• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood in 2017 has been a blessing born of curses. It is downright despicable that any sex abuse has taken place period, but it is so satisfyingly eye-opening that now a multitude of victims finally feel safe enough to come forward, no doubt due in large part to the Weinstein allegations.

Some of these have been rumored for a long time, but nonetheless are incredibly eye-opening. As a fan of Kevin Spacey, it was hard to find out what he had done, and it was even harder to read his defense. But as a whole I'm so much happier that this information is out there. And there will only be more victims coming forward with their experiences as time goes on.

The question is, with a trend of declining viewership, and almost non-stop controversy, how will The Academy react this go around? I don't expect a large enough acknowledgement from them, but they have shown a little bit of effort in course correcting in the past, what with the inductions of more diverse members, and whatnot. But we must never forget that The Oscars have been negligent of this kind of thing before.

Thoughts? Expectations?

KdGqQY.gif

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The next Oscars will take place in a very different news cycle from that of last month, so it's probable they won't address it. Each Oscar ceremony has become more and more topical due to the proliferation of internet news, so much so that unless something similar happens in March of 2018, they will be talking about something else.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the whole " people clapping for Roman Polanski" thing is a bit different from this. Mainly because he hadn't sexually assaulted Hollywood's own people. So, sadly, he isn't/wasn't as radioactive as Spacey and Weinstein.

As for what they do? I hope they send a clear message that it won't be tolerated and those people aren't welcome in Hollywood anymore. I feel like its on the only way to save face other than name some more pieces of shit who are in the audience and tell them to go fuck themselves, one by one.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Switch Best Actress and Best Actor spots. Other gestures to appear progressive like that. Presumably not have a song about seeing boobs again.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will change. Hell the pedos aren't even getting outed so they'll go on fiddling and diddling without missing a beat

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
They'll mass migrate to ResetOscars, while some die hards stay behind and lament about the good old times.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be some platitudes about the victims and being united during the broadcast. Maybe an inspirational momenbt of silence for those that afraid of speaking up. All will be forgotten by the post oscar parties when they back to business getting toasted and blotto.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
An oscar winning movie about sexual misconduct in hollywood is being written as we speak.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
They better rethink how they handle awards. Because that means Casey Affleck will present and hand out best actress. So...yeah.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
All I expect is a few groaner shock jokes about it during the show.

this is my expectation, yeah

The next Oscars will take place in a very different news cycle from that of last month, so it's probable they won't address it. .

ehhh it's a pretty huge elephant in the room to ignore, i can't really picture that

i just wanna talk about movies :(((((

ahahahaha masterfully done

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
Would be ecstatic to see the whole institution die (the awards, not the academy members)

Shine a light on every ugly corner til all of these millionaires patting themselves on the back looks as grotesque as it is.

Maybe nominate Wonder Woman for best picture?
This would be the most disgustingly cynical thing imaginable.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll give best picture to a movie about the exposure of systematic and repeated sexual abuse in a rigid, old institution without any sense of shame or self reflection.

Oops, sorry, that was last year.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Call out a list of actors for a surprise award, get them on stage and then right as they think they are about to receive it, announce that they are all to be arrested on sex assault charges. The authorities then come out from behind the curtain and place them in cuffs.

That's what I'd like to see happen, at least.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt things will change. This is a hot topic at the moment but by the time of the Oscars, people will have found something else to be outraged by.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked their stance post #oscorssowhite, and the new stance that their head, Cheryl Isaacs has gone for, but the majority of controlling Hollywood is old white males.