• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Level 5's successes were right before that trend started though, stuff like Pokemon and Yugioh had been around for years at that point.

I'm pretty sure that Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh weren't even designed as mixed media, they just synergized down the road. The Pokemon anime came out a year and some change after the game did and diverged on a bunch of points because it was an adaptation. The Yu-Gi-Oh manga wasn't even about the card game originally; the trading card game we know came out when the manga was running for three years, and there was even another card game by Bandai which tied in with the other anime.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the world was just, Nintendo would acquire Treasure, rehire their talent, add competent writers, and give them a lavish budget to make a new Starfox.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
There are still a few core members of the old Treasure team that remain unaccounted for and if all those people were to collaborate, they could credibly put out a genuine Treasure title... but again, nobody knows what happened to some of those guys or if they still get along with the president or whatever, so until it happens it's a big question mark. The fact that they're still not doing it after all this time suggests it can't happen but I really don't know.

The HD era killed off a lot of studios of Treasure's size and caliber--publishers wanted bigger and bigger games and the smaller companies were marginalized from the traditional console space as budgets increased the markets for traditional licensed titles and other smaller contract work dried up. Treasure was fortunate to be in a position where big publishers like Nintendo and MS would fund their work purely for name value, but that could only last so long.

I wish they handled their legacy like Sega's Ages team. (M2)

Which is kinda what I was hoping for. Considering the massive indie uprising in the downloadable space, there seems to be room for them. But I guess if their company mindset just wasn't able to make the course correction...

They just license stuff now, not sure that they even have a development team anymore.

We will probably see Radiant Silvergun ported to Switch at least.

I hope and pray that does end up happening.

Treasure and Cave... Gone the way of the dodo.

Fucking bangai o!

Cave did what Treasure refused to do and went all-in on mobile, and it's actually working out quite well for them.

And I am thankful for that, but in Cave's case, they could also stand to do what Treasure is doing and license some of those amazing fucking games for modern consoles. namely Switch. I mean, they only have three of their games on Steam right now out of a wonderful library of shmups. I don't wanna pay over $200 for a copy of Mushi Mushi Pork & Pink Sweets for 360 if they can throw it on the eShop and charge $20.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any company who lives upon the legacy of Treasure? similar ideas, gameplay, concepts, or just all around

I need my Treasure games man

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Which is kinda what I was hoping for. Considering the massive indie uprising in the downloadable space, there seems to be room for them. But I guess if their company mindset just wasn't able to make the course correction...

I hope and pray that does end up happening.

And I am thankful for that, but in Cave's case, they could also stand to do what Treasure is doing and license some of those amazing fucking games for modern consoles. namely Switch. I mean, they only have three of their games on Steam right now out of a wonderful library of shmups. I don't wanna pay over $200 for a copy of Mushi Mushi Pork & Pink Sweets for 360 if they can throw it on the eShop and charge $20.

You are aware that M2 has been porting CAVE's (and Raizing's) games to PS4 right? They recently released enhanced ports of Dangun Feveron and Ketsui to PS4 with an extra new mode, and Esp Ra De is the next one coming:

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/esp-ra-de-m2-shottriggers-release-teaser-website-opened

Oct 25, 2017
I want to live in a world where an Alien Soldier Director's Cut exists.

Maegawa sounds like he wants to work more in the last year's Venture Beat interview, but who knows.

Is there any company who lives upon the legacy of Treasure? similar ideas, gameplay, concepts, or just all around

I need my Treasure games man
This demo for Steam Heart is heavily inspired by Gunstar Heroes, both in mechanics and presentation, and the closest I ever found to it . Besides that, I don't think so =/

Arguably, the frenetic action style Treasure did is alive in Cuphead and Bleed, though the feeling (and the aesthetics) is not the same.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've heard this before, but does anyone have evidence that this was the case? Because Sega was running polls after the remaster was released to gauge other platform interest. That sounds more like timed exclusivity than funded development.
I don't have evidences bc I, too , have heard this everytime GH HD comes to conversation so I just assume yes, they've funded it because Sega didn't release this anywere and MS published another Treasure remaster, Radiant Silvergun.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like things are probably good for Radiant Silvergun HD ports to PS4, Steam, Switch, Android, etc. Maegawa's mentioned it before so where there's smoke there's probably fire.

As for the other stuff people want, the best hope is probably Sega and M2 doing the unlicensed stuff they own on Sega Ages (Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier). I don't have much hope for anything else, maybe just Sin & Punishment on the N64 Classic Mini whenever that happens. I'd love Silhouette Mirage HD or a Bangai-O Collection but those are probably too much work unless another publisher funds them.

From what I understand it's pretty much just Maekawa these days. I don't know who handled the Switch/PS4 ports of Ikaruga but I imagine they were outsourced/licensed.
The Android, Switch and PS4 ports were all developed by Zereo, which is a small start up made up of Game Arts vets.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Calling Cave "Alive" is very vague. It's like calling Konami "Alive". Both companies are pretty much Zombies. And both companies own great IP's.

As for Treasure, there are still a lot of people who are hoping for a sequel or spiritual successor to Ikaruga.

FHCb5dG.gif

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
These guys were masterful in their day. Gunstar and Guardian Heroes. Mischief Makers, Ikaruga. Good lord.... The masters of replay value.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Calling Cave "Alive" is very vague. It's like calling Konami "Alive". Both companies are pretty much Zombies. And both companies own great IP's.

As for Treasure, there are still a lot of people who are hoping for a sequel or spiritual successor to Ikaruga.

FHCb5dG.gif
Konami does a ton of development yet in the mobile and amusement sectors. It's just their console output they slashed dramatically.

Cave doesn't do anything though, I think like Treasure they're pretty much an IP holding company at this point.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Wow. And here I thought things were depressing as a Rare fan, but reading about what's happened to Treasure is just............yikes. I feel so sorry for any Treasure fans left. That's brutal. :/

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I keep forgetting Treasure made Gaist Crusher. What a disaster that turned out to be.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it myself but it seemed to be aggressively mediocre from everything I was reading. But it was definitely a disaster in the sense of the payoff from Capcom.

Like how they tried to use their other series to promote it:

gaistcrushergod7ik0o.jpg

Or the most famous artists from manga (which I only found out yesterday because goddamn this game fell of the face of the earth):

gaist5kck9n.jpg

gaist6aajvf.jpg

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played it myself but it seemed to be aggressively mediocre from everything I was reading. But it was definitely a disaster in the sense of the payoff from Capcom.

Like how they tried to use their other series to promote it:

gaistcrushergod7ik0o.jpg

Or the most famous artists from manga (which I only found out yesterday because goddamn this game fell of the face of the earth):

gaist5kck9n.jpg

gaist6aajvf.jpg

So like, in a pure gameplay sense the game looks like it wasn't necessarily bad but kind of unremarkable by Treasure standards, in that they almost always have some creative gameplay hook going on with them in their other stuff.

But geez, the everything else though. This thing looks like it was just mashing together as many anime action things as they could think of to try to will a media franchise into existence already fully formed.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
You are aware that M2 has been porting CAVE's (and Raizing's) games to PS4 right? They recently released enhanced ports of Dangun Feveron and Ketsui to PS4 with an extra new mode, and Esp Ra De is the next one coming:

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/esp-ra-de-m2-shottriggers-release-teaser-website-opened

I was aware of Ketsui, yeah, but not the others. Don't own a PS4. But good to know.

Hey, it's a start. Now to figure out wtf any of that says. :P And if I can even purchase it somehow!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They need to tap Square-Enix on the shoulder and get Mischief Makers ported to Switch!

Would be great if they could get Guardian Heroes ported as well, of course.
It's honestly criminal how mistreated Enix's back catalogue is by Square Enix. The only IPs they seem to give a shit about is Dragon Quest, Star Ocean and surprisingly Valkyrie Profile now.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

Sorry, I've not played it - I was just meaning in the sense like L Thammy says, it was a complete sales disaster for Capcom in Japan. Like, I'm pretty sure the first game's original shipment still hasn't sold out over there and there's something like 50k copies left on shelves or some ridiculous number (post from old site showing this).

Like, I don't know a great deal about Treasure's current state but I wonder how much of it is down to how badly Gaist Crusher did.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All this talk of all these amazing games Treasure made and nobody brought up Astro Boy yet. So, so underrated. Amazing beat 'em up.

So good it's the game that finally convinced me to splurge and get all the Tezuka books I could find in French back then - I only really knew 80s Atom and Blackjack OVA before that. I'm still grateful, if only for Hi no Tori.

Omega Factor is a fantastic game. I've never understood why nobody talked about it at the time.

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Cave doesn't do anything though, I think like Treasure they're pretty much an IP holding company at this point.

I recently bought Ikaruga for Switch in the latest sale (already own it for PC for about two years now) and was interested what Treasure is currently up to. The truth is, it's a big mystery. They do own a few of the IP's they created, but most stuff was either licensed stuff or stuff for where the IP holder is SEGA or Nintendo.

There is a pretty new interview by Games Beat with Treasure president Masato Maegawa. It's actually pretty interesting. But what's more interesting is, everytime the interviewer is asking something about Remasters of older titles or complete new one, Maegawa is blocking or answering in the typical japanese way of saying much but actually not saying anything. From what he is talking, the company seems far from dead. But it could also mean that there aren't currently any plans to release something new.

Interview: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/08/...treasure-on-keeping-games-old-school-forever/

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Has it? They haven't released anything in years it feels like, none of their games have even been updated to iOS11.

Cave has an original gacha shooting game out in Japan and Asia called Gothic wa Mahou Otome that has been extremely profitable, far in excess of anything else they've done.

Part of the reason their older titles never got updated on iOS is because the specific programmers behind them are no longer there, IIRC.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Treasure and my old favorite Technosoft.

I think Sega snagged them but i am not sure if any of the devs still make games?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh how I miss Treasure.

They were my 90's Platinum Games.

I still think the Seven Force is best boss.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame, because I think they would do very well in today's digital climate compared to last generation.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The company itself is basically just an empty shell that licenses its IP now.

The real question is, where are the former staff now and what are they up to?

Remember: games are made by people, not companies

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Treasure and my old favorite Technosoft.

I think Sega snagged them but i am not sure if any of the devs still make games?

Sega bought the Technosoft catalog, yeah.

Technosoft is a different case in the sense that they were constantly losing and bringing in new people while they were still active: to given an example, there's almost no crossover in staff between the development teams of Thunder Force 3 and Thunder Force 4, and then again from Thunder Force 4 to Thunder Force 5.

Those old Technosoft devs are all over the industry and there's no one studio that really continues to make games in that style at least nowadays. Perhaps the most notable spinoff is a company called CAProduction--they're the guys who made Thunder Force 2 and 3, and their first game after going independent was Gate of Thunder for Turbografx CD which might as well be a Thunder Force game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If they are just licensing out their old ip, can that do it a little big faster lol. One of my dream was Bangai - O DC get Remastered for Vita. Yes vita not switch, the hardware is more than enough for the game and vita 1000 oled screens make it looks best on the go in true widescreen.

OP
OP
GeekyDad

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I recently bought Ikaruga for Switch in the latest sale (already own it for PC for about two years now) and was interested what Treasure is currently up to. The truth is, it's a big mystery. They do own a few of the IP's they created, but most stuff was either licensed stuff or stuff for where the IP holder is SEGA or Nintendo.

There is a pretty new interview by Games Beat with Treasure president Masato Maegawa. It's actually pretty interesting. But what's more interesting is, everytime the interviewer is asking something about Remasters of older titles or complete new one, Maegawa is blocking or answering in the typical japanese way of saying much but actually not saying anything. From what he is talking, the company seems far from dead. But it could also mean that there aren't currently any plans to release something new.

Interview: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/08/...treasure-on-keeping-games-old-school-forever/

Good read. Thanks!

Cave has an original gacha shooting game out in Japan and Asia called Gothic wa Mahou Otome that has been extremely profitable, far in excess of anything else they've done.

Part of the reason their older titles never got updated on iOS is because the specific programmers behind them are no longer there, IIRC.

Yeah, they definitely seem to have successfully melded their shooting with the modern mobile platform. But...none of that stuff has come over here, unfortunately.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
I may as well buy an xbox for guardian heroes and radiant silvergun! Maybe if there is enough demand Sega may do something

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
ugh this thread is making me sad. Love Treasure's games to death. I really hope they somehow get Guardian heroes onto PC or anything current gen system. The games they make are truly one of a kind but strikes exactly where i like it weird, wacky, challenging, and great attention to animation/detail. I miss em :(

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's honestly criminal how mistreated Enix's back catalogue is by Square Enix. The only IPs they seem to give a shit about is Dragon Quest, Star Ocean and surprisingly Valkyrie Profile now.

It's always their RPGs that get the love. Games like Mischief Makers? No one seems to give a shit. Shame since I'd put Mischief Makers over any of those series any day (like VP a lot though).

So good it's the game that finally convinced me to splurge and get all the Tezuka books I could find in French back then - I only really knew 80s Atom and Blackjack OVA before that. I'm still grateful, if only for Hi no Tori.

Omega Factor is a fantastic game. I've never understood why nobody talked about it at the time.

Yeah it's the one Treasure game nobody ever talks about much despite being on of their best games. Was my favourite game on the GBA. Can still play it to this day via emulation and have a blast. People craving a great Treasure game who haven't played it really, really should.