• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So just wondering as Black Friday is around th corner and HDMI 2.1 monitors being impossible to find, how do next gen consoles hand DisplayPort? Will it work? Will I be able to do 120fps? HDR?

Revs

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles do not support DisplayPort natively. Of course hdmi to DP cable might work, dunno.
I wonder if gaming monitors that have FreeSync support will be compatible with PS5 VRR? Im thinking about playing R6 or Destiny in 1080p 120Hz with variable refressh as I doubt these can hold steady 120.

Nov 1, 2017
Is there even a hdmi 2.1 to displayport cable on the market?
Not yet.
So just wondering as Black Friday is around the corner and HDMI 2.1 monitors being impossible to find, how do next gen consoles hand DisplayPort? Will it work? Will I be able to do 120fps? HDR?
While you can use a Passive Adapter going from DisplayPort to HDMI (PC DisplayPort --> Passive Adapter --> Display w/HDMI), the opposite is not the case (Console HDMI --> Passive Adapter --> Display w/DisplayPort). In the second example, you would need to use an Active Adapter (powered device) to convert the HDMI signal into something that is compatible with DisplayPort. This is because DisplayPort on the display requires "direct communication" with the GPU, which is why passive "HDMI-to-DisplayPort" adapters don't exist. On the other hand, because HDMI does not require communication with the GPU to work, passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters do exist.

While HDMI --> DisplayPort powered adapters (or to put more aptly, Converters) do exist, I have never (de)confirmed if they add extra input latency in the process. It is unlikely to retain any of DisplayPort's unique features or signal bandwidth either, such as supporting Variable Refresh Rates and high resolutions (w/HDR).

I suppose this is all a very long way of saying "Sorry OP, what you're looking for doesn't exist." :/

Last edited:

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish, it would be so nice if home consoles included both hdmi and display port as available outputs you could choose from.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not yet.

While you can use a Passive Adapter going from DisplayPort to HDMI (PC DisplayPort --> Passive Adapter --> Display w/HDMI), the opposite is not the case (Console HDMI --> Passive Adapter --> Display w/DisplayPort). In the second example, you would need to use an Active Adapter (powered device) to convert the HDMI signal into something that is compatible with DisplayPort. This is because DisplayPort on the display requires "direct communication" with the GPU, which is why passive adapters do not work with this port. HDMI does not require communication with the GPU to work, thus why passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters do exist.

While HDMI --> DisplayPort powered adapters (or to put more aptly, Converters) do exist, I have never (de)confirmed if they add extra input latency in the process. It is unlikely to retain any of DisplayPort's unique features or signal bandwidth either, such as supporting Variable Refresh Rates and high resolutions (w/HDR).

that's good to know, looks like I will have to wait for a HDMI 2 monitor.

Thanks for the write up.

Nov 1, 2017
that's good to know, looks like I will have to wait for a HDMI 2 monitor.

Thanks for the write up.
No worries! I hope it all made sense. I still need my morning coffee. The reason I know all of this is because I went with a DisplayPort-Only monitor years back thinking I'd just be able to use a Passive Adapter for my consoles. Whoops. 😅

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No worries! I hope it all made sense. I still need my morning coffee. The reason I know all of this is because I went with a DisplayPort-Only monitor years back thinking I'd just be able to use a Passive Adapter for my consoles. Whoops. 😅
Thanks was helpful, at least I know I must go hdmi go hdmi 2.1

Nov 1, 2017
Watched this earlier, the Xbox sends it's 4k120 signal compressed which the receiver can't handle, whereas the PS5 send it uncompressed.

Or something
The Xbox Series uses Display Stream Compression (DSC), a lossless way of obtaining its HDMI 40gbps datarate. PlayStation 5 achieves an HDMI datarate of 32gbs, which is achieved by using a Fixed Link Rate (FRL). The Xbox achieves a better fidelity image (full 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling on the PS5), but it seems 2020 AVR systems have a hardware incompatibility and are unable to resolve the signal from devices that output a full DSC signal, in this case the Xbox Series).
Does using arc definitely cause a delay? Can you use optical for audio?

My CX arrives tomorrow and I terrified of unpacking it let alone HDMI issues
In my experience, using ARC introduces audio latency. You can use optical output from your TV and send it to your AVR. It won't support the lossless surround formats that a direct HDMI connection to your AVR can provide but it will have the same capabilities that ARC has (with no audio latency to boot).
Honestly other people can explain it more clearly, but arc (not earc) doesn't output higher than stereo with my XSX and Onkyo receiver. If you have an earc audio device and you try to bitstream (for Dolby) you get a delay that you can't fix. I'm not even sure where the blame lies, but I think it's an LG problem.

So your only options are use PCM or try a sharc by thenaudio

Yep. To elaborate: ARC (not eARC) is practically identical to optical in regards to audio support (uncompressed stereo or compressed surround sound), albeit with the additional downside of introducing extra audio latency.

eARC, while compatible with additional audio formats, still suffers from audio latency issues as you mentioned. Plus, not all TVs are able to export all audio formats via eARC either (e.g. the LG CX is unable to output DTS:X via eARC; this is due to the limited EDIF size, the metadata that accompanies an HDMI signal).