• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
They're weird, but I don't personally give a shit what consenting adults want to do with each other.

Everyone's got kinks and fetishes and no one can really criticize others who aren't breaking the law.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
ERA: Why are y'all so obsessed with furries/MLP fans?

Why we gotta have a thread about this every week?

Why y'all posting on a video game forums full of cut out hentai avatars gotta shit all over other niche fandoms?
It's fun for some to find an angle to feel "normal". For some on the outside, this forum's constant obsession with video games, Star Wars and anime would look just as perverse as wearing a fur suit. But not enough people internalize that. People's preoccupation with "normal" astounds me since it can be defined any way by any one. Just live your life and let other's live there's if they're not harming anyone. (And I don't want to hear nonsense about "not causing harm is a low bar to clear". In this case we're talking about people who draw themselves as anthropomorphic animals and wear the equivalent of sports mascot costumes. No matter how you feel, that in and of itself isn't an abomination. Just a hobby like any other. It's about as "weird" as collecting plastic in the shape of anime women or spending hundreds to make clothes that make you look like a space marine.)

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not into it, but it doesn't bother me. As long as they're not hurting anyone it's fine. Everybody has their own interests/fetishes.

More bothered by all the people who shit on them all the time, especially people on this forum. Like people that think this is some stupid nerd hierarchy like, "oh I spend all my by time on a videogame forum but at least I'm not like them"

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I have two friends that are furries. They're a couple, they met thanks to it, and currently one (let's say A) is involved with the fandom to a bigger degree than the other (lets say B). I see it as basically every group in the world. There is good people, and there is bad people. They can be a really, really insular bunch and they have quite a bit of traditions and non-written rules that can get a bit confusing for outsiders. I've learnt quite a bit about them over the years, since B usually talk to me about the problems he has with A, which often involve the fandom. Certain elements of the group have emotionally harmed A quite a bit, but the world is full of manipulative asshats so I won't say it's the fandom fault.

I knew a person who earnt quite a bit of money as an artist by fullfilling requests from other furries too, it seems. Like, one people will ask him to draw his and another person's furry in certain (often sexual) contexts, and the artist would get paid for it.

I don't know. I think I have relatively normalized them due to having had contact with them. But there is no denying that they are a really strange bunch. The need to find a second identity or alter ego can be routed in self-steem issues, and seemingly quite a few people get into it as a form of escapism. I'm not one to judge though, it's not like trying to escape reality is exclusive to them.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
13 pages in and we still got people going "Weird fetish" or "weird kink" despite a good dozen people saying that for most furries, it isn't that at all--it's just an art style they really like.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
13 pages in and we still got people going "Weird fetish" or "weird kink" despite a good dozen people saying that for most furries, it isn't that at all--it's just an art style they really like.

See, I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Anyone who doesn't accept furries is either going to catch a warning or a ban, so the only response in this thread is, "eh, do you."

So, what are we discussing? What's the pupose of this thread?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See, I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Anyone who doesn't accept furries is either going to catch a warning or a ban, so the only response in this thread is, "eh, do you."

I think the majority opinion here is shades of "no thanks" and I'm not seeing many bans if any. It's a fairly reasonable position.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

Highlight how shallow the spectrum of opinions is I guess.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
ew furries

/s

You'll be surprised to learn that most of us don't have fursuits, can use deodorant, and don't have sex at conventions.

Also, a staggering number of us are queer antifascists. ✊

Which came first, the furry or the furry cartoon?

The furry. The oldest human artifact ever found is a 40,000-year-old Ice Age lion-man.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm noone to kink shame since I'm kind of a pervert as well but it's nothing for me lol. Let people be weird, noone is getting harmed.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I don't quite understand the mindset/psychology required to adopt any sort of dress subculture (goth, punk, drag, furry, etc), but it appears to be a thing, and it doesn't hurt anyone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Don't get how this response relates to the post you quoted. You don't have to accept the furry fandom. Just don't imply I have a fetish when I don't. But so long as you don't hurt anyone, hate what you hate.

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I read the first page and didn't see any warnings. Bronson, how hard can we go in on this?

Overall, I've never cared about what other people do in their free time or how they lead their lives, as long as it's not hurting others.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Who was the artist behind that dope ass French furry comic I saw earlier? That stuff looked amazing.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Resetera sanctioned recruitment campaign.
Shhhhh.

It's meant to be a secret.

You'll be surprised to learn that most of us don't have fursuits, can use deodorant, and don't have sex at conventions.

Also, a staggering number of us are queer antifascists. ✊

Who was the artist behind that dope ass French furry comic I saw earlier? That stuff looked amazing.

That'sBlacksad, it's awesome. The artist is Juanjo Guarnido

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's whatever. I don't subscribe to the kink or the art style but I don't have problems with it. Kink shaming people is rude, and there's plenty of other art I can go and look at. *shrug*

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then you probably never met one.

I don't know why you're thinking that all furries are obnoxiously loud about putting their interest into everyone's faces, but that's not the case. If that was the case, I doubt many of us would keep their jobs to afford the expensive art we're getting.
There are some who are outwardly furry, yes, but the majority are silent about it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The subculture casts a wide enough net across the planet at this point in its lifespan that anyone who lives in a major metropolitan area has probably met or even talked to one before.

Just, again, we don't normally wear our suits and badges to work.

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand now after watching a documentary of a guy attending very niche conventions and going to a furry con.

Being a furry isn't instantly defaulted to a fetish/kink. Some people just feel happy when they dress up as an animal, in a similar way some people like to cosplay.

I don't personally understand why people enjoy dressing up as animals, but I feel their community gets a lot of shit because they are perceived a lot as sexual deviants.

Most of them just seem to be normal people who just like dressing up as animals.

Chozoman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hometown of Pittsburgh hosts one of the largest cons in existence, (I believe). My wife and I watched a live stream of the convention hall for the "Parade" portion. Everyone was polite, happy, welcoming and enthusiastic.

In addition, the craftsmanship on some of the costumes was staggering. They seem like a good group that thoroughly enjoys their community, (and welcomes outsiders).

For the life of me, I can't understand the vitriol that gets spewed at them.

TBH, I'm surprised at a large portion of the comments posted here; Resetera being a supposedly open, welcoming community that highly values diversity and acceptance. Apparently, only towards certain, accepted groups.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
disgusting-gif-2.gif

I find it creepy, but they aren't harming anyone.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know why you're thinking that all furries are obnoxiously loud about putting their interest into everyone's faces, but that's not the case. If that was the case, I doubt many of us would keep their jobs to afford the expensive art we're getting.
There are some who are outwardly furry, yes, but the majority are silent about it.

I know just taking a piss, sorry

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally i am fine with whatever fetish and kink people like or how people dress up as long as it is not illegal things then i am fine with whatever anyone does or likes.

I first was a bit eh to furries but as i said in a post earlier one of my moms friends is one and that friends daugther too and they actually help insecure or peeps with mental issues or anxiety go out more, so it's for a good cause too. So that opened me up to these kind of things and communities.

I see no harm in it and there is always the outliers who make it look weird.

And besides i just always liked weird and crazy things tbh cuz honestly i am crazy lol but not too crazy ofcourse! Or in a bad way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i am not a furrie myself tho but i do not mind whoever is we all can be friends.

TBH, I'm surprised at a large portion of the comments posted here; Resetera being a supposedly open, welcoming community that highly values diversity and acceptance. Apparently, only towards certain, accepted groups.
Yup agreed, still a very good place compared to others imo and the moderation team luckily is on point with that mindset. But honestly we have so many members here it's uninviteable tbh.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Resetera being a supposedly open, welcoming community that highly values diversity and acceptance.

That's really sweet of you to think that.

I don't personally understand why people enjoy dressing up as animals,

For me personally, it stems from my interest in character acting, specifically as it ties to animation. Mascoting, specifically at Disney World, is rooted in the idea of using broad thoughtful gestures to entertain and give the illusion that a talking cartoon animal could be real even if the participants are rationally aware it's fake, which to me is no different from the psychological engagement people give to animated films. It's the same principle of suspension of disbelief, but simply in a different medium, and I find it fascinating to see how people react to me when they play along.

Also, the ability to shed the social context that comes with being a human or identifiable character with history allows a performer to break boundaries in friendly ways (my go-to move is to steal hats or-temporarily-someone's food, although I've heard stories of people getting laughs by actually throwing people's food away and challenging them to do something about it.) There's far, far less historical context in the world and thus societal baggage for, say, "walking teddy bears" compared to "black women." I don't need my fursuit to be confident or function as an adult, as is a common refrain, but I do know the masking of myself in this way gives me greater leeway to be friendlier and more playful than I otherwise would be able to.

Now I imagine that extends to all cosplay to some degree, but my thing with cosplay is that you're bound to a specific characterization because you're likely dressing up as an official character (and there aren't a whole lot of black women for me to choose). With fursuiting, it's your own creation, so you get to act however you want and still perform properly.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
No negative or positive feelings towards them, but I am curious about the sexual fursuit aspect of it.
Is it just dry humping at that point?
Wouldn't mind attending an event out of curiosity as long as my personal space is respected but that applies to any where at any time really lol.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I am, in general, weirded out by the concept. It's a world that I don't understand and I don't have an interest in understanding it. While I'm not personally interested and while I'd probably feel a little insecure/unsettled if I were surrounded by a group of furries at some public event, if some people enjoy it and they don't hurt other people in their enjoyment of it, then it's OK with me.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No negative or positive feelings towards them, but I am curious about the sexual fursuit aspect of it.
Is it just dry humping at that point?

In some cases, yes, but people who use fursuits to have sex usually have holes in the important places.

Wouldn't mind attending an event out of curiosity as long as my personal space is respected but that applies to any where at any time really lol.

Your personal space will be respected.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hometown of Pittsburgh hosts one of the largest cons in existence, (I believe). My wife and I watched a live stream of the convention hall for the "Parade" portion. Everyone was polite, happy, welcoming and enthusiastic.

In addition, the craftsmanship on some of the costumes was staggering. They seem like a good group that thoroughly enjoys their community, (and welcomes outsiders).

For the life of me, I can't understand the vitriol that gets spewed at them.

That's how it was on NeoGAF, of course that's how it is here lol

I also love the assumption that being a furry automatically means you don't do well in life or are mentally unstable or something. There are fucking politicians that are furries, openly. Y'all getting your idea of furries from really shitty media designed to shock when in reality 90% of furries just live their life as a normal person and consume the art, wear suit, etc. as a hobby.

Oct 25, 2017
That's really sweet of you to think that.

For me personally, it stems from my interest in character acting, specifically as it ties to animation. Mascoting, specifically at Disney World, is rooted in the idea of using broad thoughtful gestures to entertain and give the illusion that a talking cartoon animal could be real even if the participants are rationally aware it's fake, which to me is no different from the psychological engagement people give to animated films. It's the same principle of suspension of disbelief, but simply in a different medium, and I find it fascinating to see how people react to me when they play along.

Also, the ability to shed the social context that comes with being a human or identifiable character with history allows a performer to break boundaries in friendly ways (my go-to move is to steal hats or-temporarily-someone's food, although I've heard stories of people getting laughs by actually throwing people's food away and challenging them to do something about it.) There's far, far less historical context in the world and thus societal baggage for, say, "walking teddy bears" compared to "black women." I don't need my fursuit to be confident or function as an adult, as is a common refrain, but I do know the masking of myself in this way gives me greater leeway to be friendlier and more playful than I otherwise would be able to.

Now I imagine that extends to all cosplay to some degree, but my thing with cosplay is that you're bound to a specific characterization because you're likely dressing up as an official character (and there aren't a whole lot of black women for me to choose). With fursuiting, it's your own creation, so you get to act however you want and still perform properly.

Ah right. The documentary I talked about goes into that idea that people who dress up feel like they can perform and act and they get enjoyment out of interacting with people whether it be hugging, being friendly, or the things you described.

It's been a while since I saw it, and thank you for reminding me that is an aspect of the play. The documentary removed the notion I previously had of "furry" being a sex thing.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Check my Reddit history if you can find it. Had an argument with some furries when they took over Splatoon. But hey bro, do you. Not everyone wants to see it, though. Any fan base can be annoying, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.