• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think TLOU2 is the most next gen game we have seen footage right now, so I think it is a good point of reference for what we could expect!

It just looks absurd. The animations are simply a generation ahead of anything else in the industry.

Oct 25, 2017
Better face details than Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2, next gen will start this year.

0f35938a4fad56a409e3f6f1d65c2f1141967ded.jpg

All in glorious 4K 60FPS :o

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I wonder how the more casual audience will react if next gen isn't the huge leap they are accustomed to.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Naah, it looks like a super refined Uncharted 4 (which is). I was watching videos from Uncharted 4 and I had forgotten how technically awesome that game is. TLOU2 does not seem that advanced if you think it will be released 3 or 4 years after U4 (even more with their new engine/new animation engine).

The animation in TLOU2 is a gigantic leap from Uncharted 4.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'll know the Next Generation is here when doors don't open in both directions in 99% of the games because the door frame and hinges are detailed enough that it would look stupid if they did. This is one of my pet peeves about games that otherwise strive for a pretty high level of realism.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Something i was thinking about is ... We say games like TLOU2 or Cyberpunk should show the starting point for next gen but..
With teh technological stagnation, i fear budgets in games are going to have more impact than tech. What i mean is, concretly, TLOU2 has (remember that guy analyzing the trailer ?) crazy animation transitions that basically took forever to do and tons of people, Cyberpunk surely has a giant team. Those games look SUPER good, cgi level at times.
With the kind of gpu upgrade we'll have, i don't think a smaller budget game will be able to look better, just with more powerful tech. It'll need the same type of budget to. So not a lot of games like that will look better before the big AAA projects hits. I would think.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Its about as relevant as a random offline cg trailer done by blur
its as relevant as using current gen titles, Engine demos and unreleased games that have most likely been canceled.

but you dont hear me complaining about that, everyone is just having a discussion of what could be. No one knows what the games will look like, we dont even know how the boxes will look like lol.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Something i was thinking about is ... We say games like TLOU2 or Cyberpunk should show the starting point for next gen but..
With teh technological stagnation, i fear budgets in games are going to have more impact than tech. What i mean is, concretly, TLOU2 has (remember that guy analyzing the trailer ?) crazy animation transitions that basically took forever to do and tons of people, Cyberpunk surely has a giant team. Those games look SUPER good, cgi level at times.
With the kind of gpu upgrade we'll have, i don't think a smaller budget game will be able to look better, just with more powerful tech. It'll need the same type of budget to. So not a lot of games like that will look better before the big AAA projects hits. I would think.
oh we wont see what next gen is fully capable until we are having this same thread about the PS6 and Xbox 5 generation, by then multiple AAA titles would have released and gotten the most out of the machines like we are now with games like Cyberpunk 2077 and RDR2.

At the start of the gen tho we did see a noticeable bump tho to smaller titles but I agree to really see the new machines shine budget will continue to rise like it is now and we will have to wait for the big pubs to release the new games.
(Launch games are great and all but I mean compare the best looking launch games to the best looking end of life cycle games and its pretty incredible just how much devs can get out of a machine)

Feb 10, 2018
Once again people are underestimating a new gen.
I remember people saying we won't get star wars 1313 graphics this gen.

However the leap will be smaller because of diminishing returns.

But things like this in VR should be possible next gen.

Skip to 1hr43m

Epics tech demos have been a pretty good indicator in the past, so I think there recent graphics demos are a good bet.
One thing that is interesting is that UE4 is able to produce far better visuals then what is possible on x1/ps4, then again I suppose UE3 did aswell.

For me, graphics are good enough on the mid gens.
I hope devs focus more on world interactivity, world + Npc realism. We have a long way to go, but these things will make a game just as immersive as more realistic graphics.

Last edited:

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
We don't even know if this actually runs like this on a single 2080Ti, Nvidia hasn't released the demo.

Anyone expecting graphics like this out of next gen consoles is gonna be crushed.
looking at the environment I feel like we could do better now already without the real time raytracing.

Doubt we will get that on Console tho atleast not anytime before the PS5 Pro type upgrades of next gen and even then it will take a great hit on the hardware like it does now on PC.
This could only run on next gen PC hardware obviously. Console graphics will look like TLOU2 hopefully.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's going to be the same as it is now except on pc high settings. I wouldn't expect anything to blow your mind.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I remember folks saying the leap from last gen to this one wouldn't be that noticeable and people claiming games looked last gen early on. It's going to be better.

My eye is on Gears 5 since the XB1X is the lead platform. I'd imagine next gen will be a step above that.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Gotta remember that better graphics cost more money and time. Plus diminishing returns. Plus Moores law is starting to die.

You might see a somewhat noticeable jump on AAA games, but otherwise all we are gonna see is 4K and more visual effects that don't cost much to implement.

I was in my late teens when PS4 came out, and I was pretty unimpressed with the jump from PS3 to PS4. Each jump is less impressive than the last.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
We do this "next gen cant impress" song and dance before the start of every gen until we see those next gen showpieces and everyone gets excited all over again.

PS4 and XB1 were already outdated back in 2013, there's no reason to think new consoles launching in 2020 won't be exponentially more powerful.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Once again people are underestimating a new gen.
I remember people saying we won't get star wars 1313 graphics this gen.

However the leap will be smaller because of diminishing returns.

But things like this in VR should be possible next gen.

Skip to 1hr43m

Epics tech demos have been a pretty good indicator in the past, so I think there recent graphics demos are a good bet.
One thing that is interesting is that UE4 is able to produce far better visuals then what is possible on x1/ps4, then again I suppose UE3 did aswell.

For me, graphics are good enough on the mid gens.
I hope devs focus more on world interactivity, world + Npc realism. We have a long way to go, but these things will make a game just as immersive as more realistic graphics.

Im actually most excited for the future of VR. not because I think the next console and PC advancements will be boring but VR is something different, that shit is fucking insane when it can remove you from the world.

Oculus Quest being aimed at Games AND being a wireless all in one device is nuts (with a higher resolution display and tracking all done obviously on the same headset) and I kinda wanna grab one for myself even tho I have a Rift but man...when Rift 2 gets announced (maybe even this year at OC6) I will be so fucking ready. Ill upgrade my PC for that shit without hesitation.

if my excitment to see the next Xbox and Playstation is at a 10 then VR has me at like a fucking 11 lol

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
We do this "next gen cant impress" song and dance before the start of every gen until we see those next gen showpieces and everyone gets excited all over again.

PS4 and XB1 were already outdated back in 2013, there's no reason to think new consoles launching in 2020 won't be exponentially more powerful.

people say it every time and every time those same people get that pre order locked in for day one just as excited for everyone else.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will look like cyberpunk but cyberpunk won't look like that. Cd project will end up downgrading the shit out of it just like they did with witcher 3 when they changed the entire renderer.

Current gen consoles just can't run the game at that level of fidelity and they won't just make it a next gen only game.

Feb 10, 2018
Im actually most excited for the future of VR. not because I think the next console and PC advancements will be boring but VR is something different, that shit is fucking insane when it can remove you from the world.

Oculus Quest being aimed at Games AND being a wireless all in one device is nuts (with a higher resolution display and tracking all done obviously on the same headset) and I kinda wanna grab one for myself even tho I have a Rift but man...when Rift 2 gets announced (maybe even this year at OC6) I will be so fucking ready. Ill upgrade my PC for that shit without hesitation.

if my excitment to see the next Xbox and Playstation is at a 10 then VR has me at like a fucking 11 lol

Yeah I'm more excited for stand alone headsets. My hope is that real world scanning and environment mapping will solve the sickness issue.
I think VR will be prime around 2028 when the tech is good enough and price is low enough so tens of millions will buy.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no reason to think the next gen consoles won't themselves be 'outdated' as well when they come out.

We always imagine the highest possibilities for new console hardware, but factually they're limited by having to keep effective costs so the companies can actually sell the damn things at a respectable price.

Looking at what high end PCs can currently accomplish is meaningless in reference to new consoles.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could be as wowed by next gen graphics as the day I first saw Dreamcast and PS2 games in magazines.

Jump from PS1 to PS2 was mind blowing.

Hope to see something soon from next gen. Getting excited.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
That's 2 "one-and-done" threads I've clicked on in a row. Ray Tracing is next gen, wait for Metro Exodus and Remake 2 (just around the corner) for some some single player games but you can check out BFV which imo is proper next gen atm.

Vulcan Logic

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
We already saw them kinda, Star Citizen, probably Cyberpunk 2077, Harry Potter, i also question Ghost of Tsushima being a PS4 title with that draw distance & foliage.
PS5's GPU will be a small step up from what Xbox One X has.
Yeah Tlou 2 as well I think, it's likely why Sony is not at E3
You can't show PS5 games before you announce the hardware

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
OP, you should google Project Awakening. I'm pretty sure that's a next gen game.

Best looking beard, far better than Kratos' foil beard.
Based on the graphics in the trailer from E3, I think this is from a pre-rendered cutscene. The actual trailer doesn't look anything near this.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

They will be more powerful than what is on the consoles on the market now, but will be less powerful than GPUs currently on the market. That's how it always works.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It will look like cyberpunk but cyberpunk won't look like that. Cd project will end up downgrading the shit out of it just like they did with witcher 3 when they changed the entire renderer.

Current gen consoles just can't run the game at that level of fidelity and they won't just make it a next gen only game.
I think it will look like that, maybe even better, on PC atleast. The gameplay shows alot of streaming and shadow glitches which makes it look like a real build. The engine has been upgraded to RED Engine 4 and they've reworked everything from animations, lighting and NPC generation to name a few. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I bet many early next-gen games will look worse than current gen games like sony first party titles or rdr2.