• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PewDiePie himself draws a connection between Pi Day and PewDiePie. As in, he did it literally today.
Why does that matter? Why would someone be willing to murder dozens of people and make dumb math puns? Why is it worthwhile for anyone to speculate that when dozens of people are dead? What value does it bring to understanding the situation?

Also, if there was any intentional, symbolic timing to when this was done (there probably wasn't), it's not to Pie day of all things but the Ides of March

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
How does that make it better? It's inappropriate and insensitive, malice or not.

I could definitely see an inane comment trying to explain the shooting as "inappropriate and insensitive," but I would describe a flippant joke about a current tragedy as absolutely disgusting and reprehensible. There is a pretty large gap in between those for me.

If he comes back and says it was a joke, then fuck him.

Oct 26, 2017
Why does that matter? Why would someone be willing to murder dozens of people and make dumb math puns? Why is it worthwhile for anyone to speculate that when dozens of people are dead? What value does it bring to understanding the situation?

Also, if there was any intentional, symbolic timing to when this was done (there probably wasn't), it's not to Pie day of all things but the Ides of March
Unfortunately, speculation is what tons of people are doing about this event, from the moment the first report came in to even now. On every single little detail. It can be annoying, but it is happening everywhere. Reset at least seems to be pretty decent at trying to get everyone to level set and wait for details to come in.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Pachter aside, I'm not necessarily sure about that. Online white supremacist love their dogwhistle memes, and PewDiePie's been receiving some attention from their types over the years.

Unfortunately I don't have the image on me of the Neo-Nazi tweeting out "HAIL FELIX, HAIL OUR PEOPLE" in response to PewDiePie complimenting a white supremacist's sweater on Twitter or I'd be posting it now.

Jun 26, 2018
Michael Pachter is either making the worst joke ever or making the worst speculation ever.

It makes him look like an insensitive idiot no matter where you fall on that line.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It's fairly obvious what he's saying. I'm a little puzzled as to how people can miss the point so badly.

14/3 is called "Pi day" in reference to the number. Over here, it's common to do pie-themed events on that day. Upon hearing the news that the video in question has references to PewDiePie, he's suggesting that maybe it's an intentional refence to Pi Day. However, he's questioning this because it's currently the 15/3 in Aus/NZ. If the killer had timed their attack for 14/3, it could be seen as some kind of sick Pi Day/PewDiePie thing.

Right, of course the most important thing to become our focus right now is the pewdiepie reference, instead of... You know, Muslims getting shot at. He didnt even offer condolences or whatever.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
hip/cool or internet csi - same difference, man :) ...

In my experience, people in his age group absolutely cannot stop trying to parse out why the young people are doing this or that. My parents had no end of explanations for pretty much every school shooting. Hip/cool/CSI, whatever. They always need to immediately throw around explanations.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The killer told his followers to subscribe to PewDiePie immediately before he started killing. Today is Pi Day. (It was yesterday in NZ.) Today, PewDiePie told his followers to subscribe because it is Pi Day.

When you're trying to understand the thought process of a sick killer who made declarations like "Fortnite trained me to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies," PieDiePie is a more obvious source of the timing of this attack than The Ides of March.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Michael Pachter is either making the worst joke ever or making the worst speculation ever.

It makes him look like an insensitive idiot no matter where you fall on that line.

I think this is where I'm at, I'm confused by his reply and the tweet in question in general with the PDP reference, but theres a lot of details I don't know about the situation.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an updated timeline:

- 6 hours ago pewdiepie tweets "Happy Pie Day', a day that is of significance to him as he has celebrated in the past. 'Pi' day is March 14, aka 3/14, aka 3.1415....

- Couple of hours later the killer mentions "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" before slaughtering innocent people

- Pachter speculates that the timing of the attack may have been intentional so as to land on Pi day (It's not actually pi day in NZ)

- Pachter's tweet has the cadence of a pithy joke tweet, but is clearly not intended to make light of the situation if you understand the context

- Thread is posted on Resetera with a thread title that is along the lines of "Pachter makes light of attack"

- Pachter is condemned by Resetera either for making a joke (which he isn't), or for speculating idly (which is what half of Resetera is doing currently as well in the other thread)

Last edited:

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Man, if he fell asleep after making this Tweet, he's going to have an interesting morning when he checks his phone and meets up with his business partners.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it is speculation, I'm 100% sure that Pachter is missing the point. I doubt the killer said "subscribe to PewDiePie" because it's Pi day. Maybe that ran through his head, but it's not the main reason.

The main reason is that PewDiePie is a man who has received criticism for jokes where he's wear a Nazi uniform, show a big in-game swastika, pay people to hold up a sign that says "death to jews", as well as for screaming the N-word live over a stream. And his response to that criticism largely consisted of blaming the media. Not to mention how he's had Ben Shapiro as a guest, tweeted a compliment to Stefan Molyneux, received an invitation from Alex Jones, and sat alongside Janus Korwin-Mikke while explaining how women should shut up about income inequality.

It is not hard to figure out why a white supremacist who spends a lot of time on white supremacist websites would voice support for PewDiePie. It's really hard to imagine that it's was just the day.

Oct 27, 2017
EVEN if you think he's speculating, from all the comments he could have made, he chose one of the worst ones. One of those instances when saying nothing at all is better.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

- 6 hours ago pewdiepie tweets "Happy Pie Day', a day that is of significance to him as he has celebrated in the past

- Couple of hours later the killer mentions "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" before slaughtering innocent people

- Pachter speculates that the timing of the attack may have been intentional so as to land on Pi day (It's not actually pi day in NZ)

- Pachter's tweet has the cadence of a pithy joke tweet, but is clearly not intended to make light of the situation if you understand the context

- Thread is posted on Resetera with a thread title that is along the lines of "Pachter makes light of attack"

- Pachter is condemned by Resetera either for making a joke (which he isn't), or for speculating idly (which is what half of Resetera is doing currently as well in the other thread)

Also you must note that Pachter was aware of Pewdiepie's tweet earlier today yet not aware of this.

If the meme weren't a thing, I'd agree that Pachter was probably innocent. You might not have heard of the meme before, but you probably weren't aware of Pewdiepie's tweet earlier today either, if that was the case.

As an industry analyst, I don't think ignorance of what is going on with pewdiepie is an excuse.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People will often look at the date of a planned attack to see if it has any significance to the person that planned it, or if the date was chosen by the attackers to purport a particular message or meaning.

I don't know why you would think that looking for the significance in an attacker's timing is grossly inappropriate or insensitive. It may seem like ridiculous speculation on the face of it, but strangely enough people do put some thought into the dates they choose to cause tragedy.

How long did it take before people realized that the World Trade Center was attacked on "9-11"? Or that the Columbine shootings were on 4/20 (famous marijuana lingo, Hitler's birthday)? Or that the Oklahoma City bombing was on 4/19 (anniversary of Waco raid on Branch Davidian compound)?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't have responded to a solemn statement about an hours-old massacre by making a quip to share a pun I thought of for an unrelated holiday.

This guy's judgement is rotten

Oct 25, 2017

- 6 hours ago pewdiepie tweets "Happy Pie Day', a day that is of significance to him as he has celebrated in the past

I feel like this context is kinda important to have in the OP and thread title. Too many people reading the tweet with no background to the situation and just dogpiling.

I think the comment was in bad taste either way but judging from some of the comments on the first few pages this has been way misconstrued.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of when the 9/11 attacks happened, people speculated the date of September 11th was purposely selected for the symbolism of "911" being the phone number of "Emergency Services" in America. It's not a joke, it's people trying to find meaning in a tragedy. PDP promoting "pi day" and this mass-murderer namechecking PDP would lead one to speculate of this date being selected. Of course it was a day later in NZ.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

- 6 hours ago pewdiepie tweets "Happy Pie Day', a day that is of significance to him as he has celebrated in the past. 'Pi' day is March 14, aka 3/14, aka 3.1415....

You serious with this post?

Of course it's coming off as a shitty joke due to the context. If it wasn't for the know link between the shooter and PewDiePie, why else would people think it's a joke? Why are you so ready to defend this guy?

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Even if it's not a joke, it's tone-deaf as fuck. Best defense you can give Pachter is that's he's kinda dumb.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
You serious with this post?

Of course it's coming off as a shitty joke due to the context. Why are you so ready to defend this guy?

Yes I am serious. I think that it's an extremely uncharitable reading to say that the tweet was an intentional joke.

I have no personal connection or affiliation with the guy, I just think the knee-jerk dog piling on him was completely unfair.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I am serious. I think that it's an extremely uncharitable reading to say that the tweet was an intentional joke.

I have no personal connection or affiliation with the guy, I just think the knee-jerk dog piling on him was completely unfair.
Then he can delete the Tweet, apologize, and move on.

Dude's a grown ass adult. Think before you say shit.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017

SECONED! you gotta love this alt--right nutjobs lurking over here only time and time again to get the rage on then sun back to their "safe space"! Hi Gus thanks for the ad revenue and site traffic!

OT: Fuck outta here Patcher! How stupid do you have to be to read that tweet and respond the way to did; no one can be that fucking dense!

EDIT: Oh shit! he's a memeber here!?!?!?(maybe?) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'll never understand the kinds of people who can see news of fatal attacks in our own part of the world or anywhere really, and just be like "okay, it's not something that happened in my backyard so let me just make a joke about it!".

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
How has he not deleted his tweet yet?

I can't even begin to understand how anyone would think this is an okay thing to say

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Then he can delete the Tweet, apologize, and move on.

Dude's a grown ass adult. Think before you say shit.

I actually agree with you that he should delete the tweet, apologize for posting something that evidently could be so easily misconstrued, and clearly explain what he meant.

What I don't agree with is the pages and pages of posts calling for his head, accusing him of something that he clearly didn't do (intentionally make a joke).

Feb 10, 2018
I thought he meant it might not be pi day in NZ because the shooter mentioned pewdiepie and the NZ ppl reject all things pewdiepie including pi day, Because of the tragedy and its relation to pewdiepie?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
What I don't agree with is the pages and pages of posts calling for his head, accusing him of something that he clearly didn't do (intentionally make a joke).

I think he thought up a pun related to the massacre that he felt was so "clever" it didn't matter where he shared it. And doing that in response to a solemn comment on the shooting underlined how poor his judgement was.

That's not far off from what people call a joke

Jun 26, 2018
I actually agree with you that he should delete the tweet, apologize for posting something that evidently could be so easily misconstrued, and clearly explain what he meant.

Easily misconstrued or clearly not a joke

So, which is it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.