• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yeah?

• Fuck yes

Votes: 630 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 841 57.2%

• Total voters

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
We already got the FF6 remake though.

174-1744482_the-mobile-updated-appearance-of-final-fantasy-vi.png

0bFYKoV.jpg

tenor.gif

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Sprite base can look really good. Beautiful even. But octopath is not that. Octopath is ugly as sin, is inconsistent, is not good looking, it has no aesthetic.

fVekdz0.gif

mwWo8VR.gif

I know some shots definitely look way too much bloom/HDR, but that's not a limitation of the engine, you can clearly not use that if you don't want to.

I also know some people don't like sprites with varying size pixels, but there's really no way around it if you put it in a full 3D world that isn't a bird's eye view.

But hyperbole always wins, so the above screens are clearly ugly as sin.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't really get the comments about how Octopath is ugly tbh. It looks really good.
It's just not the right style for a FFVI remake imo.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
fVekdz0.gif

mwWo8VR.gif

I know some shots definitely look way too much bloom/HDR, but that's not a limitation of the engine, you can clearly not use that if you don't want to.

I also know some people don't like sprites with varying size pixels, but there's really no way around it if you put it in a full 3D world that isn't a bird's eye view.

Those only really look good in small sizes, the higher the res the worse those repeated low res textures look. If you increase the texture res and overall quality of the environments to actually look good at higher res, you increase the disparity between the environments and characters. Yes, that's not a limitation of the engine, it's a limitation of the artstyle.

Nov 4, 2017
I always felt that if you took UE4 back in time to mid 90s Square and told them to make an RPG, you would get something much like Octopath. With that in mind, it seems like a good fit to me.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Those only really look good in small sizes, the higher the res the worse those repeated low res textures look. If you increase the texture res and overall quality of the environments to actually look good at higher res, you increase the disparity between the environments and characters. Yes, that's not a limitation of the engine, it's a limitation of the artstyle.

But on Switch's 6" screen they still look pretty good? I guess projected on a 50" HDTV less so - but I really enjoyed playing it on my HDTV and didn't have any issues. But really this all goes back to everyone's preferences are totally different.

Like that Kefka 3D render on the other page, some would love it, others hate it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hell yeah. i'd love to play a remake in that style. but more than ff6, i want chrono trigger remade like that.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
But on Switch's 6" screen they still look pretty good? I guess projected on a 50" HDTV less so - but I really enjoyed playing it on my HDTV and didn't have any issues. But really this all goes back to everyone's preferences are totally different.

Like that Kefka 3D render on the other page, some would love it, others hate it.
Yes, the art style look best when the disparity between characters and background is least recognizable. And current tech is already moving against it. A remake made with this artstyle would work best on handheld mode Switch and some mobile phones while looking worse on everything else, which really make an awful idea for an FFVI remake when most of those remakes gets made with future proofing in mind.

You don't remake a 20+ years old game that struggle to look good on modern hardware only to use an artstyle that also struggle to look good on modern hardware.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with that style, because it's an improvement over the current version. But the SNES version still looks great to me.

I just want I-VI playable on current gen systems. I'd settle for them on the Switch online services.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God I hate this shit, turning Kefka into a literal buffoon.

I absolutely despise Square's treatment of this character post-FF6.

9cf9cff84ae143fb5d3b56b78e0f1f54.gif

wtf

Frankly I don't want these people touching this game, no matter what art style they choose.

The fact they let a shitty improv comedian voice him and basically dictate the direction of the character utterly ruined Kefka.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

hyperbole sure buddy whatever you say. it is when older games like

- suikoden
- suikoden 2
- saga frontier 2
- legend of mana
- breath of fire 3
- breath of fire 4

got octopath beat to the punch and look more aesthetically pleasing, more cohesive art, vision, detailing, colors. but sure like you said.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to switch to an Amano inspired watercolour art. Like El Shaddai except not shit.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Nice for a fan mod but nothing more.
It's kinda sad to see how much some of you guys are nowadays so accustomed with getting ultra cheap, ambition-less (and full priced) "remakes" that you're not even able to think about anything else anymore...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

- suikoden
- suikoden 2
- saga frontier 2
- legend of mana
- breath of fire 3
- breath of fire 4

got octopath beat to the punch and look more aesthetically pleasing, more cohesive art, vision, detailing, colors. but sure like you said.

Yeah, all these games here are significant downgrades visually from OT, sorry.

If FFVI was remade in the style of any of those, people would riot. Just like with OT.

Edit: Maybe something with the graphic fidelity of Avatar?

maxresdefault.jpg

Imagine that, but with Terra in the cockpit, stampeding through the village and killing the animals and guards.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely thought so while I was playing it but holistically I would have to say no, the reasons are many, just off the top of my head

• As an artist, I would like to try something new and unique, no team worth their paycheck would find this a motivating direction
  • Its lazy. Carrying art styles from one game to another is not something a company like SE should be doing
  • Its arguably not a good fit. Its easy to hand pick sole screenshots, pimp them out and go SEE, IT WORKS! But thats not how setting a visual direction works. VI has a good number of particular needs not suited for that style (scope, size of world, verticality, dungeon and town design)
  • In order to make a VI remake have the best chance at success you have to consider Amanos artistic influence. A new art style that chases his stylings is something that must be considered and prototyped if you're taking this project seriously
  • Semi related, what would push VI to the next level? For 7R, making Midgar its own game is very smart because it will make leaving Midgar that much more significant. What similar changes to VI could take place to make VI a bigger, more epic, better experience? The art style and budget would have a huge say in how that is accomplished and presented
  • Market differentiation. This art style allows Octopath to have its own distinct, marketable hook. Its bad business to strip that away and paste it on another IP and it can confuse the non hardcore customer

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

- suikoden
- suikoden 2
- saga frontier 2
- legend of mana
- breath of fire 3
- breath of fire 4

You should probably post some pictures of each game so we can compare.
It's weird to compare a modern game with old (low res) sprite based games that would be a lot more expensive to make nowadays tbh.

edit:
I definitely thought so while I was playing it but holistically I would have to say no, the reasons are many, just off the top of my head

• As an artist, I would like to try something new and unique, no team worth their paycheck would find this a motivating direction
  • Its lazy. Carrying art styles from one game to another is not something a company like SE should be doing
  • Its arguably not a good fit. Its easy to hand pick sole screenshots, pimp them out and go SEE, IT WORKS! But thats not how setting a visual direction works. VI has a good number of particular needs not suited for that style (scope, size of world, verticality, dungeon and town design)
  • In order to make a VI remake have the best chance at success you have to consider Amanos artistic influence. A new art style that chases his stylings is something that must be considered and prototyped if you're taking this project seriously
  • Semi related, what would push VI to the next level? For 7R, making Midgar its own game is very smart because it will make leaving Midgar that much more significant. What similar changes to VI could take place to make VI a bigger, more epic, better experience? The art style and budget would have a huge say in how that is accomplished and presented
  • Market differentiation. This art style allows Octopath to have its own distinct, marketable hook. Its bad business to strip that away and paste it on another IP and it can confuse the non hardcore customer
Not talking about the rest of your post, but I disagree that the Midgar focus is what is pushing FF7R to the next level.
The original FF7 wasn't a looker, nor had a really great combat system. That's the technology and gameplay leap that impresses people in most threads, not the fact that this is focused on Midgar.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best option is simply don't remake it at all. It stands on its own still decades later. We don't need to dilute its impact with a new version of it. Clamoring for remakes is so weird to me. Make NEW things that aren't tied to the past and let new classics be made.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The original FF7 wasn't a looker, nor had a really great combat system

Thats some massive revisionist history. People didnt approve of the chibi characters back in the day (much preferring the combat models) but VII was sold as and considered a visual tour de force at the time of release. It singlehandedly was the selling point and the reason why it was a lot of peoples first Final Fantasy game

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Thats some massive revisionist history. People didnt approve of the chibi characters back in the day (much preferring the combat models) but VII was sold as and considered a visual tour de force at the time of release. It singlehandedly was the selling point and the reason why it was a lot of peoples first Final Fantasy game

The CG and 3D models have aged terribly, and the backgrounds less-so but 2D games generally age better than early real-time 3D. Stuff like Curse of Monkey Isand (released the same year as FFVII) has aged way better visually than FFVII. CoM could still pass graphically for a modern cartoon - that's what my daughter felt like she was watching when playing it, but stuff like FFVII's 3D models and even CG look bad now, and I think there's going to be less complaints about updating FFVII's bad 3D models > really advanced ones than there will be converting FFVI's incredible 2D sprites work to something else, even great 3D models.

Oct 31, 2017

wtf

Frankly I don't want these people touching this game, no matter what art style they choose.

Yeah I played FFVI AFTER playing Dissidia, Duodecim, and NT, and I was like "WTF" at how unsettling his presence and behavior was. They didn't get his character right in these games at all, especially in NT

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remake it, and if, gun-to-the-head, you have to, find an overall style and tone that leans on and magnifies Amano's designs.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything has to be bleeding edge and beyond epic from a graphical standpoint.

The Link's Awakening remake didn't take the FFVII Remake path, and it was still beloved and sold millions.

FFVII was a cultural milestone in gaming and very few games could actually justify the way they're going all-in on the remake. FFVI does not share its legacy, and would not make enough money back to justify what it would cost to do it in the FFVII style.

And again, it's not like Square would just plug FFVI sprites into Octopath and call it a day. The game would get a budget and be made to look good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything has to be bleeding edge and beyond epic from a graphical standpoint.

The Link's Awakening remake didn't take the FFVII Remake path, and it was still beloved and sold millions.

FFVII was a cultural milestone in gaming and very few games could actually justify the way they're going all-in on the remake. FFVI does not share its legacy, and would not make enough money back to justify what it would cost to do it in the FFVII style.

And again, it's not like Square would just plug FFVI sprites into Octopath and call it a day. The game would get a budget and be made to look good.

Octopath DOESN'T look good, though. It would look even worse on 4K or 5K TVs and the next generation of consoles, too. That kind of visual style DOES NOT WORK on a macro-scale. The more you stretch out low-detail textures like that, the shittier they look, and the more detailed your textures get, the more incongruous sprites start to look when taped on top of them.

There's no way to make it work short of just having the ENTIRE GAME be hand-drawn art.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath DOESN'T look good, though. It would look even worse on 4K or 5K TVs and the next generation of consoles, too. That kind of visual style DOES NOT WORK on a macro-scale. The more you stretch out low-detail textures like that, the shittier they look, and the more detailed your textures get, the more incongruous sprites start to look when taped on top of them.

There's no way to make it work short of just having the ENTIRE GAME be hand-drawn art.

This is a value judgment, so stop throwing around absolutes to such an extreme degree. The Octopath style appeals to a ton of people, and giving it a higher budget for better assets and more varied locales would be appealing to many.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's ridiculous to be so definitive about the fact that it IS unequivocally bad and can never be made to look good.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice, true, but if S.E tried to remake it while starting from octopath style, they would probably want to iterate another time on the artstyle to give it a more distinct personality.

Also, dang this thread has some hyperbolic takes.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017

wtf

I don't know.. From my play of FFVI, Kefka came off as mentally off. Perhaps it was just the English script and it being over 20 years since my last play, but those gifs of him isn't OOC to me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have part 1: World of Balance and Part 2: World of Ruin

A better version of this

I'd rather see the detailed snow storms of Narshe and Vector like a proper magical city where you can really look around, and the magitick armour actually look imposing and like metal monsters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is a value judgment, so stop throwing around absolutes to such an extreme degree. The Octopath style appeals to a ton of people, and giving it a higher budget for better assets and more varied locales would be appealing to many.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's ridiculous to be so definitive about the fact that it IS unequivocally bad and can never be made to look good.

Again, this is a technical problem. Super high-detail assets and crunchy sprites look terrible mashed together, especially at 4K. The higher the resolution of your screen gets the more out of place the sprites are going to look overlaid on top of it.

You have to look at this from a PS5 perspective, not just the Switch's tiny portable screen.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Ever since I saw the reveal for the Trials of Mana remake I've been dreaming of FF6 getting that treatment. Such a perfect 3D imaging of the SNES world, it's stunning how well it retained the art style providing a strongly nostalgic reimaging, already a huge fan of SD3 I was swooning hard.

Heck while we're at it might as well do up Chrono Trigger for the SNES holy trinity of Square RPGs