• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yeah?

• Fuck yes

Votes: 630 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 841 57.2%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2017
I think you can agree, though, that part of the problem is *how* they've decided to remake it. The drive to have it look as photorealistic as possible with as much detail as possible while also having Midgar be a fully explorable 3D space where Cloud can interact with enemies in a character-action style of combat makes it so that it's impossible to do anything other than a small slice of the original game.

Had they stuck to their roots of turn-based combat and isometric environments, we could have a full remake of the game that is highly detailed with utterly gorgeous environments that would be an incredible expansion on the original game. Rather than going for the FFVIIR character-action Midgar spin-off, they could have really hammered out some stunning environments in the vein of Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Disco Elysium. I just think their current approach was the wrong approach considering the sweeping sacrifices it's making to get the game to store shelves.

Well my opinion is a bit more complicated than that. In general I'm definitely an anti-remake person. If something is getting re-released, I would be more than ok with a remaster with maybe a couple of new features/fixes. I would much rather have resources used on a new experience (and I would much rather have this specific dev team working on a new numbered title).

But the remake is happening and I can't stop it. I do wish that they stuck with the trilogy plan for XV instead, but do I love practically everything I'm seeing about VIIR? Yes.

It's their most popular and beloved game, and they want to modernize it.

They have said before that if they were to remake VII it would take 10 years. And well, this is the result. A game split into parts.

Also it's not a spin-off. We get it, you don't approve of the changes, especially with the battle system. That doesn't make it a spin-off.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. What is the point? It is like saying you want FFVII to look like that.

I just didn't like the visual style of FF3 and 4 on DS. The original DS didn't quite have the power to make those games look good in full 3D. DQ9 managed better because Toriyama's character designs are a better fit for low-poly 3D (as are Nomura's come to think about it). Maybe if they had looked more like the DS version of DQ5 and 6 with sprites on top of 3D backgrounds -- possibly a more fitting execution of what Octopath does...

More generally though, keeping the classic style of chibi characters in a top-down or 3/4 camera perspective can be done in various ways. Octopath is one way, the DS and 3DS versions of the FF and DQ games is another way. Doing what FF3 and 4 did on DS but with the horsepower of modern consoles would look a lot better.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I just didn't like the visual style of FF3 and 4 on DS. The original DS didn't quite have the power to make those games look good in full 3D. DQ9 managed better because Toriyama's character designs are a better fit for low-poly 3D (as are Nomura's come to think about it). Maybe if they had looked more like the DS version of DQ5 and 6 with sprites on top of 3D backgrounds -- possibly a more fitting execution of what Octopath does...

More generally though, keeping the classic style of chibi characters in a top-down or 3/4 camera perspective can be done in various ways. Octopath is one way, the DS and 3DS versions of the FF and DQ games is another way. Doing what FF3 and 4 did on DS but with the horsepower of modern consoles would look a lot better.

Btw, I love DQVII's artstyle but I disagree with it for FFVI remake. Yea FFIII and IV DS artstyle is horrible. WtF were they thinking?

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
No, it needs the FFVII Remake treatment. Could you imagine the opening? The Opera House? The attack on Narshe? The Esper World? The end of the world? The Falcon coming out the ocean? I won't settle for anything less than the FFVIIR treatment.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Nah, octopaths visual style is really overrated, if they are going to bother with a remake they should do it properly, i want it to be a full blown remake kinda like ff7 but on the next gen consoles, push them boundaries baby, don't dwell in the past.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eww, The suggestion of a remake like FFVIIR is even worse than the OPs suggestion of having it look like Octopath.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
No. They can take some pointers from it but it needs to be so much more than what Octopath Traveller is. They can go retro-ish and don't have to go all FFVII Remake on it, but I'd want an FFVI remake to be far more pleasing to the eye than Octopath Traveller (it's not an ugly game but it is quite clearly a budget title).