• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With the increased CPU power I'd love to see a natural disaster like a tornado or hurricane and witness the affect it has on the game world. What's the closest we've come to that in a game so far?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly feel like a lot of games don't really need a new generation- look at Fortnite, it runs on a phone all the way up to a high spec PC, or Indy games like Gris, Below, The Messenger etc. A lot of games just don't need crazy power and that's why I think we'll see a ton of stuff that simply runs on a "family" of PlayStation devices (running at 4K/60 on PS5).

Only things from first party studios will be "exclusive" to the PS5- Horizon 2 or God of War 2 for example. I think things from 3rd parties will continue to be cross-gen because of the massive install base.
I doubt this turns out to be true. Developers have more reason to go exclusive next-gen than cross-gen due to the significant CPU improvements that could end up affecting general game design in a lot of ways.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
2430404-3729539862-iWUhy.gif

Never forget
Awww...yeah. DEEP DOWN. Capcom keeps extending this IP name trademark...so It may still happen or it may be integrated into Dragon's Dogma 2.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You'll see more AAA games that look significantly better probably a year into next gen.

That Cyberpunk demo was running on a 1080Ti. What are the current speculations for next-gen GPU performance? I think what you saw there is more or less what a cross-gen game is going to look like, so basically next-gen games through 2021.

If true thats awesome!

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
The Witcher 4 gonna look like this on PS5 and Xbox 2
image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-23865-2651_0008.jpg

image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-23865-2651_0010.jpg

image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-23865-2651_0009.jpg

I don't understand why oftentimes devs show visual fidelity that is not possible on their current gen HW. Specifically gameplay visual like screens above! The final product is almost a generation behind! This is embarrassing.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
RDR2 is the new graphics benchmark. Absolutely stunning visually. I honestly don't know how they achieved what they made, even on base PS4. Every time I play it I'm gobsmacked. I know R* had a HUGE budget and all R* teams worked on it for nearly a decade. It just shows what can be done if they have the resources.

I can't begin to imagine what they will archive next gen.

GTA VI will be fucking ridiculous.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
If you want that sort of fidelity we're gonna have to wait a while. Imagine if GTA is a next gen only game...No chance imo, surely they're already well into production for current gen consoles
I actually think there's a pretty decent chance GTAVI will be a next-gen exclusive. I also don't think we'll see it until 2021-2022.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The people only expecting current games at native 4k/60fps will be very, very pleasantly surprised.

Right now everything you see from the geometric complexity of the Worlds to the lighting engine to all the physics simulations are built around a base Xbox One console, at least for multiplatform games and Xbox exclusives. Even PS4 exclusives are constrained by the now ancient base PS4 tech.

Companies are going to go from having a 1.6GHz Jaguar CPU and a 1.3/1.8tflop GPU as a base to a 2.8-3.2GHz Ryzen CPU and a ~12tflop GPU as a base.

The visual differences outside of image quality (for those with an X) will be momentous.

Even supposed cross gen games like Death Stranding and Cyberpunk will look out dated very quickly compared to next gen exclusive titles.
If PS5 is a cut down Navi 10 (very likely), it's gonna be around 10tflops & a lot of that will be wasted on 4K, the resolution chase sucks up so many GPU resources it's not funny, unless devs start aiming for 1080p as a base, the difference won't be that huge, also things like better shadows, AO, draw distance etc, those 10+tflops go fast.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I doubt this turns out to be true. Developers have more reason to go exclusive next-gen than cross-gen due to the significant CPU improvements that could end up affecting general game design in a lot of ways.

An install base of 100M+ says otherwise. Why would they abandon all those potential sales until they can sell to a sizable base on PS5?

I don't see most mass market games leaving PS4 behind. Especially in the short term during PS5 launch (when maybe on day one it sells 1M units).

It's up to Sony to push their first party studios to go PS5, to grow an install base so 3rd parties can reap the benefits eventually.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If PS5 is a cut down Navi 10 (very likely), it's gonna be around 10tflops & a lot of that will be wasted on 4K, the resolution chase sucks up so many GPU resources it's not funny, unless devs start aiming for 1080p as a base, the difference won't be that huge, also things like better shadows, AO, draw distance etc, those 10+tflops go fast.

10tflops is still an almost 10x leap in base specs for devs to target vs the 1.3tflops of this gen. I don't get the "wasted 4k" nonsense. Image quality is very important to the way a game looks so it's not a waste at all.

Certain games will also continue to use checkerboard rendering, sparse rendering, AI rendering, dynamic resolution and all types of anti aliasing solutions.

People are also getting way too hung up on tflop numbers. Next gen only games will be jaw dropping with a massive leap in every facet of rendering from lighting, geometry, materials, textures and effects.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
10tflops is still an almost 10x leap in base specs for devs to target vs the 1.3tflops of this gen. I don't get the "wasted 4k" nonsense. Image quality is very important to the way a game looks so it's not a waste at all.

Certain games will also continue to use checkerboard rendering, sparse rendering, AI rendering, dynamic resolution and all types of anti aliasing solutions.

People are also getting way too hung up on tflop numbers. Next gen only games will be jaw dropping with a massive leap in every facet of rendering from lighting, geometry, materials, textures and effects.
They will have all of what you said, at 1080p/30fps.
a 2080 Ti struggles with current gen games at 4K with higher settings, there just isn't the hardware available for both 4K & a true next gen leap, PS4 & PS5 will both be using GCN archicture, just PS5 will have one with around 5x (2.5x for Pro) more grunt & some neat bonuses like primitive shaders (if AMD doesn't cancel them again lol) PS3's honestly quite mediocre & outdated RSX even in 2006 to the custom HD 7850/70 PS4 had was an enormous leap not just in performance but architecture wise, that leap is just not happening this time, especially not when compared to the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
An install base of 100M+ says otherwise. Why would they abandon all those potential sales until they can sell to a sizable base on PS5?

I don't see most mass market games leaving PS4 behind. Especially in the short term during PS5 launch (when maybe on day one it sells 1M units).

It's up to Sony to push their first party studios to go PS5, to grow an install base so 3rd parties can reap the benefits eventually.
It makes sense for the first year, but after when a significant portion of the base has moved on, we'll definitely start seeing more and more exclusively next-gen games. Same with last gen.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know man. RDR2 already looks ridiculous and runs at 4K30 on 6TFLOPS. You add another 4TFLOPS and a better CPU, and stay at the same resolution and framerate, that seems like a lot of elbow room leftover. Plus all these games we're looking at right now were ultimately still optimized around the base PS4.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They will have all of what you said, at 1080p/30fps.
a 2080 Ti struggles with current gen games at 4K with higher settings, there just isn't the hardware available for both 4K & a true next gen leap, PS4 & PS5 will both be using GCN archicture, just PS5 will have one with around 5x (2.5x for Pro) more grunt & some neat bonuses like primitive shaders (if AMD doesn't cancel them again lol) PS3's honestly quite mediocre & outdated RSX even in 2006 to the custom HD 7850/70 PS4 had was an enormous leap not just in performance but architecture wise, that leap is just not happening this time, especially not when compared to the PS4 Pro.

The problem with your line of thought is that you are using the wasteful/inefficient higher settings offered in the pc version of some games to try and draw performance parallels to efficient solutions designed from the ground up to target a higher spec. Its funny that people continually repeat this nonsense every generation

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know man. RDR2 already looks ridiculous and runs at 4K30 on 6TFLOPS. You add another 4TFLOPS and a better CPU, and stay at the same resolution and framerate, that seems like a lot of elbow room leftover. Plus all these games we're looking at right now were ultimately still optimized around the base PS4.
Those 4tflops could be wasted very easily on better AO, god rays, shadows & LOD's etc, though those things i mentioned will have to be cheaped out on again likely to get close to next gen leap.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The problem with your line of thought is that you are using the wasteful/inefficient higher settings offered in the pc version of some games to try and draw performance parallels to efficient solutions designed from the ground up to target a higher spec. Its funny that people continually repeat this nonsense every generation
This generation isn't the same as the others, as i said, Navi is just another GCN refresh, there isn't even a next gen architecture at play. I wouldn't say those effects are wasteful either, it's just devs have to make a compromise somewhere, the low quality volumetrics in RE2 & God of War are not efficient, just low quality.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I actually think there's a pretty decent chance GTAVI will be a next-gen exclusive. I also don't think we'll see it until 2021-2022.

While I agree there's a pretty good chance GTA VI will be next-gen only (PS5, Scarlett, PC) I don't think we'll see it until 2022 at the soonest.

Maybe reveal in late 2021 and release in Fall 2023.
There was roughly 2 years between the reveal & release of both GTA V (2011--> 2013) and RDR2 (2016--> 2018).

OP
OP

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
While I agree there's a pretty good chance GTA VI will be next-gen only (PS5, Scarlett, PC) I don't think we'll see it until 2022 at the soonest.

Maybe reveal in late 2021 and release in Fall 2023.
There was roughly 2 years between the reveal & release of both GTA V (2011--> 2013) and RDR2 (2016--> 2018).
2023 will be 10 years since V 😭

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm open to a next gen Final Fantasy going in so many potential directions. Although, I am still waiting for Final Fantasy battles to completely merge with cutscenes in one seamless presentation. I've always loved of thought of essentially playing a Visual Works cutscene in realtime. Square Enix has been flirting with this idea for a while now.

With Nomura finding himself directing a Final Fantasy yet again, I would love to see pivotal cutscenes reworked as playable set pieces in the FF VII Remake. Considering you actually had (very limited) input in the original.
8zciXeP.gif

KDqLIqS.gif

nP3891p.gif

eNwMgly.gif

HeLXCzw.gif

ts6jwk1.gif

mZ1B2ys.gif

9GQDiIP.gif

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we can see some more interesting procedural generation tech next gen. Not levels or stats but things like enemies or environment features beyond just the layouts.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They're going to look like the best looking current gen games like God Of War, Detroit, or Dragon Quest XI, but bumped up. And of course there will be games that go beyond that and also all kinds of smaller productions that look like they could have been done on current gen hardware, not counting retro indies and stuff like that obvs.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017

You can polish a turd...but it's still a turd.

There's absolutely no point in 4K unless the whole scene is rich and immaculately detailed to make it worth while. At that point I would suggest there's no chance 4K is possible.

Deleted member 33567

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm equally interested in the extra cpu power making games more realistic looking and atmospheric. Such as increased density of npc in cities and them moving around in the world doing stuff. Also the additional memory used to banish indoor/outdoor loading screens.

Think this post turned into a subconscious request for a next gen elder scrolls ...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't think it'll look much better.

4K will become standard but the consoles (and any mid gen refresh) won't be powerful enough for 5K. i think we'll get more powerful CPUs but i'm not sure if that'll allow for 4K and 60fps at the same time except in exclusive titles from Sony/Microsoft. games will likely just become more detailed with better animations/AI etc and on a much larger scale in terms of map size/density. there will of course be some improved visuals but the biggest graphics improvement recently is real time raytracing and that'll be a PC thing for the next decade or so because it won't be coming to next gen consoles. next next gen consoles at the earliest which will be near the end of the 20's. well, i suppose consoles could just used pre-rendered baked in raytracing. i think some games have already done that.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think basically how FF7 Remakes cutscenes looked, but in game. So not unbelievably different.

I think they'll push 4K and we'll really start to see diminishing returns now. But it won't matter because games drive sales, and games are most important.

I also hope that consoles are focused on 4K because then Switch 2 could get lots of near 1080p ports on a lower powered device.

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm always confused by these graphical downgrades. If the original images as in Watch_Dogs and The Witcher 3 were running on real hardware at some point, what would that hardware have been? 2x 980Tis in SLI? And if so, why was there any need to downgrade it at all for PC users? Was it simply to avoid platform wars between the PC and consoles?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always confused by these graphical downgrades. If the original images as in Watch_Dogs and The Witcher 3 were running on real hardware at some point, what would that hardware have been? 2x 980Tis in SLI? And if so, why was there any need to downgrade it at all for PC users? Was it simply to avoid platform wars between the PC and consoles?

To get other parts of the game running at stable framerates probably. Those E3 videos are always vertical slices of one part of a game. That same renderer might run like crap in other sections.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
Once again people are underestimating a new gen.
I remember people saying we won't get star wars 1313 graphics this gen.

However the leap will be smaller because of diminishing returns.

But things like this in VR should be possible next gen.

Skip to 1hr43m

Epics tech demos have been a pretty good indicator in the past, so I think there recent graphics demos are a good bet.
One thing that is interesting is that UE4 is able to produce far better visuals then what is possible on x1/ps4, then again I suppose UE3 did aswell.

For me, graphics are good enough on the mid gens.
I hope devs focus more on world interactivity, world + Npc realism. We have a long way to go, but these things will make a game just as immersive as more realistic graphics.

Bet we won't get life like VR avatars for 10 years lol