• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Guys. He apologized. He screwed up. People are allowed to screw up occasionally. Especially people who are willing to own up to it.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Give him a chance to clarify a tweet that was directly in response to a tweet that told him what was going on?

Yea, how about you get over yourself and stop defending shitty tweets.

Yeah. The tweet he responded to said PDP was referenced. He mentioned it being Pi day to potentially link the killer to doing it on Pi day intentionally.

Asking for clarity before instantly assuming the worst is a completely reasonable response. Particularly when it's not clear cut what the intent was.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
With such a brief message from Patcher, it's hard to tell what his sentiment is. You can interpret what he's actually trying to say in multiple ways.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The tweet he responded to said PDP was referenced. He mentioned it being Pi day to potentially link the killer to doing it on Pi day intentionally.

Asking for clarity before instantly assuming the worst is a completely reasonable response. Particularly when it's not clear cut what the intent was.

Read what you just wrote. Read what the tweet says. Read what happened in the shooting.

Do you realize how fucking stupid it all sounds? How fucking inappropriate the tweet is given the context of what was happening, based off some tenuous incorrect connection that reads like (and is) a shit joke? Pi day? The fuck?

How do you think that explanation makes this an appropriate tweet/joke? You quoted a bunch of folks but seemed to have missed why the tweet is an issue.

OP
OP
sabrina

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

It doesn't really matter why Pachter said what he said. Bottom line, he heard about a tragedy and his first response was to make a callous, possibly glib statement about it. If there's a time and place to speculate on why a mass shooting happened, it's not in immediate response to the first news story you read about the tragedy. That's why people think Pachter's tweet was offensive.

So that's the event that you're defending. You're acting like you're being civil by giving him the benefit of doubt, but the only part of this event in doubt is the least important part of it. It doesn't matter why he said something callous and it doesn't matter that you think he may have had some logic for being callous. That doesn't take away the callousness of the tweet.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was intended as a joke. And I think it's clear, but I'm not going to insist that people who disagree with me are wrong or evil. But anyone expecting him to admit it was a joke are in for a long wait, because if it was in fact a joke, he should (and would) get fired. One reading of what he said makes him tone deaf. The other makes him pure evil.

I agree. Though I do think that given how much it clearly upset people and the incredible severity of the incident, he really ought to make a
more formal apology.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys. He apologized. He screwed up. People are allowed to screw up occasionally. Especially people who are willing to own up to it.

Big eye roll to this post, he's not going to learn and I can safely say he's a shitty person. He wouldn't have deleted it or apologized unless people called him out. This is a person that doesn't have a filter. He's old and out of touch, he won't change.

I'm done being told to give old white guys second chances over and over again.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boys will be boys.
I expect him to learn from this mistake.

NSi0qjF.gif

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking moron.
You don't make jokes about this sort of incidents.
Even his apology doesn't count.

People do mistakes yeah, but not these kinda mistakes.

I really hope he gets banned.

Aug 27, 2018
What is this nonsense?? As in the "'boys will be boys'" BS. That excuse is fucking garbage
Pretty sure he's calling out the typical "boys will be boys" attitude some people have toward others when they do things that are incredibly shitty. Fairly certain the post you quoted was certainly not saying "boys will be boys" in a serious manner.

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking moron.
You don't make jokes about this sort of incidents.
Even his apology doesn't count.

People do mistakes yeah, but not these kinda mistakes.

I really hope he gets banned.

I sure hope you never say anything stupid. It was a very insensitive comment, but not enough to make him a pariah. He apologized. Get over it.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope you never say anything stupid. It was a very insensitive comment, but not enough to make him a pariah. He apologized. Get over it.

Get over it?
49 human being were killed and he jokes about it.
49 people are not on their homes. They have families and children. They were slaughtered and he jokes about it. And you telling me to get over it?
Why don't you tell that to the people who lost their loves one.
tell them he made a mistake and get over it.

Last edited:

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

With such a brief message from Patcher, it's hard to tell what his sentiment is. You can interpret what he's actually trying to say in multiple ways.
Even with the most 'positive' interpretation of it, putting that out there in the middle of an active (at the time) shooting is fucking stupid. A joke? An explanation? Theory crafting? Is any of that appropriate in response to a tweet asking people not to share the video of a shooter?

No. It isn't.

Even Pachter realized how stupid it was.

It's a low, low bar but at least he didn't pull some bullshit in his apology.

Doesn't change my opinion that he's a fucking moron who can't understand context.

Oct 25, 2017
Get over it?
49 human being were killed and he jokes about it.
49 people are not on their homes. They have families and children. They were slaughtered and he jokes about it. And you telling me to get over it?
Why don't you tell that to the people who lost their loves one.
tell them he made a mistake and get over it.

I don't think the families involved care about his moronic attempt at a joke. He apologized. It's not like he has a history or pattern of doing this type of thing.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Stunning that some people have become so desensitized that a mass shooting becomes fodder for a really shitty joke, not only that, but a really questionable tie-in with pdp given the shooters manifesto.

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I care about Pachter at all, but as far as apologies go that's a decent one compared to most of the trash non-apologies we see.

(Still a shit comment to make)

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Big eye roll to this post, he's not going to learn and I can safely say he's a shitty person. He wouldn't have deleted it or apologized unless people called him out. This is a person that doesn't have a filter. He's old and out of touch, he won't change.

I'm done being told to give old white guys second chances over and over again.

Okay wait hold on

This joke was shitty as hell, but have we even seen Pachter do anything besides made outlandish video game market predictions to definitively come to this conclusion?

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the families involved care about his moronic attempt at a joke. He apologized. It's not like he has a history or pattern of doing this type of thing.

Saw his comments about Iwata after his death?

Pachter isn't someone you want to have a drink with. He is a grumpy old very egocentric man who has most of the times no clue what he is talking about.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Even with the most 'positive' interpretation of it, putting that out there in the middle of an active (at the time) shooting is fucking stupid. A joke? An explanation? Theory crafting? Is any of that appropriate in response to a tweet asking people not to share the video of a shooter?

No. It isn't.

Even Pachter realized how stupid it was.

It's a low, low bar but at least he didn't pull some bullshit in his apology.

Doesn't change my opinion that he's a fucking moron who can't understand context.
All I'm saying is that the "positive" interpretation, it's far less offensive than if it were a joke like so many in this thread assume it is. It's impossible to know which it is without reading his mind.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean a good human being would never say something like this in the first place.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay wait hold on

This joke was shitty as hell, but have we even seen Pachter do anything besides made outlandish video game market predictions to definitively come to this conclusion?

The Iwata comment after his death was the first eye brow raise moment. Pachter is the type of person I would NOT associate with in my every day life. Regardless if it was intended as a joke or a comparison with NZ and people using Pi Day to promote Pew, it was in poor taste after what had just happened. This man has no issues making poor taste comments after people have died and think it's alright. That's an issue with him as a person considering how old he is.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A decent human being wouldn't make that kind of fuck up in the first place.

That said, I'm surprised by the quality of that apology. We normally get shitty half apologies from people who clearly aren't sorry for anything.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory generalizations and antagonizing other members
Bullshit. I'm just not gonna get worked up over every insensitive comment someone makes. Especially someone that doesn't have a rep for it and apologized. Don't you EVER assume to know what I'm thinking. Especially about a situation this serious.

Pro tip: stay out of discussions like these, these people can't be helped because they WANT to be outraged at everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Is this true? That takes an amazingly terrible person to say this, if so.

Edit: Found it. Dude is a POS.
It's very true. Throughout the years he seemingly showed zero respect to anyone at Nintendo because they didnt run their business the way he thought they should run it, and even Iwata's death didn't stop him from being a complete asshole to the man. Although he did eventually apologize for that too:

'I want to take an opportunity to formally and vocally apologize for being crass and unfeeling when I said that Mr Iwata is late but not so great," Pachter said candidly and unctuously. 'I think that that was rude, and uncalled for. I did not feel he was a very good businessperson- he was clearly a wonderful, kind man, with a ton of talent, and he shepherded a great company during his tenure there.'

It would seem Michael has an issue with not thinking before speaking, which should give any employer of his pause.

Status
Not open for further replies.