• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

I'm kind of shocked that no one involved thought that this came across as very tone deaf

It looks like the game's youtube channel responded in the comments
In the intro video in Tom Clancy's Elite Squad, UMBRA's propaganda posters feature a raised fist. This logo was chosen because it is a universal symbol of resistance—any resemblance to images associated with the Black Lives Matter movement is coincidental. Tom Clancy's Elite Squad is a work of fiction and does not portray any real world events. However, we have listened to players who have pointed out similarities, and to avoid any confusion we have decided to modify the trailer in the next update.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Umbra" and raised black fist

You know what you are doing

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
5BqlVCy.png

🤔🤔

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I'm kind of shocked that no one involved thought that this came across as very tone deaf

It looks like the game's youtube channel responded in the comments

Yeah, I don't know how you don't fill a screen up with that black fist but totally don't mean BLM, but this milquetoast corporate response made me chucking, "Tom Clancy's Elite Squad is a work of fiction and does not portray any real world events.".

But yeah, Fuck Tom Clancy.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I am very BLM but I don't see it here.
The generic version of "society is crumbling" is protests and fire
It really happens all the time all over the world. I guess us Americans are still getting used to it.

But these are sensitive times, so I hope you know I'm not judging you OP. Current events inform
everything I'm playing, watching, reading. So I often see analogies even if unintentional.

except the fist, that seems like something they should change ASAP

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'll be honest. I watched it and didn't even without reading the comments and didn't think anything was offensive.

Having a fist doesn't automatically mean black people shit to me. That's just me though.

I don't get a BLM link at all.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see, evil organization is called Umbra, their symbol is is a raised black fist, their MO is pretending to call for systemic upheaval to gain populist support when in truth they're wantonly terrorizing people, governments have to organize in secret because there's too much public pressure on them...

It might not necessarily be extremely anti-BLM, but it is extremely loudly and aggressively anti-Antifa.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is the most "Dead dove: Do not eat" revelation that gaming can provide.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'll be honest. I watched it and didn't even without reading the comments and didn't think anything was offensive.

Having a fist doesn't automatically mean black people shit to me. That's just me though.

It's basically a "copyright free" version of the BLM fist though. It's the same style even, in context it's too similar for it to be an accident.

blacklivesmatter.png

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Fuck this bullshit. Shame on Ubisoft to allowing this type of shit on their games, fuck them, but fuck the Tom Clancy franchise as well. Can't believe anyone sugarcoating this shit, this is vile and evil propaganda against BLM and antifascist movements at a especially dangerous time.

www.nationalgeographic.com

The history of the raised fist, a global symbol of fighting oppression

The forceful salute is intertwined with some of the 20th century's most tumultuous events, including conflicts with fascism.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's a Tom Clancy game. Always has been neocon bordering on fascist. The fact it gets largely a free pass while games that are more progressive are criticized in further depth is a real bummer.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017

Agree with this, not much to see here IMO.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
They know exactly what they're doing with this messaging

if I can remember division 2 had a ridiculous intro also

Oct 29, 2017
Ima black guy. Extra pro black blm muthafucka. I think the group is just like a 100 other shadow organizations in fiction.
The black fist is a bad look tho. Change it to a white fist.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, the whole plot is that a bunch of seemingly disorganized anti-corruption protests are actually all covertly organized by a radical cabal bent on ushering in a new world order. It's basically right-wing anti-BLM fan fiction.

The most hilarious part of the trailer is the beginning, where it talks about how people are fed up with the corruption and inequality, and then later sweeps that under the rug like "now let me explain how the corrupt side is the good guys!"

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
"It's just the raised fist symbol, right"

Well that and the whole setup is that the world is so bad that people are protesting, but the thing that the governments of the world are fighting against isn't the underlying problems of the protests, it's that some shadowy extremists who claim to want "an egalitarian utopia" are actually a front for evil terrorists who want to "destroy our country"

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Whether or not there's a BLM link, the way Ubisoft markets games like this and The Division is garbage. They don't deserve our support for this and many many other reasons.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
The Raised Fist is a political symbol that have been used for over a century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist

As someone who's protested with BLM several times in the past few months... I don't think BLM are "hacking social media accounts of world leaders" or an "international terrorist organization." And I don't think that BLM is strongly linked to "wars, corruption, and poverty."

Saying that this trailer is "anti-BLM" feels like quite a stretch when the only thing connecting the two is a commonly-used symbol.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The narrative that the higher ups don't know what they are doing only serves them. They know exactly what they are doing.

I promise, this opinion is specific to Ubisoft and not media in general. But they have an unusual global development. Multiple countries on single projects, and dozens of projects of year.

Remember when they announce that Beyond Good and Evil would feature fan art? Sometimes ubisoft get's lost in the quantity.

So because it involves a lot of people from different studios , I am reluctant to throw everyone out just yet.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

The assertion that ongoing protests or riots are funded by very wealthy anti-government extremists which results in a loss of life and property, and should be met with maximum force regardless of what international law says, is at best a far-right power fantasy version of current events and at worst a thing that people actually think of BLM protests

I say that as someone whose family has actually spouted this drivel

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Is the faceless Umbra supposed to be their equivalent of the antifa boogeyman?

As someone who's protested with BLM several times in the past few months... I don't think BLM are "hacking social media accounts of world leaders" or an "international terrorist organization." And I don't think that BLM is strongly linked to "wars, corruption, and poverty."
You may not think that, but alt-right sure seem to. They blame left for all wars/conflict. They blame the left for corruption "swamp". They certainly link social media with liberal agendas despite how stupid that idea is (e.g. cancel culture).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The Raised Fist is a political symbol that have been used for over a century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist

As someone who's protested with BLM several times in the past few months... I don't think BLM are "hacking social media accounts of world leaders" or an "international terrorist organization."

Saying that this trailer is "anti-BLM" feels like quite a stretch.

Yeah and I think this conversation is still forming but the use of the fist feels inappropriate ATM.

So I suppose this is a critique rather than news? But still important to discuss IMO

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Expecting anything but right wing propaganda from Tom Clancy is a mistake. Fuck those games and games like them.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

As someone who's protested with BLM several times in the past few months... I don't think BLM are "hacking social media accounts of world leaders" or an "international terrorist organization."

Saying that this trailer is "anti-BLM" feels like quite a stretch.

These responses are quite frustrating. The idea that the people making these games and making the decisions in these games are not affected by the current political climate is something I think we can both agree is silly. So that being said the decision to use that type of symbolism at this current moment is calculated. As is the way they describe the movement which is similar to how huge conservative nut jobs like Rush Limbaugh describe it.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
The Tom Clancy games are inherently bootlicking, but this is beyond the pale. Between this and all their harboring of harassers and abusers, it's full-on "Fuck Ubisoft" for me now. I don't buy many Ubisoft games but I definitely won't be now, even if that Scott Pilgrim re-release happens.

Even if they're changing the fist, the story is still inherently antagonistic to anti-fascist movements and the current movement for black lives.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of racism; claiming that BLM is a US movement
Yeah and I think this conversation is still forming but the use of the fist feels inappropriate ATM.

Yeah, maybe. Of all the symbols they could chose, this seems like a bad choice.

... but... The game is developed by Ubisoft Owlient in Paris, and published by Ubisoft's NE PR arm. BLM is a distinctly US movement.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a mobile game.

Is it a good trailer that I'll remember? No, certainly not. But is it one that deserves condemnation as anti-BLM? I'm not so sure.

current political climate is something I think we can both agree is silly.

Current political climate in the United States. This isn't a global political climate.

Police brutality, police and criminal justice racism, and BLM is (imo) a distinctly US movement (and one that I'm proud to be a part of).

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe not necessarly BLM (I totally think it does), but is clearly referencing social movements as a whole which include BLM as others and feeding into the whole alt-right conspiracy that these groups are inside jobs by 'Communists' to escalate violence, 'radicalize' people and destroy our 'society' as we know.

Which seems basically the plot of the new COD too.