• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Both FE:TH and Link's Awakening are pretty terrible on a technical level...what are the chances Luigi's Mansion 3 is also going to suffer from either poor image quality or random frame rate issues? Only asking cause I'm pretty shocked that Nintendo has released some games recently that are really not optimized very well, which is very unusual for them.

edit...damnit, didn't realize this wasn't in gaming.
edit2...thanks for moving it to gaming.

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
To me personally i think the game will look pretty spooky

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just very easy to satisfy, but I really had no problems with the performance in Link's Awakening. There were some *mild* slowdowns in places, but I feel like that has been so overblown. Game was fine.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Damn, normally someone can shit-post if a post accidentally makes it to the gaming side.

Much harder to come up with something if it's accidentally on this side :(

Oct 29, 2017
Everything we've seen so far is absolutely sensational. And early pixel counts of docked mode indicate native 1080p; running at an unwavering 30FPS.

Looks to be the single most impressive game on the console by a fair margin. Which stands to region considering that it's the first real, tailor-made For Switch Only first party title (except for Ring Fit Adventure I suppose, Which is now going to just barely beat it to the punch now).

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Which stands to region considering that it's the first real, tailor-made For Switch Only first party title (except for Ring Fit Adventure I suppose, Which is now going to just barely beat it to the punch now).
Not quite! NLG confirmed at E3 that the project started on the Wii U. The first made-for-Switch title to release was ARMS.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry, after playing the E3 demo, said it appeared to be running 1080p with either a temporal anti-aliasing technique or temporal reconstruction technique. Either way, they noted positive things about the image quality. For framerate, it ran at 30 fps but with some framepacing issues.

We're only a couple weeks away from launch. We'll hear a lot more about how the final game performs soon.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Digital Foundry, after playing the E3 demo, said it appeared to be running 1080p with either a temporal anti-aliasing technique or temporal reconstruction technique. Either way, they noted positive things about the image quality. For framerate, it ran at 30 fps but with some framepacing issues.

We're only a couple weeks away from launch. We'll hear a lot more about how the final game performs soon.

Frame pacing issues? Please fuck no

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Both FE:TH and Link's Awakening are pretty terrible on a technical level...what are the chances Luigi's Mansion 3 is also going to suffer from either poor image quality or random frame rate issues? Only asking cause I'm pretty shocked that Nintendo has released some games recently that are really not optimized very well, which is very unusual for them.

edit...damnit, didn't realize this wasn't in gaming.

Your post history on anything Nintendo is interesting.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
User Warned: Avatar shaming
Your post history on anything Nintendo is interesting.

18022.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that all these games are diffrent kind of games developed by diffrent teams right ?

You must not play many games if you think 3H and Links Awakening run "terrible".

OP
OP
AnimeJesus

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that all these games are diffrent kind of games developed by diffrent teams right ?

You must not play many games if you think 3H and Links Awakening run "terrible".

Ya I realize that but Nintendo puts their name on them so they still have a hand in these...I mean they obviously gave them the OK to release in the state they are in. I also try to avoid games that have really bad performance issues. I gave up on FE pretty early but I somehow managed to push through the issues and finish LA.

Sep 25, 2018
lol...really. People dig through other peoples post history? Any choice posts you are referring too?

you a troll, someone should just closed this thread he wasting everyone time being bored

just pick up a different game on your ps4 or Xbox and enjoy your month

anytime this poster ask anything nintendo related just leave his thread empty

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Seeing people get defensive when Link's Awakening's terrible frame rate gets called out is funny.

OP
OP
AnimeJesus

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
you a troll, someone should just closed this thread he wasting everyone time being bored

just pick up a different game on your ps4 or Xbox and enjoy your month

anytime this poster ask anything nintendo related just leave his thread empty

Seriously?? I just started a thread asking for performance info on LM3 based on the questionable technical performance of recently released Nintendo games. Ya'll got me digging through my post history now and I'm really failing to understand the reasoning for posts like this.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Maybe I'm just very easy to satisfy, but I really had no problems with the performance in Link's Awakening. There were some *mild* slowdowns in places, but I feel like that has been so overblown. Game was fine.

I, on the other hand, thought Links Awakenings problems were overblown on Era but it was a mess even for me (only played in handheld mode)

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Is Link's Awakening really considered "terrible" on a technical level?? Didn't DF say it was a "magnificent achievement" despite some minor framerate drops?

Know that in my playthrough at least the framerate issues were noticeable but nowhere near the slideshow they have been described at times lol

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Neither FE:TH nor Link's Awakening are terrible technically. I'm sure Luigi's Mansion 3 will be just as playable as those games too.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FE:TH looks rough af and IQ and performance during battles is pretty damn bad..are you really saying otherwise? I get that some people really are'nt sensitive to this kind of stuff but yes, both FE:TH and LA are "terribly" optimized for Nintendo games.

The thing is a lot of "Nintendo games" aren't actually developed by Nintendo these days so their "standards" don't carry over.

Fire Emblem Three Houses, Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 being three such games.

Nintendo's internal teams basically develop 2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and Animal Crossing with smaller teams developing software like 1-2 Switch and Ring Adventure. Sometimes you get a smaller budget surprise title like Pikmin 3.

It's understandable in terms of modern game development resources that so many of their games are developed by partner studios.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing from Luigi's Mansion 3 seems to indicate any kind of performance problems. It's not exactly a fast paced action game or wide open areas either, though. NLG are fantastic devs and I expect nothing less than a stellar performing game.

Link's Awakening's frame rate issues were apparent every time the was shown. Nothing like that for LM3

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Nothing from Luigi's Mansion 3 seems to indicate any kind of performance problems. It's not exactly a fast paced action game or wide open areas either, though. NLG are fantastic devs and I expect nothing less than a stellar performing game.

I assumed the same thing about Link's Awakening being a top down 2D game and look how that turned out.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assumed the same thing about Link's Awakening being a top down 2D game and look how that turned out.
Link's Awakening is a full 3D game(albeit with a fixed camera angle) with some heavy effects. Certainly shouldn't be running poorly, but its frame rate issues were known well ahead of time. LM3 has been rock solid from what we've seen so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Everything we've seen so far is absolutely sensational. And early pixel counts of docked mode indicate native 1080p; running at an unwavering 30FPS.

Looks to be the single most impressive game on the console by a fair margin. Which stands to region considering that it's the first real, tailor-made For Switch Only first party title (except for Ring Fit Adventure I suppose, Which is now going to just barely beat it to the punch now).
Not quite! NLG confirmed at E3 that the project started on the Wii U. The first made-for-Switch title to release was ARMS.
Yeah, I'm confused by the bolded too.
Were Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Mario Party, Yoshi, Kirby, Link's Awakening, LABOĂ—4, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem, MUA and more I'm probably forgetting not developed with the Switch in mind?

OP
OP
AnimeJesus

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Is Link's Awakening really considered "terrible" on a technical level?? Didn't DF say it was a "magnificent achievement" despite some minor framerate drops?

Know that in my playthrough at least the framerate issues were noticeable but nowhere near the slideshow they have been described at times lol

I think DF had a lot more to say on the framerate other than it being minor drops:

Terrible? Does LA drop below 30fps?

It don't think it drops below 30 but it does drop\fluctuate from 60 to 30 pretty often which can be pretty jarring.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Link's Awakening is a full 3D game(albeit with a fixed camera angle) with some heavy effects. Certainly shouldn't be running poorly, but its frame rate issues were known well ahead of time. LM3 has been rock solid from what we've seen so far.

We definitely knew LA had major issues pre release but I'm just saying that LM not having fast paced gameplay or wide open areas doesn't mean much, you could say the same thing about LA.

It's actually hilarious to me.

The most hilarious thing is when people insist that they can't see any and drops or performance issues in Link's Awakening.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening chugs noticeably any time you move to a different screen, throw a pot, see an enemy's particle effect attack, cut some grass... It isn't a sustained slideshow, but the framerate is all over the place, constantly fluctuating from 60-30 (and, yes, below) in a way that's impossible to ignore. In any given 30 second chunk of gameplay you're going to see the framerate chug. To pretend there's 'nothing wrong, everything's fine, lol Era standards' is just being silly.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not too observant of frame rate but yeah I've noticed hitches in Links Awkening that are pretty constant. Not like it's happening all the time but it's not like it's exactly rare either. Liking the game a lot, but I think the criticisms on its performance are pretty fair.

It's not deal breaking, but if you're sensitive to frame rate issues it's something to consider.

Now judging by Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon on 3DS I think this game will run well. But maybe I'm misremembering how well it ran, but I was never taken out of Dark Moon like I am at times with LA. NLG are some of my favorite Nintendo devs, we'll see when reviews start popping up.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Luigi's Mansion 3 really started development on WiiU? :(
Fuck, since the WiiU was announced I hoped we'd see a Luigi's Mansion on it that used the Gamepad to check the surroundings in first person to spot ghosts invisible on the main screen (I think that's what Fatal Frame 5 did). I'm sure that's what they had planned. Luigi always has a console with him, so he would have had a gamepad this time.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most hilarious thing is when people insist that they can't see any and drops or performance issues in Link's Awakening.

I don't know about anyone else, but for my part it's certainly noticeable. Of course it could be better. Those who say it doesn't exist are straight up lying to themselves.

But the most hilarious thing of all, bar none, is the "OMG SO FUCKING ATROCIOUS UNPLAYABLE GARBAGE I'LL WAIT TILL THEY FIX THIS SHIT."

There's no goddamn way it's that bad. It's perfectly playable and a very enjoyable experience unless you're someone who worships at the shrine of "60fps LOCKED NO DIPS" god.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Terrible? Does LA drop below 30fps?

Is stuttering OK as long as it doesn't dip below 30?

LA's performance was diappointing for first-party Nintendo game. Not terrible in the grand scheme of things, but pretty shocking for a $60 port of a handheld game, and one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. The game looks incredible, but that's mostly down to it's art style, it really doesn't look like it should be taxing the system like it does.

I haven't play Fire Emblem and didn't know that also has performance issues, that's worrying. It seems like games that would have traditionally been on handhelds aren't being made with the same care that premier games like Odyssey and BotW are.

I don't know about anyone else, but for my part it's certainly noticeable. Of course it could be better. Those who say it doesn't exist are straight up lying to themselves.

But the most hilarious thing of all, bar none, is the "OMG SO FUCKING ATROCIOUS UNPLAYABLE GARBAGE I'LL WAIT TILL THEY FIX THIS SHIT."

There's no goddamn way it's that bad. It's perfectly playable and a very enjoyable experience unless you're someone who worships at the shrine of "60fps LOCKED NO DIPS" god.

Bottom line is it could have been better. No need to highlight these extreme opinions that likely aren't held by many people.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
To me? it is not ideal, but not terrible for sure.

If I read that without knowing anything I would've thought the game drops below 20fps all the time.

Everything's relative. A game that's usually 60fps dropping to 30 feels as jarring as a 30fps dropping to 15. I agree terrible may be overkill as a descriptor, but it sure isn't great.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
A game that's usually 60fps dropping to 30 feels as jarring as a 30fps dropping to 15

The game wasn't 60fps to begin with, it is a new release (I know what you mean).
if uncapped 30fps+ is terrible then console gaming have been terrible for 40 years.
It could've been better, sure, but for me its understandable with a small studio working on HD game, and the game looks very beautiful overall.
Nintendo is a great company, but I guess even them can't justify being perfectionists all the time anymore.