• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The people only expecting current games at native 4k/60fps will be very, very pleasantly surprised.

Right now everything you see from the geometric complexity of the Worlds to the lighting engine to all the physics simulations are built around a base Xbox One console, at least for multiplatform games and Xbox exclusives. Even PS4 exclusives are constrained by the now ancient base PS4 tech.

Companies are going to go from having a 1.6GHz Jaguar CPU and a 1.3/1.8tflop GPU as a base to a 2.8-3.2GHz Ryzen CPU and a ~12tflop GPU as a base.

The visual differences outside of image quality (for those with an X) will be momentous.

Even supposed cross gen games like Death Stranding and Cyberpunk will look out dated very quickly compared to next gen exclusive titles.

That makes me even more excited for next gen. I'm very curious to see what cool ideas devs will come up with to use all that processing power.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love threads like this, It just gets me more hyped about the next wave of console graphics. I'm mostly excited about games with a normal towns / city life atmosphere. The jungle and Ruins locations are not going to become more interesting because they look better lol

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Probably a lot like a current gen games, just running in true 4k HDR (no 1400k, checkerboard crutches) and 60 fps more consistently. But there will still be plenty of more visual/cinematic experiences that will roll with 30fps too, so they can push every last shadow and effect.

And indie and AA gaming will truck on like usual, probably sticking to specs that the Switch will run nicely.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
About 60fps, i see 2 possibilities here.
_Devs realize diminishing returns in graphics will be huge this gen and think 60fps is actually a better argument than more polygons people won't see.
_Devs absolutly want to push the graphics to the max to create a visual difference, cause the gen will need it to sell, and we'll see even less 60pfs!

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Exact same games but prettier

I honestly feel like a lot of games don't really need a new generation- look at Fortnite, it runs on a phone all the way up to a high spec PC, or Indy games like Gris, Below, The Messenger etc. A lot of games just don't need crazy power and that's why I think we'll see a ton of stuff that simply runs on a "family" of PlayStation devices (running at 4K/60 on PS5).

Only things from first party studios will be "exclusive" to the PS5- Horizon 2 or God of War 2 for example. I think things from 3rd parties will continue to be cross-gen because of the massive install base.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly feel like a lot of games don't really need a new generation- look at Fortnite, it runs on a phone all the way up to a high spec PC, or Indy games like Gris, Below, The Messenger etc. A lot of games just don't need crazy power and that's why I think we'll see a ton of stuff that simply runs on a "family" of PlayStation devices (running at 4K/60 on PS5).

Only things from first party studios will be "exclusive" to the PS5- Horizon 2 or God of War 2 for example. I think things from 3rd parties will continue to be cross-gen because of the massive install base.

On some level this has almost always been the case though. You never really needed bleeding edge hardware to make the most popular or commercially successful games. Mobile gaming and mass-market PC gaming have made this abundantly clear in more recent years.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
On some level this has almost always been the case though. You never really needed bleeding edge hardware to make the most popular or commercially successful games. Mobile gaming and mass-market PC gaming have made this abundantly clear in more recent years.

But I think unlike past console generations, Sony won't abandon the PS4 as quickly as before. It'll stay on the market as the cheap PlayStation for a looooooong time.

For a lot of devs they'll design their games for "PlayStation" and the same build will run across PS4/5 devices. Unlike before where targeting the PS3/2 were completely different system architectures vs the new generation hardware.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
2430404-3729539862-iWUhy.gif

Never forget
What are the chances on the PS5 reveal we get another one of these amazing lookers that will most likely be more realistic on PS6?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances on the PS5 reveal we get another one of these amazing lookers that will most likely be more realistic on PS6?
100%

I love how all these posts are just from pre-rendered gameplay trailers from years past. Some dating as far back as 2006 lol

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see a true huge leap in terms of Physics, animations and destruction. Graphics wise I'm still amazed by games like RDR 2 and GOW and TLOU II is going to be insane.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No way does TLOU2 come close to that demo, the detail on Drake's face, the depth of field, water droplets, god rays etc, way too good for PS4, dunno what ND was thinking by pretending PS4 could run that at 60fps.

The most ridiculous part is that they insisted it was in-engine or some bullshit, never admitted it was total BS. You really have to be brazen to act like it was actually going to run at 60fps.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
But I think unlike past console generations, Sony won't abandon the PS4 as quickly as before. It'll stay on the market as the cheap PlayStation for a looooooong time.

For a lot of devs they'll design their games for "PlayStation" and the same build will run across PS4/5 devices. Unlike before where targeting the PS3/2 were completely different system architectures vs the new generation hardware.

For most developers that's definitely what's going to happen for the first year after PS5 launches... if Sony has backwards compatibility and lets games run as one build across both generations like on the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Most will probably leave PS5 behind after that point though, but you do have a point about Fortnite.

The most popular service-oriented games of each hardware generation are often supported long after that generation is over. EA tends to still make FIFA games for really old systems well into their successors' lifespans -- FIFA 19 still gets made for last-gen consoles, the last PS2 FIFA was FIFA 14 which came out across three console generations (sports games tend to do that around console launches). Minecraft just got its last update for last-gen systems less than a year ago. And Fortnite is on seemingly every screen imaginable now, so if it runs on a phone at what point do you stop supporting the base PS4 version? Probably not until well into next-gen.

After maybe the first year of PS5 though most other big publishers will likely start turning towards next-gen-only as the core console player base does. After 2021 I could see games like Siege and Overwatch finally abandoning PS4 and Xbox One. I'm not sure if EA would take that "one build across the whole family" thing to its sports games though. EA has had a tendency to strong-arm platform holders into letting it do its own thing since the 16-bit era and making all those sports customers pay another $60 for a next-gen disc is probably too lucrative for them to let go. EA also has a tech-related excuse, as versions on different hardware generations often run on different engines.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
EA also has a tech-related excuse, as versions on different hardware generations often run on different engines.

I feel like this is precisely what is different from previous generations- the thing that took years for the bigger AAA games to come out was devs updating their engines to work with a new architecture. Now that won't have to do that. It'll be much cheaper to support the next generation.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm sure we will be blown away by next gen. People always say that games will look just a bit better then the previous gen.

We have been saying this since the nes times and then we had the SNES etc.

Then the first 3D games arrived and again, no way games get any better but now we arrived at games like horizon, uncharted 4, Forza, gears etc.

Technology never stopps and devs always find ways to make games look great. Yes, they are not alway 60fps or 4K yet it's still a great experience.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The people only expecting current games at native 4k/60fps will be very, very pleasantly surprised.

Right now everything you see from the geometric complexity of the Worlds to the lighting engine to all the physics simulations are built around a base Xbox One console, at least for multiplatform games and Xbox exclusives. Even PS4 exclusives are constrained by the now ancient base PS4 tech.

Companies are going to go from having a 1.6GHz Jaguar CPU and a 1.3/1.8tflop GPU as a base to a 2.8-3.2GHz Ryzen CPU and a ~12tflop GPU as a base.

The visual differences outside of image quality (for those with an X) will be momentous.

Even supposed cross gen games like Death Stranding and Cyberpunk will look out dated very quickly compared to next gen exclusive titles.

Maybe open world games that looks like detriot
S6kq6KS.gif

JAUW.gif

zq03QWp.gif

These two posts make me excited for next-gen.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

One of their tech panels. I think they said they treated the PS4 as a render farm and the expensive assets were impossible to run in real time on a PS4. Can't find the source right now but I'll provide it when I get home if no one does until then.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One of their tech panels. I think they said they treated the PS4 as a render farm and the expensive assets were impossible to run in real time on a PS4. Can't find the source right now but I'll provide it when I get home if no one does until then.
Are you sure you're not getting confused? That's what they said when they were speaking about how they rendered their cut-scenes on PS3.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure you're not getting confused? That's what they said when they were speaking about how they rendered their cut-scenes on PS3.

They admitted at a tech talk that they greatly overestimated what was possible in real time on PS4.

The Uncharted reveal trailer to in game U4 is a massive downgrade. The reveal looks real at times. The reveal over 4 is the same level of tech leap as U3-4.

The reveal visuals will be possible on PS5 in real time.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017

RDR2 is the new graphics benchmark. Absolutely stunning visually. I honestly don't know how they achieved what they made, even on base PS4. Every time I play it I'm gobsmacked. I know R* had a HUGE budget and all R* teams worked on it for nearly a decade. It just shows what can be done if they have the resources.

I can't begin to imagine what they will archive next gen.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Maybe open world games that looks like detriot
S6kq6KS.gif

JAUW.gif

zq03QWp.gif

Given what Death Stranding (on Decima) is shaping up to looks like, I am genuinely starting to believe that Horizon Zero Dawn II might end up looking like this in real time (given the LoD 0 models and increased visual fidelity during dialogue segments do match Detroit's dialogue segment).

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Am I wrong for thinking that this doesn't look good at all? I don't like the graphical style of Crackdown 3, and I think it looks really bland. The explosions and destruction look really meh. It doesn't help that It seems like the debris is running lower framerate.
Glad I'm not the only one who saw that and shrugged my shoulders. Maybe it's a bad example? But to answer your question, no I don't believe in the cloud now. Oh sorry. The Cloud.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I dont even think we'll get games that look that good 2-3 years into the next gen.

You'll see more AAA games that look significantly better probably a year into next gen.

That Cyberpunk demo was running on a 1080Ti. What are the current speculations for next-gen GPU performance? I think what you saw there is more or less what a cross-gen game is going to look like, so basically next-gen games through 2021.