• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The game wasn't 60fps to begin with, it is a new release (I know what you mean).
if uncapped 30fps+ is terrible then console gaming have been terrible for 40 years.
It could've been better, sure, but for me its understandable with a small studio working on HD game, and the game looks very beautiful overall.
Nintendo is a great company, but I guess even they can't justify being perfectionists all the time anymore.

I already said I agreed terrible is too strong a word.

It's just a bummer, especially when it's such a huge series. I can understand if they were anxious about sales since it's a remake and very different than BotW (which IIRC is the series' best-selling game) but it would have been nice if they had taken the time to iron out the wrinkles. I don't put much weight into the studio making the game being small or the game being HD when they're working for Nintendo. This isn't exactly an indie game.

How many games that are currently in production are non-HD?

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I already said I agreed terrible is too strong a word.

It's just a bummer, especially when it's such a huge series. I can understand if they were anxious about sales since it's a remake and very different than BotW (which IIRC is the series' best-selling game) but it would have been nice if they had taken the time to iron out the wrinkles.

It is not about sales potential, I guess they had a deadline to meet no matter what alongside the new hardware (Switch Lite).

I don't put much weight into the studio making the game being small or the game being HD when they're working for Nintendo. This isn't exactly an indie game.

How many games that are currently in production are non-HD?

Actually, this is the first HD game for Grezzo as they were a 3DS developer. the whole company is 62 employees according to Wikipedia. I'm impressed they made a game that look this good.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It is not about sales potential, I guess they had a deadline to meet no matter what alongside the new hardware (Switch Lite).

Actually, this is the first HD game for Grezzo as they were a 3DS developer. the whole company is 62 employees according to Wikipedia. I'm impressed they made a game that look this good.

Regardless of the reason it's still disappointing. I feel like sales potential should have an impact. This is a game in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I would have really liked to see them employ the "A rushed game is bad forever" philosophy here. And again, not saying LA is terrible or anything, but certainly not as good as it could have been.

Is Nintendo still making games like Zelda for the 3DS? Just thought it was funny you specified HD as if there's any chance Nintendo would release a game that runs in 480p or something.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Maybe I'm just very easy to satisfy, but I really had no problems with the performance in Link's Awakening. There were some *mild* slowdowns in places, but I feel like that has been so overblown. Game was fine.

Well I do think it was noticable on the overworld but I do agree that it felt totally fine. Hardly hindered my enjoyment.

Still playing it and loving it. On my way to Dungeon 5 I believe.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about anyone else, but for my part it's certainly noticeable. Of course it could be better. Those who say it doesn't exist are straight up lying to themselves.

But the most hilarious thing of all, bar none, is the "OMG SO FUCKING ATROCIOUS UNPLAYABLE GARBAGE I'LL WAIT TILL THEY FIX THIS SHIT."

There's no goddamn way it's that bad. It's perfectly playable and a very enjoyable experience unless you're someone who worships at the shrine of "60fps LOCKED NO DIPS" god.

Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting for a patch. If they don't patch it, whatever, you lose nothing; the game is still going to be there in a few months' time. There's no time limit. If they do patch it, you get to have a better experience with it. Maybe you even get the game on sale.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Also, not for nothing, I sincerely doubt they'll ever patch it. With the way it sold, and the lack of any potential DLC, there's really no incentive to. I'm inclined to agree with Tim Rogers, he thinks it indicates that a Switch Pro is incoming:
That's a very strange deduction to make because of one poorly optimized game. I don't see the connection. Not even a little bit.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Good question OP, in general I don't associate Nintendo with quality anymore personally.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fire emblems bigger problem is the bad aesthetics rather than performance.

The drops in LA didn't affect me at all.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Maybe I'm just very easy to satisfy, but I really had no problems with the performance in Link's Awakening. There were some *mild* slowdowns in places, but I feel like that has been so overblown. Game was fine.
Consider yourself lucky to be one of those not too affected by framerate drops. For some people, sensitivity to framerate drops are a debilitating condition that causes intense brain malfunctions similar to an aneurysm and spurs on an inability to enjoy life. What seems like a *mild* slowdown for you, is like freezing time for these people, like being trapped inside your body with a million thoughts running at once but being unable to move at a normal pace.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People still defending LA's regular drops to 50% of target frame rate huh. It doesn't look like LM3 is going to be awful like that, thankfully.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Link's Awakening is absolutely below average when it comes to performance, it literally is terrible if you care much about consistent frame rate.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Luigi's Mansion will look and perform well, the same team did the Dark Moon 3DS game that was pleasant for a 3DS, and they are known for having good tech most of the times.

About 3H and LA, I'm really only surprised about LA. 3H has been developed mostly by the Musou team, so it was kind of expected. LA is a big mistery for me, Nintendo doesn't care about 60 FPS on Zelda that much and they have released really good patched for BotW, even if this game is just a remake it has the Zelda name.

I don't think this means at all that Ninendo is dropping their quality standards, it feels almost anecdotical, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
That's a very strange deduction to make because of one poorly optimized game. I don't see the connection. Not even a little bit.
I guess I'm basing that on a hunch, Nintendo is famously non-communicative so it engenders speculation like this from me.

I noticed the performance from the very first trailer and hands-on previews, and assured myself that it would be fixed. If they made it all the way to release, and the problem is so pernicious that it shows up in the intro of the game and its marketing footage, I'm guessing it's something more fundamental that can't be fixed without a more powerful Switch model.

Also, given that it's not really a "live" game, there's no incentive for them to fix it because it sold a ton, has a great metacritic score, and there's no promise of DLC (like Breath of the Wild) or any kind of connectivity on the horizon. Credit where it's due, Nintendo did fix the promised multiplayer option in Mario Maker. I don't imagine that happening with a self-contained game like Link's Awakening. It just kind of "is."

Reviews and sales were both great, so clearly it wasn't a deal breaker for a ton of people, which is also why Nintendo might just leave it as is. A lot of people say it's a non-issue, but a good amount of people are still bothered by them. TBH I don't think it's cool to exaggerate and strawman fans who had just hoped for the more seamless prestige experience that this gorgeous game deserves. Especially at a $60 dollar price tag.

Last edited:

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Yep, LA had pretty jarring performance issues. Although it did not bother me as much as I expected. I guess it's the the top down perspective that helps. If a third/first person game where you can rotate the camera had those drops it would actually have been terrible.

Also, for some reason I found it much more tolerable in hand held mode even though the performance is basically identical.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched any of that footage, I've been trying to avoid previews for this game. I just made this thread to see if other people had any info on what the performance would be like.
Nintendo posted some new trailers on their website that have been uploaded by a youtuber. Naturally these videos do not give anything away except how it performs, which is looking to be a very stable 30fps atm.:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You do realize that all these games are diffrent kind of games developed by diffrent teams right ?

But, it's still a Switch game, so the chances of not having native resolution docked or handheld are about 80% to 20%.

And that's what's always killing a game purchase for me on Switch. I'm out if it's not at least native in handheld mode.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
It's quite debatable to say if FE: Three Houses and Link's Awakening are considered "terrible" by people. Both have some jarring issues. (Less so in FE because outside of bad graphical style I don't hear much else. There's even an option for player between better framerates or image quality) So I'll leave that for people to judge. I also would give Greezo some slacks since Link's Awakening is their first HD development after all. And apparently the engine Koei Tecmo uses for Three Houses is not optimized very well for the Switch.

Luigl's Mansion 3, on the other hand. Looks quite stunning. And run pretty consistent too (at 30fps) Even in local multiplayer the game seems to run fine. But we'll see how it really perform when it releases.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I guess I'm basing that on a hunch, Nintendo is famously non-communicative so it engenders speculation like this from me.

I noticed the performance from the very first trailer and hands-on previews, and assured myself that it would be fixed. If they made it all the way to release, and the problem is so pernicious that it shows up in the intro of the game and its marketing footage, I'm guessing it's something more fundamental that can't be fixed without a more powerful Switch model.

Also, given that it's not really a "live" game, there's no incentive for them to fix it because it sold a ton, has a great metacritic score, and there's no promise of DLC (like Breath of the Wild) or any kind of connectivity on the horizon. Credit where it's due, Nintendo did fix the promised multiplayer option in Mario Maker. I don't imagine that happening with a self-contained game like Link's Awakening. It just kind of "is."

Reviews and sales were both great, so clearly it wasn't a deal breaker for a ton of people, which is also why Nintendo might just leave it as is. A lot of people say it's a non-issue, but a good amount of people are still bothered by them. TBH I don't think it's cool to exaggerate and strawman fans who had just hoped for the more seamless prestige experience that this gorgeous game deserves. Especially at a $60 dollar price tag.
I still don't see a reason why Links's Awakening having a bad frame rate is evidence a Switch Pro exists.