• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Oh Lord this year has been so good and I have still not played Resident Evil 7, Nier Automata or switch games.

But so far, these games are great and I love them!
Destiny 2
Wolfenstein 2
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Hellblade
Horizon zero Dawn (my Goty so far)
Little Nightmares

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't completed too many games this year, but Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy are definitely my top games of the year.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head:
  1. Nier: Automata
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Breath of the Wild
  4. Persona 5
  5. Destiny 2
  6. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
  7. Mario + Rabbids
Still have to play Wolfenstein 2, Horizon, Uncharted, Cuphead, Pyre...too many to list.

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Nier Automata
Persona 5

Are my top right now. I'm having trouble picking a single game but right now it may be Mario.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight
Divinity OS II
CupHead
Nier Automata
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0

2017 is an incredible year for games.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Hollow Knight
4. Divinity 2
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
6. Nier Automata
7. Persona 5
8. Mario + Rabbids
9. Resident Evil 7
10. Uncharted: TLL

The fact that I was even able to list 10 games speaks to how absolutely insane this year has been.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion but my first pick is Andromeda.
  1. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  2. Cuphead
  3. Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So many games I have yet to play, but so far my these have been my top 5. I'm sure the list will change by the time the year is almost over.

1. Zelda BOTW
  2. Mario Odessy
  3. Yakuza 0
  4. RE 7
  5. Persona 5

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I have more than enough for my top 10 ballot, but here are 5 that I promise will make it in no particular order

Nier: Automata
Resident Evil 7
Metroid: Samus Returns
Zelda: BotW
Prey

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Night in the Woods might one of my favorite games ever.

Persona 5, Uncharted LL, Nioh, Cuphead, Horizon and Nier are also really great.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is number one, RE7 and Nioh after that. Haven't played Automata yet so that might yet creep into the top 3 when I get around to it.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier: Automata
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Tekken 7
Kingdom Hearts II.8 HD
Final Fantasy XII HD
Tales of Berseria
Gravity Rush 2

In no particular order.
This year has been amazing (and Xenoblade is yet to come)

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Bought like 40 games this year across PS4 and Switch, this has been my favourite gaming year ever.

And that list doesn't include Nier, Mario + Rabbids, Odyssey, Night In The Woods, Battle Chasers, Splatoon, Uncharted and Rock of Ages (stuff I'm yet to buy) or Sexy Brutale, Wolfenstein or Pyre (stuff I'm yet to start).

Simply incredible year and I'm gonna be spending a lot of 2018 playing catch up.

My current fave five in no particular order:

Legend of Zelda
Hellblade
Injustice 2
Nex Machina
Horizon

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Super Mario Odyssey yet but Prey, Sonic Mania, and Breath of Wild make for a fantastic year.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Only played 2 games from this year - Tekken 7 and Persona 5. I played the former as something to diversify by fighting game experience prior to going to Evo for the first time this year. The latter was supposed to be a palette cleanser post-Evo, but it ended up taking me down on a Persona series mini-bender - I'm in the middle of a NG+ run on P5 and was playing through the PS2 classics version of Persona 4 until a bug wiped all my saves on that game.

Moza

Oct 27, 2017
Currently it's:

1. Mario Odyssey
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Persona 5
4. Uncharted: LL
5. Cuphead
6. BotW

But I still want to play Nier Automata, Danganronpa V3, RE7 and Nioh

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Off the top of my head without much thought its

1. BotW
2. Hellblade
3. Mario Odyssey

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon is easily my favorite game of the year thus far. It has a great narrative, great characters, great enemy design, great weapons and combat and great landscapes to traverse.I really would like to play Uncharted, the Lost Legacy but I really didn't enjoy Uncharted 4 enough, unlike all other Uncharted games. Nioh was also a great game that I enjoyed but it's tertiary to The Evil Within 2 which I'm just starting but am really liking. The aiming takes some getting acclimated to though.

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly?

1) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen re-release on PS4
2) Knack 2
3) Shadow of War
4) Destiny 2
5) Titanfall 2

And I haven't played it yet, but Elex will probably make top 5 because I love euro-jank RPGs. I will literally buy anything that Piranha Bytes, Cyanide or Spiders puts out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This year has really been an embarrassment of riches. I've played and finished so many more games this year than the last few due to how high the quality as been.

Top 5 so far I suppose:
  1. Zelda BOTW - I hate open world games generally. This is the exception. So beautifully realized.
  2. Yakuza 0 - I wish his series had been marketed as "bad-ass Shenmu" from the get go. I would not have missed so many.
  3. WonderBoy III remake - You can feel the love that went into this project. Just perfect.
  4. Titanfall 2 - A great single player shooter campaign. Sometimes that's all you need.
  5. Cuphead - Came for the art, stayed for he gameplay. One more try... one more try.
Lots of other great stuff that I left off this list. And I'm just starting Mario and need to pickup Wolfenstein and a bunch of indies (Tacoma, Hellblade). I just need more time.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still have a lot of games to catch up on this year, but so far from what I've played:

Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
Sonic Mania
Resident Evil 7
Metroid: Samus Returns
Uncharted: Lost Legacy

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
My Top 5:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Mario Odyssey
3. Prey
4. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
5. Sonic Mania

Couple games I've yet to beat (FE Echoes, Nioh) and others I haven't even started yet (RE7, DQ Heroes 2, Hollow Knight), but I think I played the vast majority of what I was interested in. Persona 5 and Nier Automata were pretty big disappointments for me. Yakuza 0 was alright, but one of the weaker series entries for me. I actually ended up liking Kiwami more despite a lot of its shortcomings as a Y1 remake.

Definitely looking forward to talking Top 10s in December.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Top 10 so far. I only include games I have finished, so no Super Mario Odyssey, Etrian Odyssey V, or Fire Emblem Warriors (probably wouldn't make it anyway, though it's not a bad game by any means).

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Splatoon 2
3. Persona 5
4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
5. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (is this cheating?)
6. NieR: Automata
7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
8. ARMS
9. Metroid: Samus Returns
10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Odyssey will probably enter the Top 3. Etrian may enter the second half. Xenoblade 2 and Resident Evil 7 may place somewhere when I play them in December. Pokemon Ultra Sun probably won't. The order will probably change too as I beat more games or just think about my order more. But I love all the discussion about Top 10 lists at the end of the year. I keep a Google Doc through just to keep track and gather my thoughts throughout the year for this moment.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Super Mario Odyssey
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Cuphead
Splatoon 2
Soldam

Reserving this place for Zelda BotW when I get it next month, because I'm sure I'll end up loving it.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 - A game that was infused with the spirit of adventure and what an adventure it was. It is hard to express how much character and life your party had despite non of them being complex, lacking a voice and yet they won me over due to the top notch animation adding layers of endearing mannerisms to each of them.

Ao no Kiseki - People might wonder why one would want to invest into the slow crawl that is kiseki. Why work yourself through over 5 and more games to really get the true highs of what this series to offer. Well Ao no Kiseki is the answer to that. When it comes to long term narratives in gaming the way Ao no Kiseki pushes the boundaries of what a character in Kiseki can be and giving a taste of the giants of its world as well as letting you experience the growth towards those giants has been one of the most narratively exciting games I played in a while.

Yakuza 0 - This game is a master of tone and how it effortlessly switches between comedy and drama and make it feel right is remarkable. Also Majima.

Hollow Knight - It's just a standout Metroidvania. I've played a ton of these type of games and enjoyed most of them a lot but something about Hollow Knight just makes it special enough that when I think about Metroidvania nowadays moments from this game flash inside my head.

There are more games(like NierA especially NierA) but right now in this moment my head is on what I experienced in these 4 games.

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my top five (in order):

1. breath of the wild
2. destiny 2
3. persona 5
4. super mario odyssey
5. hellblade

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
1. NieR Automata (Not just my favorite game of this year but one of my favorites of all time. I can't really express how much I loved this game for various reasons. It just spoke to me on so many levels. The dlc ended up being pretty disappointing though)

2. Breath of the Wild (What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? It very much lived up to the hype and ended up being a damn masterpiece. Just wish that the dungeons were up to par with the rest of the series)

3. Persona 5 (I'm actually a little down on this game after putting around a hundred hours into it. Just a bunch of little annoyances that added up over time and I was kinda ready for it to be over by the end. But the battle system is still great and the game just oozes style)

4. Sonic Mania (Best sonic game ever made. Hands down.)

5. Nioh (I adore the ki system in this game and how intense and intricate the combat encounters can get. If you enjoy From Soft games then give this game a spin. Still working my way through this one. The game is long as fuck >_>)

Still plan on playing yakuza 0, horizon, prey, hellblade, mario odyssey, and wolfenstein

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
2. Resident Evil 7
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Horizon Zero Dawn

That's probably my top 4 at the moment. I haven't sunk enough time into Mario yet to put it on any list, but that will be somewhere in my top ten for sure.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
SUPERHOT VR
Resident Evil 7
The Evil Within 2
Splatoon 2
Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

This year has been an absolute embarrassment of riches.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Zelda: BotW
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Yakuza 0
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. Pyre
  6. Prey
  7. Nier: Automata
  8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  9. Resident Evil 7
  10. Tekken 7

Theres still so much to play. What a fantastic year for vidya.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Breath of the Wild and Mass Effect Andromeda. Andromeda wasn't the greatest, but neither was this year in gaming.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
This year has been so good!

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Pyre
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. NIOH
5. Splatoon 2

GOAT: Rocket League

I haven't played Odyssey yet