• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on episode 2 and I can barely remember what happened. Tempted to just not bother, despite the irritating lack of closure.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Complete and utter train wreck, what a waste of time lol.

Up there with Dexter's final season.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has more or less liked this show all along, I'm finding this season incredibly boring and contrived, even by HoC standards. Only four episodes in and I'm already tired of this ridiculous Shepard bullshit. Out of nowhere we're introduced to these 2-3 characters who actually secretly rule the country, which is making everyone else act ridiculously in reaction to them.

"President won't sign this simple deregulatory bill? Well shoot her!"
Fucking lol.

Just started the season, but why is Stamper not in jail? Or on trial?

I'm halfway through the season and unless I missed something it still hasn't been made clear to me how exactly he ended up in psychiatric care rather than prison.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Feb 10, 2018
Yes, we are sure. Thankfully we are not going to be subjected to any more of this drivel.

The entire season is filled with inane dialogue such as this.

This last season just felt like a House of Cards sketch on SNL

Yes it maybe drivel, but it didnt even end...
What happens to Claire?
All the other people involved, the shepards etc

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just found this by chance today. The show has really gone downhill for me since the start (with a little more intrigue come last season), but I'll see it off anyhow.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this was a pretty shitty way to end what was a pretty great series.

Can tell that they were just finishing it to finish it.

Wonder how different would it have been had spacey not been a pretty despicable human

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I watched the first 10 minutes of episode one and the last 10 of episode eight. What a wreck. Glad I didn't bother sitting through the whole thing.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just found this by chance today. The show has really gone downhill for me since the start (with a little more intrigue come last season), but I'll see it off anyhow.

Aaaand I completely forgot Spacey was off the show. I'll still try to get through it I think? Expectations are lowered, but I may as well finish it off. Plus, Claire's actress can own a scene as well.

joeposh

Oct 27, 2017
I would have respected this season/ending so much more if they just went full batshit mode and had Claire...

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this season was awful and boring to boot. I feel bad for even having the slightest of expectations. Reaching the Doug and Claire rivalry to a head was almost promising on paper, but the execution was awful.

Oh well, it's over now.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think I understand what the original season 6 was.

Clearly Frank was suppose to be the guy that is the "Koch brother" guy this season. If claire didn't pardon doug, and frank. frank would sabatoge his wife?

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole season was a soap opera. Total train-wreck lmao. And that ending, oh god. What a disgrace for. Claire was such a good character and she was wasted with nonsense plot points.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If I still thought the later seasons of HOC were entertaining will I enjoy this? This is a actually a decent sized thread for a season that people seem to hate the show so badly lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If I still thought the later seasons of HOC were entertaining will I enjoy this? This is a actually a decent sized thread for a season that people seem to hate the show so badly lol
I've more or less enjoyed all 5 seasons before this one. But I'm 5 episodes into this one and...it's pretty bad, and seems to be getting stupider with each ep. Maybe this will amount to something worthwhile in the end but the tone of this thread makes me doubt it :lol

Right now I'd say you're better off just letting the show end at S5 in your mind.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Probably not.
The whole thing is an infuriating waste of time that resolves nothing and then just... ends.
They probably could have done something interesting to wrap things up knowing they weren't going anywhere, but they don't really bother. They actively throw in a bunch of new plot threads literally just to leave them unresolved.

This is probably the worst wrap up to a show I've ever seen, and not because they don't know what they're doing, or accidentally fuck up tonally and make something silly. They just seemingly didn't give a fuck any more.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not.
The whole thing is an infuriating waste of time that resolves nothing and then just... ends.
They probably could have done something interesting to wrap things up knowing they weren't going anywhere, but they don't really bother. They actively throw in a bunch of new plot threads literally just to leave them unresolved.

This is probably the worst wrap up to a show I've ever seen, and not because they don't know what they're doing, or accidentally fuck up tonally and make something silly. They just seemingly didn't give a fuck any more.

Sounds like they were committed to the season but knew it would be the last one so they just phoned it in. I think I'll pass.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Finally watched the last episode after not entirely hating the rest of the season.
giphy.gif

That last scene and then the credits. I don't even know.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they were committed to the season but knew it would be the last one so they just phoned it in. I think I'll pass.

Unless you have a morbid curiosity to see exactly how they just punch the clock for 8 episodes then drop everything, probably for the best.

Head-canon-don't-bother-to-watch-it-summary: (this is not what happens)
  • Claire has Frank killed in his sleep, and all his secrets die with him and Claire doesn't need to be compromised with a pardon.
  • Claire as POTUS does a shit job and is hated by everyone, just like when she was a UN ambassador, as she gets played by the Russians.
  • A furious country heckling and booing her as she gives a state of the union concludes with a gunshot; it was Tom Hammershmidt furious that his exposé has been ignored and determined to put an end to the power couple destroying the country.
  • As he's arrested on TV for the assassination, pan back to it being Viktor Petrov watching it, as he then turns to the camera and does a 4th wall break saying soemthing like "well now, how did you expect things to end?"
the fucking end

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Season wasn't worth really getting into so I'll just say I did find it passably entertaining, despite obvious flaws and a poor ending. Really the thing that bothers me most about the series is I felt like Claire's overall motives and personality changed season to season for convenience of the story, so I could never get into her character and obviously the final season being about her made that rather important.

Anyway, I'd still recommend the series in general to other people though and just say drop it whenever you start losing interest as it's pretty steadily downhill, but worth getting into for S1 alone which I still hold in pretty high regard as rewatchable fun.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My God what a shit ending. I can forgive them for a shitty season since they unexpectedly had to find a way to wrap it up but there's no excuse for that ending.

Netflix made a fool of me for watching this show.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
What? That was it?
I've only just finished it, what kind of ending it that? It basically just stops dead, it's barely a final season when loads of plot threads are still left open.

Anyway, for the season as a whole, I think it started better than it ended, I quite liked the first 4-5 episodes, but by the second half it just felt like loads of plot points were getting rushed through. There were times when a given conversation was going on it was quite difficult to determine what people were talking about on a first pass without just inferring some stuff.

House of Cards has always been a show that doesn't like getting bogged down in the detailed minutiae and mechanics of some of it's plot points, and it's been more on the side of the characters and grand gestures and movements. Now there's something to be said for that but this lacking of detail felt even worse to me this season, maybe it's due to the reduced episode count?
As an example, Doug, I have really got no idea where his loyalties lied this season, or the reasoning behind much of actions. Maybe that's the point to a degree and he was just out for himself after all, but it was so confusing nonetheless even right up to the last moment; I had no idea if he was
working with the Shepherds or not or if attempting to kill Clare was an off the cuff thing when he got mad.

Last edited:

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Disgraceful ending to a disgraced show. Fitting in some ways, hated the ending, made no sense, some of the stuff that happened is straight up fantasy novel stuff.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
So, episode 5 question:

Was Claire's faked illness really just to have probable cause to fire her entire cabinet? Actual answers, please.

Finally watched the last episode after not entirely hating the rest of the season.
giphy.gif
I fully expect this to be my reaction.

pan back to it being Viktor Petrov watching it, as he then turns to the camera and does a 4th wall break saying soemthing like "well now, how did you expect things to end?"
I'd love this.

Let's Mozart in the Jungle the SHIT out of it.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Man the last season was rough to watch, but I'm glad the cast and crew got some extra time to look for new jobs.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay. I've finished six episodes now.

It's terrible.

They are really overusing this bullshit if looking into the camera and saying something witty. Wtf?! Every fucking episode Claire is looking into the camera to say some stupid shit. The showrunner rarely used that in past seasons. It wasn't several times in every fucking episode like it is now. And they've got Doug in on the act. Jesus Christ! Enough with that shit!

And we have a 60 year old woman pregnant to avoid giving Doug his inheritance. Yeah that makes a lot of sense and is so realistic! /s

Oh and the whole stupid audio recoding frank left. We never hear it for obvious reasons but we have Doug recite it back to us or watch him listen to it. Fascinating television! Why not just make it a fucking written diary so we don't have to make these terrible excuses as to why the audience can't hear it.

Jeez this is just so terrible. But I'm nearly done. Gotta power through

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait. What. That was the way the series ended? Omfg. What a joke! Nothing was tied up. Did they run out of money or something? I'm so confused.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have a morbid curiosity to see exactly how they just punch the clock for 8 episodes then drop everything, probably for the best.

Head-canon-don't-bother-to-watch-it-summary: (this is not what happens)
  • Claire has Frank killed in his sleep, and all his secrets die with him and Claire doesn't need to be compromised with a pardon.
  • Claire as POTUS does a shit job and is hated by everyone, just like when she was a UN ambassador, as she gets played by the Russians.
  • A furious country heckling and booing her as she gives a state of the union concludes with a gunshot; it was Tom Hammershmidt furious that his exposé has been ignored and determined to put an end to the power couple destroying the country.
  • As he's arrested on TV for the assassination, pan back to it being Viktor Petrov watching it, as he then turns to the camera and does a 4th wall break saying soemthing like "well now, how did you expect things to end?"
the fucking end

Honestly this is way better than the shit we got.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed after Spacey was fired that the writers reworked their 13-episode plan for the season into 8 episodes, but it feels more like they just cut out a couple episodes from the middle and then cut a couple episodes that had been planned for after what is the finale.

The time jump between episodes 6 and 7 doesn't really work, because there's now too little time to explain the changes in every character:
  • suddenly Claire is widely beloved, with her three weeks of Howard Hughes-esque isolation and the near-invoking of the 25th Amendment against her completely forgotten
  • Bill Shepard is completely neutered while Annette is masterminding assassination plots (and why exactly is she freezing him out now anyway?)
  • Mark has gone to being some behind-the-scenes power broker which I guess doesn't raise any eyebrows despite being a former vice president accused of colluding with the Russian government (and colluding over what, exactly, and for what? I don't think this is ever actually explained)
  • Claire's Godfather/Five Families style massacre is immediately forgotten
  • Doug's loyalties and motivations, insofar as they are never quite clear, undergo multiple 180s in each of the remaining episodes
And so on.

Then we get to the finale, which ends every plot thread on a cliffhanger. And it's not so much the cliffhanger aspect that annoys me, but the fact that the cliffhanger says nothing about the show. This is what six years of stories amounted to? It's nothing! It didn't amount to anything in the end. Cliffhangers or not, the ending says nothing about the show. Not to mention the litany of baffling plot holes around it:
  • How exactly is Claire going to explain why Doug was allowed in the Oval Office for a one-on-one meeting, completely alone, after the White House was just evacuated, that ended him lying dead in a pool of blood?
  • How exactly did Frank even end up in the WH residence to be killed in the first place? S5 ends with Claire and Frank declaring war on each other, and Frank essentially a fugitive as Claire was not pardoning him. Why was he allowed back inside the WH months later, and how did Doug plan it to posion Frank via undisclosed meds to kill him before he could kill Claire? (Also, Frank Underworld, the Machiavellian mastermind who manipulates other people into hurting themselves for him, was going to straight up murder the president in the WH residence and get away with it?!)
  • Speaking of which, how exactly did Doug pull off this vague murder of a former president while he was (supposedly) in fucking jail?!
There's more but I feel like I've spent more time thinking through these things than the writers have by this point. :lol

I was planning to be let down by the ending because I thought the rest of the season leading up to it was pretty horrible -- and I particularly hated the focus on the out-of-nowhere Shepards, who, along with Mark and Jane, completely usurped the show -- but I'm still annoyed by how bad and poorly thought through the whole thing was. I can appreciate how under the gun they were after Spacey was fired but this just feels like they gave up.[/spoiler]

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What I really hated was that there was barely any actual POLITICS in the show, it was all stripped down to Claire vs. the rich brother and sister.

The only part of the season I liked that actually felt like it was House of Cards was when Claire was manipulating the media by making it look like she was breaking down, but even that failed in the end because it didn't end up leading to anything unless I'm forgetting because of how bad these episodes were.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I know internet hyperbole means "worst _____ ever" gets flung around way too often, but I genuinely can't think of a TV show that I've been more disappointed with at its conclusion.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it.

Was this a final "Fuck you" to Spacey somehow?

That ending had to be intentionally bad.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I've finished six episodes now.

It's terrible.

They are really overusing this bullshit if looking into the camera and saying something witty. Wtf?! Every fucking episode Claire is looking into the camera to say some stupid shit. The showrunner rarely used that in past seasons. It wasn't several times in every fucking episode like it is now. And they've got Doug in on the act. Jesus Christ! Enough with that shit!

And we have a 60 year old woman pregnant to avoid giving Doug his inheritance. Yeah that makes a lot of sense and is so realistic! /s

Oh and the whole stupid audio recoding frank left. We never hear it for obvious reasons but we have Doug recite it back to us or watch him listen to it. Fascinating television! Why not just make it a fucking written diary so we don't have to make these terrible excuses as to why the audience can't hear it.

Jeez this is just so terrible. But I'm nearly done. Gotta power through

If you're only on episode 6 and you're mad now, prepare yourself for the ending.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Its not anywhere near good but its also not anywhere near Dexter final season bad either.

Disagree. I was able to finish watching Dexter. I shut this shit off after the first episode and then watched the very end of the final episode then read some recaps. This is probably the worst, most abrupt dropoff of a TV show ever. Heroes, Lost, Dexter... none of them come even close.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're only on episode 6 and you're mad now, prepare yourself for the ending.
I finished it. I thought there was one more episode and then I was confused when there wasn't. Like wtf?! Did they run out of money? There is confirmed not another season, right? How do you end the show like THAT?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it. I thought there was one more episode and then I was confused when there wasn't. Like wtf?! Did they run out of money? There is confirmed not another season, right? How do you end the show like THAT?

Netflix wanted to make us look like fools for watching it and they succeeded.