• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Why can't all of The Avengers be POC? If they aren't using the likeliness of any of the movie people, why the heck bother with creating a bunch of boring white people. It wouldn't hurt for a non-white person to be able to see themselves in a big superhero game protagonist.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, Nick Fury won't be white in this or anything else.

In the comics, Nick Fury Sr (the original) has basically gone away even in the original 616 to be replaced by his son, Nick Fury Jr (who is black and looks like royalty free SLJ). And it's been that way for at least five years now. No fan, writer, or anyone else wants to bring back Nick Sr... nobody really gave a shit about him all the decades prior.

Talk for yourself. I never wanted the real Fury to go (And I wasn't alone when that happened) just because they adapted Samuel L Jackson Ultimate Version in the movies and then they created that terrible Nick Fury Jr in one of the lazy things I ever saw on comics.

I liked the Ultimate version and all, but I would prefer if they just revelead that Fury was always black instead of making the 616 version to just disappear, while putting Jr there just because of cross media, which Marvel loves to do. It was shitty how they did it.

May 17, 2019
Talk for yourself. I never wanted the real Fury to go (And I wasn't alone when that happened) just because they adapted Samuel L Jackson Ultimate Version in the movies and then they created that terrible Nick Fury Jr in one of the lazy things I ever saw on comics.

I liked the Ultimate version and all, but I would prefer if they just revelead that Fury was always black instead of making the 616 version to just disappear, while putting Jr there just because of cross media, which Marvel loves to do. It was shitty how they did it.

Not to mention that Fury Max: My War Gone By was one of the best comics Marvel published in the last decade.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't all of The Avengers be POC? If they aren't using the likeliness of any of the movie people, why the heck bother with creating a bunch of boring white people. It wouldn't hurt for a non-white person to be able to see themselves in a big superhero game protagonist.

They never will do that. At best they'll change the identity of a hero, but not to change in such way. That never happened even in the comics.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers Endgame had pretty much zero POC as well, particularly in the marketing.

Is Black Panther even an Avenger in the films, come to think of it? Membership in their organization doesn't seem very well defined.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I think this is a Marvel issue in general, more than something on Square and Crystal Dynamics. Would be a controversy in it of itself to just change a character like Black Widow, or Tony Stark, for example, to a person of color.

Beyond that, someone like T'Challa or Kamala will surely be in the game, but it would have been nice to actually have them front and center.

At the end of the day, I get why they went with what they did. It was for the sake of simplicity for marketing, and introducing people to characters they know. I'm not saying it's a good decision, I'm just more understanding their choice.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will only have 5 characters at launch......so it's probably best just to showcase those five characters when they're doing a reveal.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you mean why don't they change Tony Stark's ethinicity for example or do you mean why dont they use a different line-up with more PoC?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It seems completely wild to me that after the massive success of Black Panther, Avengers Endgame and even Aquaman, the people at Square Enix decided to go with an exclusively white Avengers team. Even the OG Avengers movie at the very least featured Nick Fury, but Square proudly showed off a game in 2019 with 0 PoC and even threw in another white character as a stinger., What the actual hell is happening at the studio?

I was going to say this E3 are a bit more black characters with games such as Deathloop, Watchdogs Legions or Cyberpunk 2077. But this is shocking.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Is this a serious thread?

The trailer doesn't show any humans besides the Avengers. It barely shows anything of what the game is even about.

It seems to me that they are starting with what is the most recognizable line-up of the Avengers due to the films (minus Hawkeye), and we know that they'll add more characters, which likely means more diverse heroes as well.

People have speculated that Kamala Khan is the voice that narrates the trailers, and given that she has a line in this latest one about "meeting your heroes" that could still be the case since we don't know who that voice is, but the line would suggest it's a character in game.

Not that it's not an issue in the industry and a potential issue in this game, but this seems too knee-jerk reactionary and a bit too soon imo to leverage serious criticism at.

I agree with you especially since this is the first reveal but them revealing Ant-Man/Hank at the end sorta stings.

Like ya'll really couldn't have used that opportunity to tease Nick Fury, Black Panther, or Kamala Khan instead? Jeez.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't that War Machine in the space scene? Or was it just a space armor for Tony?

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Do you mean why don't they change Tony Stark's ethinicity for example or do you mean why dont they use a different line-up with more PoC?
I was thinking the former? Ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender up for grabs. Very least they could do is make gender and ethnicity customizable on all the heros.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the former? Ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender up for grabs. Very least they could do is make gender and ethnicity customizable on all the heros.

It's not really unheard of in comics. The game is just another alternate universe, and plenty of alternate universes have messed with things like race and sexual preference. The game is playing it safe by staying so close to the movie, and that is a little bit of a disappointment.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Really hope Marvel steps in and sorts it, completely unacceptable to have a white only superhero club 2019.

They don't even have the actors likeness to worry about, so just have black cap!

And they better use a black voice actor too, square enix don't have a great track record for that.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4 generic white dudes and one white woman. The character they added? Another generic white man.

There isn't a single ounce of creativity in this game.
You forgot to mention the white woman is also generic and it all takes place in San Francisco the most generic city in America and they fight on the Golden Gate Bridge the most generic bridge I can think of. Truly a generic game it seems.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Do y'all even care about capeshit? Like it or not, the phase 1 heroes are the face of Marvel right now for the vast majority of people and they have a lot of history outside of the MCU. Reducing them to "boring white NPCs" speaks volumes

FWIW I don't care for this roster either but let's not pretend they aren't huge figures in Marvel in their own right

Also holy shit if you're going to use MCU costumes at least get the actors for the character models, I'm getting huge whiplash

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first thought, Im dissapointed with no Falcon. Love Sam.

At second though, a big reason I love Sam is because of Mackie and I assume he won't be part of the game, so eh not sure what to think.

Also, Cap looks weird. His design feels off. Maybe Im too used to Evans.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You forgot to mention the white woman is also generic and it all takes place in San Francisco the most generic city in America and they fight on the Golden Gate Bridge the most generic bridge I can think of. Truly a generic game it seems.
I'm sorry, but what about San Francisco is generic?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Would have been interesting to change the starting lineup tbh, but even if you absolutely must have Captain America and Iron Man in there, you don't really need to have them be Steve Rodgers or Tony Stark, there have been multiple non-white characters that have take up those mantles over the years. It would be easy.

Ohhhht

Oct 29, 2017
So, white people are boring, poc arent. Got it, I'll be sure to tell all the white people I know how boring they are. Thanks!

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory False Equivalence Surrounding Racism; Prior Severe Infraction Related to Racism; Attacking the Community and a History of Similar Behavior
The video game industry in a nutshell.

Games made by straight white males for straight white males.

Pathetic and inexcusable.

The worst thing of this thread is to see someone is acting as white men is the enemy.

It's very worrying.
It's not more about ideology or thinking or culture. It's a label against other labels. It's racism fought with the same racism.

This is a reflection of how Era is seen outside. Hint: it's not a good reflection.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017

Are we even sure you play as the heroes, I'm still getting vibes of "they only show up in cutscenes" and you play your own, customizable character ala DC Universe Online.

Maybe I missed something.

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Marvel are reviewing character designs and approving directions etc?

Iron Man had established Fury and Rhodes from the first movie...

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
So, white people are boring, poc arent. Got it, I'll be sure to tell all the white people I know how boring they are. Thanks!

They're right though. Full-on white ensembles are as old as Hollywood and gaming themselves. A group of exclusively PoC - which can be a large number of races and ethnicities - would be refreshing as hell. I am a white dude by the way, I just won't pretend minorities get the same level of representation as us white folk to act butthurt over demands like these. I'd be fine if white people vanished from the media for at least a decade. Things still wouldn't be even.

The worst thing of this thread is to see someone is acting as white men is the enemy.

It's very worrying.
It's not more about ideology or thinking or culture. It's a label against other labels. It's racism fought with the same racism.

This is a reflection of how Era is seen outside. Hint: it's not a good reflection.

White men that like to pretend PoC don't exist are indeed the enemy. They're ignorant or racist at worst.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since this game will be heavy on costume cosmetics, I'd say the looks are very subject to change before release.

Would be like no effort at all, so if the internet kicks up enough stink I bet they will change the defaults, and make these alternates.

Everyone here should be way way more concerned with how it plays and what you do. Which hopefully they will alleviate tomorrow.
EDIT: Oops the above was meant for the other thread.

On this, hopefully the rumors of Kamala playable from the start are true, and at launch there is Panther and hopefully at least a few others.

And yeah bad image to show first trailer with this current set only.

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been interesting to change the starting lineup tbh, but even if you absolutely must have Captain America and Iron Man in there, you don't really need to have them be Steve Rodgers or Tony Stark, there have been multiple non-white characters that have take up those mantles over the years. It would be easy.

But then you would have to waste a whole lot of time to explain how these black people became those characters or else you would create a whole lot of cognitive dissonance.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
at least the trailer is narrated by Kamala Khan?

yeah...

They could be voiced by a white woman too for all we know.

Avengers Endgame had pretty much zero POC as well, particularly in the marketing.

Is Black Panther even an Avenger in the films, come to think of it? Membership in their organization doesn't seem very well defined.

Endgame was a different case considering the decimation/snap. But they had War Machine, Okoye and Wong on the posters and marketing if that counts for anything.
Black Panther, like many other characters in the MCU isn't officially an Avenger. I reckon the way they see it is if you fight with the Avengers, you're an Avengers. Like Scarlett Witch in Age of Ultron when she was panicking and Hawkeye was like "if you step out that door you're an Avenger". Then she became one.

Spidey is Sony, probably won't appear in this, maybe in a PS4 exclusive mission.

Spidey is not Sony let's get this clear he can appear any game made my any of these developers making Avengers games.
They're just not allowed to make solo Spider-Man games.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
I honestly don't know if these threads are made with genuine concern or if they're just mocking the site's image lol

They absolutely have to be troll posts/bait mocking the community. Black Panther not being there (yet) was nowhere near my mind while I was watching that. I both love and hate this place sometimes.

Hell.. Some people think Ms. Marvel was the girl talking. We don't know yet. We don't know anything. We have hardly seen the game but this is what bothers Reset?

It almost offends me that they think we are going to feel like shit if a POC isn't on literally everything we touch. I don't mind playing a white guy sometimes. I really don't...

Edit: There is zero chance that there won't be more representation when the new mcu phase starts. We just need to wait

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Square Enix is not an American company. They probably have no idea why there would be backlash.

They absolutely have to be troll posts/bait mocking the community. Black Panther not being there (yet) was nowhere near my mind while I was watching that. I both love and hate this place sometimes.

Hell.. Some people think Ms. Marvel was the girl talking. We don't know yet. We don't know anything. We have hardly seen the game but this is what bothers Reset?

It almost offends me that they think we are going to feel like shit if a POC isn't on literally everything we touch. I don't mind playing a white guy sometimes. I really don't...

Edit: There is zero chance that there won't be more representation when the new mcu phase starts. We just need to wait

There is absolutely no reason to not include PoC. If there is more than one person on screen they should have different backgrounds. And we should never have a group of just white people. There should be PoC on "everything we touch". And we shouldn't have to wait. There should be PoC from the jump.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
They make a point of not being the movies but they use the movie line up. So weird.
Nope. OG Avengers here are Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow and Hulk. No Hawkeye. Also Ant Man is Hank Pym (and he's around the same age as Tony, unlike in the MCU)
Also apparently Miss Marvel is one of the most important character of the game, being the one who reform the Avengers. She's not in the MCU.