• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Animal Crossing New Horizon, when someone visits your island, you can fence up the area near the pier entrance, so you can limit where the strangers go. This is useful when you want to prevent the strangers from wondering around, stepping on your flowers or causing other mischief, shaking your money tree or taking your items during trading or things like that.

but since the update, some people has found a loop hole: they can just change to the swimwear, jump off the pier, and swim up the shore to get around the fences. After stealing or causing whatever mischief, the stranger can press the - button to "leave quietly" from the island.

This has severe consequences to traders and more, which makes island owner have lesser control on managing the strangers explorable area. I think Nintendo should really issue a patch to disallow players from being able to jump off the airport pier into the water, and in the meantime, island owners might want to keep a look out on potential signs of people who are looking to cause mischief (eg arriving or changing to swimwear upon island arrival)

Last edited:

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't really think that the developers want you to block people in multiplayer so they probbaly aren't interested in changing this. I guess the only solution is to keep an eye out and disconnect when you suspect something like this is happening.

Jan 2, 2018
Some people take Animal Crossing way too seriously. It is meant to be a fun a relaxing game and somehow people manage to make it stressful.

Oct 27, 2017
And this kids, is why you should not invite strangers, lest they stomp on your flowers and shake your money trees. Thanks Nintendo for your invaluable life lessons.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Lol dude if something like that happens just close the software. The only way changes remain is if they are able to fly home.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when i visited other islands it was always hilarious when they had fenced a path to the store or whatever.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
An easier fix would just be to only allow visitors to wear wetsuits on islands where they are best friends with the host.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they can't just add a setting so strangers can't really do anything except interact with shops/villagers and tour the island. It'd make things like this so much simpler.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want Nintendo to disable fun stuff because of a bunch of people who take things way too seriously. Don't invite people on your island if you're not ready for what it implies. Or place walls around the beaches, I don't know, solve your own issues.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Oh and here i thought the airport pier was alread fenced. Hope the do that if they havent.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Animal crossing: D-Day patch incoming

in all seriousness, I've only visited friends islands so this has never been a problem for me, and I can imagine the circumstances where this might happen mean... the player is already stressed out about other ingame issues!

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol dude if something like that happens just close the software. The only way changes remain is if they are able to fly home.
Doing that will cause some issues too, for example a villager might be handing out recipes, and if you close the software, the villager will stop handing out that recipes

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Maybe just don't invite people that behave rude on your island.
Also it's not like people that are not best friends can cause much damage imo.

People take this game way too serious

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want Nintendo to disable fun stuff because of a bunch of people who take things way too seriously. Don't invite people on your island if you're not ready for what it implies. Or place walls around the beaches, I don't know, solve your own issues.

its not disabling fun stuffs. Its actually preventing people from causing harmful activities. It wasn't an issue before. It is now

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what about wanting to trade with players online but not want people to steal and mess with your town is "taking the game too seriously".

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
What harmful activities can they REALLY do? Fence off money trees if you insist on not picking them off yourself.
Flowers will grow out again the next day.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
People you're not best friends with can barely do anything on your island anyway, unless you have money dropped on the ground all over your island what's the issue?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
An easier fix would just be to only allow visitors to wear wetsuits on islands where they are best friends with the host.
I was already thinking that having fences around the beach would be a hassle, but this is basically the best solution they could do. I mean, if they put fences in the game in the first place they must have been interested in allowing players to close spaces.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rather than having fences all around the beach, it is easier for Nintendo to release a patch to close the issue they created with this update.

Maybe just don't invite people that behave rude on your island.
Also it's not like people that are not best friends can cause much damage imo.

People take this game way too serious

That defeat the purpose of the game. It was developed to also allow people to interact with strangers too.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
What harmful activities can they REALLY do? Fence off money trees if you insist on not picking them off yourself.
Flowers will grow out again the next day.

Yeah, I have fences around all of my money trees and flowers cannot be stomped out of existence forever, which used to be the case. Since New Horizons, I've been fine with strangers on my island and leave them alone mostly.

I used to do giveaways for a bunch of people and no one has done something to make me regret opening the gates. They couldn't if they tried.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If they patch OP's request before the dozens of bare minimum QoL changes we've asked for since month 1 I'd be severely disappointed.

Besides, it looks sick jumping in from the airport and is literally the only place aside from the pier you can do that from. Fenced in trade based islands look ridiculous anyway.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
That defeat the purpose of the game. It was developed to also allow people to interact with strangers too.
The premise of this thread is a sentiment that certain interactions that the game now allows should not be allowed, though. Not sure where the line is if you phrase it like that.

IMHO this was always the intention and they considered using coast as a fence an exploit.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo intended everyone to share their Dodo codes to break the in-game economy.

Turnip Exchange is an exploit. They won't patch this to save it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Doing that will cause some issues too, for example a villager might be handing out recipes, and if you close the software, the villager will stop handing out that recipes

I feel like that is an oddly specific caveat. I'm sure you'll survive if you can't get the recipe for "cherry rug" if it means your shit isn't all fucked up.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that the elegant solution to this would be to slap a Best Friends requirement on diving.

People who dismiss this problem as a case of taking the game Too Seriously evidently haven't used the multiplayer enough to understand it. Restricting your visitors is critical functionality.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Maybe it's just me but I really don't see an issue here? All of these things are so preventable.
- shake your money trees before you allow people?
- flowers literally grow back the next day
- don't allow strangers if you don't feel ready and only invite friends.

Some people take Animal Crossing way too seriously. It is meant to be a fun a relaxing game and somehow people manage to make it stressful.

Also this

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm not sure what about wanting to trade with players online but not want people to steal and mess with your town is "taking the game too seriously".
What is there to mess ? Don't put stealable objects on the floor... If people "destroy" your flowers, water them and tomorrow they're back at normal. They "steal" your fruits ? 3 days later they're back. There's nothing to mess, just don't put objects on the ground when you're waiting for strangers...

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo intended everyone to share their Dodo codes to break the in-game economy.

Turnip Exchange is an exploit. They won't patch this to save it.
Basically this.

Making millions and millions of bells using turnip exchange with random Internet strangers is not an intended way to play the game.
You invite a total stranger to your island, that's on you and not something Nintendo needs to fix. Fix your greed.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It's like in movies where the hero gets cornered by the bad guys and is backing towards the edge of a cliff, only to dive into the water below and swim to safety.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the only things they can really damage are buying stuff in the store and possibly giving your villagers bad nicknames, this isn't an issue. The whole fenced off path to Nook's was always a creepy exploit.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The premise of this thread is a sentiment that certain interactions that the game now allows should not be allowed, though. Not sure where the line is if you phrase it like that.

IMHO this was always the intention and they considered using coast as a fence an exploit.

the premise is that certain interaction that was fine due to limitation, is now broken.

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than having fences all around the beach, it is easier for Nintendo to release a patch to close the issue they created with this update.

This is literally only a problem for strangers manipulating the economy with one another, not "interacting". That is not the purpose of the game.

Dodo Man even tells you you're riskin it by allowing strangers into your island.

Nintendo shouldn't "fix" how restrictive you want your island to be for your black market business practice.

Plus why wouldn't you fence any of your valuables to begin with if you're going to open your island to strangers you can't trust.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Please i wish this game had the type of MP that wouldn't require you to jump through hopes so i can have a stranger or be a stranger on someone's island.

chances are higher the only people you have on your island is your friend.

Savii

Apr 9, 2018
You can fence trees if your worried. If you've got a ton of stuff dropped on the ground for trading wouldn't you always have to keep an eye on it regardless? And as someone that has tons of flowers on my island, the buds will grow back in a day or two so there's really nothing to worry about.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
If you think Animal Crossing isn't a game worth taking seriously then I don't think it's worth explaining, you wouldn't understand.
What?
It's a GAME, of course it's not worth taking seriously, at least if they don't pay you money to play.
But yeah, you are right for sure, I don't understand, I wouldn't understand, I'm too old to be mad if they ruin my flowers that ri-grow the next day.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just make it so that swimming is exclusive to "best friends" only.

Oct 28, 2017
If you think Animal Crossing isn't a game worth taking seriously then I don't think it's worth explaining, you wouldn't understand.
Really? The game was supposed to be setting up your island and growing it to what you want. Not exploiting everything in the game to sell things to other people both in game and on eBay. That's not taking the game seriously. I hope they don't bother to patch it and instead patch some QoL things that have been needed from the start.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they can't just add a setting so strangers can't really do anything except interact with shops/villagers and tour the island. It'd make things like this so much simpler.
They do it halfway. You can't move things when people are visiting. So it seems easy to set it that people can't jump off the pier. Or only best friends can do it.

I don't put too much into it. I have a plan to fence everything off if my turnip price ever hits above 500 but that's just to make things efficient. I don't even grow money trees since turnips make getting money real easy.

But I understand people are putting a ton of effort into it. Walling off certain parts of your island seem reasonable, at times. I'd be pissed if you spent 600 hours and someone was being a jerk.

But Nintendo will Nintendo and try and force people to play a certain way instead of valuing how much effort people put in. They have the tools to limit this but it's reasonable to assume they don't care.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the gentleman at the airport gives you all the warning you'll get about inviting strangers to your island.
They won't patch this