• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i mean even the name "attack of the clones" makes you think they will be like the opposing force on the clone wars.

they being part of the republic was a plot twist? or tried to be a plot twist?

what do you think era?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Well, yes that is the twist as it is presented in the film.

But I would say they are more morally questionable than good.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
The Empire did nothing wrong.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah Episode 2 was like turbo spoiled in marketing. Or maybe that was 3.

I think internally before the PT the concept of "the clone wars" was in constant flux and at one point, they were the bad guys.

Also, from a certain point of view, the clones were always the bad guys, waiting for palpatine to tell them to kill all those jedi. I think that was meant to be the bigger twist

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars show tries to present them as good guys that were turned via conditioning like an army of Manchurian Candidates at the receipt of an Order 66 command but it definitely didn't feel that way to me in Ep III

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of? Pre-PT people were never sure whether the Clones in the Clone War were the "good guys" or not. There were comics that assumed that the clones were bad guys that fought the Jedi for the whole war, there were fan theories that Obi-Wan himself was a clone soldier of an original Jedi named Ben Kenobi (people speculating that "Obi-Wan" was a corruption of "OB-1," some kind of clone designation number).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean even the name "attack of the clones" makes you think they will be like the opposing force on the clone wars.

it could be "attack of the jedi/republic" and still have the same connotation

i think the point was "uh oh we clones here to wreck shit up" regardless of the film's quality

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of? Pre-PT people were never sure whether the Clones in the Clone War were the "good guys" or not. There were comics that assumed that the clones were bad guys that fought the Jedi for the whole war, there were fan theories that Obi-Wan himself was a clone soldier of an original Jedi named Ben Kenobi (people speculating that "Obi-Wan" was a corruption of "OB-1," some kind of clone designation number).
Oh wow, thats a cool theory.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The stormtroopers being good guys was kind of a twist, yeah. Though the real fun was the are the Empire era stormtroopers clones or not fallout.

IIRC it basically went from "yeah, they're all clones from a variety of sources" to "it's mixed, clones supplemented by regular troops" to what eventually became the canon "clones were phased out and replaced by recruits."

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Probably had a lot to do with Boba Fett being super popular in the 90s and some bad writing to make the kids watching go "Boba fett bad! Guys that look like boba fett good?!?"

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real shit, what would you rename the mess of a film AoC? There has to be something better.

Clone Conspiracy?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It has a better ring to it than "Attack of The Confederacy of Independent Systems."

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
And then it became the Order?
Not exactly. After the empire fell there was a power vacuum as centrists and populists fought over the future course of the new republic. First order amassed power/assets/people over 30 or so years after ROTJ. It includes remnants of the empire but it's not a continuation of the empire exactly.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One day I'll have to sit down and actually finish a Star Wars movie (that isn't The Force Awakens). Feels like I'm missing out on...something...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Star Wars: Episode 2: Stop this War of the Clones, I Want to Get Off!

Nov 8, 2017
Well I wasn't completely down with everything when it came out, I was like 11 or 12 or something when the movies hit, but I was indeed surprised when the clones were the good guys even after watching trailers and whatnot on TV. The film was called Attack of the Clones and they looked like storm troopers. I'm sure it was probably revealed prior to the film's release, but at the time I don't think it was common knowledge.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What? The twist with the clones was that Dooku was ordered to create them by Sidious and at first seeming good (because they are with the republic), they were really always going to betray the jedi at Sidious' call. Which is realized in Ep.3.

Stop browsing instagram and actually observe and listen to what is happening. #AttackoftheCondescension

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, I can remember my friends and I talking about that stuff back in the 90s. Similarly, I can remember us imagining what the Clones Wars were for hours on end, then getting so stoked when the prequels were coming out so we'd find out...and ultimately disappointment.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't paid that much attention to new EU stuff but I just learned that apparently Sifo Dyas was actually a real Jedi and not just count Dooku faking a name.

Some regular Jedi was just able to place an order for an army capable of conquering the Galaxy.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the idea of a mystery sideplot with Obiwan could of been cool, with anakin instead of doing protection being sent as a Watson type to do some errand and that going wrong in it's own way, and the two meet up again.

As kid me and friend always debated if droids or clones were cooler, I always found clones to be better. Is there any reason they switched to recurits?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly. After the empire fell there was a power vacuum as centrists and populists fought over the future course of the new republic. First order amassed power/assets/people over 30 or so years after ROTJ. It includes remnants of the empire but it's not a continuation of the empire exactly.
ehh... the "remnants of the Empire" are the ones who officially formed the First Order, on standing orders from Palpatine in the event of his death. They're basically the Empire.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Old EU material also put the Clone Wars much further back in history, like 30-40 years before the OT instead of 19 years before Ep IV. Although that would have opened up a Simpsons-style timeline plothole where you wonder how the Empire let Luke and Leia be born in the first place, being only 19 themselves.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't paid that much attention to new EU stuff but I just learned that apparently Sifo Dyas was actually a real Jedi and not just count Dooku faking a name.

Some regular Jedi was just able to place an order for an army capable of conquering the Galaxy.
I once had an hour debate with my dad about this at church

Him:
"THATS STUPID CARTOON CANON. AND LESS INTERESTING. IT WAS PALAPTINE SETTING THINGS IN MOTION FROM THE START. WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE THAT? THE PREQUELS ARE UNDOING ANY GOOD IDEAS THEY HAD NOW. FUCKING CARTOONS."

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Clone Wars show tries to present them as good guys that were turned via conditioning like an army of Manchurian Candidates at the receipt of an Order 66 command but it definitely didn't feel that way to me in Ep VI.
You mean III? I always felt that it was odd that the clones including Obi-wan's commander turned so suddenly at the snap of a finger. Like the fact that Cody went from friendly bro handing back Obi-wan his lightsaber that he recovered for him on the ground to immediately ordering his execution without hesitation. Even back then, I was hearing rumors that the clones had chips or something in their heads that prompted them to carry the order without question.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean III? I always felt that it was odd that the clones including Obi-wan's commander turned so suddenly at the snap of a finger. Like the fact that Cody went from friendly bro handing back Obi-wan his lightsaber that he recovered for him on the ground to immediately ordering his execution without hesitation. Even back then, I was hearing rumors that the clones had chips or something in their heads that prompted them to carry the order without question.
The novelization actually portrays Cody as being annoyed that the order came in immediately after he gave Obi-Wan back his lightsaber. I thought it worked at the time, but it has been quite a while.