• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It'd be pretty cool to have a default female lord actually.(I mean one for the whole game.)

Also was it seriously that bad for Roy's promotion?

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"they got swords, lances, and the bad one!"

i feel personally attacked right now

Oct 25, 2017
Roy has amazing stats, supports nearly every female unit in the game and then some, and has two great personal weapons.

He is shit because his promotion is such garbage that it benches him for half of the game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Fire Emblem has been pretty great regarding gender parity.

- In FE7 you begin with Lyn, one of the three lords of the game.
- In FE8, you played with Ephraim and his sister Eirika.
- Micaiha has a central role in Radian Dawn.
- FE2/Echoes is split equally between Alm and Celica.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was mainly thinking a female lord for the whole game that wasn't a CAC.

It's not something I take any actual issue with. As you said they split it pretty evenly. I just thought it'd be neat.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
When almost all main characters in the series are strong against axes, I'm not surprised that axes have that rep

That and all the early-game bandit enemies use axes lol

Not to mention that in the game many people likely started out with, Blazing Blade, the two early axe users (Dorcas and Bartre) are complete trash. Which is actually funny because in terms of enemy usage, Blazing Blade should be favorable to axe users, their stats are just that bad.

Oct 25, 2017

It's not something I take any actual issue with. As you said they split it pretty evenly. I just thought it'd be neat.
I mean Eirika is very much the 'primary' lord in FE8, just as Eliwood is the primary Lord of FE7... Ephraim is the 'hard mode' path but you can't even select him until Chapter 8.

Sucks about Lyn tho

Regarding Axes, as a weapon they tend to be best simply because enemy armies have a tendency to favor lances, and also your team's accuracy is always pretty damn good anyway, so the extra strength helps murder things better.

Oh, and Gonzalez. Gonzalez immediately makes axes amazing.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

You can use Eirika the whole game, its the only one in fact since Ephraim's path (and branching) only opens up later

fake edit: beaten

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Not to mention that in the game many people likely started out with, Blazing Blade, the two early axe users (Dorcas and Bartre) are complete trash. Which is actually funny because in terms of enemy usage, Blazing Blade should be favorable to axe users, their stats are just that bad.
I got plenty of mileage out of Dorcas (even if Dart replaced him later on), so i dunno where this "Dorcas is bad" narrative started just because he's not invincible like Hector

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Fun stuff.

In FE8. you played as Eirika and her brother Ephraim.

(Seriously, who puts Ephraim over Eirika?).

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I got plenty of mileage out of Dorcas (even if Dart replaced him later on), so i dunno where this "Dorcas is bad" narrative started just because he's not invincible like Hector

His speed is bad. His base of 6 can carry him for Lyn mode, but his growth is 20%. Your banking on some unlikely RNG for him to stay usable.

EDIT: I completely forgot, but you said you replaced him with Dart. He isn't very good either (Low skill, has trouble hitting, among other reasons), but notice how Dart has a base speed of 8, and a growth of 60%

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
In FE8. you played as Eirika and her brother Ephraim.

(Seriously, who puts Ephraim over Eirika?).

Or you played as Eirika and then Ephraim showed up one mission saying "me and this dudes will join" and you were like "okay cool" and never used him

His path is still more fun to play though

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Eirika is the only female lord to not be overshadowed by the male lord

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is accurate if you pretend only Awakening and Fates exist and all the other games don't.

So this is basically Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates *

Nah, pretty much all of this this could be applied to just the GBA games. Especially support cuddle parties on Siege maps and the late story promotes for Lords. The character archetypes are pretty much a roll call of the FE7/FE8 cast.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was trying to think of a good axe-user other than Hector and had a lot of trouble.
Titania maybe?
Ross from Sacred Stones once promoted out of his recruit status. Becomes an absolute monster by the end, like most of those villager recruits.
Haar from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn? A bit of a cheat as he's a pre-promote with access to lances as well.

Often I find it's the light infantry axe users that struggle to find a place in my army- wyverns, armour and cavalry all add something else but most of the infantry axe users have high strength and HP but hampered by low speed and defence, and if I want such aggressive infantry units I tend to use swordmasters.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Nintendo released this Fire Emblem for Switch trailer this far before e3.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah, a lot of this can be applied to the GBA games as well. There also isn't an "Eleventh hour old-man character" in any of the 3DS games, just Blazing Blade (Athos), and Shadow Dragon (Gotoh)

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
His speed is bad. His base of 6 can carry him for Lyn mode, but his growth is 20%. Your banking on some unlikely RNG for him to stay usable.

EDIT: I completely forgot, but you said you replaced him with Dart. He isn't very good either (Low skill, has trouble hitting, among other reasons), but notice how Dart has a base speed of 8, and a growth of 60%
Dart's amazing. I love flipping a coin and either missing or getting a crit. It's why i love berserkers. Dorcas has outstanding skill for a Fighter and his ridiculous HP means that it doesn't really matter if he eats a hit or two, since he can kill most things in two hits anyways

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of this can be applied to the GBA games as well. There also isn't an "Eleventh hour old-man character" in any of the 3DS games, just Blazing Blade (Athos), and Shadow Dragon (Gotoh)

FE2 has Mycen and Nomah.
FE6 has Niima (old lady; same concept) and Yodel

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Eirika is the default female lord for the whole game in Sacred Stones, but you can choose to switch to Ephraim becoming the main character when they reunite.

Roy doesn't promote until the end of Chapter 21x in a game with 25 chapters, though the final chapter is literally just the final boss, which is really easy and takes like 3 turns max. He's likely to hit level 20 around chapter 13-16, meaning he becomes almost entirely useless aside from the occasional rescue and of course seizing for like half the game. Then you get to use him in a somewhat decent form (of course he's still only level 1 so his stats aren't any good, but he gets a really broken weapon) for a whopping 3 chapters+a boss fight. At the very least he does a ton of damage vs dragons and the final chapter is nothing but dragons.

I was trying to think of a good axe-user other than Hector and had a lot of trouble.
Titania maybe?

Titania PoR/RD
Boyd PoR
Kieran PoR (though he's probably one of your better units during the Crimean Royal Knight chapters in RD)
Jill Por/RD
Haar PoR/RD
And I guess Nolan is essential for helping your through the first half of part 1 in RD.

Axes are good in Tellius.

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
FE2 has Mycen and Nomah.
FE6 has Niima (old lady; same concept) and Yodel

Yeah, not sure why I forgot about Mycen and the others. My point still stands though, Awakening and Fates don't have those kinds of characters, which is what people usually mean when they say "3DS Fire Emblem"

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sacred Stones is very much Erika and her brother Ephraim. Erika's path in Sacred Stone is better story-wise, but Ephraim's path is harder and more fun. (And Ephraim is cooler, so there's that too)

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Awakening has Basilio as the closest equivalent and Birthright had dickass Yukimura, Conquest gives you Gunter back about halfway through so he doesn't count either

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of an axe.

Yeah, not sure why I forgot about Mycen and the others. My point still stands though, Awakening and Fates don't have those kinds of characters, which is what people usually mean when they say "3DS Fire Emblem"

I mean, technically, you have a 2000 year old dragon lady Tiki that joins late in awakening iirc.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"they got swords, lances, and the bad one!"

i feel personally attacked right now
I mean they are completely wrong, axes and lances outclass swords in every game, mainly because they have 1-2 range and swords dont. Only Fates gave swords 1-2 range, but they are still weaker than axe and lance 1-2 range options.

Roy has amazing stats, supports nearly every female unit in the game and then some, and has two great personal weapons.

He is shit because his promotion is such garbage that it benches him for half of the game.
Roy has mediocre stats. Not terrible, but not 'amazing' in the slightest.

Parody is pretty spot on, although some things only apply to one game or two games in the series rather than the entire series.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Lyn's great but she's frankly kind of a joke in terms of story relevance. You need to have her go at specific bosses in order for her to even seem involved in things.