• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm siding with the "celebrity" that I've never heard of on this one, if you're going to pick a fight with some random woman at least have the sense to know if it's even a fight worth having. Just posting wikipedia screenshots is hilariously lazy, and I hate to say it...reeks of pseudo-intellectualism.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I made this thread to draw attention to the exchange. Who the hell are you to tell me why I do what I do?!

Thread title: I was attacked by a celebrity
OP: Twitter was a mistake and this dude is dumb because we have dictionaries.

You clearly were not making this thread from a neutral standpoint to merely draw attention to the exchange, it was clearly angled to denounce your so-called 'celebrity attacker'.

Get real.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'm siding with the "celebrity" that I've never heard of on this one, if you're going to pick a fight with some random woman at least have the sense to know if it's even a fight worth having. Just posting wikipedia screenshots is hilariously lazy, and I hate to say it...reeks of pseudo-intellectualism.

It's Twitter. Not really sure what you were expecting. Though I will admit that in hindsight it was a pretty fruitless endeavor.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Thread title: I was attacked by a celebrity
OP: Twitter was a mistake.

You clearly were not making this thread from a neutral standpoint to merely draw attention to the exchange, it was clearly angled to denounce your so-called 'celebrity attacker'.

Get real.

So as the author of this thread, I have revealed my intentions for this thread. It frankly does not matter whether you believe me or not. If you don't like it, you're welcome to see yourself out.

Thanks.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So as the author of this thread, I have revealed my intentions for this thread. It frankly does not matter whether you believe me or not. If you don't like it, you're welcome to see yourself out.

Thanks.
They're also totally welcome to call you out on it since you posted this in a public forum open to discussion on the topic at hand. I'm sorry you had an uncomfortable experience on twitter, but there's no need for you to go shutting down someone making a perfectly valid point about how you chose to farme this thread...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They are objectively in the wrong BC, don't sweat it. If they don't want to believe a word is a word what can ya do

Oct 28, 2017
Preaching to another culture about their perceived social problems is not a good look, especially when the best justification you can give is that certain long-standing cultural practices are 'problematic'.

This rarely goes well for established academics, what makes you think it'll go well for you?

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Preaching to another culture about their perceived social problems is not a good look, especially when the best justification you can give is that certain long-standing cultural practices are 'problematic'.

This rarely goes well for established academics, what makes you think it'll go well for you?

I think you are forgetting that Brainchild is a self professed "citizen scientist". Show some respect.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I just use Twitter to like funny stuff. Like animal gifs. There is this one of a pigeon on one of those spinning roof vents. Good shit.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I posted a comment about suplexing a far right prick in Glasgow (countdankula) and got a ton of abuse from his supporters who I proceeded to destroy.

The irony is they are all about trolling people, being nasty and free speech but when I made a joke they all shit themselves. .

Even dankula was scared as he knew I was in the vicinity. Even though I never "@" him I apologised if he was worried as he said he had his wife and kids there and they were worried. Still doesn't change him being an utter prick.

*He was at an anti-Trump rally in Glasgow but there to support Trump*

rude

Oct 25, 2017
OP is messy as hell lmfaooooo. He really took it there against a pretty reasonable twitter user.

UPDATE:

That was actually kinda funny, heh

His interpretation of my framing of this thread is not more valid then my own testimony of my intent. This isn't even debatable.

Why are you denouncing other people's interpretations of content on this board when you get mad about people dismissing your interpetation of arranged marriages on twitter...

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The concept of arranged marriage is no laughing matter? I'll let my parents, aunts and uncles and many cousins know their marriages are problematic.

You blanketed a cultural form of union to be a "humanitarian issue" and rightfully got called out for your ignorance.

If you'd called out forced marriages, you'd have a point.

Educate yourself and learn to present your arguments when appropriate.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The concept of arranged marriage is no laughing matter? I'll let my parents, aunts and uncles and many cousins know their marriages are problematic.

You blanketed a cultural form of union to be a "humanitarian issue" and rightfully got called out for your ignorance.

If you'd called out forced marriages, you'd have a point.

Educate yourself and learn to present your arguments when appropriate.

Forced marriage is an arranged marriage, although an arranged marriage is not always forced. Though even when consensual, in many systems, the betrothed do not always have complete agency in their decision.

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This is just sad now
tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
UPDATE:

That was actually kinda funny, heh

You should consider quitting before you dig this hole any deeper. The word 'problematic' is irritating precisely because people like you use it disingenuously as some sort of trump card. If you are too lazy to make a reasoned point (and I would argue that you are not in a position to make an argument on this particular issue), don't make it at all.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
And some are problematic. Not a huge fan of how that word can be over used sometimes but it's simply objective truth. There are instances where women are basically sold like cattle.
I agree.
Now notice how you used the word 'some', while OP straight up went for 'many of which', implying that arranged marriages in general are, well, problematic.
This is probably what set the dude off.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You should consider quitting before you dig this hole any deeper. The word 'problematic' is irritating precisely because people like you use it disingenuously as some sort of trump card. If you are too lazy to make a reasoned point (and I would argue that you are not in a position to make an argument on this particular issue), don't make it at all.

In all seriousness, if there are people here that strongly feel bothered that this thread exists, then I will let it die. I'm not trying to upset anyone.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
In all seriousness, if there are people here that strongly feel bothered that this thread exists, then I will let it die. I'm not trying to upset anyone.
I don't think anyone is upset, I think they're analogous to the drum bit from "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins where it hits you so hard and well that you question reality just not in a good way.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine trying to cook someone in their own tweet thread only to get cooked in ur own thread about said attempt to cook someone on Twitter.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm sorry but I laughed at the far too ugly part. It's so ridiculous it made me lose it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes, ya just gotta know when to stop, OP. Like this pigeon. Can't keep spinning forever.

8Fze.gif

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's actually good to see the OP doesn't seem to care about the "thread backfire". Some reactions here make it seem like people are expecting the maker of a resetera.com forum thread to experience some kind of emotionally suffering if their thread is criticized.

Status
Not open for further replies.