• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
GLdW5V8bUAAG5kv
Pleeeeeaaaasssseee

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The slow release schedule. One movie every 2-3 years. This is they key to its success imo. If we started getting 3 monster movies a year id drop this shit so fast.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider it a universe.

There's a movie with a big monke.

There's a movie with a big gecko.

Sometimes they're in the same movie.

I don't know, all I care is the big monsters fight other big monsters and shit blows up.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Big monsters hit things!

The slow release schedule. One movie every 2-3 years. This is they key to its success imo. If we started getting 3 mosnter movies a year id drop this shit so fast.
These two posts right here. We're simple people. We love seeing big monsters destroy cities while actively trying to fight each other and we love that these movies aren't getting ridiculously milked to the point where its been oversaturated already.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, it was because of Covid.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a flop and would've sunk the franchise, but Godzilla vs. Kong was already pretty much finished (at least, the filming), Covid happened so almost all production on other movies was paused, so they were like "Well, let's just finish Godzilla vs. Kong, so we at least have one big movie we can release whenever cinemas open up again".

So they did, it was a huge success and the rest is history. Without Covid the franchise would've likely been killed off after KotM.

Haven't the majority of their films not done super well? Godzilla King of the Monsters notoriously underperformed and Godzilla x Kong came out during covid. It really seems to have survived based on executives belief in the IP. New Empire (is that the name) is doing well though so it seems their faith has paid off. But at this point I doubt Godzilla or Kong get solo movies so is it really even a cinematic universe?
You're remembering wrong. Yes, King of the Monsters underperformed, but otherwise these movies have done very well.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island all made over half a billy at the BO and Godzilla vs. Kong also made almost 500k at the BO (which is very impressive for something that went to streaming less than two months later and was released when most cinemas were at least partly closed).

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
they only put out a movie every 2-3 years. i'd see that.

i won't see a new monsterverse movie every 6 months or even yearly.

spend enough so the VFX is good, have a good ratio of monster/humans - its been improving every movie - and making it goofy but not too goofy, a little serious but not too serious - and people will show up.

Jason Statham has released 50 movies in his career, every single one of them in theaters, and almost all of them have been profitable. He gets it. The Beekeeper is not high art, but its the right budget, it comes out at the right time, it is easy enough to watch, and he's built that fan base.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
IIRC Godzilla v Kong was going to be the last one because they weren't doing so hot. Wingard turned that shit all the way around and said let the people see monsters fight in a well-lit battleground.
My hope is that they just take it to its logical conclusion and remove the human element almost entirely. Make these movies like the "live-action" Lion King, or better yet, like Prehistoric Planet.

Mango Pilot

Alt account
Banned
Apr 8, 2024
Because it's not a "cinematic universe."

Its just a adding another IP to an existing franchise sequels who already has had a history with cross over characters including King Kong over 60 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
It's more of a series than a universe. It doesn't have a lot of moving parts. There's not much of a web of interconnected but segregated stories. In older days people would just call some of this stuff "spinoffs." It's still primarily one film series right now.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's barely "cinematic universe". It's two long running franchises having some crossovers.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
The secret is they wanted it to be a cinematic universe, probably with spin-offs for Mothra, Rodan etc. But then KotM underperformed and GvK did great, that gave them the chance to pivot away from the cinematic universe formula and to a regular franchise. We won't see solo movies for Godzilla and Kong anymore, and anything else that releases like Monarch is firmly in the spin-off category. In that sense it's no different from Fast & Furious 1-3 being all over the place before settling on a main cast and formula.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well, yeah, Godzilla has been a cinematic universe for long before Avengers, for one. Lots of the monsters in these films started out in their own movies originally.

It's only really this, MCU, and The Conjuring that have seen any sustained success.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
When did that happen?!?
If you look up some videos concerning pacific rim interviews his plan was to reveal that is was us all along that were sending the Kaiju back to help terraform the planet so that they could live in it.

In an interview with The Wrap to promote Nightmare Alley, del Toro shed some details on his plans for Pacific Rim 2 and teased a very different film than what was released. Del Toro said audiences would have discovered the precursors, the ones who control the kaijus, were in fact humans from the distant future. He also intended Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) to be the lead of the film.

"The villain was this tech guy that had invented basically sort of the internet 2.0. And then they realized that all his patents came to him one morning. And so little by little, they started putting together this and they said, 'Oh, he got them from the precursors.' The guys that control the kaiju. And then we found out that the precursors are us thousands of years in the future. They're trying to terraform, trying to re-harvest the earth to survive. Wow. And that we were in exo-bio-suits that looked alien, but they were not. We were inside. And it was a really interesting paradox...To me, the hero was Mako Mori. I wanted her not only to live, I wanted her to be one of the main characters in the second movie"

Also

Del Toro's original idea for Pacific Rim 2 of making the creators of the kaiju turn out to be humans would have tied into a line from the first film which was also a title for one of the songs on the soundtrack 'To Fight Monsters, We Created Monster.' That future humans create kaiju to save their own future, for their present-day ancestors to create their own monsters to fight their future.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's a consistent IP that people are familiar with, but haven't been overexposed to yet. Both Kong & Godzilla are iconic characters, and the MonsterVerse has been pretty smart with changing up the style over the course of different projects. Plus unlike other cinematic universes - they don't seem to obsess about continuity or bringing back characters from past movies unless it's needed. A total rando can walk into Godzilla x Kong with no familiarity of the past films, and still be fundamentally satisfied by the story.

Same reason why The Conjuring has kept going as a "connected universe" - you can walk into The Nun II without even having seen The Nun I (much less the whole franchise), and still get the "creepy Nun movie" that was advertised to you. Compare that to The Marvels, where you basically need to have seen two seasons of Disney+ TV shows to get properly introduced to the characters.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically just a series of sequels and a show. There is little 'Verse' about it. So it doesn't have the same pitfalls

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In our showing of GxK, one of the kids there had a Kong toy about half his size. It filled me with hope that kids still love this concept. That's why these monsters are gonna be popular well into the future.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
Its big monsters punching the shit out of each other for a couple hours straight. and kids seem to love it too. not to mention people love the kind of stuff where you can just turn your brain off and watch something. i assume Transformers just isnt scratching the itch people have for dumb bombastic fights and want something else.

Jan 20, 2024
It's fun and the first two or three films were really well made.

Skull Island and KoTM are two of my favorite films of all time. Godzilla vs. Kong & Godzilla x Kong have moved a little too far into B territory but still, decent outings.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Well, yeah, Godzilla has been a cinematic universe for long before Avengers, for one. Lots of the monsters in these films started out in their own movies originally.
That's true, Godzilla developed quite a large cast of characters when the folks at Toho realized they could recycle the suits bring in other monsters to expand the world. If nothing else, it gave Godzilla someone to pal around with on Monster Island.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Because they're not over-reaching. It's not four billion characters with movies based on each monster. It's simple sequels/prequels, a spinoff tv show that largely functions on its own, and what I imagine are reasonable expectations and budgets.

It IS funny tho that the series would have been dead if it wasn't for GvK being done already and Covid.

What a wild turn of events that I'm grateful for.

And in general, I guess it just makes sense that one of the originators of the "cinematic universe" continues to thrive even 70-ish years later.