• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
genuinely cant tell if this is a joke post
Nope. I personally haven't liked much of what has released this year. I've started dipping into my backlog to compensate.If you have any recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them. NiER was a big one that was supposed to be fantastic, but didn't really do it for me.

EDIT: How the heck did I forget about Sonic Mania? LOVED that one.

EDIT 2: And Injustice 2 was pretty great.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Man, it's been a great year, I feel like I've played so many brilliant games and yet missed even more.

• Breath of the Wild - While I do wish it had more in the way of dungeons, it was certainly filled with plenty of great puzzles and I enjoyed just about everything about it. I know there are people out there who'll disagree but man, this game even managed to make weapon deterioration fun! Throwing your weapon away for that bonus damage and pull out your next or make a mad dash for another, I can't believe how much I enjoyed that element of the game's combat.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - My favourite combat of the year. Loved the variety of options at your disposal and a nice variety of enemies. It really impressed me how intense some moments were and that those moments were often completely organic and not setpieces (not throwing shade on setpieces). I didn't really buy into the hype for this game and didn't get around to it until a few months ago, but I wound up very very impressed.
  • Persona 5 - My favourite game in the series, and it was no small feat to knock Persona 4 off that perch for me. It's a shame the localisation was indeed too wordy, but that didn't hamper everything else about this game that was just masterfully done.
  • Nier Automata - Pascal. (Also, the ending's message and delivery really hit me.)
  • Super Mario Odyssey - I feel like this game delivers on everything people have been saying about Super Mario 64 for years that I just never quite got. at around 280 Moons I've still got plenty to do, and I think I might still prefer the focus of the Galaxy games, but Super Mario Odyssey has been a joyous, funky, creative and eclectic ride.
  • Destiny 2 - Okay, so Destiny 2's endgame has let me down. It's shallow and lacks a sense or reward or incentive. And yet I still play it, because ultimately I just love the way this game plays. I'm a sucker for Bungie's shooters and I expect I'll wind up putting hundreds of hours into Des2 just as I did Des1
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy - A huge surprise that this standalone expansion, that was birthed from a planned piece of DLC would wind up being my second favourite entry into the series behind UC2. The folks behind this game just absolutely nailed the pacing, setpieces, exploration and characters.
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - If anyone at Ubisoft Paris/Milan is reading this, know that you guys just fucking knocked this out of the park. This was so good it felt like it could well have been developed/published by Nintendo themselves. I spent a good 50 hours with this game (and didn't actually get around to completing the final challenges, I should really do that)
  • Splatoon 2 - More funk and creativity, just what I wanted out of Splatoon. Salmon Run is one of the best horde modes I've ever played.The only thing holding this back is Nintendo's horrible approach to online. I daresay me and my friends would have been playing this a lot longer if so much of its approach to online and playing with friends wasn't so backwards.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prey. GOTY.

Persona 5.

Resident evil 7.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Nier Automata

Destiny 2.

Tekken 7.

Edit: Hellblade. Audio masterpiece.

I've played the switch games too but these games are tops for this year on experiences not to miss out on.

FinalCut

Oct 27, 2017
It's been such an incredible year for games. My personal favorites so far, in order:

Horizon
Zelda
Nier
Prey
Edith Finch
Night in the Woods

Haven't played yet:
Persona 5
Mario
Wolfenstein
Assassin's Creed

shepcommandr

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No particular order;
Edith Finch
Mario + Rabbids
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Kingdoms and Castles
Dead Cells

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played much this year, but NieR: Automata has moved into my all-time top five, so it's my GOTY.

Incredible game that I still think about on a consistent basis. Great conflicted characters that exist in one of the best sci-fi stories I've seen in a long time. It moved me in a way that a game hasn't since Silent Hill 2.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Nier, Cuphead, Atelier Sophie*, and Bayonetta*.
*Yes, I know they're old, but they released on Steam this year so I finally got to play them :D

Last edited:

Syn

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly been an amazing gaming year for me personally. Zelda is Def my goty. But Mario, horizon, re7 and nier are up there for sure.

Sams

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Uncharted LL
and most likely Pokemon ultra moon

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Rabbids was awesome. Was also one those that when it was announced I wasn't looking forward to it all and figures it would be a terrible idea. Loved to be proved wrong on that one. I do hope it becomes a series.

Mario Odyssey is an amazing game probably my game of the year without a doubt. Pretty sure it is gonna be a classic for a long time to come.

Disgaea 5 complete. It is one of the best games ever made and it is complete and on the go.

Also had great time with Mario Kart 8D. Splatoon 2. Street fighter 2 Ultra. Stardew Valley and lots more.

Been the best year in gaming for me for many years. Feels like early 2000's again.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping in mind I haven't experienced Zelda nor the entirety of Mario Odyssey... Mine would go to Horizon, followed very closely by Hellblade. Both tour de forces in their own unique way, and tremendous for their own styles. Fingers crossed Hellblade gets a little nudge come award season, and we see other studios venture into similar territory and flex creative muscles. Definitely the bigger surprise of the two for me.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In order (first to last):

Nier
Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Horizon
AC Origins
South Park FB
Uncharted LL
Shadow of Mordor
Zelda BotW

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Uncharted The Last Legacy
3. Injustice 2

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
1. Persona 5
2. Nier: Automata
3. Zelda: BotW
4. Mario Odyssey
5. RE7 (a distant 5th)

Still have a lot to catch up with this year with Horizon, Yakuza, Prey, Lost Legacy, etc. And of course depending on how Xenoblade 2 turns out it could take a spot on the list. I'd say that in retrospect P5 has a good number of flaws but goddamn that first playthrough was something else. Hard to not count the only game I've platinumed with two full playthroughs and 130+ total hours played as my GotY :p

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, LoZ: BOTW, and Sonic Mania.

Oh, I should also include Horizon: Zero Dawn. From what I got to play of it, I had an amazing time... but I don't own a PS4 s that's the end of it, I suppose. :P

Oct 27, 2017
Prey is my absolute favorite game of the year due to the pure amount of detail and exploration on offer. I have a feeling we will be hearing alot about this game in the coming years as people slowly discover it. I wish the absolute best for Arkane and hope Bethesda continues to support their creation of content.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
God. GOD.

No particular order (and keep in mind I played P5 and Ys VIII last year).

DanganRonpa V3
Nier: Automata
LoZ Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Sen no Kiseki 3
Dragon Quest XI
Resident Evil 7

I'm probably forgetting some obvious ones, but this has been a fucking awesome year and it's not even done yet. Evil Within 2 is shaping up to be an awesome addition to the list, too.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy 14: Stormblood.

Did the whole whammy from A Realm Reborn through Heavensward and now I'm close to the end, and it's tied for the best gaming experience I've had all year along with P5. (P5 edges out in the end, a truly phenomenal experience.) Any professed Final Fantasy fan needs to experience it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a great year, but some of my favorites are:

Persona 5
- I've been a pretty big persona fan since 4 came out on ps2, so to say I was excited for persona 5 would be a huge understatement. It did have some problems , but overall I was and still am in love with the game, and would consider it my favorite of the series. Went through it twice already and I would probably have gone through it another time if a friend of mine hadn't borrowed it.

NieR: Automata
- I would see people talk about the original NieR constantly on forums/message boards, so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot my self. I thought the game was pretty good, but I think I went in expecting something more? My view of the game did change radically for the better after reading through grimoire NieR which likely the reason I eventually became so hyped for automata.

Enter automata, and it's a good game, and then it's a pretty good game, and then it's an amazing game in that order. The last third is magical with some of the most emotional moments for me in any medium let alone a game. The ending is also very, very moving in its message.

Yakuza 0
The Yakuza series was always a series that I would look on and say "I should play that, I think I'd like it." Zero then came out and I was debating about getting it or not, and then I saw the gif about making Nugget the chicken a real estate manager, and I had to have it.

Game made me a yakuza fan with its absurdity in both how hilarious and how actually well written it can get.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Gorgeous game with my some of my favorite combat in a game and a rather interesting sci fi story. I think some of it could be written a bit better, and while I love having Alloy as a main character, I think she steps into Mary sue territory a bit more than I'd like. Overall excellent game, and mindblowingly good for a new ip.

Ys VIII
This is pretty simple. Game is genuinely one of my favorite ARPGs with an excellent yet simple battle system that feels great, and the game has an excellent OST to back it all up. Can't wait to get a replay in once the localization patch hits as the game does need it. I enjoyed the story, but the localization didn't help it much.

Puweyxil

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda BotW - GOTY so far
Prey - Very close second to BotW
RE 7
Tales of Berseria
Ys VIII - Just finished this one, loved it.

There are many great games I have yet to play though, like NieR: Automata which I just picked up and will be starting soon.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top 5:
1. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Outlast 2
4. Dishonored 2
5. Prey

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people sleeping on Cuphead.

1. Cuphead
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn

That's all the deserving games I can list right now. Mario could make the cut but I haven't played it enough, yet.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
  • Cuphead
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Hollow Knight
  • Little Nightmares
  • Pyre
  • Rakuen
  • Sonic Mania
  • Spark the Electric Jester
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Alphabetically, I'd say these are my top 10 so far, but I'm sure Sonic Forces is going to replace one of them.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
My top five right now is looking like:
  • ARMS
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Golf Story
  • A Normal Lost Phone
  • Universal Paperclips
in roughly that order. I still haven't finished Golf Story though so maybe that falls apart near the end.

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me and would love to play it but don't have an Xbox or PC. :(

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017

It needs to be ported to other systems first I'm afraid, simply not going to buy an Xbox for just that one game. PC gaming is also not my thing.

anyway back on topic: BOTW is not only my game of the year, but also of the decade!

Other two mentions would be Mario Odyssey and Rebirth of Isaac on Switch.

Doomshroom

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon zero dawn
Resident evil 7 (VR)
fortnite (not out yet, dont know if it counts)
Thor 3:Ragnarök (yeah its not a game but it was really good)

LRN

Oct 25, 2017
Something like:
1) Mario Odyssey
2) Zelda BotW
3) RE7

Still playing with the rankings.
A couple other very fun games this year too, like TEW2 and Persona 5. Very strong year.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Its gotta be

Persona 5
Cuphead
Warframe (just started it with my 2 friends and im loving it.... i know its old but still)
Super Mario Odyssey

RoslindaleOne

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are the only new games I bought this year. Waiting for the holiday deals later in the year.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Best games this year

1. Zelda Botw/Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Prey
3. Mario and Rabbids
4. Star Wars Battlefront 2 beta (looking forward to the full release:))
5. Hellblade
6. Resident Evil 7
7. Wolfenstein 2

Haven't played some heavy hitters like Persona 5 and Nier Automata but this list is not final obviously.
Interested to give AC Origins a try and Xenoblade 2 of course.

Cheri

Oct 28, 2017
NieR Automata- Easily my favorite game of the year. The story, characters, music and the emotions I felt going through the finale really stuck with me.
FFXIV: Stormblood- I just.. never get tired of FFXIV and the expansion didn't disappoint at all. It also helped me get through a really rough summer.
Super Mario Odyssey- Haven't played it as much as I'd like yet but I can already tell this game is really something special from the few worlds I've been to and is the most fun I've had with a Mario game since 64. I'm so excited to play more when school isn't taking up most of my free time.
Splatoon 2- Entertained me for hours and hours, brought out the rare competitive side of me and I just love squid kids ok.
Legend of Zelda: BotW- I really couldn't believe how well Nintendo pulled off an open world Zelda. Felt so good enjoying the exploration and puzzles of Zelda again after waiting so long and being really skeptical after not liking Skyward Sword much.

And shout-out to Persona 5 for also being a great game, just didn't quite grab me like 3 and 4 did and I have yet to complete it which is kind of a bummer, considering I ADORE Persona 3 and 4. Still pretty sure I've clocked in nearly 100 hours though, so yeah, definitely still a good game to say the least, was just a tiny bit disappointing.

SHØGVN

Oct 29, 2017
1. Persona 5
2. South Park Fractured But Whole
3. FE Heroes

I've had to hold off on Danganronpa V3 because I didn't bring my Vita with me when I moved abroad (fail) but I guess that would've made it onto my list.

Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order
  1. BOTW - played for 170hrs +
  2. Horizon Zero dawn
  3. Lost legacy
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
Amazing year so far