• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
By this time last-gen we had Unreal's Samaritan demo which turned out to be an excellent representation of what we could expect current-gen games to look like. Batman: Arkham Knight actually hit that level of fidelity and even past it in some areas. Are there are tech demos or anything that represents what next-gen games can look like?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly? The GPU difference between this gen and next gen aren't going to be major. You'll see more games hit a native 4k, and probably some more games hitting 60FPS because of a much better CPU and (I assume) Sony at least doubling down on VR. If it wasn't for the weak CPUs in the current gen, I wouldn't be shocked if "next-gen" games could continue to be run on current systems with reduced fidelity.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
That leaked Harry Potter footage is next-gen footage. I'd say it's generally representative of improvements in physics, particle effects, and lighting we're likely to see going forward.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am guessing physics and interactions will play a larger part since the CPU won't be total crap anymore.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
YFFP314.gif

I'm only half serious.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Somewhere a slight step above The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk.

This generational shift is not the 8x or higher leap in GPU performance we've historically expected. The death of Moore's Law is in effect super hard for consoles.

Especially since 4K is all the rage now. The leap was made too soon imo.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'm thinking the density Unity's Book of the Dead demo, but bigger scale world and with characters that outshine the environment.

Today even in the best looking AAA games characters from up close get more attention to detail any single environmental prop, so I imagine that will stay the norm.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
To most people it has to cross that uncanny valley threshold I guess.

PUBG is something I would call a '''next-gen experience''', a complete increase of scale for a multiplayer shooter (Yes, MAG and Planetside existed but MAG's map design was incredibly small in comparison and Planetside is an MMO.)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
we are getting diminishing returns in terms of visual fidelity at this point...i'll rather they use the additional computing power to boost framerate and AI....

having motion matching animation ala last of us 2 and For Honor seems to be what many AAA level games will be going for in the future...

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Honestly? The GPU difference between this gen and next gen aren't going to be major. You'll see more games hit a native 4k, and probably some more games hitting 60FPS because of a much better CPU and (I assume) Sony at least doubling down on VR. If it wasn't for the weak CPUs in the current gen, I wouldn't be shocked if "next-gen" games could continue to be run on current systems with reduced fidelity.
most games will opt for 30 FPS with increased graphical fidelity. the games hitting 60 fps will be the same type as this gen (competitive, FPS, etc).

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
We already saw them kinda, Star Citizen, probably Cyberpunk 2077, Harry Potter, i also question Ghost of Tsushima being a PS4 title with that draw distance & foliage.
PS5's GPU will be a small step up from what Xbox One X has.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Naah, it looks like a super refined Uncharted 4 (which is). I was watching videos from Uncharted 4 and I had forgotten how technically awesome that game is. TLOU2 does not seem that advanced if you think it will be released 3 or 4 years after U4 (even more with their new engine/new animation engine).

I mean, most next-gen stuff isn't going to be much of a leap over that either.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
We do this "next gen cant impress" song and dance before the start of every gen until we see those next gen showpieces and everyone gets excited all over again.

PS4 and XB1 were already outdated back in 2013, there's no reason to think new consoles launching in 2020 won't be exponentially more powerful.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We do this "next gen cant impress" song and dance before the start of every gen until we see those next gen showpieces and everyone gets excited all over again.

PS4 and XB1 were already outdated back in 2013, there's no reason to think new consoles launching in 2020 won't be exponentially more powerful.
Yup. Same shit, different gen. Can't wait for the "death of the console!" dance to start again, too.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Well to be fair, i don't think any next gen game comes close to Watch Dogs 2012 or Star Wars 1313, it's easy to get excited when devs show off what we won't actually get.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Good question...

Nothing announced/upcoming looks better than what I'd expect current gen hardware to produce so I'm hoping to be wowed when we finally see something.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Well to be fair, i don't think any next gen game comes close to Watch Dogs 2012 or Star Wars 1313, it's easy to get excited when devs show off what we won't actually get.
I thought Drive Club and Second Son looked impressive at the original PS4 reveal, and what we got was very very close to those.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Unfortunate that the early next gen showcases like Watch Dogs and Deep Down weren't accurate representations. Even Epics original UE4 demo was downgraded.

I'm hoping for advancements in areas like AI, physics, lighting and environmental effects

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Tlou2.

Honestly. Looks like a Ps5 game.
Might say that now, until we actually see the PS5 first party games.

TLOU also looked quite a leap ahead of the prior Uncharted games, even though Uncharted was a looker as well.
Unfortunate that the early next gen showcases like Watch Dogs and Deep Down weren't accurate representations. Even Epics original UE4 demo was downgraded.

I'm hoping for advancements in areas like AI, physics, lighting and environmental effects
I think that's what we'll get

I'm very glad it's likely we will not see a large resolution increase. 4K or slightly higher internal resolution will likely be the same upper limit for next gen.

The CPU upgrades will be so very welcome too. AMD Ryzen and Vega/whatever is next are going to be great for next-gen.

Even for the inevitable PS5 Pro I'm glad that resolution bump will not be as much of an issue, so more GPU power can go into effects, shaders, particles, physics, animation, etc.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
For photorealism, it might start about last of us 2 level and go up from there. That's not going to be much of a graphical hook, though. for something that makes people sit up and say wow, I'm guessing a lot more collision, animation, and background activity. Should burn those extra CPU cycles till we get down to a nice cinematic 30fps.

Other than the physics and collision, maybe some next level VR games.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i expect early next/cross gen games to look like the halo 6/death stranding/cyberpunk trailers. book of the dead probly also closeish. it would be great if the animation quality in TLOU 2 became common place but i dont expect that for quite some time

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minor and hard to note, especially compared to the graphics juggernauts of this gen like GoW or RDR2.

Feb 10, 2018
Given how Horizon and God of War looked this gen, I think we could reach this pretty easily next gen. Density of objects will be a big part of this level of realism.
That demo can run on pro @1080p and on the X1x @ 1440p.

Will be easily achievable on next even with A. I and all the other stuff that is in a game.

Mar 23, 2018
It's probably not going to be on the graphics, at least not that much, but on the amount of stuff going on, like a city populated with complex NPCs or physics... at least that's what I'm expecting. Anyway, I'm expecting textures and lighting to become the most noticeable change next gen regarding graphics. The change from last gen lighting to this gen's was cool.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
This game looks like next gen to me.

Like usual tho when next gen games actually come we will be blown away.