• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
He hasn't posted any content to IGN since e3, and he's been absent from podcasts as well as social media since early June.

Today, Reddit pointed out that his name has been removed from IGN's content team webpage. and I found his old staff page on IGN which now directs to an error page.

There's been speculation that it has to deal in some form with Alanah's departure, but nobody knows for sure. I really enjoyed his presence on the IGN podcasts, but it looks like he is no longer with the site.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Pure speculation but this has the hallmarks of some form of settlement agreement meaning NDAs across the board for all parties.

Without official disclouse I'm not sure what can be ascertained without delving into wild rumour territory.

OP
OP
Coolduderedux

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Pure speculation but this has the hallmarks of some form of settlement agreement meaning NDAs across the board for all parties.

Without official disclouse I'm not sure what can be ascertained without delving into wild rumour territory.

It must be. One of their main faces is suddenly absent from their site and podcast with no explanation for nearly two months. Are they just hoping that nobody brings it up?

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Someone brought this up when Alanah left (a bunch of IGN folks unfollowed him, including her I believe even though they started a podcast together fairly recently). I hate to speculate because it could be nothing and it might be something quite personal that people don't want discussed, but it is a very strange situation.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard even a tiny sliva of information regarding his work at IGN lately. Hard to know what it could mean.

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Hes relationship with alanah was strange so im guess he did something to her or someone else

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
Hes relationship with alanah was strange so im guess he did something to her or someone else

That's a pretty baseless speculation that can be really damaging to someone's image if it's untrue. I get that it's an easy conclusion to come to but without any evidence to support it, it's incredibly reckless to even float that idea out there.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Every time I look at the comments section of an IGN video it's just filled with people asking what happened to this Marty fella.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This subject has been making the rounds across the internet. Always turns into rampant speculation that he harassed Alanah. IGN has not commented and I doubt we will get anywhere further here.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Not sure why everybody is jumping to the conclusion that this has something to do with Alanah Pearce's departure from IGN. She made a video recently saying she got a new job and doesn't want to talk about it until all of the visa details are worked out:

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it has to do with Alanah. She doesn't seem to speak ill of him so I don't think jumping to that conclusion is right. Not saying nothing went down but let's not go there

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I did ask Peer and several others to at least mention if he is ok, but no answer. I guess we'll find out later.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Not cool to assume he harassed a former employee. We will eventually find out the truth.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
His best friend and pretty much everyone at ign ( and previous ign employees ) have unfollowed him on Twitter, it's obvious shit went down. Although after what's happened at ign in regards to sexual assaults before I would have thought they would have come out with statement already.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The guy could be sick and asking people to respect his privacy. Don't go slandering the guy when there is absolutely no evidence.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Well it's clearly something dodgy. I saw on reddit folks mention he was unfollowed by ign colleagues and some of the kinda funny crew

With this in mind, and the fact he is no longer featured anymore On ign, also he rarely tweets...think it's only normal to presume what happened will not paint him in a good light

Oct 25, 2017
His best friend and pretty much everyone at ign ( and previous ign employees ) have unfollowed him on Twitter, it's obvious shit went down. Although after what's happened at ign in regards to sexual assaults before I would have thought they would have come out with statement already.
I don't want to be THAT guy, but you mean harassment, IGN (to my knowledge) didn't have an assault issue. It's just weird when people use that interchangeably.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
IGN has never been the same without Matt C.
Oh man... those were the days.

Yeah, it is strange, but I don't think we should start speculating on shit when from what I know there aren't even any allegations against him. Maybe we'll find out in the future what happened. Maybe not, I guess.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The mass unfollowing does seem to paint this in an unfavorable manner. I really liked him on the podcasts, but there is definitely something that can't be brought up in public.

OP
OP
Coolduderedux

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard not to speculate when a podcast host stops appearing during the busiest time of the (gaming) year, and no mention of him has been made after nearly two months. Time goes by and people start to do investigating on their own. Alanah's name tends to get thrown into the mix because the two started a podcast together earlier in the year and a few episodes in, his name is scrubbed from all promotional material. Soon after that, Alanah leaves. Sure there isn't a direct and official correlation between the two, but when the company itself doesn't make mention of anything in the wake of issues with transparency with the sexual assault claims, one can only assume they are related.

If it's something personal with Marty, then of course we wish him the best. When Bryan took some time away for personal issues, it was mentioned. Since everyone seems to have probably been told not to mention him, I have to assume that it wasn't something personal.

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I've been wondering this as well. He hasn't been on any podcasts for quite a while. Looked at his Twitter around e3 and saw some activity so I figured he was fine.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
While we don't want to be damning with our rhetoric it is pretty clear that, due to all the unfollowing by coworkers and even former coworkers, something happened that one or all parties involved would rather not publicize at this time. Had he just fell off the map with colleagues expressing concern and compassion maybe it wouldn't look suspicious. Granted I don't know the guy, and it's just as possible that he is the victim of foul play as any other possibility. I do not however subscribe to the Harassment narrative. Let's just no pretend there is absolutely nothing puzzling about this situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolduderedux

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard not to speculate when a podcast host stops appearing during the busiest time of the (gaming) year, and no mention of him has been made after nearly two months. Time goes by and people start to do investigating on their own. Alanah's name tends to get thrown into the mix because the two started a podcast together earlier in the year and a few episodes in, his name is scrubbed from all promotional material. Soon after that, Alanah leaves. Sure there isn't a direct and official correlation between the two, but when the company itself doesn't make mention of anything in the wake of issues with transparency with the sexual assault claims, one can only assume they are related.

If it's something personal with Marty, then of course we wish him the best. When Bryan took some time away for personal issues, it was mentioned. Since everyone seems to have probably been told not to mention him, I have to assume that it wasn't something personal.

Harassment, not assault. Very different.

I'm just referencing what I'm sure tomofthepops was referring to in his post.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
He probably did something to get unfollowed but it could literally be anything so making it out to be harrasmemt against a specific person is a stretch. He couldve beat his wife or embezzled money for all I know.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
It might not be harassment but he did something super shitty that his ign crew disowned him, they're a super tight crew to the point where even when you leave to another job they joke about them still and show up on each others side projects. This dude fell off the map like completely, and it's like he doesn't exist. Him and Alannah were super close too, and I don't know the exact timelines but she talked about her boyfriend often on unlocked recently, so most stories naturally go down that dark route. Whatever it is, hope the dude gets help, always liked him on the podcasts.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I recently started listening to ign podcasts again and was wondering where that goofball was. Hope everything's going ok, but the evidence people are floating around in here sure paints an unfavorable picture.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
He probably did something to get unfollowed but it could literally be anything so making it out to be harrasmemt against a specific person is a stretch. He couldve beat his wife or embezzled money for all I know.
I was leaning towards something that might demand an internal or maybe even criminal investigation. So instead of NDAs nobody can speak lest the investigation be seized and judged by the court of public opinion versus the proper authority.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just checked two of IGN's biggest names Peer Schneider and Ryan McCaffery and they are both still following Marty, so it's not like the whole company has unfollowed him.

Edit: The official IGN twitter is still following him as well.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
It might not be harassment but he did something super shitty that his ign crew disowned him, they're a super tight crew to the point where even when you leave to another job they joke about them still and show up on each others side projects. This dude fell off the map like completely, and it's like he doesn't exist. Him and Alannah were super close too, and I don't know the exact timelines but she talked about her boyfriend often on unlocked recently, so most stories naturally go down that dark route. Whatever it is, hope the dude gets help, always liked him on the podcasts.
She released a vid about her departure. She specifically stated it was a new opportunity that led her to leave ign. If there was an NDA involved she wouldn't be even able to say that.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
C'mon, guys. Let's not go accusing the guy of all sorts when his departure could be down to any number of reasons. I understand that the circumstances do seem unusual, but I'm sure it's all perfectly innocent.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a gossip thread. This is mostly a gossip forum. Gossip=speculation. That's what I thought we were here to do. Or do you only like to "gossip" on certain topics.
Speculation about games is fine. Rampant speculation about the personal lives of people in the industry without any basis in fact is usually frowned upon, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.