• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I mean, given that the town was apparently re-infected by Plagas some time after the events of the game because of poor containment procedures and the increased "Umbrella Corps" mercenary-proxy incursions, there's a pretty good chance he's still alive.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Oh god I remember some people back before release had theories that the Merchant would end up being Chris Redfield in disguise!

Um I think he's probably dead, I mean do we know what happened to the village post game?

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
He must have gotten the weapons he sells from somewhere. I think he smuggled them from Umbrella. And he's selling them to Leon, the enemy. The villagers and Umbrella must want him dead but somehow he manages to avoid detection.

My theory is the blue fire light that he always have around his shops helps him to avoid detection or acts as a repellant to the plaga infected people.

I mean dude sets up shooting galleries in the castle and gives away weapons to the enemy as prizes, there's no way they would allow this right?

Oct 25, 2017
He was almost part of an RE6 costume for Leon
latest

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
He must have gotten the weapons he sells from somewhere. I think he smuggled them from Umbrella. And he's selling them to Leon, the enemy. The villagers and Umbrella must want him dead but somehow he manages to avoid detection.

My theory is the blue fire light that he always have around his shops helps him to avoid detection or acts as a repellant to the plaga infected people.

I mean dude sets up shooting galleries in the castle and gives away weapons to the enemy as prizes, there's no way they would allow this right?
The Merchant is infected by Plaga, Umbrella was long gone by the time of RE4.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
He is selling burgers at Mcdonalds in America. After the famous rural mass murders in Spain, the economy for high-end weapons and weapon upgrades tanked. The mass murderer, ie the biggest customer leaving the region did not help either.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Fan theory: he was an intentionally vague character put in place to service a shop mechanic and beyond that, he is nobody of note and is doing nothing.

It's a wild one, I know.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I like to think he retired to a private island with his giant wooden chests of pesetas.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
The Merchant not becoming a staple of the series after RE4, and appearing in every game featuring weapons upgrades since, is the biggest injustice in the video game industry.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Did he also have a jet ski? I last saw him at the bottom of that elevator before the entire island blew up.

Callego

Nov 22, 2017
Wasn't the briefly seen merchant at the beginning of RE5 the same guy at one point in development? I vaguely remember hearing it was going to be him.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
But I thought that the game was a virtual training simulation?
Not mostly. While the mansion and the Raccoon City streets are presented as training recreations, they're not virtual at all. The explanation for all the settings is that containment is hard and the BSAA and TerraSave and similar organisations are just not funded enough to actually keep up with the huge amount of biohazard incidents. As it stands they end up quarantining parts that they just do not have the manpower to clear these areas completely, so it is common for 3rd party bioweapon companies to send their mercenaries into these Biohazards to obtain samples and data.

The Merchant not becoming a staple of the series after RE4, and appearing in every game featuring weapons upgrades since, is the biggest injustice in the video game industry.
The iOS game adaptation of Resident Evil Degeneration actually had a merchant in it very similar to the one in RE4.