• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As has been stated already in this thread, there is every chance he was referring to the timezone difference and not making a shitty joke. You know that right?

Surely he should be given some kind of benefit of the doubt before the torch and pitchforks are brought out so hastily.

If it turns out he winds up apologising for making light of the situation, then yeah, go all out.
he's free to clarify on his own whenever he wants. after his iwata bullshit why does he deserve benefit of doubt

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
You people are going to have to explain why bringing up Pi day to a mass shooting would be relevant at all.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I don't think that's a joke by Pachter at all - I think he's trying to connect two things, these terrorists screaming out memes and it being Pi day.

How quick we are to just assume the worst without giving Pachter a chance to at least clarify.

Pewdiepie = Pi - maybe that's the connection he's seeing. I don't think it's a joke. Could be wrong.

Just to pre-empt any responses, I'm Muslim with ties to New Zealand.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he was making light of the attack. His tweet reads like he was referring to the 3/14 Pi day and then said it's probably not Pi day in NZ yet because of the time difference. At least that is what it reads like to me? I seriously doubt he'd be so callous and tasteless as to joke about so many dead people.
what the fuck does that have to do with patrick's tweet that he is directly responding to

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
he's free to clarify on his own whenever he wants. after his iwata bullshit why does he deserve benefit of doubt
Calling someone not so great right after their death was in really poor taste and thoughtless, but joking about more than 40 people being murdered is in a league of it's own. He's really not that much of a monster, despite what people may think about his whacky gaming predictions. Source: I meet him every year and his political and social views are very positive and inclusive. I just refuse to believe he'd stoop to this level and genuinely think his tweet meant that it wasn't 3/14 (pi day) in NZ due to the time difference.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
As has been stated already in this thread, there is every chance he was referring to the timezone difference and not making a shitty joke. You know that right?

Surely he should be given some kind of benefit of the doubt before the torch and pitchforks are brought out so hastily.

If it turns out he winds up apologising for making light of the situation, then yeah, go all out.
No I don't know. He is replying to someone talking about a mass shooting and he replies about Pi day.

Is he that clueless?

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calling someone not so great right after their death was in really poor taste and thoughtless, but joking about more than 40 people being murdered is in a league of it's own. He's really not that much of a monster, despite what people may think about his whacky gaming predictions. Source: I meet him every year and his political and social views are very positive and inclusive. I just refuse to believe he'd stoop to this level and genuinely think his tweet meant that it wasn't 3/14 (pi day) in NZ due to the time difference.
again, he's free to clarify

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
what the fuck does that have to do with patrick's tweet that he is directly responding to
He probably thought the pewdiepie reference patrick mentioned had something to do with pi day? That sounds way more credible to me than branding him as an asshole.
Yes, I really hope he does when he wakes up. I agree that it looks in poor taste as it is and he needs to clear up the misunderstanding and apologize. But I wish people would stop calling for his head like that.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Today is Pi Day. (Technically it was yesterday but run with it.)
  • This morning, PewDiePie tweeted to follow him because it's Pi Day.
  • The killer, before entering the mosque, said to follow PewDiePie.
  • His manifesto also talked about Fortnite and flossing on corpses and stuff.
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling.
Thank you. This summarizes exactly what I was trying to point out. I wish people would give the guy the benefit of the doubt, regardless of what they think about his off-the-rails gaming predictions. Yes, his Iwata comment was in very poor taste, but that doesn't mean he's going to go around joking about people getting murdered.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm glad the biggest defense right now for him is "well... i don't know what he means"
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.
needs more red yarn

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
This is how I read it as well. Seems like he was trying to add context to the event, further solidifying the Pewdiepie connection. I don't think he was trying to present some kind of joke.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
i'm glad the biggest defense right now for him is "well... i don't know what he means"
No, the biggest defense for him now is using common sense to decipher what he meant instead of automatically assuming he's a sociopath who tweets about murder victims. I'm sorry if any of his predictions about your favorite gaming console or whatever rustled your jimmies, but he's really not a monster.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
That seems to be what people are also dragging him for. Don't think anyone has explained what is supposedly the joke on that tweet. Not sure why people are reacting with anger to something they don't understand, seems like rather primitive reaction.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the biggest defense for him now is using common sense to decipher what he meant instead of automatically assuming he's a sociopath who tweets about murder victims. I'm sorry if any of his predictions about your favorite gaming console or whatever rustled your jimmies, but he's really not a monster.
patrick literally responded with 10 minutes. his optics- is his responsibility. he's his own brand, he knows that better than anyone.

i bash all 3 corporations here on the daily and get fanboys whining at me constantly, so fuck that

i also never called for his head, there's just a chance he said something extremely moronic as he does

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not gonna say that Patcher is a monster rather than just really dumb (which has been well established) but uh, dude should probably follow up on this sooner rather than later.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Lol at people in this thread who are 100% convinced Michael Pachter is some 4chan edgelord who shit posts on Twitter.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a middle aged securities analyst would intentionally make stupid jokes to make light of a recent tragedy. Is he 100% for sure innocent? No, but the amount of people on this board who are absolutely convinced that he's deliberately trolling is ridiculous.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's truly baffling that any person could interpret the tweet in literally any other context.

I can see how it could be interpreted as him making a shitty joke. But it could just as easily be him referring to the timezone difference (despite how basically irrelevant that is ultimately).

But the fact that it isn't very clear cut should surely buy him the time to clarify what he meant as opposed to the guilty until proven innocent route.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
You people are going to have to explain why bringing up Pi day to a mass shooting would be relevant at all.

If you think he was intentionally making a joke, then wouldn't you already have to understand the Pewdiepie and Pi day connection, because otherwise how could it be interpreted as a poor-taste pun?

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shit things get said sometimes, but I'm not gonna explode in outrage. If I did that with my friends over a once-off flub, I wouldn't have any friends.

Sinnick

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I just thought he meant for New Zealanders, 3/14 will now be most likely thought of as a day of tragedy - not Pi day.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
patrick literally responded with 10 minutes. his optics- is his responsibility

also, i bash all 3 corporations here on the daily and get fanboys whining at me constantly, so fuck that
Then if you don't have a personal grudge against him you should have more of a reason to give the dude a benefit of the doubt instead of making snide comments like "needs more red yarn" when people try to explain what his tweet meant. I know your pitchfork looks mighty appealing right about now, but maybe you can resist reaching for it till the guy at least wakes up and clarifies what he said, especially if the current explanations are nothing but red yarn to you.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what he is saying. Can someone help me understand?
It's either a joke about Pi day or speculation that the terrorists chose Pi day in reference to PewDiePie. as Pi sounds like Pie.
But as his own tweet acknowledges, it wasn't Pi day in New Zealand.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then if you don't have a personal grudge against him you should have more of a reason to give the dude a benefit of the doubt instead of making snide comments like "needs more red yarn" when people try to explain what his tweet meant. I know your pitchfork looks mighty appealing right about now, but maybe you can resist reaching for it till the guy at least wakes up and clarifies what he said, especially if the current explanations are nothing but red yarn to you.
is his bedtime 8pm?

if his intention was to make some bigger connection, then he absolutely 100% failed and that's on him. proof being that literally no one knows what he meant.

i don't even read it as an edge lord thing, i read it as a really poor taste dad joke

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, I am not going to engage with you any longer. You know what? Go ahead and continue calling for his head if it makes you feel better. Surely the evil financial analyst won't keep getting away with his malicious tweets with brave gatekeepers like you ensuring that they get what they deserve!

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
is his bedtime 8pm?

if his intention was to make some bigger connection, then he absolutely 100% failed and that's on him. proof being that literally no one knows what he meant.

This part I kind of get, but to be fair, I can totally see people with thousands upon thousands of followers turning Twitter notifications off because:

a) Social media isn't the center of their life
b) They want their phone battery to last more than 15 minutes
c) Maybe they don't even have Twitter installed on their phone and only use it on their PC?

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, I am not going to engage with you any longer. You know what? Go ahead and continue calling for his head if it makes you feel better. Surely the evil financial analyst won't keep getting away with his malicious tweets with brave gatekeepers like you ensuring that they get what they deserve!
where did i call for his head? i've just made fun of him. you're the one taking it personally because you meet with him once a year or whatever. i don't even know what calling for his head means, who does he even work for?

i will say it one last time. he is his own brand, he owns his tweets, he is free to clarify whenever the hell he wants. even if it turns out to be the best case scenario, it was communicated in a extremely poor way that has confused every single person and that's on him

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I get that people are angry but some of those responses on twitter (and here), you people and your pitchforks

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If only there were some examples in the past ofvpeople making a badly worded tweet, and then the Internet hate mob mobilising and ruining someone's life.

Thankfully this has never happened so we cannot learn from our mistakes.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Could a mod maybe add an explanation of Pi day and what Pacther meant (or MIGHT have meant if that makes some people feel better) to the OP so there is some context? Maybe that way at least a few may decide to hold off on reaching for their readily available pitchforks a tad bit longer. Honestly, dogpiling on people in this day and age is way too prevalent and that is fucking depressing to behold.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he's trying to connect dots and build on the reference to PewDiePie that is mentioned in Patrick's tweet. If you find that kind of speculation inappropriate at this time, then sure, but I don't see any joke or maliciousness here at all.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't interpret Pachters tweet as outwardly malicious; to me it looks like he was trying to make a connection that wasn't obvious and he did a poor job of illustrating it. But this forum feasts on any Pachter misstep so I'm not surprised by the reaction in this thread.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I've read this dumb tweet like 20 time and here's my conclusion.

He's not joking. He's actually thinking that the shooter intentionally did this on Pi day.

EDIT: Hey team, the shooter is treating his mass murder as a joke. It is not unreasonable to look for other "jokes" when analyzing his motivations. Yes, this is supremely fucked up.
OOH. I was trying to think of what the hell his tweet even meant.

It's not so much malicious as completely clueless and pointless and out of nowhere? Kind of like Pachter himself?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Thank you. Because trying to see the tweet as a joke seemed nonsensical to me. It would have been the most incoherent joke I've ever heard.

Your explanation is far more reasonable and makes far more logical sense for both the intent and meaning of the tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.