• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Kylo's saber (combined with Adam Driver being a pretty big dude) is the one I tend to think looks like it does the most damage. It's the big broadsword of Lightsabers.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I like Anakin's 2nd light sabre design and Darth Vader's,

3ivvedy964321.jpg

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is into Kylo's Saber but wanted to see it in a non-red variant:

3OZAKNE.jpg

That said, my favorite has to be the Jedi Temple Pikes. I always felt like the more common double sided lightsabers from Maul look unbalanced and hard to maneuver. It's like the blade to hilt ratio is off. These make more sense to me, and I'd love to see Rey use something like this since it seems more akin to her Staff/Pole thing from TFA

mozfsUo.jpg

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Luke's ROTJ saber. The design of the hilt is amazing, the green colour is unreal (and I will forever associate it with having "mastered the Jedi ways" because I always thought that as a kid - Luke was a Jedi Knight by ROTJ and the green colour was a signifier), and the SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT'S ENGAGED MY GOD.

Mar 29, 2018
You work at EA? You would not by any chance know if the decision for the lightsabers in Fallen Order to cast shadows was made by the game designers or directly by Disney? I am really curious, because for years, I have argued that the canonical depiction of lightsabers was to not cast shadows, because in the movies the digitally created lightsabers such as Yoda's all did not cast shadows, so I thought that saber shadows in the movies were an oversight during (post)production. They did not cast shadows in most games of the LucasArts era, but started being depicted casting shadows in the Clone Wars animated show, so I am wondering what's the official stance by LFL/Disney at this point.

they totally should not cast shadows
Fire casts a shadow. I think by that metric lightsabers should. The old movies didn't do shadows because they couldn't, and adding them in post, even today, would look shitty.

I love the way it's two lightsabers that connect into one, that can itself be wielded either as a single lightsaber or a double bladed one.

They do the same thing in Fallen Order and it is just dope as shit.

That is a very, very big spoiler imo. It's from very late in the game. Tag it.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I thought about this a lot before heading to Galaxy's Edge, because I knew I wanted to buy at least one legacy saber, and ultimately Luke's ROTJ lightsaber took the cake.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fire casts a shadow. I think by that metric lightsabers should.
By that metric, space battles should be quiet, but they aren't. I think fire is not the same as a lightsaber and having it cast a shadow is kind of weird, like it detracts from the supposed lightness of a lightsaber. It really takes me out of the movie for a second when I witness it.

The old movies didn't do shadows because they couldn't, and adding them in post, even today, would look shitty.
It's the other way around, the old movies didn't remove shadows that were visible in ROTJ because they couldn't, but in the newer movies, all CGI sabers where shadows are literally a matter of flicking an ON/OFF switch did not cast shadows. The same goes for videogames:

212690-ps2_revengesith_07.jpg

So I assume that either by mistake all cg sabers had their cast shadow option turned off, or it was a concious decision that they shouldn't cast any. Also, adding shadows is not at all an obstacle in modern post production. Especially since like 90% of the times, sabers cast shadows in the first place during filming because they used non-glowing rods until the ST.

I think it's just an aesthetics thing, but when I think shadows, I think of something looming over you or something disconnecting you from the light, dramatically, both of which are pretty much the opposite what a lightsaber should be doing.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's one thing we can definitely all agree on, the way Adam Driver has shaped Kylo Ren and created a lightsaber fighting style and stance that is unique to the character is 50% of the reason why that saber is so fucking cool, and why it doesn't come across as totally stupid in the films.

The dude sells the fuck out of it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I like Luke's Green one:

Best colour blade.
Looks more steam-punk than plastic toy.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You work at EA? You would not by any chance know if the decision for the lightsabers in Fallen Order to cast shadows was made by the game designers or directly by Disney? I am really curious, because for years, I have argued that the canonical depiction of lightsabers was to not cast shadows, because in the movies the digitally created lightsabers such as Yoda's all did not cast shadows, so I thought that saber shadows in the movies were an oversight during (post)production. They did not cast shadows in most games of the LucasArts era, but started being depicted casting shadows in the Clone Wars animated show, so I am wondering what's the official stance by LFL/Disney at this point.

they totally should not cast shadows
Dunno what their deal is, lightsabers in our game dont cast shadows and I agree that they shouldnt.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, no kidding. It is a creative lowpoint in what should be an incredible two-parter. I literally just watched 'em both this morning...

I haven't seen anything beyond Rebels S2, but I'm really hoping they don't use it again. It's the nadir of the "creative" lightsabers. Even Kylo Ren's has more going for it.

Season 3 is where Rebels really finds its stride. I'm assuming from your comment that you've stopped with S2? If so give S3 a shot if that's not your cup of tea then yeah you might as well drop it.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sucker for non traditional sabers. Ren's and Maul's are pretty high up on list, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the overall design of Maul's original. I kind of dig his replacement one though that's got the cane thing going for it. Mace's and the Temple Guards are really high on the list too for the unique blade colors, yellow being my favorite.

That one the Wookie Jedi makes in The Clone Wars that incorporates would is fantastic too.

Honorable mention to Obi Wan's final design as he's my favorite character.

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
It's the other way around, the old movies didn't remove shadows that were visible in ROTJ because they couldn't, but in the newer movies, all CGI sabers where shadows are literally a matter of flicking an ON/OFF switch did not cast shadows. The same goes for videogames:
So I assume that either by mistake all cg sabers had their cast shadow option turned off, or it was a concious decision that they shouldn't cast any. Also, adding shadows is not at all an obstacle in modern post production. Especially since like 90% of the times, sabers cast shadows in the first place during filming because they used non-glowing rods until the ST.

This isn't how visual effects work. They'd still need to manually remove the shadows cast by the stunt sabers, it's not as simple as an "on/off" option. Just sounds like a different artistic decision was made at some point.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vader's. Always. I have a soft spot for Plo Koon's yellow sabre from Jedi Power Battles though.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't how visual effects work. They'd still need to manually remove the shadows cast by the stunt sabers, it's not as simple as an "on/off" option. Just sounds like a different artistic decision was made at some point.
Note how I specifically talked about the CG sabers, as in wielded by 100% CG characters like Yoda with no stunt blades whatsoever.

Raging Spaniard I see. Thank you for the information, that's quite interesting.

Mar 29, 2018
Note how I specifically talked about the CG sabers, as in wielded by 100% CG characters like Yoda with no stunt blades whatsoever.

Raging Spaniard I see. Thank you for the information, that's quite interesting.
I'm not sure, they still expend tons of rendering power and time to make these CGI scenes have realistic and consistent lighting. They probably could tell the engine not to render shadows for lightsabers - but maybe they can't. It's not the same as game development. We don't really know.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan always had the best sabers. Luke's green saber is also one of my favorites as it's heavily based on Obi's last hilt.

obi-wan-kenobi-lightsabers_51711932.jpeg

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure, they still expend tons of rendering power and time to make these CGI scenes have realistic and consistent lighting. They probably could tell the engine not to render shadows for lightsabers - but maybe they can't. It's not the same as game development. We don't really know.
Most CGI of the prequels was created in Maya and yes, you can turn rendering shadows off there for objects individually, so I doubt that their proprietary software and renderers would not be able to do that. Which is pretty evident by the fact that those sabers in fact do not cast shadows.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm basic but the default Anakin/Luke/Rey lightsaber will always be a thing of beauty to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Anakin's blue and Luke's green are easy mode so I'll mention the other ones I love.

Kylo Ren
EbThEHN.gif

Temple Guard (folding variant)
xgdnAg1.gif

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you can add two more to my favorites list.

Love the Leia saber and it's awesome to finally have another color in the movies even if it's only there very briefly.

Bring on Rey and her yellow saber EU!