• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, a series cut short.

But I feel the chapter leaves the series in a good a spot as one could hope for as an ending.

There's enough hints towards where the story would go for folk to piece things together. The art work and final page just really hit deep, given the context in the real world and story.

An absolute behemoth of a story. 10,000 years from now humanity will look back on this series as we do the tales of Gilgamesh

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
no idea how guts would have been able to kill griffith or even got close to him. at least casca was finally able to be freed and guts found some happiness seeing her go back to her old self.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
no idea how guts would have been able to kill griffith or even got close to him. at least casca was finally able to be freed and guts found some happiness seeing her go back to her old self.
Felt the moonlight boy wearing the Berserk armor hinted at him ultimately bringing down Griffith.... somehow

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
What was going to happen? I imagine this chapter was going to stir the pot quite a bit and set up the next major (maybe final) arc, but I just don't know how grand the final arc was going to be. Like, even fighting the Falconian Army's monsters seems like a long shot, let alone the entire God Hand, whom Guts still can't even touch.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What was going to happen? I imagine this chapter was going to stir the pot quite a bit and set up the next major (maybe final) arc, but I just don't know how grand the final arc was going to be. Like, even fighting the Falconian Army's monsters seems like a long shot, let alone the entire God Hand, whom Guts still can't even touch.

I'm not really even sure if the intended story was for Guts to take down the God Hand. This was always a story about him and Griffith

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is incredibly sad, but i feel at least happy that, even if it was not supposed to be the end point for them, we had some closure for guts and casca in the final arc we got.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guts chose to help Casca over his desire for revenge.

There's something beautiful about that.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really even sure if the intended story was for Guts to take down the God Hand. This was always a story about him and Griffith
i don't think for a second this story was ever going to have what you call a good ending for the characters in it. my guess is that guts would die and somehow take griffith to hell with him or something like that.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, Casca came back and there's a bit of happiness in such a bleak story. I imagine a lot more tragedy if the story continued.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They got off the boat and Casca was essentially revived so it's ok.

Would've been cool if Miura had gotten to do a Skull Knight flashback arc.

main-qimg-4df688dc47adf7d804700ccb39bfbbed

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My guess is the focus would have been less angry revenge Guts trying to kill Griffith and a more resolved, mature Guts killing Femto to "save the soul of the moonlit child/Griffith".

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think for a second this story was ever going to have what you call a good ending for the characters in it. my guess is that guts would die and somehow take griffith to hell with him or something like that.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's quite right. Guts's story has been one where he's been brought unimaginably low by Griffith, and he's been rebuilding himself slowly up since then. The trajectory Guts was on would have him realizing at some point the emptiness that his desire for revenge would leave him, and how his real purpose is in protecting those he loves around him in his own imperfect way. If he does end off with a sacrificial act, he'd do so knowing the owed time he's living on is now done, and his last act can bring salvation to his loved ones. It would be the ultimate redemption for a character like Guts

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always imagined Guts's story ending with him in a position similar to what Griffith imagined right before the Eclipse, with him permanently crippled and living with Casca, who's taking care of him and their child. The difference being that unlike Griffith, Guts is happy with this scenario and appreciates what he has. It'd be a bittersweet yet heartwarming tone and would bring the series full circle.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It was a bittersweet note to end on, in its own way it feels like an ending. I choose to think that the moonlight child and the attachment to their parents was going to be Griffiths undoing. There was never going to be a final battle.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I always imagined Guts's story ending with him in a position similar to what Griffith imagined right before the Eclipse, with him permanently crippled and living with Casca, who's taking care of him and their child. The difference being that unlike Griffith, Guts is happy with this scenario and appreciates what he has. It'd be a bittersweet yet heartwarming tone and would bring the series full circle.
Wow, this is a great take. It'd like to believe this was the trajectory too now, it's a beautiful symmetry.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As good as it could have been under the circumstances.

The series was a good 10-15 years away from being properly finished. Maybe more, considering how relatively little happened in 10 years.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Griffith loses no matter what and the only time he was happy was when he had the memories of the moonlight boy. It was a fine ending because it sort of spelled out what was going to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just absolutely grateful that Guts was able to see Casca get saved and experience a moment of relative peace under Miura's pen. The biggest weight on his mind was the choice between accepting this new path of calm with the restored love of his life, or pursuing the bloodstained path in putting an end to Griffith (which in all likelihood would have killed him). We're left to imagine that choice and conversation with Griffith's appearance before Guts and Casca as the final panel. It's beautiful in a poetic way and I wouldn't mind if we never found out what happens next.

I'm sure the editors and his team are planning on how to conclude the legacy of this work in either manga, film or show, but I'm very at peace with where it stopped. Any sooner where Casca was still a shell would have been devastating.

Tangentially, I am terrified of Oda passing before the end of One Piece. I don't think I'd ever be able to get over that.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
It's not over?

It officially hasn't been cancelled and most likely his editors will find a way to continue it one way or another
I mean yeah, something could still happen. But it would be highly unusual. This kind of stuff doesn't usually happen with manga and Japan is a country that often retires characters when their VAs die. Unless he left some elaborate plan/will, I think things are probably over.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Felt the moonlight boy wearing the Berserk armor hinted at him ultimately bringing down Griffith.... somehow
Judging from the last scene the boy turned out to be some manifestation of Griffith himself? So him bringing him down seems unlikely. Good god I hope the old staff continues the manga, still can't believe it.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the past year has sucked so bad. I initially wanted the series to not continue without Miura, but now I really hope it continues in some form. He must have a trusted assistant. Or some Sanderson like author that can shepherd it to the end.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sadly, a series cut short.

But I feel the chapter leaves the series in a good a spot as one could hope for as an ending.

There's enough hints towards where the story would go for folk to piece things together. The art work and final page just really hit deep, given the context in the real world and story.

An absolute behemoth of a story. 10,000 years from now humanity will look back on this series as we do the tales of Gilgamesh
That's a…bold statement.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like the idea of there not being any final fight and Guts just moving on to be with his loved ones.

In my eyes, that's Griffith's ultimate L. To inflict so much pain onto the people that had revered him only to see them pick themselves back up and still find warmth in one another.

I'm still heartbroken about Miura passing.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the past year has sucked so bad. I initially wanted the series to not continue without Miura, but now I really hope it continues in some form. He must have a trusted assistant. Or some Sanderson like author that can shepherd it to the end.

It's probably not likely to happen, but I imagine that if the team who helped with the manga decide to continue it they do it as a semi-separate series that's based on the previous series. That way if it doesn't work out it doesn't affect the original works.

Sad that Miura's life got cut short.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
If it had to somewhere other than where intended, I can't imagine a more perfect place to leave off.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Awful. I'd rather have had the series go out on a whimper than at what was obviously going to be a major pivot in the plot. Not having a good understanding of where the story was going to go is going to bother me forever.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Nice to see Casca back, but it looks like it was going to get super interesting, so it's too bad that we didn't get to see what would have happened with Griffith and Guts.