do you think that there's nothing noteworthy about Dark Souls' approach to dark fantasy? Maybe there isn't anything special about it, but if so, I need some fucking book recommendations. Hit me up with all of these books that share Dark Souls' tone, because the closest I've found is probably like, the Book of the New Sun, and even that is pretty radically different. I've read a decent amount of dark fantasy, but it usually veers more grimdark or bitter in tone than the lonely melancholy of Souls.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Tonally, I 100% see it OP. Dark Souls took a lot of fantasy tropes and applied a very specific tone to them, and this trailer definitely has vibes of that same tone. If it turned out that Dark Souls was an inspiration, I wouldn't be surprised.

To all the people shitting on the OP, do you think that there's nothing noteworthy about Dark Souls' approach to dark fantasy? Maybe there isn't anything special about it, but if so, I need some fucking book recommendations. Hit me up with all of these books that share Dark Souls' tone, because the closest I've found is probably like, the Book of the New Sun, and even that is pretty radically different. I've read a decent amount of dark fantasy, but it usually veers more grimdark or bitter in tone than the lonely melancholy of Souls.

In fitting with the Arthurian theme, give Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles a try.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Try The Name of the Wind. It's not identical to Dark Souls (it's more, er, populated) but it hits the same notes of isolation and melancholy in a decaying world.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
In fitting with the Arthurian theme, give Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles a try.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

Try The Name of the Wind. It's not identical to Dark Souls (it's more, er, populated) but it hits the same notes of isolation and melancholy in a decaying world.

That sounds promising. Most of what I've heard about the Kingkiller Chronicles is complaints about the second book, but I guess I should try it out. (but I'll probably wait until he finishes the third book. I don't want another ASOIAF situation.)

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Plumbing was also a profession invented after Super Mario came out, most people dont know this

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
That sounds promising. Most of what I've heard about the Kingkiller Chronicles is complaints about the second book, but I guess I should try it out. (but I'll probably wait until he finishes the third book. I don't want another ASOIAF situation.)
I have not actually gotten around to the second book (in part because of the same complaints and fears as you), but The Name of the Wind is great. I was really pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. I definitely hope you get the chance to get around to it some time.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Y'all are butts. I'll bump this thread in a year when the director does an interview and calls it out
I can see how maybe it inspired some aspects of the movie like say the atmosphere of it and the feel. But that's very vague and it could have come from many things, not necessarily Dark Souls. Movie looks interesting though, will check it out. Hopefully you're right just to see you shove it in everyone's face 😂

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You're all laughing at the OP now but when the it is shown that the the entire movie is just some guy reading item descriptions, you're gonna feel embarrassed.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Where did you get this idea from? Any interviews from the creators to support this or are you making an assumption on simply seeing similar elements?

Edit:

I pose same question to you as well.

Well, I think it would be pretty churlish to assume that a mangaka wouldn't be well read enough to be aware of other works of fiction that are based around a similar narrative to the one they work on, don't you?
The first Elric story was published in 1961, Beserk started in 1989.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Books can't emulate Souls games, because they typically need an actual story instead of packing everything interesting in item descriptions you find in a world where everything interesting has already happened.

And no, I don't think there's anything noteworthy about Souls' approach to dark fantasy.

Yes I am a hater and you can safely disregard my opinion.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking Hellraiser

The cenobites were I believe an inspiration for the God Hand but the whole Ryo/Akira dynamic is pretty prevalent in Berserk even down to the traditional white and black hair colors and you know everything going to shit and fucking over all the characters. That and Miura sure loves his monsters with random faces and body parts in places where they shouldn't be.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
because its like if there was a cabinent of dr caligari remake and someone went "this new movie looks heavily inspired by tim burton"

Just because it is based on Arthurian legend doesn't mean it couldn't also be inspired by Dark Souls. I'm guessing OP wasn't referring to the themes/subject matter, but the atmosphere/art direction.