• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just because it is based on Arthurian legend doesn't mean it couldn't also be inspired by Dark Souls. I'm guessing OP wasn't referring to the themes/subject matter, but the atmosphere/art direction.
The art direction that looks more like medieval art come to life than Dark Souls specifically?

Its wild you would assume im not talking about the art direction. What do you think my comparison to dr caligari and tim burton was about?

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Books can't emulate Souls games, because they typically need an actual story instead of packing everything interesting in item descriptions you find in a world where everything interesting has already happened.

And no, I don't think there's anything noteworthy about Souls' approach to dark fantasy.

Yes I am a hater and you can safely disregard my opinion.

I was talking about tone, not narrative or lore. Books don't have to emulate the storytelling structure of Souls to emulate its tone, just like a film doesn't need to have item descriptions to share its tone with Dark Souls. Souls games like to present a world that is meant to evoke a kind of melancholy reverence, but also revulsion and fear, and in a way that makes those conflicting feelings inextricably linked. It's a really specific tone that I haven't encountered elsewhere (Book of the New Sun comes close but emphasizes the horrors of its world in a very different way).

Now while the final film may not share this tone, I think the trailer absolutely does. The opening shot is of the knight adorned with symbols of royally, along with text that indicates a degree of reverence for this old situation. Then, the halo makes contact and he bursts into flames. It links the divinity of his figure with the horror of being burned alive. That feels like something that would be right at home in Dark Souls. It might not translate to the film, since the text won't be there, and that could mean a totally different context, but I can say the trailer feels Soulsy.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Just because it is based on Arthurian legend doesn't mean it couldn't also be inspired by Dark Souls. I'm guessing OP wasn't referring to the themes/subject matter, but the atmosphere/art direction.
Nothing from the trailer looks lifted from Dark Souls, except perhaps things that Dark Souls lifted from past works.

Gamers need to get out of the gaming bubble and experience other media - including old movies. Not everything is 'inspired by [X] game'

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yup. It's kind of like how Sekiro inspired things like Seven Samurai etc.
giphy.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reminds me of how anime fans think every other new media was influenced by anime.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
When I was a kid, I got really excited when I realized that HP Lovecraft talked about the Necronomicon from Evil Dead, and I wondered how in the world he knew about it--I mean, I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time, but I seriously started to wonder if the Necronomicon was a real thing.

Don't feel bad OP. We all get it wrong sometimes.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think it would be pretty churlish to assume that a mangaka wouldn't be well read enough to be aware of other works of fiction that are based around a similar narrative to the one they work on, don't you?
The first Elric story was published in 1961, Beserk started in 1989.

From an entirely different culture and a different language? It seems more likely that people are basing an assumption off of what they are familiar with because perspective wise they cannot see how something similar may have a different source of information. I actually linked to an interview in my post where Kentaro Miura states his sources and influences were and how he drew from the sources he quoted. It is pretty interesting read. So while it may be possible that an artist gets an influence from sources mentioned, it seems somewhat arrogant to state that as a fact when it is an assumption.

Last edited: