• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So those of us calling him out for his tasteless and insensitive joke weren't knee-jerking, this man is just ignorant and a typical old, out of touch white guy. Ignored.

Oh, and the Iwata thing too. Michael is vile and I hope people continue to check him on his shit.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What are the follow up tweets? Twitter is a shit hole to try and navigate through.
O23cuTR.jpg

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit - nevermind, seems like he was trying to make a joke??? Wtf. My point about bandwagon hate still stands though. At the start of the thread it doesn't seem that it was clear at all if it was a joke or not.
------------
I THINK based on his tweet that he is trying to answer a question he thinks is being raised by Patrick Klepek - as in why is there a reference to PewDiePie - Prachter answers that it's Pi day.

I also think people are way to quick to grab their pitchforks and torches. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm reading the tweets wrong but to me it just seems like Prachter is trying to point out a reason as to why PewDiePi would have been mentioned. I don't take his tweet as a joke or making light of anything.

GBknight

Oct 28, 2017
I've always wanted him out of the industry but not like this. Guess he just has 0 common sense about anything.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edit - nevermind, seems like he was trying to make a joke??? Wtf. My point about bandwagon hate still stands though. At the start of the thread it doesn't seem that it was clear at all if it was a joke or not.
Benefit of the doubt isn't always warranted. Often, it can be used as a means to defend reprehensible acts, in fact.

Oct 27, 2017

I'll wait patiently for all those that defended this guy claiming it was totally and obviously not a joke to come and apologize. They were in the "joke", it seems.i

Specially that dude that was saying that everything he said was FACT. How are you going to explain this?

You lied about multiple things that I said and then used those lies to justify your thesis that i think that "my opinions are facts."

You accused me of supporting Pewdiepie and saying that he did nothing wrong. I said nothing of the sort and in reality I actually think that PDP is a piece of trash. This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand though, just like your previous post.

You also accused me of saying "Nobody knows nothing but me", when i never said anything even close to that. What i did say (before I edited it out) was that the person I was replying to "didn't know what they are talking about". This is completely different to what you have accused me of saying. The person in question thought that Pachter made up 'Pi day' as a pun. I explained why this is untrue. Honestly i stand by what i said anyway, i simply edited it out because it was a bit rude.

You are making up lies and baseless accusations, and so I'm done arguing with you.

Everything you said and presented as fact in this thread has been debunked. You are right, though, in one thing: you are done "arguing" with me.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.. what does his skin color matter?
Because white guys are prone to dismissive commentary due to never being the target of discrimination. Say what you want, white guys have never been disproportionately bigoted against. It's a flippant remark made from a place of privilege and as a white guy im comfortable in calling that out.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait patiently for all those that defended this guy claiming it was totally and obviously not a joke to come and apologize. They were in the "joke", it seems.

Specially that dude that was saying that everything he said was FACT. How are you going to explain this?

Oh you know these dudes won't come back and admit they were wrong. It doesn't work that way. They come into threads and like to quote a ton of posts and trying to call someone out with shade, yet when the truth comes out, they're long gone.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait patiently for all those that defended this guy claiming it was totally and obviously not a joke to come and apologize. They were in the "joke", it seems.
Pachter hasn't said that it was a joke, though. This is the problem with writing a potentially ambiguous tweet and then following it with a genuinely ambiguous apology that doesn't clarify what you meant by said tweet.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is high time to start actually voiding out any threads involving Pachter.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pachter hasn't said that it was a joke, though. This is the problem with writing a potentially ambiguous tweet and then following it with a genuinely ambiguous apology that doesn't clarify what you meant by said tweet.
Do you not think that, if he was genuinely apologizing for a misunderstanding, he would try to clarify what he originally meant to say? And now if he comes out with that justification after hours of deliberation and seeing people suggesting as much, people with this thought will be able to go "See?" and dismiss the original tweet further.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh come the fuck on. You're ignorant.

Joke, comment, rambling. It was offensive and insensitive. Would you like it if your loved ones died because of a mass shooting spree and someone made similar remarks about the event? There's no question as to Pachter being a complete asshole in this situation, don't play fucking semantics.

Last edited:

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Benefit of the doubt isn't always warranted. Often, it can be used as a means to defend reprehensible acts, in fact.

I get that, but it also means that we don't have to instantly condemn someone for something when things are still unclear. Just talking generally here. It seems Pachter came out and said it was a joke which is just disgusting.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is high time to start actually voiding out any threads involving Pachter.

He should have been ignored here long ago for his almost perfect failure rate of gaming predictions. But if that dumbass tweet of his causes this to happen, then so be it.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling, inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding race, numerous severe infractions
Because white guys are prone to dismissive commentary due to never being the target of discrimination. Say what you want, white guys have never been disproportionately bigoted against. It's a flippant remark made from a place of privilege and as a white guy im comfortable in calling that out.

Weird. Sounds like discrimination

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible response, though. It completely fails to address the point raised. Tries to frame a completely benign observation as something negative.

My whole post you chose not to quote still stands. Even moreso now that Pachter walked his comment back and deleted. Seems you may have failed to properly frame this one?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you not think that, if he was genuinely apologizing for a misunderstanding, he would try to clarify what he originally meant to say?
Trying to explain your way out of a social media situation can do more harm than good sometimes. His reaction strikes me as coming back to Twitter, seeing the reaction, and taking the simplest way out. Delete the tweet, and apologise for offending without making any effort to explain what he meant by it.
Joke, comment, rambling. It was offensive and insensitive. Would you like it if your loved ones died because of a mass shooting spree and someone made similar remarks about the event?.
I was born in Christchurch. Still have family there. If members of my family died in such a shooting, I would be very upset if someone were making a joke at their expense. If Pachter was indeed making a joke, that was a terrible and deeply offensive thing to do. However, the original tweet far more convincingly reads as an observation drawing a connection between the date of the attack and the attacker's affinity for PDP as well as internet culture in general. That's not offensive. It's an innocent observation, and one I personally think was 100% intended by the killer.

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. The entire affair is clearly manipulative.

Of course, some people feel that during times of tragedy, such analysis is inappropriate. It serves to draw attention to the perpetrators. To their little mind games. (Make no mistake -- the killer's manifesto is designed to lure media attention, generate headlines. It's a sick attention grab.) There is an argument that the perpetrators do not deserve the fame of infamy. That people's attention should be focused on those that died, and those that lived. Which is not unreasonable. All too often monsters become celebrities while the innocent people they hurt are quickly forgotten.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
------------
I THINK based on his tweet that he is trying to answer a question he thinks is being raised by Patrick Klepek - as in why is there a reference to PewDiePie - Prachter answers that it's Pi day.

I also think people are way to quick to grab their pitchforks and torches. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe I'm reading the tweets wrong but to me it just seems like Prachter is trying to point out a reason as to why PewDiePi would have been mentioned. I don't take his tweet as a joke or making light of anything.

Ah yes subscribe to PiDay makes sense.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

It wasn't a joke, it doesn't make any sense as a joke. It was speculation completely out of place. And he's apologizing for that.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a joke, it doesn't make any sense as a joke. It was speculation completely out of place. And he's apologizing for that.
While that is very true, the slim possibility that it was a tasteless joke leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Some clarification would be nice, because the line between potentially premature speculation and a morbid joke is a wide one.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's already been established that Pachter is statistically worse at his job that a coin flip, and the Iwata comment was a bad look for him but the overly forgiving could have written it off as "everyone says an asshole thing now and then", but yeah, this is disgusting and there's not way I can see him having an ounce of credibility going forward.

Blacklist this idiot.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I bet he feels dumb for... apparently seeking out a tweet about a tragedy and making a joke about it? Like... wtf was he thinking and why did he think he even needed to reply to that tweet in the first place? This is bafflingly stupid, I cant even fathom what his thought process was here

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Wow okay, he meant it as a joke.

That's pretty terrible, then.

And I'm confused again, because I don't understand how that even is a joke?

When I thought he was just trying to point out the connection, it at least made some sense what his intention was.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
What an odd tweet. Feels like something a dumb 8 year old would say to try to sound clever.

"Guys did u notice itz pi day on day of shooting...!? derp"

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
It's better to just keep your mouth shut most of your life. Not only will you avoid issues such as Patchers but you will learn oh so much about the world and the people around you.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
  • Today is Pi Day. (Technically it was yesterday but run with it.)
  • This morning, PewDiePie tweeted to follow him because it's Pi Day.
  • The killer, before entering the mosque, said to follow PewDiePie.
  • His manifesto also talked about Fortnite and flossing on corpses and stuff.
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.

If you look at his past timeline, his tweet is a clear continuation of him mocking the concept of Pi day.

sss.png

Deleted member 26900

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • Today is Pi Day. (Technically it was yesterday but run with it.)
  • This morning, PewDiePie tweeted to follow him because it's Pi Day.
  • The killer, before entering the mosque, said to follow PewDiePie.
  • His manifesto also talked about Fortnite and flossing on corpses and stuff.
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.

Also how I read it. Maybe he could have phrased it better, but I never saw the tweet as a joke; however, if it was a joke...then, what the fuck dude.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also how I read it. Maybe he could have phrased it better, but I never saw the tweet as a joke; however, if it was a joke...then, what the fuck dude.
100% agreed. To be honest, maybe I gave the man too much credit. I assumed that the tweet had to make some kind of sense. It simply made no sense whatsoever as a joke. If it was a joke, what a terrible moment to make a joke. This is a tragedy on par with the Christchurch earthquakes. People are in mourning.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like a joke. Where are we getting that?

It seems like he is legit saying that it is Pi day, which explains the Pewdiepie reference and that it might not be Pi day anymore in NZ because of the timezones.

Am I missing something?
Yeah, I didn't even know about Pi Day, so after reading a bit of the first page I think he could be saying that as to why the shooter may have picked to do it that day. Seeing he did the darn annoying "subscribe to Pewdiepie" thing which is some stupid campaign to get the guy that already has way too many subs, because T-Series is probably above him in subs. T-Series being a Indian or such channel. This whole subscribe to Pewdiepie thing needs to stop, the internet is crazy, and it made me sub to T-Series for a bit out of spite.

Just wondering why he tweeted what he tweeted, looking for the error in his tweet, and thinking about the motivations of the shooter. Also I never know what timezone Australia is, other than it's the very early in time compared to a lot of the other timezones (the guy questioning if it was still the 14th in Australia).

Status
Not open for further replies.