• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Troll_Brah

Oct 25, 2017
ERA, what a the protocol for trick or treating on non weekend Halloween? Friday (today), Saturday or Tuesday (Halloween)? I haven't gone in years and have forgotten what the deal is, but my now my son is old enough to waddle around the neighborhood so I need to get back in the game. Maybe a better question: is trick or treating even a thing amymore? Seem to see less and less kids each year, but I digress.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You buy chocolate a week earlier to prep for trick or treat visitors, but start eating it as soon as you get home.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's different depending on where you live. Ask around or visit your local newspaper's website to see when the times are. In my city it's 6-8 PM.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Google it. Probably on Halloween but times vary.

I live in Pittsburgh... 5:30-7:30. Not sure if I'll make it back right at 5:30 from work though!

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
Check your town's website. Plus the younger they are, the earlier they should go out during that time frame. (it just keeps the flow moving better)

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If you are over the age of 13 you have no business going door to door asking for handouts.

As long as you're in costume... Why not? What's so terrible about dressing up and getting into the spirit of a cultural celebration? There are far worse things that teenagers could be getting up to. My policy as a candy giver is that everyone wearing a costume of even minimal effort gets some candy.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Are you friends with any other parents in your area? If there are fewer kids trick or treating each year, chances are trick or treating is migrating to a new neighborhood as your own neighborhood gets older. Ask around and drive your kiddo to the candy filled neighborhood.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Follow the dumb rules by your HOA or local by-laws.

If you are over the age of 13 you have no business going door to door asking for handouts.

You'd probably like living in Bathrust, NB.
A537XG8.png

https://www.bathurst.ca/docs/bylaws/2005-17 Relating to Halloweenf(cor).pdf

JdFox17

Oct 26, 2017
I hate how trick-or-treating is so restricted these days. It's still daytime when the allotted time ends in my city. Then again, part of that could be due to the time change being pushed back.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid we always went trick or treating on Halloween day no matter what day of the week it fell on and we had no designated times. Most people started at reasonable times like 6 or 7pm but we definitely stayed out much later and usually without chaperones. Those days are long gone.

My city has announced a designated time of 6-8pm on October 31st (actually on Halloween for once). Check the local paper or with your local government.

AznMan37

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Each town does it differently. Some do it on the actual day. Some pick Friday or Saturday. You have to find that one house that gives out full size candy bars.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If someone comes knocking on the door tonight or tomorrow night, they're not getting anything.

Halloween's always been on Halloween. It's never not been around here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird to see how much Halloween has changed since I was little, and it kinda stinks. Some people still go out and around (always with their parents now, never in groups anymore) but most go to shopping centers. Let me tell you how much it stinks working retail and also being required to do Halloween (most of these were for what my managers had to do with, as I was usually fortunate enough not to work during that time):

Basically, the whole shopping center is required by the owners to buy x amount of candy... with their own money, most of the time. In smaller businesses, it's hard to juggle helping actual customers, and a bunch of kids coming up asking for candy. Then candy runs out FAST because A LOT of kids go by, which require MORE candy runs (and more manager money...) and apparently parents would get pissed at workers that they ran out. These shopping center Halloweens aren't fun for many workers, due to this :/ Just stinks how it can't be traditional anymore, because of people being scared to go outside and whatnot (and I think a lot of neighborhoods just don't care anymore and keep their lights off, too). Also, it's dumb not being ON the 31st anymore. I saw a bunch of signs where it would be starting on the 28th, cause weekend.

plus

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Sandy decimated a lot of the metro area (NJ/NY), my place along with many others were without power during Halloween, so it was a no-go. Our town did an event on the following weekend where people would park their cars in an open parking lot and do a pseudo trick or treat thing where kids can get candy from people's car trunks.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
We always check the local website to see when it is officially held. There are probably official day and hours for your town. Here it was even held on a night other than Halloween.

Still pretty big here but not as big when we lived on the other side of town, and nowhere near as big as it was when I was a kid in another part of the state!

Small town Halloween in the 80s and 90s was huge. Conservative town steeped in tradition made Halloween important. Now in a suburb the conservative people are likely to complain when kids from the city (not this neighborhood) are driven in to trick or treat in a bigger neighborhood. Social class strife playing off on a small scale, sad. We're just gonna do it like normal.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
If someone comes knocking on the door tonight or tomorrow night, they're not getting anything.

Halloween's always been on Halloween. It's never not been around here.
Exactly. I can't even comprehend going trick or treating as a kid on any day other than the 31st.

My wife and I (mostly me) will be handing out candy Tuesday evening, but that's it. If the weather's still nice, I'll probably hang out in the driveway for an hour or two during the "peak" times.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. I can't even comprehend going trick or treating as a kid on any day other than the 31st.

My wife and I (mostly me) will be handing out candy Tuesday evening, but that's it. If the weather's still nice, I'll probably hang out in the driveway for an hour or two during the "peak" times.

Not cool. Many parents force their kids to trick or treat on the weekend. It's not the kids' fault that they can't go out on the actual 31st, but they're the ones who are getting shafted by this policy

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Not cool. Many parents force their kids to trick or treat on the weekend. It's not the kids' fault that they can't go out on the actual 31st, but they're the ones who are getting shafted by this policy
If that's the case, then I will say that many parents suck. My neighborhood is safe and quiet, so it shouldn't be an issue to take them out for an hour or so to grab some candy. We've been there for 8 years now, and I don't ever remember people coming by on any day other than the 31st. I don't think it'll be an issue for us, personally. However, if it gets turned into a "weekend" holiday where the day shifts around for convenience (like Easter, for example), then we'll probably just not participate anymore.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't think I've ever heard of people going Trick-or-Treating on a different day. I know I've never had one at my door. It would be kind of a hassle for me, so hopefully none this year either!

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I've never heard of going on a day other than Halloween. A lot of churches and/or schools will have trunk-or-treats on different days. But actual door-to-door trick-or-treating? That's always been on Halloween in my experience.

97_Mentality

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You buy candy to hand out to trick or treaters then get the same candy back when you send your kids out to trick or treat

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely do it on Halloween evening. I have a 6 and 8 year old, never have we done it on another day, and I'd be shocked if someone knocked at my door on another day. Typically the youngest ones are out with their parents around 6pm, the older kids usually start at 6:30 (when its dark) and linger till 9pm in my area.

I think all neighborhoods go through cycles, we currently have a lot of kids, and I think some local parents who live in apartment complexes drop their kids off in our 'hood (fairly nice single family home development with probably 200 homes) and we are cool with that.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's completely sanitized where I live. It's never actually on Halloween and there are more and more churches in the area hosting Trunk-r-Treat which is baffling. It'll get to the point where I'll have to tell my future kids how great Halloween was back in my day. I'll partially blame helicopter parenting and conservatism.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I just learned the other day that some communities move it away from the weekends to allow for high school/college football and church.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard of people going Trick-or-Treating on a different day. I know I've never had one at my door. It would be kind of a hassle for me, so hopefully none this year either!

I havent either. Its always on Halloween, regardless of day of the week.

And never go to a door that doesnt have their porch light on, even if you know they are home. I always thought that was universal too, but every year we have 1 or 2 people come to our door.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always set by the city here. Often times they'll move it if the 31st falls on a Friday or Saturday because of increased traffic on those days plus the increase in drunk drivers.

The local news will have a listing of all the times for various cities and suburbs in your area. Ours is always from 6-8 and it gets pretty crazy. Most people just hang out in their driveway with friends and hand out candy to the kids , usually have booze and maybe a fire pit going. Our neighbors across the street last year had jello shots for the adults walking their kids around lol.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ERA, what a the protocol for trick or treating on non weekend Halloween? Friday (today), Saturday or Tuesday (Halloween)? I haven't gone in years and have forgotten what the deal is, but my now my son is old enough to waddle around the neighborhood so I need to get back in the game. Maybe a better question: is trick or treating even a thing amymore? Seem to see less and less kids each year, but I digress.
Prepare to be disappointed. I get over 1000 kids per year at my door in NYC, but I do remember how shocked I was at how pathetic trick or treating was now, when I had a few years out of town.

-Always the 31st in NYC, but it really has devolved to local ordinances in the more pathetic towns.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like nobody goes trick or treating on Long Island anymore, at least in my town. Also no shaving cream and silly string battles. Hell, barley anybody even decorates their houses anymore around here.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I can't speak for every city, but in the handful of places I've lived in in North Texas, it's always the 31st, from about 6:30-8:30. I know local churches, community centers, malls, etc will have Halloween events (truck-or-treating and such) on the closest weekend, but when it comes to knocking on neighbor's doors, it's Halloween night.

As for volume of trick or treaters, depends on where you live. I get a whopping 12-30 kids. My parents live maybe 20 minutes away and get kids into the hundreds.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I remember as a kid in the late 90s and early 2000s, Trick or Treat was always on the 31st, no matter what. And it never started till the sun went down.

Now? Unless Halloween falls on a Saturday, Trick or Treat isn't ever on the 31st, and according to the city, the official hours are from 6-8. Which is better than previous years, when it was from 5-7.

It's bullshit and it makes me irrationally angry every year.