• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The mid gen consoles have really muddied the waters. If you were to compare a standard xbox one to a next gen console the jump could potentially 8 x in tems of TF performance but we will be lucky to get something 3 to 4 times over an xbox one x IMO.

Feb 10, 2018
Fair enough. I go by my eyes.

Think about it, RDR2 has lots of detail, it's a Taylor made open world, I agree there won't be an open which is as detailed as RDR2 because it's time and budget that is required to make something like RDR2.

But for examples sake lets say guerilla make an exclusive killzone fps for the PS5 launch,
Lighting, polycount in characters and objects will just be on another level compared to RDR2 just because the dev will have so much more hardware power and resources.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I can't wait to be blown away with the first trailers. I want to drop my jaw like when I watched Killzone Shadow Fall trailer live. One of the best mind blowing trailers to start a gen.

Oct 30, 2017
I have a feeling the jump will be dissapointing.

The jump from PS3 to 4 was great looking back. Even looking at the tech advancements. The PS3 RAM was terrible and GPU improvement was crazy.

Next gen looking at speculation the RAM advancement isn't as much in comparison to last few gens. Same with GPU. The only thing that's getting a massive boost is CPU.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the jump will be dissapointing.

The jump from PS3 to 4 was great looking back. Even looking at the tech advancements. The PS3 RAM was terrible and GPU improvement was crazy.

Next gen looking at speculation the RAM advancement isn't as much in comparison to last few gens. Same with GPU. The only thing that's getting a massive boost is CPU.
I expect very little from next-gen as well. The days of massive jumps are over. Just look at the RAM jump from PS3 to PS4. 16X. 16X. You ain't getting no fucking 128GB of RAM on the PS5. Even 32 might be asking for much.

The CPU upgrade will be decent only because of how utterly miserable current console CPUs are, but gaming-wise on the PC space we have seen meager improvements from year to year on that front. We'll see how much of an upgrade can Sony and MS pack in a $400 box.

Oct 30, 2017
I expect very little from next-gen as well. The days of massive jumps are over. Just look at the RAM jump from PS3 to PS4. 16X. 16X. You ain't getting no fucking 128GB of RAM on the PS5. Even 32 might be asking for much.

The CPU upgrade will be decent only because of how utterly miserable current console CPUs are, but gaming-wise on the PC space we have seen meager improvements from year to year on that front. We'll see how much of an upgrade can Sony and MS pack in a $400 box.

I think we at a point where MS and Sony need to take a loss especially that they are making such a killing on Live and PSN.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think we will see a huge leap on draw distance, animation, physics, npc count and AI.
The newer CPU will make a hell of a improvement, and a updated GPU will make games hit 4k or close to that (i dont mind games in 1080p if they improve the areas i said)

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I hope that there's a push for longer draw distances on detail shadows and general distance lod improvements.
It's the thing that bugs me the most this gen.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Better face details than Cyberpunk 2077 and TLOU2, next gen will start this year.

0f35938a4fad56a409e3f6f1d65c2f1141967ded.jpg
That sounds like a stretch to me

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What next gen games are actively in development right now?

Halo Infinite is one I can think off.

The Final Fantasy guys will be all in for next gen at this point as well

Just making assumptions here but i think like you said, halo infinite will be a next gen game, as well as starfield, elder scrolls 6, i really wouldnt be surprised if cyber punk ends up skipping this gen either. Probably bet that ff7 remake is targeting next gen boxes as well, same with re8

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I just want performance to be ironed out and everything works better.

if you are expecting to be blown away by a 400 dollar console Morgan Freeman would like to say "good luck".

Dec 12, 2017
1. Honestly the best PS4 looking PS4 games look so incredible I'm not sure if I really need anything with greater fidelity. Spiderman's character model in the default suit is flawless, and I already can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 50-inch TV when I'm sitting at a normal viewing distance. I can BARELY tell the difference with HDR.

2. I have a feeling that greater visual fidelity than what we are currently getting with AAA games is going to be a limitation of time / manpower, not of power. RDR2 is the most technologically stunning game to date, and it took like 3,000 people 7 years to make it. I don't see how we are going to get worlds that are so much more realistic when the biggest AAA studios have to outsource to the Chinese to get all the assets done in time.

I'd say let's get the current technology to a point where we can consistently do 60fps, and pump out these games a little quicker, then we can talk about an unnecessary jump forward in fidelity.

Inflation Calculator says that something that cost $300 in 1999 (The PS2) should cost about $450 today. I'd be good with the base cost for all consoles moving up to $500 so we can get higher quality boxes that aren't plastic, the controllers have better batteries, the fans aren't as loud, and the designs look nicer.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunate that the early next gen showcases like Watch Dogs and Deep Down weren't accurate representations. Even Epics original UE4 demo was downgraded.

I'm hoping for advancements in areas like AI, physics, lighting and environmental effects
I think we got there eventually, just not in those games. There are certainly current gen games - other than Watch Dogs - that look as good as that Watch Dogs demo.

I do think it was a releastic look at current gen capabilities, but they just couldn't squeeze as much out of the hardware yet.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever we get will be astounding.

I am consistently blown away with this generation's graphical output.

Playing games like GoW, Spider-Man, and RDR2 on the Pro and X has been something.

I keep finding myself amazed every time I boot some of these games up.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I saw the Astrobot on some youtube goty special and I was blown away! I had no idea it could be THAT awesome

i should be PSVR

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
AI improvements please.
We're already getting AI to better our graphics. Why can't AI be used to, you know, improve AI? :p

Forgot about foveated rendering. That's next gen for sure. Mario 64 moment for headsets :D

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I can almost guarantee you this will not be on consoles. This will likely be a PC only feature for a good chunk, if not the entirety of next gen.

It's also a limited tech demo. So I don't think it's all that accurate. Low scene detail/density etc.
Yes. We already discussed that in this thread. :)

HAdoubleRY

Feb 22, 2018
Did anyone else feel like at the beginning of this console generation, they were underwhelmed by the graphical leap, but now going back and playing PS360 games the difference is very apparent?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else feel like at the beginning of this console generation, they were underwhelmed by the graphical leap, but now going back and playing PS360 games the difference is very apparent?

Everyone was gushimg over Ryse at the beginning of the generation and I was pretty meh on the graphics. Even playing on my PC at 1080p/30. Once I got my 1070 and played at 60fps I was more and more impresses with it.

Going back to RDR1 after playing RDR2 is a real eye opener.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah I can't think of a generational console leap that compared to VR's magnitude for me. It just hit me like sledgehammer. Maybe snes to N64. I hope next gen has even more focus on it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty similar to stuff on x and pro now with more native 4k and a fair amount of stuff hitting 4k 60 because the CPU won't be ass. Better physics and more NPCs and dynamic things going on too for the same reason. Like more wind, clothing, and weather effects. Priority will be eye candy still so most stuff will be 4k/30, but racers and shooters targeting 60 here and there.

Psvr will also get a very nice boost in resolution and fps, this will probably be the biggest noticeable jump honestly.

Imo sort of similar to the 360/ps3 jump to the ps4/one. If you take end of gen games from last gen and run them at 4k native they actually hold up pretty damn well. See RDR running on the X. The jump again isn't going to be massive.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

It was like that when the 360 first came out as well.

People used to jokingly call it the Xbox 1.5 up until the likes of Dead Rising came out and the name was finished completely when Gears got released.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I would think for the base consoles it would have to be native 4k, 60fps locked and HDR.

I think people have heard for too long now that next gen it will be 60fps and then only a handful of the games are and then the same thing next generation.

Graphically there will be an improvement over the top-end of the current generation, but the biggest improvements would be in the physics and AI surely.

Wouldn't most people see the biggest graphical change in they will be going from a 1080p display to a 4k display, I don't have a 4k display mainly because I don't see any value in it, I have an original PS4 and X1 there is no point in upgrading those and there is no point in me getting a 4k display now as I have nothing to use it for, I will get a 4k display when I get a 4k next-gen console and I think many would be in the same situation.