• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantasia, the first one, and it's not even close. Okay, Alice in Wonderland comes close, but it still loses.

RespectfulFocusedLark-size_restricted.gif

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It was my favourite as a kid but upon a recent rewatch, nah it's not the best but it's up there. And yes like others have said, the remake made me reconsider how Jasmine is treated in the original.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Hunchback could work as a live action remake if they get the right team together. If you cut out the gargoyles you would already have a better film.
Hunchback with the music intact, gargoyles having a lessened role, keeping the thematics of the movies while also going a bit more book accurate by introducing Frollo's brother, and not being defanged to keep with Disney's current image could easily be the best live action adaptation yet. But I dunno man, rewatching it lately I keep going over it in my head that no way contemporary Disney can do it justice. The dialogue from Frollo contemplating drowning a baby in a well up till the end is just so charged and straight up manic that there is no way they keep half of it. The Palace of Justice especially feels like something they cut entirely, that genocide analogy and the whipping endurance is off the fucking rails.
The two of you should really check out the stage musical adaptation of Hunchback. It does what you want, and adds some really amazing songs. Such a shame the live-action movie isn't going to be based on it.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was my favourite as a kid but upon a recent rewatch, nah it's not the best but it's up there. And yes like others have said, the remake made me reconsider how Jasmine is treated in the original.

Yeah it was my favorite too and I still love it. It's not the best though.

I'm general the story itself is a little too thin. Never been a Lion King person per se, but I recognize a much meatier story.

All that being said I actually prefer the Disney Studio animation run of Moana, BH6, Zootopia ect... over the 90s class.

Eferim

May 20, 2019
It's amazing how good The Lion King is when you consider the fact that the movie doesn't have a second act. It just goes straight from the first act to the third. I was really hoping the remake would add a second act to the movie but it sounds like that POS couldn't even do that.

Destroyer

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
The original is one of my favorite Disney movies, but I think Pete's Dragon is the best remake so far.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Aladdin is definitely up there for me.

I'm watching the live action version on Disney+ and it really just makes me want to watch the original instead.

Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan were my favorites growing up. I'd probably add Tangled, Zootopia, and Moana to my favorites these days.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe I wasn't the first to say Lilo and stitch..... I mean not when...... Leroy and stitch exists! There we go, I'm original

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I never considered Alladin in the top 5, probably not even top 10, but Robin Williams is so damn good in that movie.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I can't fully agree I think emperor's new groove is better but I do agree animated movie feels Soo much more about the genie than Aladdin that I think I enjoyed the live action one more

Probably the best live action remake Disney made so far last decade.

Whole new world and Arabian nights hit sooo hard in the right places ;d

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
No but it's acceptable answer, I personally like The Sword in the Stone

u0sgawonuv3gt9gevo1i.png

Last edited:

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I watched Aladdin like every single day as a kid and it was always my favorite Disney movie.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The two of you should really check out the stage musical adaptation of Hunchback. It does what you want, and adds some really amazing songs. Such a shame the live-action movie isn't going to be based on it.
Actually discovered it last month, which is why I said most of those things. I knew 90s Disney revival musicals were on a whole nother level, but Notre Dame really went above and beyond in what it set out to do. A 7 minute Bells of Notre Dame that tells a much deeper story is something I never knew I wanted, holy fuck is it so good.

A movie on this level would be perfect.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably say Aladdin is my favorite, but it's not by a large margin.

Also, One Jump Ahead is probably my favorite Disney song, with I Won't Say I'm in Love from Hercules being a close second.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted on Aladdin. Robin Williams is perfect but I'm not really a fan of the anachronistic jokes. Well, the jokes all work but I want the writing to succeed on its own.

Beauty and the Beast really grew on me in the last couple years.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I rewatched both Aladdin and Hercules recently on D+. Aladdin really did not hold up well for me besides the songs and the voice acting. I felt Hurcules was the much better movie. I would say right now my favorite would be Mulan, but I need to rewatch that as well. If Mulan fails to hold up like Aladdin, I would probably say Lion King is the best. Also, Princess and the Frog is extremely underrated IMO.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is by far the best animated feature that Disney has ever put out.
Only film that maybe, MAYBE, comes close would be Fantasia.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
The first third of Mulan is my favorite part. I don't think you can get away with being a Renaissance movie with that lame-o of a villain though.

I personally really liked Shan Yu as a villain. He and the Huns were far more threatening without any exposition or cheesy musical number. I also really liked how the final musical number gets cut short when the heroes are suddenly faced with the realities of war.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

"Now shall you deal with me, O Prince...and all the powers of Hell!"

Every scene is a marvel of design, animation, and artistry, and there has never been a better synthesis of music and image.