• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
March 14, which is written as 3/14 in the US. It's just a funny alignment of how the date looks. like Mar10 day or May the 4th. I don't understand why Pachter or anyone thinks it's worth mocking.

Quick edit: by the above, I mean the people that use it to make/eat pies, or make math jokes. Obviously PDP trying to stick his own branding on it is bad like everything else he does.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks

If it was a joke, he's a dumbass.
Seems like he's just covering or trying to prevent any problems, joke or not. Maybe saying "It's Pi Day" in the circumstance instead of "Maybe the shooter did it today and mentioned Pewdiepie because it's Pi Day, I'm not sure if it was Pi Day in Australia at the time though", was the mistake if he wasn't saying it as a joke.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow okay, he meant it as a joke.

That's pretty terrible, then.

And I'm confused again, because I don't understand how that even is a joke?

When I thought he was just trying to point out the connection, it at least made some sense what his intention was.
He didn't say he meant it as a joke. He didn't actually say much of anything in his apology. Pretty weak.

3.14 is Pi day apparently. I saw it on the news prior to this event and for a second thought they meant pie day.

Aaron Wright

Oct 18, 2018
What this says to me is Michael Pachter pays very very close attention to what Pewdiepie and other streamers like him think and say. They are becoming industry leaders. Pachter is interested in video games purely to make money. What he knows, what pewdiepie know, and what THQ Nordic all know is a very large swath of the gaming public is extremely right wing white men with neo-Nazi tendancies. The industry knows this, has the market data, and tries to awkwardly woo this audience without setting off any alarm bells.
The video game industry and every gamer needs to look at themselves in the mirror and wonder how much of this hatred and violence is a part of each of us.

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
What he knows, what pewdiepie know, and what THQ Nordic all know is a very large swath of the gaming public is extremely right wing white men with neo-Nazi tendancies.
Is that actually true? If you compare ERA to GAF for example it seems like this Nazi shit is not dominating at all. Also it doesn't seem to be very gaming related, but rather influenced by conservative media... Trump and Brexit have very little to do with video games...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Is that actually true? If you compare ERA to GAF for example it seems like this Nazi shit is not dominating at all. Also it doesn't seem to be very gaming related, but rather influenced by conservative media... Trump and Brexit have very little to do with video games...
YouTube and Twitch do though and both are populated with hundreds of channels that give Fox News a run for their money in regards to stoking fear of minorities and veneration of white supremacy. YT in particular makes it easy to recruit and galvanize bigots through its broken algorithm and policies. There are many gaming channels that split time between let's plays, reviews, walkthroughs and the admonishment of feminism or civil rights or homosexual and trans acceptance. Gamers who reach out to audiences of thousands and more and millions all together.

Ugh! I forgot this was a thing lol

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I saw that last night and it was the most mouth-agape reaction I've had to a tweet in a while. I don't know if he was just unaware of the severity of what Patrick was tweeting about, or just has a really warped sense of humor, or what. He's pretty actively made clear he's not any sort of right-wing shitstain over the years, but fucking yikes.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
he can read a room about as good as he can read the video game industry. is this the final nail in the coffin before we de-platform this dunce?

firstromario

Alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
YouTube and Twitch do though and both are populated with hundreds of channels that give Fox News a run for their money in regards to stoking fear of minorities and veneration of white supremacy. YT in particular makes it easy to recruit and galvanize bigots through its broken algorithm and policies. There are many gaming channels that split time between let's plays, reviews, walkthroughs and the admonishment of feminism or civil rights or homosexual and trans acceptance. Gamers who reach out to audiences of thousands and more and millions all together.

Ugh! I forgot this was a thing lol
I have a feeling barely any of these people vote. I mean young people voted overwhelmingly against Trump and Brexit.

Nov 4, 2017
Even if you had the cleverest, wittiest joke ever written... How is it even appropriate to share in situation like this, like it's some sense of duty to lighten the mood so to speak? Shambolic-ally inappropriate.

Be interesting to know how insensitive he'd find it if someone else made a joke at the expense of a terrible situation someone he cared about was trapped in.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Yikes. I defended him at first because I didn't think it was a joke. But now, I guess not. Oops.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I see he deleted it this morning.. the biggest surprise to me was just that he didn't come out and say something else after he was called out about it. He left the tweet up for so long that I thought he'd say something like maybe the guy was referencing Pi Day and not PewdiPie (or however his name is spelled). He acknowledges it was offensive in the replies he's made this morning, so it would probably be better to at least address it in some form or another beyond that. Either a good ol apology video or just a general apologetic tweet.

As it stands now, I think this scenario is probably the worst way to handle it. I guess we shall see.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Assuming this might lead to his own undoing, why is it that one tweet (as dumb as it was), would/could unravel this whole guys career, yet we have a president in the White House who has made multiple racist, ill timed, offensive, sexist, and derogatory tweets; yet of seemingly no consequence?

What gives? Not meant to derail thread, just confused why pitchforks come out for one, but not the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Even after all the discussion in this thread we're still seeing these knee jerk reactions?

Imagine being sad enough to quote so many people, and for whatever reason, defend a terrible tweet like this when so many people died in this tragedy and the person who made the tweet deleted it and apologized, leaving only you to look like an even bigger fool for defending it in the first place.

It's impressively sad and pathetic.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being sad enough to quote so many people, and for whatever reason, defend a terrible tweet like this when so many people died in this tragedy and the person who made the tweet deleted it and apologized, leaving only you to look like an even bigger fool for defending it in the first place.

Drag ha. Why go through all that trouble to defend Pachter, especially in this situation? People are not subtle here.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeap. You'd expect his defense force to take the L and save some face, but nope.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Assuming this might lead to his own undoing, why is it that one tweet (as dumb as it was), would/could unravel this whole guys career, yet we have a president in the White House who has made multiple racist, ill timed, offensive, sexist, and derogatory tweets; yet of seemingly no consequence?

What gives? Not meant to derail thread, just confused why pitchforks come out for one, but not the other.
Are you comparing Michael Pachter to literally one of if not the most powerful person on the planet?

Way more people are way more angry and putting way more energy into fighting Trump, it's just that, you know, he's the president of the United States of America. A little harder to have him face consequences than it is for Michael Pachter.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He took it down and apologized at least. Though the internet never forgets and has a hard time forgiving.

Aug 29, 2018
Ban Pachter from this forum. What an insensitive prick. It's one thing to make sensationalist headlines about video games that are often wrong and get console Warriors in an uproar, it's another to be this insensitive to a mass shooting.
Honestly it just seems like he is thinking out loud in a not considerate but also not bad way

Not sure why people think he was joking. Doesnt come off as as joke. Internet hive mind can ruin lives that dont deserve it

His reputation as a shmuck is still there in my mind but this just doesn't seem like the thing to guillotine someone over. I know the internet likes to be outraged, same with era, but it makes us look bad

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Today is Pi Day. (Technically it was yesterday but run with it.)
  • This morning, PewDiePie tweeted to follow him because it's Pi Day.
  • The killer, before entering the mosque, said to follow PewDiePie.
  • His manifesto also talked about Fortnite and flossing on corpses and stuff.
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.
I was going to post something similar like Pachter did yesterday in the main topic as things were developing, around the time when the video snippet was posted about him saying subscribe to PDP. I was trying to point out that its Pie day and maybe thats why the shooter chose this exact day, but ended up not submitting the post cause people might take it as a joke or baseless speculation.
So yeah I think Pachter was just thinking out loud pointing out that the shooter might have chosen this day because of that

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Was this meant to be a joke?

I thought this would be something super offensive cause there's 10 pages but I don't even know what it meant.

Did he clarify what the hell he was talking about?

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty pathetic apology given the circumstances. I regret offering any consideration to his comments.

I hope he thinks it over and offers something more appropriate in way of explanation and apology.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
  • The tweet Pachter is responding to mentions that the video's killer talks about PewDiePie.
  • Patchter remarks that today is Pi Day. (Any savvy person would click that there's a strong chance this deranged killer chose this particular date for the attack as some kind of sick homage to PewDiePie. After all, there's already an established connection between the day, PewDiePie, and the killer's affinity for internet culture.) However, Patchter reflects that it probably isn't Pi Day anymore in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. (Not that this necessarily matters since the killer seems obsessed with American politics.)
That anyone could interpret this observation as a "joke" is mind-boggling. There's nothing joking in its tone. It's not Pi Day in New Zealand anymore. It's not Pi Day here in Australia, either. But it was yesterday, and it was in America when the tweet was written.
Thank you for typing this out. This context makes me think Pachter's tweet was just poorly worded. I don't think he was trying to make a shitty joke or anything.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Ok I get it now thanks.

I have no clue why people were calling for a ban over the original tweet. I had no clue what the hell he meant and don't know how anyone else could assume it was a joke cause it just didn't seem like one.

And I don't like Pachter at all and think his predictions suck but that has nothing to do with this topic.

I don't think him deleting his tweets means it was a joke either. He seemed to just be speculating out loud and it wasn't the right time or place for it..

Doesn't matter. I really don't want to get into defending someone when I don't know exactly what they meant and i don't particularly care for them. I'm out this thread

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for typing this out. This context makes me think Pachter's tweet was just poorly worded. I don't think he was trying to make a shitty joke or anything.
Ok I get it now thanks.

I have no clue why people were calling for a ban over the original tweet. I had no clue what the hell he meant and don't know how anyone else could assume it was a joke cause it just didn't seem like one.

And I don't like Pachter at all and think his predictions suck but that has nothing to do with this topic.
There's no threadmark or update to the OP, so I get that this is what's being seen and quoted. But Pachter has since deleted the original tweet and made responses apologizing for its poor taste.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at his past timeline, his tweet is a clear continuation of him mocking the concept of Pi day.

sss.png

Yeah, this is the context in which it becomes a joke or flippant remark. Hadn't noticed that before.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
wait, i saw that and assumed he didnt watch the video and suggested maybe people misheard the guy say pi day, not pewdiepie?
if not...man, pachter what are you doing

edit: just saw his apology tweets, which seem to indicate it was a joke. jesus christ

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he should be banned on this forum. His analysis is shit but his "joke" was insensitive and just shit. Fuck him.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you know these dudes won't come back and admit they were wrong. It doesn't work that way. They come into threads and like to quote a ton of posts and trying to call someone out with shade, yet when the truth comes out, they're long gone.

Here's one of "these dudes", and it still doesn't come off as a joke to me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As far as his tweets, it looks like someone apologizing for making incentive remarks and offending people.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Honestly it just seems like he is thinking out loud in a not considerate but also not bad way

Not sure why people think he was joking. Doesnt come off as as joke. Internet hive mind can ruin lives that dont deserve it

His reputation as a shmuck is still there in my mind but this just doesn't seem like the thing to guillotine someone over. I know the internet likes to be outraged, same with era, but it makes us look bad
What the fuck are you talking about?

He made an offensive topical joke relating to a mass shooting. There is no other way to spin this or move goalposts over.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Was this meant to be a joke?

I thought this would be something super offensive cause there's 10 pages but I don't even know what it meant.

Did he clarify what the hell he was talking about?

I'm scratching my head on this one, too. What is the connection between Pi Day and PewDiePie/the shooting?

Obviously agree that this whole topic is not the place for any kind of joke or snarky tweet, but I can't even tell what the joke/tweet is saying...

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What's the punchline? I'm still out of the loop.
I'm scratching my head on this one, too. What is the connection between Pi Day and PewDiePie/the shooting?

Obviously agree that this whole topic is not the place for any kind of joke or snarky tweet, but I can't even tell what the joke/tweet is saying...
It's here

My understanding is that for "pi day," people were going around saying "subscribe to pewdiepie!"
The NZ shooter said the same thing before he started shooting. So this is Pachter's joke.
The tweet he replied to referenced PewDiePie. He was riffing off of that with a Pi Day joke, then pointing out that it might not be Pi Day anymore in New Zealand because New Zealand is in a different time zone.

....yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.