• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a trailer that clearly focuses on the core original MCU Avengers. It's not like they're going to be the only characters in the game.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Just like the movies, without Fury.

This game is all up in the MCU's ass, not surprising the first playable characters are the OG MCU heroes who are all white guys with token Widow.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same franchise that took 18 movies to have a black lead and 21 to have a woman.

ManiLink

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Representation and Trolling over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Account in Junior Phase
It seems completely wild to me that after the massive success of Black Panther, Avengers Endgame and even Aquaman, the people at Square Enix decided to go with an exclusively white Avengers team. Even the OG Avengers movie at the very least featured Nick Fury, but Square proudly showed off a game in 2019 with 0 PoC and even threw in another white character as a stinger., What the actual hell is happening at the studio?

I'm a person of colour and would rather a team of White Avengers. SJWs be damned. Will make an impact when Black Panther finally eventually arrives in the the story anyway. The studio is making a videogame not a political or social statement.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Lol adding PoC is "creativity" now?

Given you've seen no gameplay I'm intrigued at how you come to this conclusion.
It's not creativity, but damn they could have done something more than just the base Avengers. Stop trying to twist my words.

I'm preety sure they added the characters they liked, regardless of their skin color.
This is an incredibly stupid hot take. I fucking love Black Panther but you don't start with him. He comes later.

And why don't you start with him?

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
It would have been worse to have changed the ethnicity of one of the aforementioned characters. But yeah shocking no Black Panther.

Panther would have been the closest you'd get to a Rocksteady Batman style of combat.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People keep trying to justify this by saying "Well, the MCU did it too" but public statements from various Marvel Studios creatives like Kevin Feige have made it clear they realize they made a mistake with the lack of diversity and are actively working to correct that. "Somebody else did it seven years ago" is not a valid excuse.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why were people assuming they were going to get the likeness of the actors? Standalone videogame adaptations of superhero properties have been around for a long time.
They didn't have to. But they shouldn't have used basically the movie designs without them though. There's a really weird mismatch because of it.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
No offense to her, but I doubt many would buy a boring hero like Black Widow as DLC.

Black Panther OTOH... everyone will buy. It makes business sense. Spider-man will be DLC too, bet your ass.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It seems completely wild to me that after the massive success of Black Panther, Avengers Endgame and even Aquaman, the people at Square Enix decided to go with an exclusively white Avengers team.
It's a shame, but I mean Black Panther didn't even come out until 2018. This game started development in 2017. They likely had the roster planned well in advance. And I'm sure Black Panther will be one of the first heroes they add.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
It's not creativity, but damn they could have done something more than just the base Avengers. Stop trying to twist my words.

Hey, you're the one who said it.

I'm all for inclusion but they clearly have a story arc they wish to tell for the first part of their GaaS title. I'm certain Falcon and Panther are very high on their priority list given the popularity of the characters.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I honestly don't know if these threads are made with genuine concern or if they're just mocking the site's image lol
I often find a lot of the things people complain about on this website overkill, I don't mind straight white/Japanese protagonists but nothing gets released these days without at least a little bit of diversity for good reason. Like it was weird to see a team of all white folks these days. 2012 was quite a while ago.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
No offense to her, but I doubt many would buy a boring hero like Black Widow as DLC.

Black Panther OTOH... everyone will buy. It makes business sense. Spider-man will be DLC too, bet your ass.
Problem would be then there's zero female representation from the get go if you swap Widow with Panther.

I mean Hawkeye has more meaning to the Avengers than Widow but no chance he'd go ahead of her.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
People keep trying to justify this by saying "Well, the MCU did it too" but public statements from various Marvel Studios creatives like Kevin Feige have made it clear they realize they made a mistake with the lack of diversity and are actively working to correct that. "Somebody else did it seven years ago" is not a valid excuse.
this is very important. no need to act like everything that ever works out did so because it was perfect.

plus, get nick fury in there for 0.5 seconds. he's just as important as all those characters in the first movie

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't tell if these threads are satirical or not anymore.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kamala will save this.

But yeah, bad look for only having white people in the E3 reveal. The models look awful trying to copy the MCU actors, but without getting too similar in facial structure to them. Just makes everyone look like bootleg versions of the MCU.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Hey, you're the one who said it.

I'm all for inclusion but they clearly have a story arc they wish to tell for the first part of their GaaS title. I'm certain Falcon and Panther are very high on their priority list given the popularity of the characters.
I didn't mean it like adding PoC is "creative". It should be as normal as adding any other character.

What I mean is that they could have done so much more with this story (that we've seen so far). They have a whole universe to work with and they're showing they haven't done shit with it. That's uncreative.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Because they wanted to stick to the core MCU Avengers. Panther is not one of the original 6 Avengers.
This does not make the dev team less creative. It is not an ommision.

It's lazy. Considering the absolute vastness of the Marvel universe and all the material they had to work with, they chose this.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's not, but the original members are white. The game features the original members, so how is this an issue?
it doesn't feature all of the original members, so why not add variety?

also, why stay tethered to the exact way it was done the first time? that sounds mighty regressive.