• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah poor rich insensitive white guy getting mobbed, but glad to have some of you guys come here to defend his image, doing god's work

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Tensions are obviously running high after a mass shooting but the only logical explanation I can come up with is that he was trying to (however poorly) connect the dots between Pewdiepie, Pi day and the killer.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
fucking this, jesus this whole forum is a tinderbox propped up on any excuse to run a crusade. if anything patrick klepicks response completely skews any perception to the tweet to the negative.
It's a little weird that you are more angry at people on here than at someone potentially joking about a mass murder. Do I think Pachter gets an inordinate amount of shit for some of the gaming related things he says? Sure. But this is hardly one those times, because he is either being intentionally malicious, or stupidly uncaring in throwing vaguely written speculation in response to a tweet asking people to not view a mass murder video. That was plea to humanity, not a opening for dumb speculative discussion.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think he meant it as a joke but it's still an idiotic response.

Idiotic seems a touch extreme. He was attempting to link Pi day to the Killer's "sub to PDP" line. Which he also acknowledges may be wrong based on timezones.

Again, I can see how it may be misconstrued as a shitty joke, but good lord the speed at which so many are inclined to take the negative line without any kind of thought or reasoning beforehand is kind of terrifying.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I mean, I don't read the Tweet and immediately think he's making a really in poor taste joke. If he is, that's awful. If he's not, depending on what he meant when he presumably clarifies - if the explanation is viable - I think there's a lot of people in the thread that should self reflect on why they assume the worst and publicly vilify people to the point of requesting black listing or the other avenues of expressing their outrage these days without wanting more concrete or reliable information before jumping to conclusions.

It's possible everybody that's calling him derogatory names is justified, Hell if he comes out and apologizes for a bad joke I'll be right there with the people who are already done with him and calling him out. It just seems so weird to go from zero to hundred with an ambiguous tweet that logically makes more sense that he's not evoking gallows humor in a public space within 24 hours of a tragedy. Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Maybe I'm weird but while I'll keep the pitchfork close, I think it's premature to pick it up.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
It's a little weird that you are more angry at people on here than at someone potentially joking about a mass murder. Do I think Pachter gets an inordinate amount of shit for some of the gaming related things he says? Sure. But this is hardly one those times, because he is either being intentionally malicious, or stupidly uncaring in throwing vaguely written speculation in response to a tweet asking people to not view a mass murder video. That was plea to humanity, not a opening for dumb speculative discussion.
Have you seen the sheer speed at which people get pitchforked around here? There is context behind his tweet and yes, I agree that it is unclear to some. But even when said context is constantly being repeated by some people, we still have some who'd rather rally the mob instead of entertaining the fact that MAYBE they misunderstood the guy. So I think "being angry" at people who want to stoke the flames of mob mentality is a pretty fucking appropriate response. Vilifying people is way too easy to do these days.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Pachter is the worst kind of clout chaser - feels like we will do or say whatever stupid thing to stay relevant or in headlines.

Dude is a Analyst - yet whenever he comes up here its always for some BS that can be perceived as trolling.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yikes at some of the responses here... It's been a really shitty day so far, but try to be more measured guys...

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Pachter is the worst excuse for an "analyst" out there. People often bet that the exact opposite thing he says will happen for a reason.

Why even bother giving him the benefit of the doubt? What has he done to earn that? He's always acted like an ass and this doesn't feel out of character at all for him.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Pi day a few days ago? I don't even get the comment.

That the day will be remembered for this horrible event instead? Like...yeah no shit?

What?

I'm just confused and some people saying the dude likes the bottle makes me think he's probably drunk.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This. He does nothing that contributes in anyway and creates drama.
Pachter is the worst kind of clout chaser - feels like we will do or say whatever stupid thing to stay relevant or in headlines.

Dude is a Analyst - yet whenever he comes up here its always for some BS that can be perceived as trolling.
Pachter is the worst excuse for an "analyst" out there. People often bet that the exact opposite thing he says will happen for a reason.

Why even bother giving him the benefit of the doubt? What has he done to earn that? He's always acted like an ass and this doesn't feel out of character at all for him.
Fuck this guy, I just blocked him on Twitter. Do not give this monster anymore attention.
WTF? What a sick person. I'm blocking this person.

Even after all the discussion in this thread we're still seeing these knee jerk reactions?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Makes me happy to see Patrick calling him out. Why do people listen to this guy anyway? Because he had a stupid video series on Game Trailers?

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, didn't come across as a joke or a snarky remark to me, but he linking the pi day to the original tweet mentioning pewdiepie. Not sure though

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It reads like speculation to me. I don't quite see how it can be read as a joke since there's no apparent attempt at humor. But even as speculation it's very tasteless and unnecessary.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the tweet was a reference to timezones.

Like that it literally wasn't Pi day anymore in New Zealand because they're like a day ahead of some countries. I mean was he even aware of the shooting at the time? I know at that time I sure wasn't.

I think some of you went into super over-reaction mode simply because you don't like that guy. Now if he apologizes that's a different story but right now I didn't think it was a reference to the shooting at all. Maybe it was I dunno but I tend to be slow to get my pitchfork.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever is a joke or not, is a very dumb comment in any case. At worst is a joke, at best he's trying to justify the killer mentioning PDP.

Either way is dumb as fuck.

I don't think he's justifying - simply explaining no? It comes across as a bit terse or blunt, but there doesn't seem to be any malice or attempt at humour some are seeing.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
  • Today is Pi Day. (Technically it was yesterday but run with it.)
  • This morning, PewDiePie tweeted to follow him because it's Pi Day.
  • The killer, before entering the mosque, said to follow PewDiePie.
  • His manifesto also talked about Fortnite and flossing on corpses and stuff.
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.
To me, the idea of Pachter pointing this nonsense out as his sole contribution to any discussion about the event is as equally baffling as it being a joke

Also, NZ doesn't use the USA date format so "Pi day" isn't even a thing. It was 14/03/19. What a load of shit.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can we report this to web bush? Like the idea this guy is a face of their company is a really bad look.

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell if he was joking or adding info to the tweet. It was actually Pi Day, which Patrick didn't point out and time zones could mean it wasn't anymore for New Zealand. Does anyone know if he responded or deleted?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Whatever is a joke or not, is a very dumb comment in any case. At worst is a joke, at best he's trying to justify the killer mentioning PDP.

Either way is dumb as fuck.

People react publicly constantly, about everything. They give their thoughts, theories, opinions, etc. every minute of every day. While I can agree I think it's not smart to put yourself in the position Pachter has put himself in where people without much thought and no introspection lash out and assume the worst, at the end of the day it seems more likely that like so many people he saw a connection between events and publicly stated what he thinks.

Like, I'm not a fan of Pachter, but the backlash to an assumption - one that I think is misguided - is not reasonable. And it's frustrating to see time and time again immediate and vitriolic rhetoric as a response to seemingly any story and a very stubborn response towards those that believe being hasty to judge isn't a good quality.

I won't single you or anybody out, but I don't think it's an unfair theory that people that jump to conclusions based on incomplete or ambiguous facts often continue the discussion from an emotionally charged position and refuse to see the other perspective, at least without often twisting the other perspective to still somewhat justify their response.

Maybe Pachter made a shitty joke, and if so then we can cry foul. Maybe he was drunk and said something, in which case we can both vocalize our disapproval of his comments while also hoping he seeks help. Maybe he was just stating the connections he saw with no malice meant, in which case his random opinion on said connections doesn't mean much but certainly doesn't warrant outrage. I think it's wrong to immediately and strongly pile on the guy based off of that tweet, and I don't think it comes from a place of good faith.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I've read this dumb tweet like 20 time and here's my conclusion.

He's not joking. He's actually thinking that the shooter intentionally did this on Pi day.

EDIT: Hey team, the shooter is treating his mass murder as a joke. It is not unreasonable to look for other "jokes" when analyzing his motivations. Yes, this is supremely fucked up.
That's how I read it as well. That being said, this guy has been an industry joke for years.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how stupid that is. He's second only to Candace Owens in terms of having the worst response to last night.

It's hard to tell if he was joking or adding info to the tweet. It was actually Pi Day, which Patrick didn't point out and time zones could mean it wasn't anymore for New Zealand. Does anyone know if he responded or deleted?

It's still up! Original tweet is in the OP. This is still up too.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Wow...49 dead and their blood is probably still damp in the floors of the mosque and he thinks it an appropriate time to joke

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how stupid that is. He's second only to Candace Owens in terms of having the worst response to last night.

It's still up! Original tweet is in the OP. This is still up too.

Good response by Klepek.

I'm just entering this thread now and can not believe such a tweet even made it past Pachter's own internal filter process from his brain to his fingers. Even if you can twist rational thought into a pretzel to find the attempt at levity or humor he was attempting to instill in a tragic situation, then even easier you can articulate how utterly terrible a response it was on it's face.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good response by Klepek.

I'm just entering this thread now and can not believe such a tweet even made it past Pachter's own internal filter process from his brain to his fingers. Even if you can twist rational thought into a pretzel to find the attempt at levity or humor he was attempting to instill in a tragic situation, then even easier you can articulate how utterly terrible a response it was on it's face.
Yup. No response, no defense, still up. And with that Klepek tweet it's not like he doesn't know.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, NZ doesn't use the USA date format so "Pi day" isn't even a thing. It was 14/03/19. What a load of shit.
Pi Day is very much a thing here in Australia and New Zealand. Star Wars Day is also a thing even though it uses the American MM/DD format of MAY 04. My brother works at a school, and they baked pies yesterday. He bought some apple pies home. PewDiePie is a Swede who lives in the UK, and he knows what Pi Day is.

So no, it is not a "load of shit".

Status
Not open for further replies.