• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I would much rather they revamp their horrible online system and give us better/more options and controls for terraforming (like beaches, maybe?!) than fix something that isn't really a problem such as this.

Fence in your important crap
Shake your money trees
Don't drop items on your island, place them
WGAF about your flowers that grow back in a day or two.

This is up there with people going on catalog sprees just to be able to fill out their list with no meaning or the people who rushed through, time traveled and otherwise went out of their way to break their game, got bored or frustrated with it (literally crying over their terraforming not going how they wanted!) and either stopped playing or reset their island.

They can't . the problem is people are inviting strangers to their island which was never truly the intent of the game.
Not the intent of the game? They give you a way to do it either online through Dodo Codes or local play by just flinging the gates open.

Can't you just put a fence around the entrance of the pier?
No, you arrive at the pier and can jump off of it into the water then swim around. Spy games 101, I guess.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So everyone should get a feature removed because of your fake economy? If that isn't the most selfish thing 😂😂😂

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I have more fun making money by selling bugs and fish to Flick and CJ. Plus, I can get rich by buying bell vouchers with all the book miles I don't use any time I want.

Speaking of Bell Vouchers, I wish they updated the UI so I can specify how many of an item I would like to buy.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just disconnect your game and nothing bad happened ?
I don't see the issue.

I was thinking the same.
Am I supposed to laugh or by concerned by how Animal Crossing became some hardcore surviving game ?

I mean people enjoy games as they want but making furniture/turnip business feels a bit useless be side being pointlessly rich.

I bouggr turnips 3 weeks in a row, very easily made between 10 and 15 Million without going anywhere near online so it definitely feels overkill to go farther.

Disconnecting the game ruin people's experience. If there was a mechanism in place previously, why not restore it?

So everyone should get a feature removed because of your fake economy? If that isn't the most selfish thing 😂😂😂

Its beyond 'fake economy' and certainly not a feature, but ok.

Oct 28, 2017
There's been a trend lately where disagreeing = hostility. Nobody is being hostile. People are allowed to poke fun at an idea that they find silly.
I wasn't talking about the differing opinions I was talking about telling people they don't "understand" the game because people don't agree with them:
If you think Animal Crossing isn't a game worth taking seriously then I don't think it's worth explaining, you wouldn't understand.
You know nothing about the game, it seems.
Sorry if your mind couldn't accept it.

The people here who claim patching the loophole to prevent scammer from happening easier = taking the game too serious, of course.

For that matter, I will love it if Nintendo improves the QOL of letting people store turnips and recipes in storage too. But having Nintendo patching the part to disallow scammer to jump off the pier will enforce even more security.
But you want to remove a new feature in the game so that random people can come to your island, probably in return for some bells or nook miles tickets, and in some cases for real currency. There's a weird economy that's been set up in this game and I don't get involved in it so I don't care, but if you want them to patch something that isn't an actual issue because of this economy well I think that's stupid. However I can agree with some people that maybe they should add extra options for online if that will prevent "scamming", but don't remove an element of the game because of it.

Nov 17, 2017
I wouldn't say that it's creepy, but I do find it amusing that the same people who resort to such hacky solutions in dealing with visitors actually expect Nintendo to issue a patch to address problems with the online experience. People need to take a step back, realize how bad the online experience with this game is, realize how much they do to work around it and face the reality that Nintendo doesn't care how bad it is. Frankly, if there ever was a poster child for why you should complain about a game to its developers, then Animal Crossing: New Horizons is it.
I get your point but I don't see why it's wrong for them to want Nintendo to actually listen to people who play their games and add more QoL updates and better online features. It just kind of seems like you're saying people shouldn't criticize the game because Nintendo won't listen.

It's not fun if you feel like you're passing through a border crossing just to sell turnips. It's a dystopian nightmare where a game that's supposedly about relaxing and having fun is turned into a cold, calculated machine for profit, which is made worse by the fact that you can't easily explore other players' towns and homes through other means, which was solved in New Leaf through the Dream Suite and the HHA Showcase. The majority of towns I've visited have been almost entirely fenced off, so other than the fences I don't really get a feel for what their towns are like. I want to see what other people have done with the game, meet other villagers, and see what interesting things they've set up, but the heavy focus on minimizing risk and maximizing profit by many that take part in the game's broader economy makes that much harder than it would be otherwise.
This is reinforces my point that you are far too concerned about how other people choose to play the game. Why are you traveling to these towns people set up just for turnip trade if you have no desire to do that and just wanna explore people's islands? I've had no issue not taking part in the game's "broader economy" while visiting islands. People will always min\max their games, let them have their fun and find people who want to explore islands like you do.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo needs to patch the game so that I can jump from a level 3 cliff into the water. Jumping off stuff is fun!

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't talking about the differing opinions I was talking about telling people they don't "understand" the game because people don't agree with them:

But you want to remove a new feature in the game so that random people can come to your island, probably in return for some bells or nook miles tickets, and in some cases for real currency. There's a weird economy that's been set up in this game and I don't get involved in it so I don't care, but if you want them to patch something that isn't an actual issue because of this economy well I think that's stupid. However I can agree with some people that maybe they should add extra options for online if that will prevent "scamming", but don't remove an element of the game because of it.

I didn't say I want swimming feature removed though. Just modify it so that stranger cannot jump off the pier. Its in the OP.

Can't you just put a fence around the entrance of the pier?

You could but the problem here is they circumvent it by jumping off the airport pier itself. Which means they can get to your island without stepping off the airport pier.

Last edited:

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
ive had people linger around on my island hogging the queue on turnip exchange when I'm selling villager craft DIYs. I wish there was a kick visiting visitor option. I don't expect there to be because Nintendo And the online functionality of this game is so archaic.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought if they 'leave quietly' they don't keep any items? Don't you have to leave through the airport in MP?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's not fun if you feel like you're passing through a border crossing just to sell turnips. It's a dystopian nightmare where a game that's supposedly about relaxing and having fun is turned into a cold, calculated machine for profit, which is made worse by the fact that you can't easily explore other players' towns and homes through other means, which was solved in New Leaf through the Dream Suite and the HHA Showcase. The majority of towns I've visited have been almost entirely fenced off, so other than the fences I don't really get a feel for what their towns are like. I want to see what other people have done with the game, meet other villagers, and see what interesting things they've set up, but the heavy focus on minimizing risk and maximizing profit by many that take part in the game's broader economy makes that much harder than it would be otherwise.

Exactly this. The literal WORST that can happen (aside for leaving stuff that cannot be ordered from catalog or turnips laying around, and having them stolen) is that you're denied what? 5% of the daily obsessive min-maxing profit? 10%? Waiting a couple of days for some flowers to regrow so you can craft a particular crown or wreath? Missing a tree drop or a fossil that's most likely going to be a dupe anyway? What's the point of hoarding DIYs if the idea is sharing them with whoever? Or keeping on doing turnips after you have paid off all your loans and have an excess 10 million without even trying? And half of those things can be easily prevented by doing daily "tasks" before letting anyone enter. And if you're so starved for space, you can just create alts and use their houses as extra storage.

Cue the 20-something-th quote of "you're managing to make a relaxing game stressful".

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say I want swimming feature removed though. Just modify it so that stranger cannot jump off the pier. Its in the OP.
Yes, but Nintendo isn't very good with patches, they'd probably just remove it instead of fixing the actual issue. My main point is that there are so many issues with the game itself that have been there from the beginning that I would rather they focus on trying to patch them (although I don't see that happening either).

And if you're so starved for space, you can just create alts and use their houses as extra storage.
I never thought of that :o I'll have to keep that in mind when I start to run out of space!

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I think what OP is missing is that for some people, small details - things like being able to jump off the pier are what they enjoy about animal crossing. If you are going to complain about people not supporting how you want to play it, that goes both ways.

I'm still not sure I see what 'bad' things people coming to your island can do, but I guess it would be cool if Nintendo made it 'safer'.

Personally, I don't understand what you are gaining by letting strangers you don't trust over to your island, if your entire interaction with them is going to be them collecting a recipe/selling turnips, so I can see how this might not be a priority for Nintendo.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Exactly this. The literal WORST that can happen (aside for leaving stuff that cannot be ordered from catalog or turnips laying around, and having them stolen) is that you're denied what? 5% of the daily obsessive min-maxing profit? 10%? Waiting a couple of days for some flowers to regrow so you can craft a particular crown or wreath? Missing a tree drop or a fossil that's most likely going to be a dupe anyway? What's the point of hoarding DIYs if the idea is sharing them with whoever? Or keeping on doing turnips after you have paid off all your loans and have an excess 10 million without even trying? And half of those things can be easily prevented by doing daily "tasks" before letting anyone enter. And if you're so starved for space, you can just create alts and use their houses as extra storage.

Cue the 20-something-th quote of "you're managing to make a relaxing game stressful".

Exactly my thoughts. As a regular every day player since launch, and a big player throughout the years, the lengths people go through just to protect something that is easily regrown and part of the entire point of the game is astonishing.

I had a single good turnip in early March and I'm still functioning off that money. I paid off all my debts, and barely get into the rest of the money I made.

The weird obsession to gate off your island, is part of why I also do not even play online anymore. People like to take the point and fun out of the game just to have some weird elitist mentality of "This is MINE and it's better than yours so DON'T TOUCH."

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

All they would have to do is just either not let people jump off the pier or make wetsuit use a "friend/best friend" thing like shovels and axes are.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
They can't . the problem is people are inviting strangers to their island which was never truly the intent of the game.
If that wasn't the "intent of the game", then they wouldn't even let you invite people not on your Switch friends. The Dodo codes exist for a reason, and partially to post on social media to quickly reach out to people.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my thoughts. As a regular every day player since launch, and a big player throughout the years, the lengths people go through just to protect something that is easily regrown and part of the entire point of the game is astonishing.

I had a single good turnip in early March and I'm still functioning off that money. I paid off all my debts, and barely get into the rest of the money I made.

The weird obsession to gate off your island, is part of why I also do not even play online anymore. People like to take the point and fun out of the game just to have some weird elitist mentality of "This is MINE and it's better than yours so DON'T TOUCH."
Imagine thinking wanting to protect your weeks of hard work is an "elitist mentality".

If I'm having friends on my island, I don't fence off shit. If it's randoms, I do fence off things.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

I could understand it in previous games where indeed, anybody could actually fuck your stuff up beyond any repair, but in NH? Everything is designed to be painless, grief-free and stress-free save it for running out of storage and having to leave stuff laying around, therefore potentially stolen. And as I said, at that point just start making alts.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I get your point but I don't see why it's wrong for them to want Nintendo to actually listen to people who play their games and add more QoL updates and better online features. It just kind of seems like you're saying people shouldn't criticize the game because Nintendo won't listen.
I'd argue that it's too late to complain now, and this isn't the sort of thing that'll get enough people on board for Nintendo to notice, anyway. Frankly, I would've preferred to see the launch window review scores hit hard due to the sheer number (not necessarily the severity) of usability issues. As someone who's new to the series, I have to say that it's a huge bummer to me that more seasoned Animal Crossing players just put up with some of the design flaws release after release. The game has tons of charm and content, but so many of the systems are flawed, and you're forced to engage with them so much that I don't understand how these problems go "unnoticed" by Nintendo.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not really, considering Orville lets you have the option to invite non-friends to your island too. If inviting stranger isn't part of the intent of the game, the game will have limit you to only invite friends in your Nintendo Switch friend list.

Yes, but Nintendo isn't very good with patches, they'd probably just remove it instead of fixing the actual issue. My main point is that there are so many issues with the game itself that have been there from the beginning that I would rather they focus on trying to patch them (although I don't see that happening either).

I never thought of that :o I'll have to keep that in mind when I start to run out of space!

If Nintendo isn't going to patch this, that at least this thread will serve to highlight this new loophole arising from the new feature that allow people with malicious intend to cause mischief even easier now.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Imagine thinking wanting to protect your weeks of hard work is an "elitist mentality".

If I'm having friends on my island, I don't fence off shit. If it's randoms, I do fence off things.

But it grows back? My hard work is still worth it because everything I've worked toward remains and grows back. I had a couple of hundred people on my island when my turnip prices spiked. I lost absolutely nothing. I had a couple of flowers that had to be regrown, but that does not in any way effect how my game is played or my island.

I simply continued with my daily tasks and work, and the flowers regrew....which is the point of Animal Crossing. We're supposed to keep working and chipping away at it every day. The work is never supposed to "end"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is reinforces my point that you are far too concerned about how other people choose to play the game. Why are you traveling to these towns people set up just for turnip trade if you have no desire to do that and just wanna explore people's islands? I've had no issue not taking part in the game's "broader economy" while visiting islands. People will always min\max their games, let them have their fun and find people who want to explore islands like you do.
The way that other people want to play the game is directly impacting the way that I want to play the game.

I'm traveling to towns because exploring is fun and there is no reliable way to visit other towns other than through trading exchanges. So the only way for me to play the game the way I would like to play it, barring a rare visit to an actual friend's town, is by using tools designed for commerce and hoping that someone involved will be nice/patient enough to do more than just the transaction, which in my experience happens maybe 1 out of every 5 times now. People were more lenient in the first couple weeks but now it seems like everything is about money, and determining which players are open to a more relaxed visit or not is harder than it should be.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
But it grows back? My hard work is still worth it because everything I've worked toward remains and grows back. I had a couple of hundred people on my island when my turnip prices spiked. I lost absolutely nothing. I had a couple of flowers that had to be regrown, but that does not in any way effect how my game is played or my island.

I simply continued with my daily tasks and work, and the flowers regrew....which is the point of Animal Crossing. We're supposed to keep working and chipping away at it every day. The work is never supposed to "end"
The work isn't supposed to be set back because some jackass wants to trample all of your flowers.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The work isn't supposed to be set back because some jackass wants to trample all of your flowers.

But it's not set back. The flowers are still there and just re-grow, with absolutely zero intervention or work on the players end. This entire complaint is complaining just for the sake of complaining. Nintendo already got rid of flowers dying entirely, and grass degrading. It can't be made any easier besides just eliminating online all together.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nobody's hoarding DIY for no reason. I leave them around because my friends ain't free to visit my island to take them, so I keep for them in the meantime. Not every AC players are experienced players. There are always new players everyday who doesn't have duplicates and is still trying to earn some bells.

All those unfeasible suggestions ranging from fencing the whole island to creating alts can be easily resolve if Nintendo disallow people from jumping off the airport pier.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, the wetsuit fixes the exploit of people trying to fence in visitors.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not set back. The flowers are still there and just re-grow, with absolutely zero intervention or work on the players end. This entire complaint is complaining just for the sake of complaining. Nintendo already got rid of flowers dying entirely, and grass degrading. It can't be made any easier besides just eliminating online all together.
I literally told you how it could be made easier: Just prevent jumping off the pier or make wetsuits a friend/best friend thing like the shovel and axe.

And you still have to wait days for your flowers to regrow. For some that's the difference between finally getting to 5 stars and not getting to 5 stars.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
In next update : The Animal Police is added to your island. If someone does a mischief they fine you and they get transported back to their island.
Disconnecting the game ruin people's experience. If there was a mechanism in place previously, why not restore it?

Its beyond 'fake economy' and certainly not a feature, but ok.
Having the option to allow certain actions or a side way to trade, why not. But plain removing the swimming with other people, that is just a negative update.
I already wish we could move and add objects on other people's island or our own while other people are there.

Last edited:

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
You can take items that isn't intend for you. Recipes, items, bells, turnips.
If you are leaving recipes on the ground, then you didn't want them anyway. It's a non-issue.

Items cannot be moved by you or your visitors. It's not an issue.

If you have bells laid out around your island. What are you doing?! There is a bank specifically for that, our you can just carry your bells around.

Your turnips, you can put in your house, or a fenced out area. It's literally that easy.

This isn't really a problem at all.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody's hoarding DIY for no reason. I leave them around because my friends ain't free to visit my island to take them, so I keep for them in the meantime. Not every AC players are experienced players. There are always new players everyday who doesn't have duplicates and is still trying to earn some bells.

All those unfeasible suggestions ranging from fencing the whole island to creating alts can be easily resolve if Nintendo disallow people from jumping off the airport pier.

If you're at the point where you must leave stuff laying around in the open because you're so out of space that you can't leave it anywhere else, I'll say that it's a "you" problem, and the rest of the playerbase that enjoys using public dodos to visit other people just because, explore, take ideas and generally have some fun (yes, that includes swimming) shouldn't be punished or have features taken away from us because of it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I literally told you how it could be made easier: Just prevent jumping off the pier or make wetsuits a friend/best friend thing like the shovel and axe.

And you still have to wait days for your flowers to regrow. For some that's the difference between finally getting to 5 stars and not getting to 5 stars.
Flowers count towards the island rating even when picked

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In next update : The Animal Police is added to your island. If someone does a mischief they fine you and they get transported back to their island.

Having the option to allow certain actions or a side way to trade, why not. But plain removing the swimming with other people, that is just a negative update.
I already wish we could move and add objects on other people's island or our own while other people are there.

I didn't say to remove the swimming feature. II only say to patch it so jumping off the airport pier is disallowed. Its in the OP.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017

You could but the problem here is they circumvent it by jumping off the airport pier itself. Which means they can get to your island without stepping off the airport pier.

Ohhhh, the airport pier. I thought they meant the actual beach pier haha.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're at the point where you must leave stuff laying around in the open because you're so out of space that you can't leave it anywhere else, I'll say that it's a "you" problem, and the rest of the playerbase that enjoys using public dodos to visit other people just because, explore, take ideas and generally have some fun (yes, that includes swimming) shouldn't be punished or have features taken away from us because of it.

No, not really. There are a lot of players who have to leave their items around on the island.

And again, I didn't say to remove the feature. I am saying to patch it so jumping off the airport pier is disallow. Learn to read the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Just put all your shit in your house and fence the house or the door. Or just stand in front of the door so people can't get in. If someone wrecking your flowers and "stealing" your fruit is a big issue then don't invite randos over? The game already feels so limited if you aren't best friends with the person.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Make it so only friends or only best friends can leap off airport pier.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the developers largely solved the risk with the 'best friend' system, so strangers can essentially not cause any permanent harm to your island. But for some reason a lot of people are still treating strangers like foreign invaders there to pillage and loot.

Edit: I'll add that in both New Leaf and NH I've had tons and tons of strangers over, no fencing, and not ONE visitor has been interested in ruining my stuff or stealing anything. I really wonder how common this issue of scamming is or if people are just paranoid and/or projecting?

Last edited:

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
13 yr old me was big on the villager trade in new leaf but like...new horizons' economy is so different and ugly. Anyways remember in wild world when ppl would brick towns completely ❤️

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Why would they let strangers jump off normal piers but not airport piers? Just for a small, niche group of people who feel like min-maxing Animal Crossing???

They should let you put more things (like DIYs and turnips) in storage sure, regardless of this "exploit". I'm pretty sure that would solve the problem without axing game features.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

What weeks of hard work? Non-best friends literally can't do anything but pick up dropped items, or trample flowers/shake fruit trees that grow back in a couple of days regardless.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hsa OP addressed the fact that this is literally only a problem for players trying to abuse an exploit in the in-game economy?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm in the camp of just shut the game off/disconnect from WiFi to screw over anyone who tries anything funny, assuming you open it up to randos by tweeting a code or whatever.

I had one instance where I had a nearly 600 bell day for turnips, so I posted a turnip exchange link in a slack I frequent, and some people shared the link so on and so forth. I was idle but still paying attention to what was going on, and one random person popped in and went to sell all his turnips and on the way out stole all the money bags that were in front of me people were leaving as tips. I reached for my controller and hit sleep mode on it disconnecting this guy, I asked everyone who I gave the link to and nobody fessed up to knowing who the person was. I think one person I had to let in again too so they could re-sell but that was it. Annoying, but nothing earth shattering.

Just don't let people in you can't trust if you have anything out that you don't want taken, or be ready to deal with it if something does happen.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
It's like blaming your backyard rather than blaming the thief.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hsa OP addressed the fact that this is literally only a problem for players trying to abuse an exploit in the in-game economy?

There is nothing to address considering that It is literally a problem for all players.

Why would they let strangers jump off normal piers but not airport piers? Just for a small, niche group of people who feel like min-maxing Animal Crossing???

They should let you put more things (like DIYs and turnips) in storage sure, regardless of this "exploit". I'm pretty sure that would solve the problem without axing game features.

the airport pier is the only way to circumvent the fencing to get onto the island.

Last edited: