• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I think what he's trying to say is that the day was not chosen at random, that the shooter chose that day because it was Pie Day, Pewdiepie day for fans. But of course that kind speculation is out of place, it was not the moment.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It was planned, the mosque had people inside
It was Pi Day for PDP at least so it could be the terrorist planned it like this or just coincidence since it was the 15th in NZ (doubting the coincidence myself seeing what the terrorists were reportedly shouting)
Patcher is pointing this out, not sure why people think it's a joke.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, using comedy at the expense of a human tragedy, thats not only distasteful it needs some action against him because its this form of dismissive commentary of lives that undermine the seriousness and hatred against victims. Screw him.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, using comedy at the expense of a human tragedy, thats not only distasteful it needs some action against him because its this form of dismissive commentary of lives that undermine the seriousness and hatred against victims. Screw him.
Tell me where is the intended comedy? What is the punchline to that Tweet? I'm still clueless about that.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, im coming around to this and i was initially outraged; i think he was trying to point out the connection, not joke

This seems obvious, now that I understand all of the factors that go into it.

I honestly don't see a problem with this, if that's the case? Appart from poor timing, maybe, but even then.

Was he wrong to point out the connection, assuming it wasn't an attempt at humour?

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I don't think this was a joke, but he should apologize for speculating this close to the tragedy. It's not useful, and the way he tosses it out there without even researching what day it is in NZ shows a lack of consideration and care that's pretty shitty on his part.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
This seems obvious, now that I understand all of the factors that go into it.

I honestly don't see a problem with this, if that's the case? Appart from poor timing, maybe, but even then.

Was he wrong to point out the connection, assuming it wasn't an attempt at humour?

Well, given the circumstances he should have tried to express himself better. It's a very vague tweet. Also, it was a moment for condemnation, not for speculation.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Well, given the circumstances he should have tried to express himself better. It's a very vague tweet. Also, it was a moment for condemnation, not for speculation.

Yes I agree, after first reading it I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, it just appeared immediatelly insensitive.

It was malformed at the least.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like the guy but this seems like a misunderstanding. I'm guessing he was pointing out the shooter also might have picked that day for a reason along with the pewdiepie reference.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem like a joke.It does seem like he is making the connection between PewDie and the shooter.
Maybe he should've clarified by now, but it doesn't read like a joke in my opinion.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Pachter doing a "How do you do, fellow kids" joke in the most reprehensible and despicable way possible.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't see a joke. If he isn't 75% of this thread is being ridiculously mean-spirited. Get the facts first.

And what's that always white men posts smh??

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was a joke, but he should apologize for speculating this close to the tragedy. It's not useful, and the way he tosses it out there without even researching what day it is in NZ shows a lack of consideration and care that's pretty shitty on his part.

People speculate al the time in the wake of these kinds of tragedies. People did it specifically with the date for 9/11 and Columbine. If someone had posted "I wonder if the Pew Die Pie stuff e has anything to do with Pi day" in the main thread for this they'd probably just be corrected and everyone would have moved on. This honestly feels like it's blowing up here because it's Pachter and so many dislike him already.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Joking or not, I don't think this situation is the type to make short, vague remarks devoid of a clear thought process. You don't need to make a clever tweet about everything, especially not this.

It's completely on him that this can be interpreted as a joke. And that's the problem.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
People speculate al the time in the wake of these kinds of tragedies. People did it specifically with the date for 9/11 and Columbine. If someone had posted "I wonder if the Pew Die Pie stuff e has anything to do with Pi day" in the main thread for this they'd probably just be corrected and everyone would have moved on. This honestly feels like it's blowing up here because it's Pachter and so many dislike him already.
Basically this. And I say this as someone who really dislikes the guy.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Joke or speculation, you'd think a man in his position would have a strong enough grasp of time zones to not write the tweet at all.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018

To be clear, I don't think he's unique, and I don't think this is some massively horrible thing. I think we all speculate privately about motives when something like this happens. I just think that speculating publicly and doing so without doing some basic research on the day is kind of shitty, can lead to false information being spread around, and is generally not helpful. I'm not suggesting this should have some huge impact on his life, but an apology for it would be a good idea, IMO.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck him. What a god damn asshole...

He also, upon learning Iwata died, made an insensitive tweet making it all about him and how much he disliked Iwata.

He's always been up his own ass.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
It might be a joke (a very bad one) or it might be speculation.
One thing is for sure, it's a terrible tweet because it leaves room for interpretation.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm so confused by the responses in this thread. It's clearly not a joke he's making. It's a possible connection that the terrorists chose this day because it's pi day and they love pewdiepie.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I don't think he's unique, and I don't think this is some massively horrible thing. I think we all speculate privately about motives when something like this happens. I just think that speculating publicly and doing so without doing some basic research on the day is kind of shitty, can lead to false information being spread around, and is generally not helpful. I'm not suggesting this should have some huge impact on his life, but an apology for it would be a good idea, IMO.

I agree to an extent. Ive always thought one of the problems with widespread platforms like twitter is the sense that people have to have an opinion on everything. For some, Twitter is sort of just the new water cooler. That seems to be what happened here. Unless Pachter comes out and confirms that it was indeed some really terrible joke, at worst, it's misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.