• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Was this meant to be a joke?

I thought this would be something super offensive cause there's 10 pages but I don't even know what it meant.

Did he clarify what the hell he was talking about?
Doubtful it was intended as a joke. But ruminating on the meaning of a demented terrorist's message while his victims still lay dying is just not a good look.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so hung up on if it's a joke or not, it was a crude and insensitive comment linking Pew and the NZ shootings. He deleted it and apologized because of what he said. He talked shit and should own up to it and there really should be no defense for it.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Assuming this might lead to his own undoing, why is it that one tweet (as dumb as it was), would/could unravel this whole guys career, yet we have a president in the White House who has made multiple racist, ill timed, offensive, sexist, and derogatory tweets; yet of seemingly no consequence?

What gives? Not meant to derail thread, just confused why pitchforks come out for one, but not the other.

Do you really think that trumps tweets have no consequence? In Latin America, this guy is hated as devil. Just because you don't see the consequences right now, be sure that they exist.

Aug 29, 2018
What the fuck are you talking about?

He made an offensive topical joke relating to a mass shooting. There is no other way to spin this or move goalposts over.
Yes there is. Because clearly to many of us it doesn't seem like a joke. Pewdiepie supporters talk about supporting pewdiepie on pi (or pie) day, he made the observation it was pi day. So maybe think before you slander someone and think they deserve their life ruined. An insensitive observation isnt necessarily a joke

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
What's the joke he is trying to make? I can take he is being a jackass but i just don't get the joke, can someone explain it to me what he is inferring?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
So apparently he's apologized but where's the confirmation it was a joke? What was the supposed joke? Him apologizing doesn't necessarily confirm it was a joke.

Where is the apology? I'm on his Twitter and I see nothing. And noone has linked his apology? Really?

"Defense force"? I don't even fucking like the guy.

But I'm also not gonna jump on comments I don't even understand and go all OFFENSIVE JOKE WTF when I don't even know if it's a joke or not.

Update: Pachter apologizes

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Where is the apology? I'm on his Twitter and I see nothing. And noone has linked his apology? Really?
He apologized in the same Twitter thread his original tweet was in. (Or so I assume, don't really know how Twitter works exactly)
O23cuTR.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it was intended as a joke. And I think it's clear, but I'm not going to insist that people who disagree with me are wrong or evil. But anyone expecting him to admit it was a joke are in for a long wait, because if it was in fact a joke, he should (and would) get fired. One reading of what he said makes him tone deaf. The other makes him pure evil.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
da fuq

there some connection between pi day and pewdiepie now?

seriously............can i not have some normal ass day ruined by some fuckwad on the internet?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I have no idea if Pachter was trying to make a joke or not but I don't see why we'd be giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who's supposed to have made a name for himself on his writing and analysis. Fucking that up is as close to "motherfucker you had one job" territory as it gets

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
If not an outright ban, can we at least give him a timeout for like a year or something? I mean, enough is enough and I grow tired of seeing this kind of shite pop up up everywhere and then be excused by a "it was just for the lulz, come on now".

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Don't Australians write the date like UK? As in day before month? 14-3 doesn't make much sense as an implied intention for Pi day as an 3-14.

Anyway, the comment makes no sense for me and pretty insensitive and just out of his ass. Pretty bad timing.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Pachter is always quoted around the internet and I'm yet to hear an insightful gaming industry analysis from him. He won't be missed. Just go away, Pachter.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have no idea if Pachter was trying to make a joke or not but I don't see why we'd be giving the benefit of the doubt to someone who's supposed to have made a name for himself on his writing and analysis. Fucking that up is as close to "motherfucker you had one job" territory as it gets
This is the same guy who posted this after Iwata's passing:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/...to-satoru-iwata-as-the-late-and-not-so-great/

On the latest episode of Michael Pachter's Pachter Factor series on YouTube, he referred to Satoru Iwata as "the late and not so great."

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Except people infer meaning behind terror attacks all the time? People around the world were speculating immediately

It was his only tweet about the attacks. For someone who is supposed to be progressive you would think his first thought would be to tweet sadness for the victims and the families affected and anger at those that carried out the attacks instead of dumb speculation...

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just for people arriving late, Pachter removed the Tweet, and replied to Klepek (who he was originally replying to and who had called him out directly) stating that he was wrong, apologized, and had now deleted the Tweet. Pachter kept that apology short and unequivocal, and I think he handled it as well as could be.

Oct 27, 2017
They were still likely ruminatibg as to the reasoning, motivation, targets, and timing of the attack. Pachter's speculation is dumb, but I don't see how it is different.
And to you that's the same as wondering about the difference between pewdiepie and Pi day? It was a stupid tangent to go on. He admitted that. Let's take him at his word that he also understands that it was stupid.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well "after" in a sense that Iwata died well over a year ago before that episode. How long should people wait before they can be critical of people who have died?
Iwata was always great. He took over Nintendo during the Gamecube/GBA era (2002) and turned that company around with the Wii/DS and helped lead what eventually became the Switch. He had one dud under him (Wii U) and suddenly he's not so great? It was an unnecessarily jab that had no basis on facts. He clearly has prejudices towards people, is tone deaf, and insensitive. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well "after" in a sense that Iwata died well over a year ago before that episode. How long should people wait before they can be critical of people who have died?

Of course you can be critical about someone's work after they have died. "Late and not so great" is an extremely dumb and insensitive way of going about it. A trend with him...

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Man....... I really used to like Pachter when he would guest on some of the Game Trailers shows....... but this is fucking callous and inexcusable. Shame on you and good on Klepek for setting you straight

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Imagine being sad enough to quote so many people, and for whatever reason, defend a terrible tweet like this when so many people died in this tragedy and the person who made the tweet deleted it and apologized, leaving only you to look like an even bigger fool for defending it in the first place.

It's impressively sad and pathetic.

Get over yourself.

All I had said from the start was at least give the guy a chance to clarify what he had said before calling for his head.

God forbid someone have a different opinion to the lynch mob. Or did you alsoconveniently ignore all my other posts in the thread?

Are we sure he wasn't referring to the actual time?

Remember in New Zealand/Australia we are quite a bit ahead of America timezone wise.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

As has been stated already in this thread, there is every chance he was referring to the timezone difference and not making a shitty joke. You know that right?

Surely he should be given some kind of benefit of the doubt before the torch and pitchforks are brought out so hastily.

If it turns out he winds up apologising for making light of the situation, then yeah, go all out.

I said, if it turns out to be a tasteless joke, then yeah go all out.

Last edited:

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
I don't understand how someone's first reaction to the horrible news can be to make a joke. Super unwise.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Just...why? What kind of judgment does he have where he even thought that tweet was funny? For fuck's sake, people were murdered and he's trying to get a goddamn dad joke in? Unreal.

Oct 25, 2017
Get over yourself.

All I had said from the start was at least give the guy a chance to clarify what he had said before calling for his head.

God forbid someone have a different opinion to the lynch mob. Or did you alsoconveniently ignore all my other posts in the thread?

I said, if it turns out to be a tasteless joke, then yeah go all out.

Give him a chance to clarify a tweet that was directly in response to a tweet that told him what was going on?

Yea, how about you get over yourself and stop defending shitty tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.