• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I honestly don't think it looks that great?

file
Kait and Marcus always looked weird in that trailer, JD and Del are the better looking, i think thats because JD and Del look like their mocap actors, while Marcus and Kait are handcrafted.
Just look at JD, he looks better than anything seen in Cyberpunk, TLOU2 and DMCV

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Gotta remember that better graphics cost more money and time. Plus diminishing returns. Plus Moores law is starting to die.

You might see a somewhat noticeable jump on AAA games, but otherwise all we are gonna see is 4K and more visual effects that don't cost much to implement.

I was in my late teens when PS4 came out, and I was pretty unimpressed with the jump from PS3 to PS4. Each jump is less impressive than the last.

You must have forgotten about the elevator load times and blurry ass graphics. There was a huge difference.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Yeah I'm more excited for stand alone headsets. My hope is that real world scanning and environment mapping will solve the sickness issue.
I think VR will be prime around 2028 when the tech is good enough and price is low enough so tens of millions will buy.
that would roughly be what gen 3/4? yeah i expect them to be pretty damn good by then considering where we already are in 2019.

Feb 10, 2018
that would roughly be what gen 3/4? yeah i expect them to be pretty damn good by then considering where we already are in 2019.

Everythings connected.
The tech and price have to be good enough so people buy it and then devs will invest, and make lots of games for it.
I hope in about 10yrs there will be Similer investment by pubs as traditional consoles.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More detail here and there, better shadows and lighting, and jaggies should be all but extinct. 60fps should be more common again too like it was in the PS2 era.

Deleted member 32101

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I recently upgraded my PC from an Intel core i7 3820 and a GTX 680 to an Intel core i7 8700k and an RTX 2080 TI.

I had the old one for 6 years.
The CPU is barely twice as fast in optimized settings.

The GPU is about 6x to 8x as fast in 4K (bandwidth bottleneck for 680), about 2x to 4x as fast in 1080p.

While in theoretical peak performance, the speedup is 13.4 TFLOPs (2080 TI) / 3.1 TFLOPS (GTX 680) = 4.2x or something.

Remember that a PS4 has a theoretical peak of 1.8 TFLOPs, PS4 Pro has 4.2 TFLOPs, XBOX ONE has 1.3 TFLOPs and XBOX ONE X has 6 TFLOPs.

So. What's the take away here?

1. If you only had an XBOX ONE the entire generation, you can expect 6x to 10x theoretical peak performance increase.

2. If you already switched to XBOX ONE X, it will be max twice as fast theoretically.

3. Expect better physics, AI and simulation in general because the current console CPUs are unbelievably weak. They already were low end mobile CPUs when the consoles released. That will most likely be a big improvement.

4. Don't expect raytracing yet. That will take 10 years to standardize.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
4K/60FPS becomes the standard.
Higher poly counts.
Higher res textures.
Longer draw distances.
Higher LOD's for distant objects.
More NPC's / denser crowds.
Better physics.
Better lighting/reflections.
Better AI.

It will mostly be quality of life improvements but I'm sure some devs will design some feature that is too difficult/expensive to implement in the current gen.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
VR is my main interest now, TV gaming will still look great, But I'm all in with VR, When that thing gets the power behind it and ease of use, Things wont be the same again.

This year alone we're already getting standalone headsets, HTC just announced their pro( FOV rendering). PSVR2 will be much better paired with the PS5.

TV games will feel ancient in comparison, No matter how good they will look. Being inside the gaming world, Is leaps and bounds better than panning the camera on a flat screen( Let alone miniature 22" monitors)

Oct 28, 2017
we are getting diminishing returns in terms of visual fidelity at this point...i'll rather they use the additional computing power to boost framerate and AI....

having motion matching animation ala last of us 2 and For Honor seems to be what many AAA level games will be going for in the future...

Actually, I think we are not far from breaking the plateau (again).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Games already can look pretty damn amazing, so I'm expecting a smaller leap in graphics but the extra power used for native 4k resolution, 4k textures, 60fps, better physics, better AI, better LOD, better AA / AF, ect.

Some exclusive games will probably show a bigger leap in graphics, like they normally do but I'd be happy with a smaller graphical leap and more refinements / higher graphical settings.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Probably since the consoles won't be able to support something as GPU intensive as ray tracing, coupled with demand for higher resolutions, larger and higher performing games, next gen is basically going to look an awful like this generation for at least three years.

Then coding will get better, new techniques developed and then maybe more intensive effects may be able to run somewhat.

But unless you're asking for a $1000+ console we're not seeing a massive leap.

Oh apart from that one very linear, small area game that Sony use as a tech piece that looks amazing, runs around 30fps, and everyone expects every game on the system to look like it, but for at least three years nothing even comes close. But too late you've made the purchase, the PS5 Pro gets announced and you're left a broken man with a dead wallet as you hulk the corpse of the PS5 to the nearest trade in and get something a little more capable.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Running in 60fps would definitely be a step in the right direction for starters.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Next gen is already here if you try modern games on 144Hz 1440p .

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Naah, it looks like a super refined Uncharted 4 (which is). I was watching videos from Uncharted 4 and I had forgotten how technically awesome that game is. TLOU2 does not seem that advanced if you think it will be released 3 or 4 years after U4 (even more with their new engine/new animation engine).
This looks nothing like Uncharted 4

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
What next gen games are actively in development right now?

Halo Infinite is one I can think off.

The Final Fantasy guys will be all in for next gen at this point as well

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Star Citizen is the one that stands out to me.

Visions are amazing but also the scale of the game; being able to go from space to planet atmosphere and then a city on the ground is phenomenal technology.

Also the technology that sinks up your face in real life to your face on your avatar through a WebCam is truly NextGen.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I think we'll see a lot of cross gen games in the first year. Means visually enhanced versions of current gen games.
There will be some exclusives that show a significant improvement but there will be definitely a transition phase.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Naah, it looks like a super refined Uncharted 4 (which is). I was watching videos from Uncharted 4 and I had forgotten how technically awesome that game is. TLOU2 does not seem that advanced if you think it will be released 3 or 4 years after U4 (even more with their new engine/new animation engine).
It really doesn't look like a refined Uncharted 4. It looks a lot better. Vastly better. Naughty Dog has overhauled their engine, technology stack and all of their gameplay systems for this game. What I posted is from an NPC, and if the final game ends up achieving this amount of detail, it is more impressive than most anything I've seen in-game on any platform... and yes, it's an in-game shot. The primary characters (heck, and the game itself), are going to be a generation ahead:

Animation is what really will make games look next gen
It just looks absurd. The animations are simply a generation ahead of anything else in the industry.
Agree. The Last of Us Part II is going to animate like something out of the future.

Better face details than Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2, next gen will start this year.
Just look at JD, he looks better than anything seen in TLOU2
This is honestly not awfully impressive, and definitely not more impressive than TLoU Part II, I have no idea how you've come to that conclusion. The faces of Detroit: Become Human's primary characters are better than this. Kratos is more detailed than this.

Last edited:

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Probably since the consoles won't be able to support something as GPU intensive as ray tracing, coupled with demand for higher resolutions, larger and higher performing games, next gen is basically going to look an awful like this generation for at least three years.

Then coding will get better, new techniques developed and then maybe more intensive effects may be able to run somewhat.

But unless you're asking for a $1000+ console we're not seeing a massive leap.

Oh apart from that one very linear, small area game that Sony use as a tech piece that looks amazing, runs around 30fps, and everyone expects every game on the system to look like it, but for at least three years nothing even comes close. But too late you've made the purchase, the PS5 Pro gets announced and you're left a broken man with a dead wallet as you hulk the corpse of the PS5 to the nearest trade in and get something a little more capable.
FwX9nIqeufbaKUN0FJsPfducG8rf7NEFfjCjRIEtbREQP2RLX9gPBv9sinNu6sKiMhvYXeGIsr3Lzpa4G4nNq-VpW_I3ZWigosqszY4q=w467-h315-nc

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think next gen will look THAT much better on a surface level. Current games already look hella good (GoW, SM, TLoU2, etc). But they will have higher density of detail, better draw distance, run at native 4K, etc.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
For me an ideal next generation game would be a wireless VR game in 4K with wider fov and eye tracking, available for a home console unit.

But I guess it'll end up being a slightly better looking first person shooter or third person open world game. Bleh.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hopefully they have a draw distance further than 3 feet. Would love for grass, foilage, and shadows to not be constantly popping up as I walk. Would also be cool to actually see things in the distance in all these open world games.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
For me an ideal next generation game would be a wireless VR game in 4K with wider fov and eye tracking, available for a home console unit.

But I guess it'll end up being a slightly better looking first person shooter or third person open world game. Bleh.

Yeah, same here.
I'm just not interested in classic gaming advances anymore. They're fine - I guess - but it doesn't excite me anymore.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but i seriously doubt anything will have that level of detail and realism not to mention scale that impresses me more than RDR2 for some time.
It will happen pretty soon after next-gen is released. I'm thinking a year into the cycle. Rdr 2 is impressive but next-gen will deliver better detail and realism 100%

Nov 1, 2017
I dont think the leap from this gen to next gen is going to be all that spectacular to be honest. We've definitely hit the point where graphics are already so good that its just going to be shinier and sharper. I would like 60 fps to fully become standard, i'm always much more impressed by that than something that looks a bit better than what came before. I played Forza Horizon 4 with the 60 fps option and was still blown away by the game and the HDR lighting in particular.

Good HDR has come close but nothing beats the jump from SD to HD.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tbh i'm just expecting something similar to this gen but 4k 60fps with some additional graphical niceties. more/higher frame buffer volumetric lighting etc. but i don't think we'll be seeing big night and day differences. especially since things like ray tracing will unlikely happen on consoles next gen.

i mean, the division just released a video showing the difference between the game on low and highest, and besides shadow detail it's largely the same.

so i guess the answer is refinements. the last of us 2 is the most impressive thing i've seen from any game on the horizon, regardless of the lack of stuff like ray tracing. if all games next gen looked that good, in 4k 60fps i'd be more than happy.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What next gen games are actively in development right now?

Halo Infinite is one I can think off.

The Final Fantasy guys will be all in for next gen at this point as well

i'd imagine any studio that released something in the last 2 years from sony is now working on next gen. either well into development (horizon: zero dawn 2) or pre-production (spider-man) i imagine quantic dream have something in the works too.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to have to rely on formulaic systems/engines more than ever.

I'm really hoping we see a reduced interest in 'bigger is better' and see tighter, more-detailed experiences. No game needs to have 27 regions of checklist material content for the sake of saying how many hours somebody can get out of a game.

I think people are downplaying the graphical leap - they will always get better. There are games released mid-late this gen that people couldn't have really pictured at the end of PS3.