• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I thought he meant it might not be pi day in NZ because the shooter mentioned pewdiepie and the NZ ppl reject all things pewdiepie including pi day, Because of the tragedy and its relation to pewdiepie?
He was referring to the time zone difference, I believe. New Zealand is almost a full day ahead of where Pachter is located (Los Angeles I believe )

Wouldn't it have been around 9pm his time when he posted it?

Yeah so that is an early bed time but who knows

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I'm pretty sure Michael Pachter would not intentionally use a mass shooting as an opportunity for Twitter puns. Maybe the tweet was ill timed but nailing him to the cross for this is ridiculous.

People really want to pounce on this guy every time he opens his mouth. He's just a fucking stock analyst, guys.

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think he was trying to make a joke, but just speculating. But it doesn't even matter because woooooooowwww this is literally the worst timing for this shit. like why what is the point

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think he was trying to make a joke, but just speculating. But it doesn't even matter because woooooooowwww this is literally the worst timing for this shit. like why what is the point

I mean, I think it only looks bad because it can come across as an attempt at humor. If he had posted speculation without an unintentional pun then nobody would have cared.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Michael Pachter would not intentionally use a mass shooting as an opportunity for Twitter puns. Maybe the tweet was ill times but nailing him to the cross for this is ridiculous.

People really want to pounce on this guy every time he opens his mouth. He's just a fucking stock analyst, guys.

You're pretty sure based on your reading, many are not because the tweet is unclear. If he was attempting to make a joke, he should absolutely be nailed to the cross. Given that this is a person who took a jab at Iwata posthumously, it's not unreasonable to think he might be attempting a joke here either. Hell the person he tweeted this at was appalled as well. It's clearly not obvious what the intent here was.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an updated timeline:

- 6 hours ago pewdiepie tweets "Happy Pie Day', a day that is of significance to him as he has celebrated in the past. 'Pi' day is March 14, aka 3/14, aka 3.1415....

- Couple of hours later the killer mentions "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" before slaughtering innocent people

- Pachter speculates that the timing of the attack may have been intentional so as to land on Pi day (It's not actually pi day in NZ)

- Pachter's tweet has the cadence of a pithy joke tweet, but is clearly not intended to make light of the situation if you understand the context

- Thread is posted on Resetera with a thread title that is along the lines of "Pachter makes light of attack"

- Pachter is condemned by Resetera either for making a joke (which he isn't), or for speculating idly (which is what half of Resetera is doing currently as well in the other thread)

So what you're saying is that ResetERA is the real villain here, right? Because Pachter and the Pewds did nothing wrong. Is that what you're saying? Nevermind the shooter shouting "Subscribe to PewDiePie", the massive history of signal boosting of alt-right messages by our good friend Pi-man here, and the complete lack of awareness by Pachter and his not-a-joke.

Glad you and your FACTS sorted this out. Nothing else to see here, people.

You just created the narrative that suits your interests.

Also, I saw your edit from before. Nobody knows nothing but you? Come on.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but all I see is your opinion? I figured you had some actual reasoning or facts that demonstrate how it was "clearly not a joke".

How about you explain how it is a joke? Like i can understand the person who thought Pachter was inventing a pun, but i explained already how this isn't something Pachter made up as a joke (Pi day is a decently well known fake holiday among geeks here in au/nz, and there's a clear link between the day and PDP already, hence why he might mention it).

If he's not making a pun then what exactly is the joke?

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
You're pretty sure based on your reading, many are not because the tweet is unclear. If he was attempting to make a joke, he should absolutely be nailed to the cross. Given that this is a person who took a jab at Iwata posthumously, it's not unreasonable to think he might be attempting a joke here either. Hell the person he tweeted this at was appalled as well. It's clearly not obvious what the intent here was.

I don't know, Pachter doesn't really seem like the type of guy to me to shitpost on Twitter. And I've always chalked up his Iwata comment for having his head too far up in the business analyst clouds. A lot of people in a profession develop a "hammer viewing everything as a nail" problem, and to him Iwata was a CEO to be judged based on his performance instead of a human being that people were attached to. I don't think he was intentionally trying to be edgy. He's too much of a milquetoast, upper-middle class white dude for that

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is that ResetERA is the real villain here, right? Because Pachter and the Pewds did nothing wrong. Is that what you're saying? Nevermind the shooter shouting "Subscribe to PewDiePie", the massive history of signal boosting of alt-right messages by our good friend Pi-man here, and the complete lack of awareness by Pachter and his not-a-joke.

Glad you and your FACTS sorted this out. Nothing else to see here, people.

You just created the narrative that suits your interests.

Also, I saw your edit from before. Nobody knows nothing but you? Come on.

This is complete nonsense. Accusing me of saying PDP did nothing wrong. Get a grip.

I edited my post slightyl because it was a bit harsh and not necessary. For reference i told the person they "had no idea what they are talking about.

Jun 26, 2018
How about you explain how it is a joke? Like i can understand the person who thought Pachter was inventing a pun, but i explained already how this isn't something Pachter made up as a joke (Pi day is a decently well known fake holiday among geeks here in au/nz, and there's a clear link between the day and PDP already, hence why he might mention it).

If he's not making a pun then what exactly is the joke?

I don't care if it's a joke or not, I think it's a bad look regardless and he should clarify himself, because it's ambiguous and you agree with me.

So I don't understand why you hammer on saying it's "clearly not a joke" as long as you have "the facts" which as it turns out, is nothing more than your own personal interpretation of Pachter's tweets.

That ain't facts.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
01. Has there been any statement on the shooter deliberately picking the date for some reason? I'd normally think not, but Columbine occurred on Hitler's birthday.

02. Don't NZ, AUS, etc note dates backwards? as in 14/3? There wouldn't even be a "pi day" there unless I'm confusing it with another country. Did he basically make a joke about a date notation that doesn't exist in the respective country?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Joke or not.

Pachter is fucking trash. His utterly stomach-turning and unnecessary Iwata comment should have been the red line already on this forum.

also smh @ the guy above (Pikelet) constantly presenting his personal opinion as "facts".

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the two tweets in the OP alone I'm not seeing a joke. It seems that he is making a connection with PewDiePie (Guns/Death/Pie). To me it reads like he's throwing it out there as an idea or connection.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
40 people are dead and the first thing the guy does is speculate (if we give him the benefit of the doubt). Wouldn't a decent human beings first reaction if they have to post on twitter to be that they are disgusted by the attacks and that they are sending their love to everyone affected?

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst industry analyst ever how does this man still have a job with such bad and safe predictions? Hopefully he finally gets fired now.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Maybe I'm bad at getting jokes, but if that's a joke what is the punchline? I don't get it. What are you all saying it's a joke laughing at?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Pachter choosing that particular statement by Klepek to interject is half of why it sounds so out-of-line to me.

Oct 27, 2017
This is complete nonsense. Accusing me of saying PDP did nothing wrong. Get a grip.

I edited my post slightyl because it was a bit harsh and not necessary. For reference i told the person they "had no idea what they are talking about.

Your opinion = facts.

Anyone else's opinion = completely nonesense, they have no idea what they're talking about, etc.

Gotcha.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Maybe I'm bad at getting jokes, but if that's a joke what is the punchline? I don't get it. What are you all laughing at?
The shooter said "subscribe to PewDiePie"

Pachter is drawing a connection to "Pi Day" (3/14 in the US). But I'm not sure how it applies to a place where this is no "3/14." Seems less like a joke and more like speculation based on incorrect knowledge about regional differences. But I don't get "stick to video games" as a response when it's already two gaming industry people talking about something that has nothing to do with their field...

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He (Pachter) tried to tell some joke are tried to come up with some reference to a tweet that is talking about a mass shooting.
Don't try to come up with some explanation what he tried to do, because Pachter knew to what he was replying to and
what happened by just reading the tweet by Patrick.

So fuck him

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The shooter said "subscribe to PewDiePie"

Pachter is drawing a connection to "Pi Day" (3/14 in the US). But I'm not sure how it applies to a place where this is no "3/14." Seems less like a joke and more like speculation based on incorrect knowledge about regional differences. But I don't get "stick to video games" as a response when it's already two gaming industry people talking about something that has nothing to do with their field...
I see. I'm still bit baffled how it's construed as a joke, what do people think is intended as the "funny" part so to speak. I'm not seeing why the Tweet is considered out of line for any reason. I'm not familiar with the situation though, so I'm probably missing something crucial.

Edit: Need to catch up to the events, this thread was the first time for me hearing about the shooting.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Your opinion = facts.

Anyone else's opinion = completely nonesense, they have no idea what they're talking about, etc.

Gotcha.
You lied about multiple things that I said and then used those lies to justify your thesis that i think that "my opinions are facts."

You accused me of supporting Pewdiepie and saying that he did nothing wrong. I said nothing of the sort and in reality I actually think that PDP is a piece of trash. This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand though, just like your previous post.

You also accused me of saying "Nobody knows nothing but me", when i never said anything even close to that. What i did say (before I edited it out) was that the person I was replying to "didn't know what they are talking about". This is completely different to what you have accused me of saying. The person in question thought that Pachter made up 'Pi day' as a pun. I explained why this is untrue. Honestly i stand by what i said anyway, i simply edited it out because it was a bit rude.

You are making up lies and baseless accusations, and so I'm done arguing with you.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Michael Pachter would not intentionally use a mass shooting as an opportunity for Twitter puns. Maybe the tweet was ill timed but nailing him to the cross for this is ridiculous.

This is the same guy who decided to respond with Iwata's death with the phrase "the late and not-so-great Iwata". He is tasteless either way. And he keeps making tasteless comments in that manner. Maybe he didn't mean it in a mean spirited way, but when he keeps on doing it I start to believe in it being an accident less and less.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet he's responding to is literally about the mass shooting. It's right there in front of your eyes.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a crazy thing to think he was trying for a joke considering the backlash both here and in replies to that tweet.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

But he did. That is exactly what he did.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the maker of " The late and not so great Iwata".

He's always been a piece of shit, people just loved him because he directed his nastiness at Nintendo while having this aura of a "" successful businessman""".

Whenever I picture a non-Redneck Republican voter who is only in it for the tax cuts and cares about literally nothing else, I see him.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The tweet he's responding to is literally about the mass shooting. It's right there in front of your eyes.

But he did. That is exactly what he did.

As has been stated already in this thread, there is every chance he was referring to the timezone difference and not making a shitty joke. You know that right?

Surely he should be given some kind of benefit of the doubt before the torch and pitchforks are brought out so hastily.

If it turns out he winds up apologising for making light of the situation, then yeah, go all out.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he was making light of the attack. His tweet reads like he was referring to the 3/14 Pi day and then said it's probably not Pi day in NZ yet because of the time difference. At least that is what it reads like to me? I seriously doubt he'd be so callous and tasteless as to joke about so many dead people.

Status
Not open for further replies.