• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't think next gen games will look significantly different. most likely the biggest change will be playing at 4K as standard (no upscaling) with a rock solid 30fps or even 60fps. ray tracing is too far away for consoles. that is probably the only major technology that is on PCs right now. We'll see other quality of other visuals improve but nothing major.

games will become more complex in other ways...larger maps, more detail, better animations etc

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I think the first trailer of Horizon (Zero Dawn) 2 will give us a good point of reference.
Big budget, competent studio, competent engine and it should be one of the first major exclusives developed for a single next gen platform.

I don't think any current gen open world game will top RDR2, and TLoU2 will probably end up being the best looking current gen game when all is said and done.
But I don't know how big of a jump we should expect visually come next gen. I don't think image quality improvements will be very noticeable(coming from X and Pro) and I also dont't expect 60FPS to become a new standard in all kinds of games, especially not big budget single player titles. But I think physics, motion in the world, reactiveness/interactivity, volumetric effects and many other things will be used a lot more and at higher quality. Draw distances will expand, facial rendering will improve. And especially animation quality will see significant improvements.

However, a lot of these things currently aren't exactly bottlenecked by hardware power as much as they are bottlenecked by budget and specifically development time and man power. So I think that the visual disparity between big budget titles and smaller titles will grow larger. Especially in areas like animation and the overall quality of details.
It will be very tough for developers to bring these new consoles to their limits, because you actually have to create all the stuff you want them to render and that is A LOT of work. But on the other hand, this could mean that more devs rather decide to go with 60FPS instead of spending a lot more time and budget on maxing out the rendering budget at 30FPS.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've never been a graphics or tech guy but I enjoy these discussions nonetheless................it's great going into next gen without a care in the world about what games will look like though because they are gonna look fantastic to me regardless.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Well to be fair, i don't think any next gen game comes close to Watch Dogs 2012 or Star Wars 1313, it's easy to get excited when devs show off what we won't actually get.
I was watching that Watch Dogs reveal earlier this week, and man that does not look great anymore. Lighting and animation were not great, and dear god that aliasing.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
However, a lot of these things currently aren't exactly bottlenecked by hardware power as much as they are bottlenecked by budget and specifically development time and man power. So I think that the visual disparity between big budget titles and smaller titles will grow larger. Especially in areas like animation and the overall quality of details.
It will be very tough for developers to bring these new consoles to their limits, because you actually have to create all the stuff you want them to render and that is A LOT of work. But on the other hand, this could mean that more devs rather decide to go with 60FPS instead of spending a lot more time and budget on maxing out the rendering budget at 30FPS.

This. We're already reaching a point where its not hardware, but the cost of actually making the most of said hardware that will act as a bottleneck. As you say, this is going to perhaps lead to more 60fps titles, but I think more likely it'll lead to much more native 4K experiences. Given the refresh consoles are all about that 4k life, it would be a really bad look for a next gen console to release without that same focus. I think next gen games will look a lot like current gen games at native 4K (obviously not the ones that already run at that resolution), as this seems to be one of the only humanly possible ways of actually making use of the extra rendering power.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Making impressive looking games are getting more expensive but there's still lots of way developpers can improve graphics without spending more money. They can improve the draw distance, the numbers of NPCs, lighting, reflections...

Hair is an easy way to improve visual fidelity.

Improving clothing physics could be great too!

If PS5 and Xbox 2 are 12tflops or more, it will be the same kind of jump in gpu power that we got this generation.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
With motion matching and the increased visual fidelity I want the next gen assassin's creed to look like this:
BlushingRelievedGrouper-max-1mb.gif

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope for a huge upgrade in image quality, either by smart algorithms or like Nvidia's approach via a trained network.
I expect a big jump in terms of AI and hope for more freedom in interaction with the world you play in, soaking you more into the world. And please don't take away controls from me for whatever reason just to tell a story...
Besides that, I don't know what's going on on the "scientific" part of things. Things not only get better because devs know the hardware better but they also find better, faster and smarter ways of solving problems that before too to long to be implemented in a game.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats so special about Harry Potter? lol

Look like it can be from this gen. Anthem look better than that

Lighting/Particle/Spell/AI

Of course it's blurry off screen footage so people might not get the differences.

It's also rumored to be cross gen so this is probably just the next gen version.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Making impressive looking games are getting more expensive but there's still lots of way developpers can improve graphics without spending more money. They can improve the draw distance, the numbers of NPCs, lighting, reflections...

If PS5 and Xbox 2 are 12tflops or more, it will be the same kind of jump in gpu power that we got this generation.

I would also like to see improved cloth physics but it needs to be done right and not overdone. Cloth needs to be realistic relative to its material. Not everything should move like silk.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I hope we will see the Watchdogs and 1313 like games at E3 this year. Those games gave us an idea last gen of what Next Gen - so the current gen - would look like.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Like a high end PC game 1-2 years before next gen consoles come out, if the pattern holds. Look for any big release that struggles even on PS4 Pro and XB1X and you'll have your answer.

Feb 8, 2018
Gotta remember that better graphics cost more money and time. Plus diminishing returns. Plus Moores law is starting to die.

You might see a somewhat noticeable jump on AAA games, but otherwise all we are gonna see is 4K and more visual effects that don't cost much to implement.

I was in my late teens when PS4 came out, and I was pretty unimpressed with the jump from PS3 to PS4. Each jump is less impressive than the last.

Don't know about that. Killzone: Shadowfall, Knack and Driveclub (launch or launch window titles) all looked way better than PS3 TLOU imo.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I think among game developers, being able to animate a character putting on a shirt in real time is considered the true Holy Grain.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

There still isn't anything on consoles that matches that Killzone 2 trailer in real-time. I'm still screenshots...yeah, but not those varied animations and AI actions of so many things on screen at once. Not those dynamic explosions and particle effects.

I'm hoping the jump in CPU power next gen gets us closer to that demo we saw 13 years ago.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure, we probably will have to wait till next gen to actually see it. Remember at the beginning of this gen where people thought this gen was going to be a bunch of uprezed last gen games. TLOU remastered got outclassed regularly (outside of animations) once this gen started getting its stride. I assume the same will be with nextgen. A bunch of better versions of the pro/x1 versions in the beginning then games blowing them out the water.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
There still isn't anything on consoles that matches that Killzone 2 trailer in real-time. I'm still screenshots...yeah, but not those varied animations and AI actions of so many things on screen at once. Not those dynamic explosions and particle effects.

I'm hoping the jump in CPU power next gen gets us closer to that demo we saw 13 years ago.
That trailer looks terrible now.

If we are gonna be impressed by trailers not matching gameplay, BFV raised the bar on that front.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With mid gen refresh, I expect minor improvement.

I do expect LOD will be pushed back and more stable presentation and performance and some sort of faux Ray Tracing thing like checkerboard 4K, by either MS or Sony.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I just want 1080 or 1440/60 as a default. That's it. I'll be completely fine with no more serious upgrades for my PC.

Also, better PS VR.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
4K/8K/12K No one cares when Fifa is all that makes number 1 each year.

Get on my level bro and realise VR is the tech that's More important than a crappy resolution boost for a TV/console

RT will be the new bloom from yester gen, Watch all the cheap alternatives we get in games to give us dem reflections

4K/8K/12K No one cares when Fifa is all that makes number 1 each year.

Get on my level bro and realise VR is the tech that's More important than a crappy resolution boost for a TV/console

RT will be the new bloom from yester gen, Watch all the cheap alternatives we get in games to give us dem reflections

I mean. I get what youre saying about Fifa.

However, Raytracing is the end goal. Its not "bloom". Far from it.

And I am all in with VR. I have a VR room in my house, with a Vive and a PSVR. Also Plan on buying a Vive Pro Eye.

VR is the future, but resolution and ray tracing are both super important goal posts to reach with VR. So you should be on board too. The slightest bit of resolution boost or supersampling is huge in VR even now.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean. I get what youre saying about Fifa.

However, Raytracing is the end goal. Its not "bloom". Far from it.

And I am all in with VR. I have a VR room in my house, with a Vive and a PSVR. Also Plan on buying a Vive Pro Eye.

VR is the future, but resolution and ray tracing are both super important goal posts to reach with VR. So you should be on board too. The slightest bit of resolution boost or supersampling is huge in VR even now.

Very true sir, It's a big gen for VR coming up, This year we get the Quest which is standalone and huge for appeal. I'm already gonna get Vive Pro too. FOV rendering is a great step forward.

Maybe RT will have ripple effects for all of gaming let alone VR. We just need info now on these new consoles! Exciting year all round really.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I don't think people realize the jump will be larger than most realize. Mid gen has done absolutely nothing expect provide better resolution/frame rate to games already based on <2TF machines. Nothing special or unique. Next gen will crush base and mid gen machines alike.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Mid gen has done absolutely nothing expect provide better resolution/frame rate to games already based on <2TF machines.

I think this is a detail people are forgetting.

If developers were allowed to make games designed from the ground up on Pro and X they'd probably look significantly better than games look on Pro and X now. So when next-gen drops, the leap as far as the minimum spec goes will be all the way from the base current-gen machines. How big that'll be remains to be seen.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
That trailer looks terrible now.

If we are gonna be impressed by trailers not matching gameplay, BFV raised the bar on that front.

Lol I remember I got bitched at for being negative by a lot of people here when that trailer hit and I said the actual gameplay would look absolutely nothing like that. That the footage was littered with animations and effects that reek of being pre-rendered.

I love BFV and play it often, but man, it's crazy people still fall for that stuff.

Here's hoping PS5 can pull that trailer off in real time!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think the majority of Japanese games will not get much of a boost at all beyond resolution because they will want to get Nintendo Switch sales too.

Beyond that I think the next gen will seem like a mediocre upgrade simply due to the mid gen refreshes we got with Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro and I guess Nintendo Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I think next-gen should be more than just improved visual fidelity and "4K/60FPS", it should be about advanced A.I. applications and how you can interact with the game's world.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine the best looking games on console now, now imagine them running at 60fps and looking a little better.

Next gen is about the CPU being better...imagine what rockstar can do if they were able to target a real CPU, GTAVI will be bonkers.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I think this is a detail people are forgetting.

If developers were allowed to make games designed from the ground up on Pro and X they'd probably look significantly better than games look on Pro and X now. So when next-gen drops, the leap as far as the minimum spec goes will be all the way from the base current-gen machines. How big that'll be remains to be seen.

Precisely. I don't know why people are thinking otherwise.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Precisely. I don't know why people are thinking otherwise.

Folks never learn. I still remember being told "Witcher 2 graphics at best on PS4". Your mid-gen console or high end PC running XB1/PS4 games at Ultra Settings isn't going to be a close approximation of what to expect from next gen.

When Horizon 2 gets unveiled, faces will melt guaranteed.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Folks never learn. I still remember being told "Witcher 2 graphics at best on PS4". Your mid-gen console or high end PC running XB1/PS4 games at Ultra Settings isn't going to be a close approximation of what to expect from next gen.

When Horizon 2 gets unveiled, faces will melt guaranteed.

PC Witcher 2, PC Crysis 2 (and PC Crysis 1 to be honest), PC Battlefield 3, and PC Medal of Honor Warfighter are comparable to PS4 launch games mostly. Compare that to Uncharted 4. I think it's possible there will be a similar difference between Last of Us II and the first PS5-exclusive games.

Feb 10, 2018

This was made using a gtx titan X, which is like a overclocked Rx590

So next gen should be able to do these visuals at 4k

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
PC Witcher 2, PC Crysis 2 (and PC Crysis 1 to be honest), PC Battlefield 3, and PC Medal of Honor Warfighter are comparable to PS4 launch games mostly. Compare that to Uncharted 4. I think it's possible there will be a similar difference between Last of Us II and the first PS5-exclusive games.

Maybe if the first PS5 exclusives are Knack 3 and uh, I don't know, something else as mediocre as Knack. :p

God of War: Ascension is the best looking PS3 game to me and there was a pretty clear difference between that and Killzone: Shadow Fall. I expect there to be a similar leap with early PS5 exclusives.