• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't seem like a joke. Where are we getting that?

It seems like he is legit saying that it is Pi day, which explains the Pewdiepie reference and that it might not be Pi day anymore in NZ because of the timezones.

Am I missing something?

That's my view of it too. Anything else doesn't make much sense to me. I could be wrong.

On a side note, I'm tired of him being a topic around here. For anything.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why that would even be appropriate or important to post in response to a deadly terrorist attack?

As someone posted above, Pachter seems to think it is related to why there is some kind of reference to pewdiepie. I don't know that it is an accurate assessment of why, but I am not getting that he meant it as a joke.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I really think there's no reason his "analysis" should be allowed on this board anymore after this. He offers absolutely nothing of note, and while the jokes about the opposition to his views coming true are funny, that's not enough to justify a place on Era anymore. Dozens died and he's happy to make light of it for cheap laughs.

Fuck him right off.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Wtf does Pi day have to do with a mosque shooting?

Jesus Christ this guy is ignorant and dumb.

The tweet he replied to referenced PewDiePie. He was riffing off of that with a Pi Day joke, then pointing out that it might not be Pi Day anymore in New Zealand because New Zealand is in a different time zone.

....yeah

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fairly obvious what he's saying. I'm a little puzzled as to how people can miss the point so badly.

14/3 is called "Pi day" in reference to the number. Over here, it's common to do pie-themed events on that day. Upon hearing the news that the video in question has references to PewDiePie, he's suggesting that maybe it's an intentional refence to Pi Day. However, he's questioning this because it's currently the 15/3 in Aus/NZ. If the killer had timed their attack for 14/3, it could be seen as some kind of sick Pi Day/PewDiePie thing.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Pachter felt like this when he made a very stupid Pie pun.

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know im more angry with THQ right now giving 8chan a bigger audience to see this shit go down. This whole shooting started at 8chan.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like a joke. Where are we getting that?

It seems like he is legit saying that it is Pi day, which explains the Pewdiepie reference and that it might not be Pi day anymore in NZ because of the timezones.

Am I missing something?
yeah after reading the tweet several times i'm not sure he was joking. could be that he didn't word it correctly.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure why the last version of this thread was closed. Yes it's related to the ongoing incident, but this particular aspect is notable for gaming side, and Pachter should absolutely be called out for whatever this bullshit is.
The Tweet had already been posted several times in other threads with ongoing discussion on it. After brief consideration we decided to reopen this separate thread.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure of the specific contents anymore, but it was something in the vein of, "Was never a fan of his business strategies, but RIP I guess".

Not even sure wtf he's trying to say here.
Also said "late but not so great Iwata" or something like that like right after the man had died.

edit: Nate has it above.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
yeah after reading the tweet several times i'm not sure he was joking. could be that he didn't word it correctly.
How could he possibly have worded that to not come off as saying something completely insensitive and/or fucked up?

Even if it's not a joke, how does it not being Pi day have ANYTHING to do with this incident?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can you explain why that would even be appropriate or important to post in response to a deadly terrorist attack?

It seemed like he was saying it's "pi day" as an explanation for why a shooter would say something so seemingly random as subscribe to pewdiepie, then realized that since NZ is way ahead in the clock it's now 3:15 for them.

Don't want to defend this guy if he was trying to make an offensive joke, I just don't really see anything in that tweet that's structured like a joke. Like what part are we supposed to laugh at?

Oct 26, 2017
It seemed like he was saying it's "pi day" as an explanation for why a shooter would say something so seemingly random as subscribe to pewdiepie, then realized that since NZ is way ahead in the clock it's now 3:15 for them.

Don't want to defend this guy if he was trying to make an offensive joke, I just don't really see anything in that tweet that's structured like a joke. Like what part are we supposed to laugh at?
Agreed

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How could he possibly have worded that to not come off as saying something completely insensitive and/or fucked up?

Even if it's not a joke, how does it not being Pi day have ANYTHING to do with this incident?
he could have meant that the killer chose pi day to do the mass shooting to go along with his subscribe to pewdiepie remark before doing it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a single good or productive thread with this fucker's name in the title.

He needs to be a blacklisted source for anything, including quotes. -_-

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What an utter cunt. Fire this man and ban discussion of him. Dozens of people are dead or fighting for their lives and this is his gut take. Complete trash.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fuck kind of human being does this during an active fucking shooting?

Also the video referenced pewdiepie?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

"Subscribe to PewDiePie" isn't random. It's not. It's a stupid-ass meme. It has nothing to do with Pi Day. I'm struggling to understand why he'd ever think that tweet was needed. Joke or not, it's silly.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing about the statement is a joke. It's a pertinent observation about the date the attack took place on, with the caveat that Pi Day was yesterday.

Yeah, that's why I didn't read it as a joke. Nothing about it seems like it's supposed to be funny, just an observation as you said.

Oct 26, 2017
The title of this thread really should be updated. People are coming in here fired up with the assumption Pacther wrote that comment to make light/joke about the shooting.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Even if it wasn't a joke surely if you saw the reactions to the tweet you would take it down and apologise straight away explaining that it was misunderstood. Either way it's not a decent reaction to the tragedy that is unfolding right now...

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What incredibly poor taste. Jesus Christ MP.

Not sure why the pewdiepie part is even worth mentioning though patrick

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah there's no way he can be this ignorant. If not the connotations re: pewdiepie, then the 'meme'. Also the connection between pi day and pewdiepie is nonexistent.

He made that snide comment about Iwata, so it's pretty obvious he was scoffing at the deaths of innocent men women and children.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
seriously, wtf. bad look dude.

Seriously Pachter, we know you browse here, and you're probably not a total asshole. So do yourself a favor and delete that shit and then apologize to the world you insensitive prick.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

yeah, embarrassingly enough, this's very likely all down to him trying to show how cool/hip he is by knowing that it's 'pi day'...

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The thread title is unfair to Pachter and should be changed.

Timeline is:

- Killer mentions "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" in his video
- Pachter speculates that the attack might have been intentionally timed to land on pi day, aka 3/14

For the record he is wrong (it is actually March 15 down this side of the world) but he's not making light of a terrorist attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.