• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WoW or FFXIV?

• WoW

Votes: 162 15.9%
  • FFXIV

Votes: 859 84.1%

• Total voters

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Looking for players of both games, relapsed players and players who have jumped ship and gone to the other side. (or even the crazy ones who are playing both at the same time).

I haven't played WoW since the very early Cataclysm days, and FFXIV never tickled my interest, but over the years, I've watched it grow from what was essentially a dead game into this flourishing and successful comback story. Not sure at what point WoW is in at the moment.

Why do you like the above preferred MMO of choice? Anything that you've been disappointing over the past years that caused you to leave one to only go and try the other?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there seems to be a lot of passion coming from the 14 crowd these days which is nice to see

as for me im fine with runescape on my phone

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers is largely considered the best xpac to FF14, and shows all the strengths of the game and the genre.

BFA general consensus seems to be it's the worst WoW xpac and the game is haemorrhaging players, mostly to FF14.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much FF 14, but I have played every WoW expansion since launch. Some were worse than others.

....This is, by far, the worst one I've ever played. I played Warlords of Draenor much more than this one. While this one has more content than the previous ones, almost all the classes feel awful. They completely lack unique identity and their core rotations/functions simply aren't fun. I would wait til at least the next expansion if not longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I was never able to get into WoW and currently taking a break from FFXIV, but I've played over 7000+ hours between FFXI and FFXIV. Haven't tried WoW in over 8 years but I've been invested in the story of FFXIV for so long that I cannot go back. It is to be the best "storytelling" MMO. I'm still two trophies away from getting the Platinum trophy on it, so I need to go back, especially with the new expansion out now.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone who plays WoW hates WoW.

I just started my FFXIV journey and I'm really enjoying it.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Yeah I would for sure say XIV since there's that new expansion. I bet when Blizz does their next expansion people would go back for awhile. Almost all the parties I've been in for alliance and msq and even Eureka up until expansion have been full of WoW refugees.

Luxuria

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Miami, FL
I've heard a lot of good things about the recent WoW patch but as a whole, BFA was a letdown. I enjoyed it at first but I got bored of it after two months. It was basically Legion 2.0 but without the things that made Legion fun.

On the other hand, many people are loving the new 14 expansion; dungeons, quests, and classes.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
BFA is the worst expansion WoW has ever had. I've been playing the new WoW patch and even though 8.2 has brought some cool things, overall the expansion is just a wash. I never liked the gameplay in FFIV but everything else seems to be in a good place so you could try that out. For me WoW Classic is out in a month or so and everything pales in comparison to that imo.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather play WoW in its worst state than ever play FFXIV again. FFXIV is just so boring and bland. Going through Waking Sands fetch quest torture was excruciating. I really hate how your character is leveled down for dungeons or quests, one of the worst things an MMO can do for me. I think WoW started doing the same thing much to my disappointment, but there is always Classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I want to point out that Final Fantasy 14 does have a "free to play" version (if you want to call it that). Basically, you can level up to level 35 with each job class but need the paid version to continue afterward. I am sure WoW has some sort of free version, I am just not sure how that works out.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
WoW is in a pretty bad state at the moment, the developers refuse to listen to feedback, keep removing features people like & replacing them with downgraded content no one likes, i could go on.
I bet even a lot of die hard WoW fans who quit the game & don't even play FFXIV would say FF is better.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WoW is still at #1 for a reason.

BFA is the worst expansion WoW has ever had. I've been playing the new WoW patch and even though 8.2 has brought some cool things, overall the expansion is just a wash. I never liked the gameplay in FFIV but everything else seems to be in a good place so you could try that out. For me WoW Classic is out in a month or so and everything pales in comparison to that imo.
May i remind you this exists
220px-Warlords_of_Draenor_cover.jpg

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're both "bad" at this point.

Wish there more innovations in the MMO space. The genre has stagnated for so long now.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the most excitement in regards to WoW anymore is classic servers. Meanwhile FF 14 just dropped a great expansion. WoW lost that magic.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Warhammer Online :D

For real though, WoW for me. Going from WoW to 14 is a bit too obtuse of a transition. I purchased Heavensward and Stormblood and could not figure things out in an intuitive way and had to resort to guides just to level. Im sure that im an outlier but i wish i could have had a better time with it. Meanwhile 8.2 in WoW is pretty fantastic. Its hard to compare them since you only played early Cataclysm but its similar to MoP timeless isle if you had ever heard of it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't WoW Classic getting great impressions from the betas?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't WoW Classic getting great impressions from the betas?

Even if it is good, I fully expect it to have an insane amount of people playing it... before dropping off a cliff.

I'll play it, as I do have a WoW sub but I expect it to be fun for a bit before remembering why it's hard to play older MMOs.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
I played both and I just find FFXIV really dull in comparison.

Things I prefer from WoW:
  • Movement is a lot more fluid
  • game is more polished
  • The cutscenes are amazing
  • PvP is wayyyy better

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I've never played with WoW so I can't speak from both perspectives but I absolutely love FFXIV. The gameplay is great, being able to change class is awesome, the stories in every expansion is fantastic and the community is super nice.

Nov 1, 2017
World of Warcraft is currently trying to appeal to as many people as possible making things easy but they always go too far. Doesn't help that they repeatedly are found to be out of touch with what people want, both are elements causing the game to be not in a good place right now.

FFXIV's salvation has been nothing short of miraculous.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I prefer the art direction and the world of WoW but the grind (be it azerite or rep) has really gotten out of hand. This is hyperbolic but it's about 2 steps away from mobile ftp cooldown timers but while paying a sub.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I don't know, WoW is at a low point and it needs to be fixed fast but I have tried FF 14 and it is just straight up boring to me. I know it's supposed to get better later but the journey to the first xpac is a slog.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
FFXIV lets me play with a controller and doesnt lock playable races behind absolutely ridiculous timegated AND grindy questlines. So that.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
For someone that has played WoW religiously for a greater part of his life until BFA, XIV hands down.

Haven't had faith in anything Blizzard related for awhile and I have a lot more faith knowing I'm in good hands with XIV.

I'm sick of the bandaid bullshit every expansion. "Don't worry, this patch actually fixes some things"... sick of hearing that every time.

Sick of countless feedback being ignored within their betas and the product releasing that way and it takes them almost a year or so to rectify said issues... yeah no.

If it's WoW, Classic or bust, if not, WoW can die in a pit for all I care.

There's a reason the term "WoW Refugee" is becoming more and more prevalent.

Last edited:

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
WoW Classic on Aug 27th... hold off until then and relive the best game ever.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
& Ion with his galaxy sized brain decides to add a GCD to WoW & slow it all down. taking away WoW's big advantage over FFXIV.
That wasn't Ion's decision. He had left the team and came back for 8.1.5

Anyway Rise of Azshara is an excellent patch and I'm expecting BfA to end on a higher note than Legion

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I dove back into FF14 a couple days ago and have been loving it. No other MMO has been so enjoyable solo & with a party.

No contest.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would be very curious to know how close the WoW private server population is to the retail population at this point. BFA is an absolute dumpster fire and WoW is dead unless they make drastic changes.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh it depends if you only care about casual content FF14 is by far the better game but if you care about pvp or raiding or variety in end game content wow is still by far and away better.
As always when this comes up it's a nuanced topic and it's going to depend on what you want out of the game.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played WoW in about 3 years, but FFXIV has hooked me more than any MMO since WoW pre-2010. So yeah, my vote goes to FFXIV by far.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is in a way better place at the moment i think.

WoW is still great if you want to pve+pvp tho'. You can't do that in FFXIV (Let's act like there's no pvp, it's better for everyone).

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
If you want to come from a story perspective I would say FFXIV all the way even though I don't think it's very good. My biggest problem is there's so much story filler it's unreal and you're basically paying a monthly fee to play a single player game. I have nearly 300 hours and I've never once made it to relevant endgame content. The super long GCD was another thing that puts me off the game and latency is a huge issue with this game if you don't live near the servers. I'm on the east coast USA and my ping to the servers is about 130 at all times. They claim the game is meant to be played at 200 MS but that's a total meme. You constantly get hit by attacks even though you've moved out of the circles over a second before they finish. Some classes also can't even be played optimally at this ping either.

WoW is probably in one of the worst states the game has been in next to WoD. Class design is pretty horrible and the azerite power / essence grind just to keep up is insane. On top of that essences aren't account wide so if you want to play an alt you have to do it all over again.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
WoW is still at #1 for a reason.

May i remind you this exists
220px-Warlords_of_Draenor_cover.jpg

May i remind you this exists:
220px-Cataclysm_Cover_Art.png

In all honesty though WOD could be worse as i have only played WoW from BC to Cata and Cata was so incredibly bad it made me permanently quit the game. I cannot even begin to describe how bad Cataclysm was.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May i remind you this exists:
220px-Cataclysm_Cover_Art.png

In all honesty though WOD could be worse as i have only played WoW from BC to Cata and Cata was so incredibly bad it made me permanently quit the game. I cannot even begin to describe how bad Cataclysm was.
Cataclysm is a goddamn masterpiece compared to WoD. That's a fact.