• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yeah?

• Fuck yes

Votes: 630 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 841 57.2%

• Total voters

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Amano's art too abstract, that's why they changed the character designer to nomura, it was easier to make his characters designs in 3D. The CGs based on amano's art are hideous btw.
Capturing that abstract art is what I want though! Something like Sable, but Amano instead of Moebius:

And y'know, SE money instead of an indie. Something like that and the sketchiness of the War of the Lions cutscenes:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Low poly 3D for VI would be a mess. You can't get good drama out of fat-headed low-poly chibi character models. Watching Celes deliberate over killing herself on the island while looking like a mutant Kewpie doll would be laughable.
I don't like this notion that all things need to be high grade realism PS4 graphics to be taken seriously. FF6 sprites on SNES looked derpy but the story stood its ground and still had plenty of emotional impact even without character models made up of tens of thousands of polys. Not to mention there are so many moments in FF6 that beg for a quirky art style, including but not limited to train suplexing and anything involving Ultros.

Apr 19, 2018
Final Fantasy IV/After Years PSP style please:

ec2527909e67095cb3d6db4336d510d6.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this notion that all things need to be high grade realism PS4 graphics to be taken seriously. FF6 sprites on SNES looked derpy but the story stood its ground and still had plenty of emotional impact even without character models made up of tens of thousands of polys. Not to mention there are so many moments in FF6 that beg for a quirky art style, including but not limited to train suplexing and anything involving Ultros.

I watched the cutscenes in FFIV DS, and watching Edge cry over his dead parents with those completely detail-less character models made me laugh out loud. It's impossible to take it seriously looking like that.

It doesn't need hyper-realism, but a story as high-drama as VI needs characters that can emote.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the cutscenes in FFIV DS, and watching Edge cry over his dead parents with those completely detail-less character models made me laugh out loud. It's impossible to take it seriously looking like that.

It doesn't need hyper-realism, but a story as high-drama as VI needs characters that can emote.
And low poly 3D can emote! We aren't talking about DS style. Think about graphics Wii - > Switch fidelity. That's sort of what I meant by 3DS.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
I played the demo for Octopath and while I liked the graphics I disliked how the enemies had no animation. They were just high resolution images. I would love a Final Fantasy 6 remake to look like Final Fantasy 9.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
That's a hell yes from me. Love that style. I'm enjoying Octopath though, I know some are turned off by the art and that's fine. Different strokes and all that.

But it would have the benefit of possibly releasing within a decade...so there's that.

Maybe a full on FFVIIRemake would be best, but would Square commit that many resources and years to a game that likely doesn't have nearly the sales potential of VII? (I prefer VI to VII, but concede the latter has a much higher ceiling)

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I guess I'm not sure *shrug*. That one mobile 'remaster' went a bit too far in smoothing out pixels.

Something I've always wondered though is if people would like Square to 'remake' the game, but adopt the surrealist art style of Yoshitaka Amano in 2.5D or 3D as the main look of the game rather than the way FF7R is a bit more on the realistic side.

beda3bc9850335261f406926084e4caf.jpg

or an take on it

imgbin-final-fantasy-vi-dissidia-final-fantasy-dissidia-012-final-fantasy-terra-branford-others-bjrQADt3GRkqGTBRrN5Wz0mSR.jpg

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I would be much more excited for a FF6 remake in the Octopath Traveler style than I would be for a remake in the FF7R style.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
NO. Octopath style might be cute and nice, but within the whole picture of making sales, it does not generate enough hype and sales.

Looking at current hype, the way to go is FF7R style, a revamp of everything. The graphics will also create tons of memes.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath looks quite rubbish, borderline worse than those lazy mobile ports.

I don't see the point in a remake keeping a pixelly look. Something hand-drawn could be lovely, but a full-on 3D reimagining could be cool too, given the proper budget of course.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will not accept a Final Fantasy VI where a character's head doesn't make up a third of their total height.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind it some stuff in octopath looks fantastic but also I think the world of pixelart especially in the indie space is like light years beyond what octopath delivered.

So yes I would want a remake to be pixel art but I also would want it to look like it's AAA pixel art surpassing stuff indie devs do which octopath I don't think really does.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Octopath looks great, but FFVI already looks like that. I want a full 3D remake.
I agree with RagnarokX. Octopath's art style is designed to remind you of the original look of 16-bit games such a FFVI. While I definitely wouldn't expect something like the FFVII treatment, I would be a bit disappointed if a remake of FFVI didn't overhaul the perspective of the world. Something like the remake of Trials of Mana could be cool.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Square-Enix is going to see big, big $$$$$ from the Final Fantasy VII Remake and want to stick with that approach if VI is remade.

An Ocotopath style would be cool, but it likely is not going to sell the types of numbers a higher end style in the vein of FF7R will.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rather not waste FFVI for an Octopath artstyle because it already looks like that. I rather have a FF7R or closer to Amano's art

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought Octopath Traveler looked cool in screenshots but the blur became too much when I tried the demo.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I love the aesthetic of Octo, but I'd want an FFVI remake to be an ambitious 3D undertaking. Not just the original with fancy backgrounds and depth of field.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with RagnarokX. Octopath's art style is designed to remind you of the original look of 16-bit games such a FFVI. While I definitely wouldn't expect something like the FFVII treatment, I would be a bit disappointed if a remake of FFVI didn't overhaul the perspective of the world. Something like the remake of Trials of Mana could be cool.
I always wanted a DS style remake ala 3 and 4. Give Vector the world map representation it deserves like a smaller scale Esthar rather than the sorry small sprite surrounded by lush greenery:
Q69NGGT.png

nqc0cmW.jpg

Something World of Final Fantasy level would be appropriate since the chibi look works for FF6